Code of Conduct

Default New to Buying Colognes

Hi everyone, I have been waiting to get a few new colognes in the near future, but I have no idea what to buy! *I was looking around on google and I stumbled upon basenotes--I must say, this site--the Basenotes community--is awesome and has so much information! *However, that makes it harder for me *

Anyway, I'm 21, male, just entering the professional world. *I live in the city and am in Medical School. *For those of you in the US, my clothing staple is stuff from Express Men and Banana Republic. *I used to use Curve and a few of the Nautica colognes (I bought them when I was still in high school and never changed them!), and I think I've finally grown out of these.

I'd like to buy three fragrances:
    1+2. *Something clean(but not too fresh or acidic) and unique for everday wear (one for spring/summer and one for Autumn/Winter)
    3. *Something very classy and smooth, (but not for "older men&quot for when I go out at night.

These were some fragrances that caught my attention (I know these are probably very eclectic, but if someone could give me a general categorization of these, it would be extremely helpful!

Armand Basi
    JHL
    Roberto Cavalli Man
    Black XS from Paco Rabanne
    M7 fresh
    M7 original
    Baldasserini by Hugo Boss
    Tea for Two from L'Artisan
    Havana Reserva by Aramis
    Kouros
    Hamptons by Bond No. 9 New York
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Relax by Davidoff
    Himalaya by Creed
    Envy by Gucci
    JHL by Aramis
    Ocean by Club Med
    ck one
    Brit by Burberry
    Halston Z-14
    Ungaro III
    212 Men
    BLV pour homme
    FCUK him
    Jaipur
    Givenchy Xeryus
    Palisander
    Tam Dao
    Halston Unbound
    chanel allure home
    Farenheit
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Caron Yatagan

Thanks everyone!

Oh, and one more thing that I forgot: *is there a place where I can go and test all of these colognes without running around in a Department Store?

Default Re: New to Buying Colognes

First off I would like to welcome you to basenotes! You seem to have a good idea as to what you are looking for and that is always helpful when asking for assistance... it makes my life a little easier.

As someone entering the professional world you will like something nice to the nose that is not going to overdue your presense in the room but you would still like to smell good when close to people. For that purpose I would say the Green Irish Tweed, CK One, Allure, Vetiver, Blv, M7 Fresh, Baldasserini, and 212 would work.

I have heard that the medical profession works better as a scentless one. Sometimes it just doesn't belong in a hospital. I'm not doctor and have no experience but I have heard such talk about the matter.

For #3, I would suggest the following: Tea for Two (my favorite), Himalaya, Envy, Brit, and Jaipur.

Some of those are unknown to my nose but out of the ones I do know that is what I came up with.

Extra suggestions would be:
    #1/2 - Neroli Sauvage by Creed (my favorite summer time frag ever!), Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren (always nice), and Live Jazz by YSL
    #3 - Lolita Lempicka, A*men, Animale Animale, John Varvatos, Dior Homme, Chergui, and Fumerie Turque

Ok, that is my crazy list. I hope that it did at least some of what you wanted it to do. Good luck with your hunt for new stuff. It is always a fun thing to do. ;D ;D

EnvYuS

Thanks That helps a bunch!

Yes, usually in hospitals we aren't supposed to have any scent. However, I haven't gotten to rotations in the Hospital which go on during the final two years of med school. So, for the next two years, much of it will be, well, like college.

Now, I just have to try all of these to see what fits

Other opinions would be awesome too--I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Also, could someone give me a bit of help with how to go about trying these out? Perhaps decants, as a member mentioned to me already, samples online, or going to a store to try them out? For a reference, I have access to Philadelphia and New York.

Hey ck, how ya doin'?

Trying out scents... let's see... you definately want to have a sample or decant that you can take home with you to try on. Just smelling a card or spraying at a store is a bit risky. It's just nice to give things a few wearings before buying. For the designer scents, Nordstroms and Sephora are nice about samples and have good return policies. You can also order things from discount websites such as Scentiments.com. For the niche scents, there are some websites that have good sample plans (i.e. pay $15 bucks or so and get 8 samples of your choice). Aedes, Luscious Cargo, and Luckyscent have great selections.

