Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsors

Default About to splurge on myself

What kind of cologne should I get?

I've been looking at Creed and Montale, Santal on the Creed, and Black Aoud on the Montale, which would be the better of the two in quality etc... Share your opinion as I'm not that much of a buff on the notes and things of that nature.

I know that the Santal is Woody Oriental, which is supposed to be very alluring and rich smelling (From what I've read).

Any tips, recommendations, anything?

Currently I have 2 Aquatics a Woody, and an Oriental.

Default Re: About to splurge on myself

What are you looking for in a frag exactly? Any specific type of scent or note? What fragrances do you currently have?

If you're going to get anything from Creed, you can never go wrong with a bottle of Green Irish Tweed. I would put money on the fact that it would become your go-to scent in almost all situations. Original Santal turns kind of feminine on me about an hour in, and I'm not a huge fan of Black Aoud. Tell us more about what you're really looking for. Have you sampled either of these two?

Well I have Chanel's Bleu, and Allure, as well as D&G The One, and another that I'm not too fond of, can't seem to find it anyways. I'm looking for something that catches the nose of people, makes me stand out, but not too strong, I've smelt the Aventus and a couple other Creeds, they didn't have the Santal in stock or Tweed, I have heard nothing but positive things about the Black Aoud though which is what peaked my interest seeing how most of what people are saying about it is what I'm sort of looking for.

They're both fine scents in my opinion and have both, but my recommendation would be Black Aoud.

While Ive never smelled any Creeds, on one basenoters suggestion, I tested Burberry Brit. This (im sure) is far from the quality of Creeds, but has a fantastic dry down and can be found for cheap. Sorry if this is off your topic.

If you want something that's not too strong, Black Aoud is out IMO. Even with 1 or 2 sprays, I could see you bowling people over from across the room with this stuff.
    What I've been wearing far too much of lately:

-Amouage Lyric Man
    -Guerlain Gourmand Coquin
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

Quote Originally Posted by cjbee View Post
    If you want something that's not too strong, Black Aoud is out IMO. Even with 1 or 2 sprays, I could see you bowling people over from across the room with this stuff.
    Well then any other recommendations from what I posted above about what I'm wanting? Wanting to get some high class stuff, maybe indulging in my first bottle of creed.

I honestly would have just recommended Aventus or GIT--fail-safe Creeds in my eyes. Both highly versatile, inoffensive, elegant scents that aren't too strong and will definitely help you standout from the crowd (at least amongst my peer group, virtually no one owns or even knows of this stuff).
    What I've been wearing far too much of lately:

-Amouage Lyric Man
    -Guerlain Gourmand Coquin
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

I personally dislike Creed's style (though appreciate some like GIT) and find it overpriced, but as you can see, opinions differ. I love Montales, including Black Aoud; but as cjbee was saying, they are very strong and could scare you if it's your first encounter with them. They usually grow on people, but the first impact is a shock.

With a budget like that for a Creed, I would rather explore the Chanel exclusives. They are standouts but are not excessively strong. They are sold only at Chanel's boutiques, regrettably, so you need to have access to one. If you want a rich oriental one, you can smell Bois des Isles or Coromandel; for a fresher, but still complex and elegant, one, you can try Sycomore. For an elegant leather-floral, Cuir de Russie.

Among niche brands that are not too difficult to find, I also much prefer l'Artisan parfumeur or Serge Lutens to Creed (and they're cheaper too).

cacio

I think the main reason black aoud gets so much love here is because it's so damn strong. If it was 'normal strength' people would see the flaws in its composition more clearly. It's not a bad scent - one of the best from Montale, although that's not saying much as 3/4 of Montale's releases are simply bad - but it's not something that should be blind bought.

I'd splurge on samples, and then buy a bottle of whatever you like the most after multiple wearings. Get the idea of some kind of objectively better perfume out of your mind. Very few noses here have smelled the natural oils/absolutes or raw aroma chemicals and can truly differentiate the pricier ingredients from the not-so-pricy ones (and that's no measure of objective quality anyway) and even if they can, it doesn't mean it'll be appealing to your nose. The only thing that matters is that a scent resonates and really clicks with you. The only way to find that out is by sampling.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    With a budget like that for a Creed, I would rather explore the Chanel exclusives. They are standouts but are not excessively strong. They are sold only at Chanel's boutiques, regrettably, so you need to have access to one. If you want a rich oriental one, you can smell Bois des Isles or Coromandel; for a fresher, but still complex and elegant, one, you can try Sycomore. For an elegant leather-floral, Cuir de Russie.
    Well you can purchase it through their website which would require shipping cost etc... (Nothing I don't mind) but does anyone have anything to say about it? I don't want to blind purchase, something I try avoiding unless it gets excessive great reviews (Which is why I was even looking at the black aoud, also off topic real fast is there any boutiques that I could find Montale at? I haven't seen a bottle yet and I've gone to almost all the places in my area)

And everyone seems to be pushing away from Orientals, is it just not that great of a combination? Should I consider looking in other directions?

As sculpture was saying, one should sample first when spending this kind of money. Re: the chanel exclusifs, there were a few threads in the past, perhaps you can do a search to see what BNers think.

There are very few stores carrying Montales in the US. I know of one in DC, there's perhaps something in CA, I'm not sure there are any others. It's definitely easier to smell the Chanel exclusifs, though that requires access to a big town with such a boutique.

I like orientals. I suppose other people were suggesting otherwise with Creed because, even within Creed lovers (which I am not), I don't think orientals are considered the strength of that particular house.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 20th September 2011 at 07:17 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Don't waste your money, go for GIT
    For Swap
    YSL Body Kouros (3.3oz w/ box) * Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male (2.5oz w/ can) * L'Instant de Guerlain EDT (4.2oz w/ box) (all bottles 90%+)

Looking For (not limited to)
    YSL Live Jazz * Chanel Egoiste