Code of Conduct

Default Most Prestigious Houses

Okay I understand what what Niche and Mass Market fragrances are.
    I am wondering what the prestigious houses in perfumery are. *From what I gather on Basenotes, Creed, Guerlain and Chanel seem to be like the Bentleys/Rolls Royces of the various houses? *Are they? Which other houses are prestigious?

Default Re: Most Prestigious Houses

Hello and welcome to Basenotes, Rompip!

Glad to have with us thinking over scents. I moved your post over here to the Just Starting Out board because it fits better with things discussed over here.

There are plenty of houses that members find prestigious, of course, when any scent lights fire in people's noses they think that alone makes the house prestigious.

YSL has a huge fan base here, I'm very happy with products by Givenchy, Dior, and Molinard besides a whole list of Niche houses.

Again, welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy everything you read!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Hello and welcome to Basenotes, Rompip! *

Glad to have with us thinking over scents. *I moved your post over here to the Just Starting Out board because it fits better with things discussed over here.

There are plenty of houses that members find prestigious, of course, when any scent lights fire in people's noses they think that alone makes the house prestigious.

YSL has a huge fan base here, I'm very happy with products by Givenchy, Dior, and Molinard besides a whole list of Niche houses.

Again, welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy everything you read!
    --Chris
    No Problem, Basenotes is a fantastic site! THX for the response and sorry for putting it on the wrong board, Im just learning the Basenotes Community layout

Quote Originally Posted by rompip
    Okay I understand what what Niche and Mass Market fragrances are.
    I am wondering what the prestigious houses in perfumery are. *From what I gather on Basenotes, Creed, Guerlain and Chanel seem to be like the Bentleys/Rolls Royces of the various houses? *Are they? Which other houses are prestigious?

Hi, Welcome to basenotes.

I think you're right about Chanel, Creed, and Guerlain--they each have carved out a place of their own with a particular kind of excellence--at least, up to now.

Others that I respect highly are Yves Saint Laurent and Dior. I am developing a growing respect for Hermes. The 90's seem to have changed the fragrance industry and, I think, it is currently in a state of flux. I don't hold my breath on any of these companies now--I think things will settle down to a new standard of operating in a few years. Globalization has affected everything, and, really, it's kind of exciting to watch what is happening in the fragrance industry.

Prestige has a lot to do with histroy. For instance Creed is one of the oldest fragrance houses and has throughout history made fragrances for royalty and important people. This makes them come off as very prestigious. The truth is though that I wouldn't worry too much about houses are "prestigious." L'Artisan is way too quirky to be considered prestigious but they are an awesome house and a favorite of many BNoters. Then there are other companies which are more in the trendy direction, and some that are just too new to have been able to earn any prestige. So yea explore the different houses a lot and don't necessarily think that any given fragrance will match the houses image because ideas change and lots of times houses have multiple perfumers. You're right that Chanel has tremendous prestige, but I feel like it was gained mostly from their womens scents from a while back there were groundbreaking such as Chanel No.5. I really don't like most of their men's offereings. Don't worry about reputation and just have fun getting aquainted with the different houses.

Serge Lutens is an excellent niche house. Dior and Armani are two top designer houses.

I've been traveling all day so I am late with my Welcome but luckily there are so many other great members here to get right on it.

In terms of prestigious house, I would pick L'Artisan because it is my favorite and pretty popular now adays. It is not the most prestigious and I couldn't tell you which house is but it is deffinately top noch stuff. There are so many amazing blends that are very unique to that house. My favorite fragrance (Tea for Two) come from L'Artisan. If you are looking for an aquired but very amazing house to shop at then look there.

EnvYuS

Nice to meet you, rompip!

I hold Serge Lutens on the highest pedestal, bar none! Other houses have lovely fragrances that I love as much, but usually only one or two. Serge Lutens has a dozen that each rank 5 and 5 stars in my book.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Nice to meet you, rompip!

I hold Serge Lutens on the highest pedestal, bar none! Other houses have lovely fragrances that I love as much, but usually only one or two. Serge Lutens has a dozen that each rank 5 and 5 stars in my book.
    Ditto. Well, maybe not a dozen for me, but more than any other house! There are just so many of his scents that are out of this world. In fact, I just jumped through hoops to buy a bottle of Cuir Mauresque (which isn't available in my neck of the woods).