Now for my recs, which I'll keep short and simple as to not overwhelm you.

Fresh spring/summer: Cologne by Thierry Mugler
    Fresh fall/winter: Geir by Geir Ness
    Medium strength nighttime scent: Envy by Gucci
    Extremely strong nightime scent: Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

These are all scents that I own and can vouch for. They are high quality, reasonably priced, and if it matters to you, girls love them. If you want this to be simple, check out those scents. If you actually want to join the community and go on crazy scent searches, then tell me and I'll help you more. That would be cool since you seem like a good guy. Also, make sure to listen to Envyus, the guy knows what he's talkin about.

A nice everyday scent for either summer or fall is Bvlgari PH. It's not the conventional citrus fresh mixture, and wears quite close to the skin always.

Mugler cologne is the ultimate summer frag as far as i'm concerned. It never fails to smell nice and fit in, and it lasts. You won't smell like cologne- you will smell clean and approachable. If there were ever a scent for a hospital, this has to be it. L'Eau par Kenzo is also very fresh and pleasant for summer, but I have trouble with lasting power.

Good everyday frags for fall/winter are Yang, Bvlgari Black, Escada Magnetism and yes, Geir for sure. All of these could double as social scene scents easily. So you wouldn't have to buy a separate scent for going out.

Good luck!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by cksnipe
    Yes, usually in hospitals we aren't supposed to have any scent. *However, I haven't gotten to rotations in the Hospital which go on during the final two years of med school. *So, for the next two years, much of it will be, well, like college. *

Now, I just have to try all of these to see what fits *

Hi,

I'm a cardiologist, it's been 7 years since I finished med school, but I certainly don't think fragrance is off limits to us. Most of my patients appreciate (I think) a clean and nice smelling doc - although after a 24 hour shift I'm more worried about bad breath and BO than whether I'm offending anyone with cologne!

Certainly you can't overdo it and precipitate an asthma attack (could you get sued? maybe in the States you could )

For this reason, some people may hvae noticed that my tastes are quite conservative. I like the clean fresh smells, but not the new age aquatic / ozonals, but the classics:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Frederick Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Creed GIT

You would NEVER go wrong with any of these in hopsital, as long as you are not bathing in it. Most of these would also fit your criteria for 1 (spring / summer) and could easily be worn in 2 (autumn / winter) too.

For other 2 (autumn / winter) you could try Guerlain L'Instant, Gucci Envy, YSL M7, Dior Homme.

Definitely try Rive Gauche - you can wear that anytime, and I do wear it to work, actually had lots of compliments on it, maybe it's a little strong for a doc but I don't think so. Azzaro PH would be same.

And of the ones you suggested:

M7 fresh - very nice
    M7 original - very nice
    Baldasserini by Hugo Boss - very clean with a little sweetness, good for work
    Tea for Two from L'Artisan - smoky, sweet and seductive, definitely fits 3
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed - definitely
    Himalaya by Creed - very nice
    Envy by Gucci - great for 2 or 3, probably not for hospital
    BLV pour homme - great for 2 or 3, one of my consultants wears it
    Guerlain Vetiver - already stated

You have excellent taste - good luck in your studies!

Ged

Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    A nice everyday scent for either summer or fall is Bvlgari PH. *It's not the conventional citrus fresh mixture, and wears quite close to the skin always.

Good luck!
    Doh! Forgot this one - Bvlgari PH is another great suggestion.

And for 3 (classy, unique, night) what about Creed Tabarome in addition to the sweet / sexy ones like Envy, M7 and T4T?

Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Overcome By Fumes

Gucci Envy for Men would be a good choice.

I could not agree with the doctor of cardiology enough.....I'm in radiology myself, and if it can be worn in a hospital setting without offending, hell, it can be worn anywhere. I've had great luck with Gendarme, GIT, Kiton for Men, even Creed's BdP if applied very lightly. My dad who is also in the field of medicine, he wears nothing but AdG and Armani Mania and code....no accounting for taste, he's 54...but yet wears these scents well, as he is only 20 years old at heart. I guess it's all in application...

