Code of Conduct

Default Why does Kouros = Aramis 1965 to me?

I had some free time the other day and wandered through the Macy's men's fragrance counters. Upon spraying a sample of Aramis (probably the 1965. but I'm not sure as tester just said Aramis) on my arm, I picked up a strong similarity to Kouros (which I've been using in rotation for a week or so) . Naturally I was curious as to the cause as I'm just a beginner here. The tree stucture listed on BN shows the following:

Kouros:
    top - clove
    middle -oakmoss
    base- incense

Aramis (1965)
    top - bergamont oil
    middle - clary sage, myrtle oil, clove bud oil
    base - Patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, tree moss

Observed similarities are the (1) clove (Kouros) and clove bud oil (Aramis), and (2) potentially the oakmoss (Kouros) and tree moss (Aramis). A third possibility is the incense (Kouros) might be patchouli or sandalwood (Aramis). Any insights from the more experienced folks on the board?

Default Re: Why does Kouros = Aramis 1965 to me?

Here's some more accurate comparisons:

Aramis:
    Top notes : Artemisia, Bergamot, Cumin, Gardenia
    Middle notes : Jasmine, Patchouli, Vetiver, Sandalwood
    Base notes : Leather, Oakmoss, Castoreum, Amber, Musk

Kouros:
    Top notes : Laurel, Artemisia, Coriander, Bergamot
    Middle notes : Carnation, Cinnamon, Geranium, Jasmine
    Base notes : Vetiver, Patchouli, Amber, Oakmoss, Civet, Leather, Musk

Well, both belong to the chypre family, for starters. When it comes to notes, both have artemesia and bergamot in the topnotes, jasmine and florals in the middle notes, and leather, oakmoss, amber, and animalic (civet for Kouros and castoreum for Aramis) basenotes.

So, they have quite a bit in common, actually.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Hmm...To me only similarity is that they both have heavy animalic charachter. But the scents are totally different, to my nose at least.

Aramis is filled up with castoreum, herbs, mosses and old leathers. It is clearly a Chypre-Leathery scent.

Kouros, to me, is million times better: Absolutely brilliant cocktail of aldehydic herbs at the top, mysterious animal notes in the middle, and then lovely woody base with honeyed insence.

Schatz, after couple of more testings, I`m sure you`re able to see the major differences with these two.

Thank you both for the feedback. I went back to Macy's today to give it another test. This time I sprayed on some Kouros in the morning, and even though I went to the gym and showered, there still was a lingering scent remaining. The comparison today did reveal strong differences. Most notably, the Aramis had a scent of a dill pickle which I did not notice on the initial test a few days ago. After experiencing the two frags together, I no longer have a desire further experiment with Aramis.

Subsequently, I went around to the other side of the counter and sprayed some Chanel Egoiste on my forearm. Reminded me somewhat of YSL Opium (picked up from Marshalls last week) although not nearly as strong. Quite pleasant though as I like spice that developed after the top notes.