The only other house with maybe a higher percentage of top-rated scents for me is Amouage, which claims to have the "most valuable" fragrances in the world. I don't know about that, but they do incense scents incredibly well.

Another "prestige" house, in my opinion, is Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. I think it was created to be just that - THE prestige house.

As for prestige more generally, as The Giraffe said, it's tied to history; it's also tied to price. It's really hard to say which are the most prestigious. Your best bet is to read reviews, pick some that sound like ones you would like, and sample like crazy. Lots of sellers offer samples for a fee and some will send freebies. Try emaling some houses for samples as well. Eventually you'll see which houses best suit you.

Hi and welcome!

Editions de Frederic Malle and L'Artisan are my favorite "prestige" houses. The Frederic Malle line consists of true treasures.

How about Caron?
    Do they make good frag's? The reason I ask is that I have found a bottle of 100ml Caron Pour Homme (not a fake) in a store here for the same price as a bottle of Old Spice. I know B'noters love the stuff, so wondering if it is worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    Hi and welcome! *

Editions de Frederic Malle and L'Artisan are my favorite "prestige" houses. The Frederic Malle line consists of true treasures.
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

L'Artisan seems real good, only problem is I live in South Africa, and we have a severe lack of Niche houses available here (not even Creed!). Damn!

How about Caron?
    Do they make good frag's? The reason I ask is that I have found a bottle of 100ml Caron Pour Homme (not a fake) in a store here for the same price as a bottle of Old Spice. I know B'noters love the stuff, so wondering if it is worth it?

Test it first!

Caron PH is one of only a few frags that I have had to wash off immediately. It would have made me sick if I hadn't. This is coming from someone who loves strong scents (and in great quantity).

To me, it smells like some kind of rotten fruit, rotten vanilla, and stale play-doh....

But all the more power to you if you like it! I'm sure that if you bought it at a good price, you could swap it here on basenotes for something else.

As for prestige- You can go the route of well-known prestige: Chanel. Or you can go with celebrity prestige: Knize Ten, Jicky, Green Irish Tweed. Or you can go with price/exclusivity: Malle, Amouage, Lutens, one or two Laliques (the price is the bottle, mostly), CdG. Or you can go with sheer talent and volume of all-around good scents: YSL, Guerlain, L'Artisan, etc.

I don't buy according to 'prestige'; If I did, then I'd be stuck with many bottles that I couldn't wear and didn't like. Just follow your nose!

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

"prestige" means nothing. they won't necessarily smell better since it's all subjective anyway. they won't even necessarily be made better. hell even the noses can move around and design frags for different houses. i guess if you want to, you can say whatever is the most expensive is the most prestigious since it's more exclusive. but if you don't like how it smells, what difference does it make?

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    "prestige" means nothing. *they won't necessarily smell better since it's all subjective anyway. *they won't even necessarily be made better. *hell even the noses can move around and design frags for different houses. *i guess if you want to, you can say whatever is the most expensive is the most prestigious since it's more exclusive. *but if you don't like how it smells, what difference does it make?
    True dat.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

How about Caron?
    Do they make good frag's? *
    Caron is a truly great fragrance house; easily the equal of any mentioned previously. They have as much tradition as Guerlain and have released more than a few revolutionary scents. They continue to pay homage to their distinguished past through their "urn collection." I am having a fabulous time exploring this house, and L'Anarchiste and Tabac Blond, two of the most unique scents to ever have been released, are among my top favorites. That said, I agree with the suggestion that you should first try Pour un Homme prior to buying a large bottle.

Two other houses that are very storied and par excellence are the houses of D'Orsay and Jean Patou. Many world-class scents between them, for both men and women, with famous perfumers and top-notch ingredients. Of the two, D'Orsay scents have a slightly more unique signature, with Le Dandy and Tilluel exemplifying this very well. Patou, on the other hand, has produced several of the most highly acclaimed and sought after scents of all time, for both women and men: Joy and Patou Pour Homme.

Good luck in sampling from among the great houses that have been mentioned in this thread!

Jeff