Thanks everyone, this info helps a ton!

Now, on to the fun part - trying some of them

Hell yeah, I'm still trying out some of the others mentioned on this board....I've been wearing the frag since I was about 14 or so, that's over 15 years...good luck trying them out...I haven't been dissapointed yet and I've gone from the designer to the niche...others have their negative opinons on such, but I haven't found one I didn't like, and that's the key...do you like it? Well, then good choice! I went and bought one cause it had my maternal family name in it...just for S's and G's....why not?! No one else has tried it or given a critique...so why not...if it smells good to you and you like it...who cares really? I buy this stuff cause I like it. Enjoy....soon enough you'll get the bug like everyone else here...hell, I didn't have this addiction until I came upon this site...but it's a hell of a lot healthier than 99% of the stuff out there...=)

Quote Originally Posted by cksnipe
    Hi everyone, I have been waiting to get a few new colognes in the near future, but I have no idea what to buy! *I was looking around on google and I stumbled upon basenotes--I must say, this site--the Basenotes community--is awesome and has so much information! *However, that makes it harder for me *
    You obviously haven't figured out that most of us here are simply a band of raving lunatics! * Sort of like the residents of a well-scented Hotel California.

Anyway, I'm 21, male, just entering the professional world. *I live in the city and am in Medical School. *
    Congrats! I graduated from medical school 17 years ago. I'm an Internist (great specialty, by the way!) and epidemiologist, primarily making my living as the latter now.

I'd like to buy three fragrances:
    1+2. *Something clean(but not too fresh or acidic) and unique for everday wear (one for spring/summer and one for Autumn/Winter)
    3. *Something very classy and smooth, (but not for "older men&quot for when I go out at night...

Lots of nice choices...
    I agree that those of us involved in direct patient care, including medical students and residents, should be very discreet with the fragrance they wear; what with multiple chemical sensitivities and related disorders, migraine sufferers, etc., all of which are, of course, found more often in medical settings. *However, I do wear scent and have done so successfullly. While on non-patient care days I like to spray some of my SOTD on my hands and wrists, I avoid doing so on patient care days. Rather, on these days I suffice with a spray or two to my torso, allowing a faint scent to gradually rise if not staying very close to the body. In this way I have never had a patient be obviously offended or irritated by any scent I have worn.

As for your desire to buy 3 fragrances, I'll assume that you would wish to wear all of them in the medical environment. If true, this of course influences my recommendations. For clean and somewhat unique Spring/Summer I would suggest sampling the following:

Lanvin L'Homme
    Bulgari Pour Homme and Blu Pour Homme
    Luciano Soprani

For clean and somewhat unique Fall/Winter I would suggest sampling the following:

Hermes Rocabar
    Michael Kors
    Hermes Equipage

For when you go out, the sky's the limit, and I would suggest sampling the following:

Versace Dreamer
    Gucci Envy
    Caron L'Anarchiste

Almost all of these you can sample at most Nordstrom's, and most of them at Macy's, Bloomingdale's, etc. Good luck and please share your impressions and selections with us!

Jeff

After some thinking, I went on a binge and bought these:

L'eau D'issey 4.2 oz (ebay)
    Black XS 1.7 oz (scentiments.com)
    Cologne by Thierry Mugler 2.6 oz (stuigi)

1/4 oz decants of: (Vegas)
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Laguna by Salvador Dali
    Gucci Envy
    Live Jazz
    Guerlain AA Winter Delice (1/6 oz)
    Burberry Brit
    Burberry Touch
    Jacques Fath Yang

and some samples thanks to Vegas and eisho:
    M7
    M7 Fresh
    Floris Sandalwood
    Hamptons by No. 9 New York

I can't wait to try all of these!

However, after using paypal, credit card problems started popping up again-- looks like someone has access to my paypal, and I wont be using my card for a while hehe.