Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Smile Hi, I'm new, need advice please?

Hi,
    I'm looking for a Frankincense/Myrrh type of fragrance, and having read a bit of the forum posts, i seem to be a bit of a foody gourman perfume wearer, with my favourites in the wardrobe being:

Aquolina - Pink Sugar
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Tea For Two (this is my no. 1)
    Dior - Hypnotic Poison (no.2)

I'm fond of some florals too, and i loved Flowerbelle Blanca, beyond all reason, but am unable to source it anymore, and only now have Flowerbelle Lielac, and Rouse, both nice and light, but nowhere near as many compliments and sillage as the Blanca. My best Floral is Tendre Poison by Dior, i adore that, and constantly sniff myself.

I very nearly just ordered Passage D'Enfer, but have seen Dzongha mentioned, as well as Armani Prive Eau D'Encens (but can't find that) and then a whole load of other ones, by Goutal, AMouge, etc. That all just made me hesitate, and decide i need help. So if there's one thats kind of sweet and foodish, or a musky floral and not too expensive, i have approx 100 pounds left, (after doing a really bad splurge on Dior Addict, that i'm not certain i like yet, and wish i'd kept the cash for the frankincense/myrrhh) I would appreciate a little guidance from you fellow basenoters, and I'm looking forward to adding to the forum, (in a beginner kind of way)

Looking forward to some suggestions, and glad to have found you all

Default Re: Hi, I'm new, need advice please?

Welcome, Scent-imental.

You may wish to try Comme des Garcons Avignon or Heeley Cardinal for a church incense vibe.

Caron's Parfum Sacre also has a nice touch of incense, as does L'Occitane's Eau des Baux.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome !
    You could try it Bois de Paradis by Delrae. There's a incense note running through it or even Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois. On me , there's a fair bit of floral - incense. Worth checking out.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Myrrh Ardente
    Full Incense

Blog Entries

hey folks, thanks for all the suggestions, i'm overwhelmed by such a positive response, in such a short time, and am always going to research my online perfume purchases with you guys, before i buy. I live in a very small town in Ireland, and like to wear fragrances that are different from the norm, ones that i've done a bit of work to find, instead of just popping into the department store, sniffing a few, and choosing that way.

I took a chance with Tea For Two, and got a 5 ml sample off Ebay, i was instantly besotted with it, and have bought 3 bottles over the years.

Knowing i'm wearing one, that other people might have bother tracking down, well that suits me down to the ground, knowing everybody else isn't gonna smell the same as me.

So thanks again basenoters, its good to be part of the fragrant community

Blog Entries

Right,

Gone with the Myrrh Ardente, having looked into all the rest with considerable interest, and shall be definitely having a big wish list. There was 1 left in stock on Amazon of all places, so i hope i enjoy it. Will do a review of it, when i've received it, as well as the Dior Addict, and thats my fragrance shopping done for now.

Having just given away a bottle of Secret Obsession, and some other junk cluttering up my dressing table (they shall remain nameless, being presents, and cheap disgusting and very alcoholly smelling) i will be proudly and reverently displaying my new bottles, might instal spotlights or something.

PS, do we have a perfume "swap shop" here, like if people hate what they've bought? Or are they all sensible and get samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post

I'm looking for a Frankincense/Myrrh type of fragrance, and having read a bit of the forum posts, i seem to be a bit of a foody gourmand perfume wearer
    Some day, you might want to try a sample of Habit Rouge EdC. Like Shalimar, it has a fairly strong vanilla note in the opening, but for me the frankincense included in HR makes it the much more interesting and wearable scent. It might satisfy both interests even though it's marketed to men.

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    Armani Prive Eau D'Encens (but can't find that) and then a whole load of other ones, by Goutal, AMouge, etc. That all just made me hesitate, and decide i need help.
    There are so many good or great incense fragrances, I think you're better off sampling further rather than settling for Bois D'Encens at the start.

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech and Speake
    Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal
    Full Incense by Montale
    Avignon by Comme des Garcons
    Myrrhe & Merveilles by Keiko Mecheri

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'm delighted i plucked up the guts to ask, you gave me several to research, and i maybe should have obtained samples, but i usually seem to find the ones i love by buying "blind" if you get me.

On this occasion i've gone for MyrrH Ardente, but of course, i'd love to try them all, and might have to obtain samples, to buy one the proper way. Appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here