Code of Conduct

Default I'm new and I need help!

Hi! Thanks for reading this--I need all the help I can get! I've been interested in perfume and the process behind it for a while, but I live in Missouri, so there aren't many chances to take classes in it or meet with a famous "nose." I'm very picky when it comes to perfumes. I don't like many florals, and fruity and/or citrus is out of the question, as is that new one by Escada that smells like coconut tanning oil. I seem to gravitate toward musk, vanilla, amber, and woods. My burning question for all of you is this: what perfume has a pronounced woody scent, like a cedar? I don't want it overpowering like in a men's fragrance, but I would like more of a woody scent than what I find on the market these days. I lived in Europe for a while and was overwhelmed with the perfume choices in their "Parfumeries." When I walk into a department store here in the States, it's a letdown because of the lack of choices (even though I can't even BEGIN to sample these fewer choices, no matter how many times they let me sniff the coffee!) It's just that I feel, well, cheated because I knew places that offered thousands of perfumes all in less than 1,000 sq. ft. of space!!!). Maybe I'm missing out on an awesome perfume?! I've also checked at Raffy; he doesn't sell just the single note cedar, and I'm not sure I'd want something so simplistic. Subtle nuances of fragrance are so lovely as they wear throughout the day. Anyway, if anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative. Here are my current favorites that I seem to wear the most:
    1. Euphoria by Calvin Klein
    2. Still by Jennifer Lopez
    #. Extraordinary by Avon (I know, I know--but it's their best one ever!)
    4. L'Or by ??? (found it at Perfumerie Douglas in Germany; since being pregnant it reminds me of pencil shavings, but I still wear it because it was expensive)

Again, thanks for reading this and for your suggestions!

Default Re: I'm new and I need help!

Hi bcars10 welcome to Basenotes *.

The following are notes of Chypre Vanille by Montale :

The spirituality of Tibetan lakans for this mystical perfume that is a subtle blend of vanilla, Tibetan rock rose, amber and incense over a woody combination of sandalwood and vetiver, underlined by tonka bean.

If this interests you email me at maisondeparfum@ij.net and I will send you a file of Descriptions and notes of Montale fragrances. There are lot of others that you might like. I have samples for most of them too.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi bcars10,
    I think you might like Feminite du Bois (shiseido). I believe Serge Lutens
    was the nose behind this one. I'm also very choosy about my perfumes
    and this one is a woody (cedar) spicy, warm scent, with a touch of plum that is really unusual.
    I bought mine in France, but I think you can buy it online too (www.1stperfume.com)
    It's not cheap, however - about $199. I got mine for 80 euros in France. It might be
    worth googling around.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bcars10 and welcome!

"...but I would like more of a woody scent than what I find on the market these days." - I highly recommend trying Chanel Bois des Iles.

" musk, vanilla, amber, and woods: - People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo!!
    Antoine & Lili Holy Champa, Calypso Marine, Jalaine Silk, Jalaine Amber, L'Artisan Vanilia, MPG Secrète Datura, Miller Harris Terre de Bois, Nanadebary Pink, Regina Harris Amber Vanilla, Tauer L'Air du desert marocain, Ginestet Botrytis, Serge Lutens Chergui, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Diptyque Tam Dao, Yves Rocher Cocoon, Cacharel Gloria. Two that stand out in my mind as being very, very heavy on cedar are Anais Anais and Hypnotic Poison.

Hello, and welcome! Moschino Couture has very prominent cedar [ch8211] but it might be more floral than you want, at least in the beginning. I like cedar too.

The perfume kewart suggested is sold at www.aromaboutique.com for $65.95 (bottle is gorgeous!) Also at www.luckyscent.com there is a perfume called Garcon Manque by the company Des Filles a la Vanille. Cedar, vanilla and barely-there rose. I also suggest for a musk scent L'Artisan's Mure et Musc, which is a woody musk, not fruity despite the name. And last but not least, WELCOME!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome. I love it when newbies jump right in and introduce themselves. One thought would be to contact some of the sellers on Basenotes Sell board and ask them what samples they have available in the cedar category. Also Serge Lutens Palais Royale Shiseido offers the following with cedar notes: Arabie, Cédre, Douce Amére, Gris Clair. Lutens work is considered some of the best in the contemporary world of perfumery. I think of his fragrances as something to "experience". They are spectacular compostions.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, and welcome! [smiley=beer.gif]

Another suggestion for you to sniff is Gaultier 2, as you like vanilla, amber and musk.
    I think your L`Or maybe is the one from Torrente?
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried this one, but I've heard many good things sbout this line:Parfums 06130 Cedre
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...roducts_id=912

Other scents I might suggest are Joop!Femme, although it's got a real floral heart, but very ambery, and I double the Feminite de Bois Shiseido.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Wow, everyone! Thanks for the help and suggestions...and for the well-wishes! I didn't know there would be so many woody-type perfumes--I feel overwhelmed again! I think I didn't know because Americans mostly favor floral-y fruity stuff; Europeans are willing to be more adventurous, perhaps?! The only frustrating thing is that before I shell out major bucks for some of these perfumes, I'd like to test them and make sure they don't give me a migraine. I'll have to scout around on this site to see if anyone would be willing to swap!

And, yes, I believe L'Or is from Torrente! That does ring a bell! Hee hee!

Thanks again!

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

For items that you can readily find in your local department store, consider Estee Lauder Spellbound and Lancome Attraction.

Hello and welcome bcars10!

Oh, I agree about Feminité de Bois (Shiseido), and want to add The Different Company - Bois D´Iris, if you like it a little warm, sweet and spicy (and care for iris). Luckyscent, mentioned by tinker424, have it, and many other scents that are more or less hard to find. A sample order is always fun!

Looking forward to read your posts here.