Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Method of trying out new frag's

I know that letting a scent develop on ones skin is the only true way to evaluate a fragrance.

How accurately can one distinguish a frag from sniffing the bottle spray mechanism or off paper?

I am wondering about this because, loving powerful frags, and reading all about Kouros on Basenotes, I tried a bit on some tester cardboard. It seemed very soapy to me. Does it have a soapy opening? I will try it on my skin ASAP, but just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Method of trying out new frag's

Hi,
    I'm fairly new at this myself, but I've been trying lots of frags. At first I was doing the cards, and that was helpful, but on the skin is better. I have rejected some frags offhand on the cards, only to find out later on that I actually liked them. I figure I missed the drydown as well as the interaction with the skin.

The thing that brought this home for me was trying Angel, which on first shot was a shocking blast. But then the drydown went through at least 4 stages for me, and was excellent. So if I went by first impression, it would have been negative.

Of course, if you spray the skin, then the problem is that if you want to try several things, you run out of wrists pretty quick. One time I did both sides of my neck, both wrists, and in my shirt, as I recall. That could get pretty funny if you continued by pulling up pantlegs, spraying in shorts, etc. I know, I'm nuts. I was in a store the other day and there weren't many cards around. I ended up spraying each finger, getting 10 samples, as it were. Not ideal, but kind of fun, and I did get one keeper!

Still, the cards can be fun. I will start carrying a pen so I can keep them straight.

Post Thanks / Like

first post alert!

two tips for you:
    1) when you can, shop in the afternoon. That is when your nose is sharpest.
    2) ask for samples. Nordstrom and Sephora will decant into a vial if you ask. Otherwise it's just if they have a maker's sample vial in stock. Small boutiques vary.

I will usually 'test' a scent 3-4 times before making a final judgement. This keeps you from making mistakes when buying. Plus it's fun.

think of it as ways to narrow down your search. you go to a frag counter and there are maybe 100 frags there. there's no way you're going to skin-test all of them.

so start with sniffing the sprayer. this will allow you to rule out the ones you hate - the ones that make you want to barf. or just go straight to the strips.

for the ones that pass this test, use the test strips. make sure to let it sit on the strip for a while. bring a pen and write what each frag is on the strip. narrow it down to the 10 or whatever that you most like.

test those on your skin. i suggest only testing 2 at a time. one on each wrist. you can do more on your arms, but i find the smells often contaminate each other. again, make sure to let the frags sit on your skin for a while before judging.

do this over a few days to test all your finalists. repeat if you're not sure. get what you like.

p.s. use the coffee beans, etc.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hey rompip...

I bought a mini of Kouros from one of the online places. Its not my thing. I actually tried it on and within seconds, I was in the shower scrubbing it off.

If you want to try Kouros for yourself, I can drop it in the mail to you. That'll give you a way to sample it at your leisure.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like

You've received some excellent advice here about testing or sampling, and you've got an offer for a sample (take it). I just wanted to say that Kouros is a very individual fragrance. Different people get very different impressions of the scent. Some get heavy animal notes, or "men's room" smells. You apparently got a soapy smell, which I'm sure is very legitimate. I'm one who gets a perfumy smell--the top notes to me are rather feminine.

The point is, this is a challenging scent--it took me a long time to learn to love it--but it certainly was worth the effort.

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. Samples seem to be the way to go, and it makes logical sense. It also cuts out the constant badgering by SA's trying to force their tastes on to a person.

I will try and search on the net and at the stores here, but anyone know of places in South Africa that give samples out?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by rompip

I will try and search on the net and at the stores here, but anyone know of places in South Africa that give samples out?

Thanks again

Drop an email to, call, or visit (if you're near the Johannesburg area) Thierry Mugler and ask for samples from them, especially since they have a location in South Africa, I'm guessing they'll be more than happy to hook you up.

Address:
    THIERRY MUGLER PARFUMS
    Private Bag X10
    2017 BRAAMFONTEIN

Phone:

Email:
    barbara@clarins.co.za

I dropped an email to the US Rep (Melisa at tmpconsumerrelations@clarinsusa.com for those interested) two weeks ago and last week I got a FABULOUS envelope that had a 1.2ml A*Men spray and a little bottle of A*Men shampoo, a 1.2ml B*Men spray and a little bottle of B*Men shampoo, and a 1.2ml Mugler spray and a little packet of Mugler body lotion, along with some Mugler Skin Comfort face cream.

I couldn't have been more thrilled, especially after I tried them on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dr. Bubba!

DrBubba, is there a UK version of that email?

Quote Originally Posted by thebob
    DrBubba, is there a UK version of that email?

THIERRY MUGLER PARFUMS
    10 Cavendish Place
    W1G 9DN LONDON

020 7307 6700
    020 7307 6705
    customerservices@thierrymuglerparfum.com

Post Thanks / Like

The best way I've found is to put some on the back of my hand. I don't sniff my hand right away, because the blast from the strong initial evaporate will wreck my sense of smell for the rest of the test. So, instead, I do my best to ignore the fact that a test fragrance is on my hand, and see how it catches my attention, and how this changes over time. But after about an hour, I *do hold my hand a couple inches from my nose to see how it feels close up. Then go back to trying to ignore it, and occasionally testing up close. *

BTW, I avoid testing with the smell of soap on the back of my hand. *Even so-called scent free soaps have fragrance in them, to counter the natural smell of the soap. I've found that washing my hands with Cetaphil skin cleaner is a good way to get rid of the soap smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to love the fragrance after hating the smell of the bottle sprayer thing? I find most top notes (which is what I assume you'd smell if you sniff the bottle sprayer) unpleasant and I'm worried that I might be missing some winners. But then again, it could just mean I'm picky...right?