Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    After logging in if you click on "settings" at the top right of the page. From there click on "paid subscriptions" under "my settings" on the left hand side and the option to take up BNplus membership should come up there. Good luck !.

PS - I'm glad you didn't say the other "red" team that side of the pennines.....phew !.
    Thanks Jon.
    No chance of me mentioning the other "red" team this side of the Pennines, I'm not a complete monster, you know!

Yet another lurker de-lurking, uncloaking? Or is uncloaking only for Romulan Birds of Prey? (I was called one once - but it was at a party, so, alas, that's the only thing that I can remember!)

However, my reason for showing myself is to find out to whom I would address questions about listings, or the lack thereof, in the Fragrance Directory? I have been using the Directory very heavily in recent weeks to allow me to throw away my money a little more wisely on Ebay. Or is that a contradiction in terms?

I have loved some perfumes for years, and I promise to make a few entries in my Wardrobe - now that I understand what it's for . . . but what is an Avatar in Basenotes terminology? I have tried to find the answers on my own for these questions, but couldn't find the exact FAQ for these two. (re: to whom do I ask regarding Directory entries and what's the use of a Basenote Avatar?)

Sadie

Yes, I do talk to myself too! Anyway, I just remembered why I wanted to jump into the conversation when I did - it was TheBigChypre's mention of liking the fragrance of orange blossom! I also love that scent - but mostly as a single note because my untrained nose cannot pick it or neroli out from a more complex perfume. And I know this due entirely from researching in the Basenote Fragrance Directory!!! I have spent money in Ebay to purchase scents that are supposed to contain either orange blossom or neroli, and, while some I've learned to love (24 Faubourg!!!) it wasn't until I got a bottle of Henri Bendel's Orange Blossom lotion that I did smell "orange blossom"!!! And now I'm awaiting the delivery of same as an EDT. (And, I figured out "Avatar")

Sadie

Hi Sadie.
    Good to see another lurker unlurking and making their presence felt "on the boards". Especially good to find another orange blossom connoisseur here. Having read your post I'm going to sample the Henri Bendel's fragrance, so thanks for the heads up. I'll probably try the lotion too, since I've been seeking body products containing the OB note for a while and haven't, as yet, found quite what I'm looking for.

Regards, Yolanda.

Hola, Bom Dia, Bonjour and Hello! Unlurking here, name is Ona. So happy I found this marvelous place.

I love natural/mostly natural, high quality perfumes/hydrosols, therapeutic essential oils, and mixes that veer far away from the cloying fake fruit/berry/sweet citrus/sweaty peach assault of the department stores — god help my sinuses. Also tired of so called "clean" scents, though I love essential peppermint oil. Lavender is my all-time favorite EO.

I love dirty cumin, a bit of patchouli, crispy cedar and vetiver, and sandalwood when it doesn't smell like a head shop.
    And I still adore my "Voilettes de Toulouse."

My dream search right now includes something that replicates the experience of Rishi's loose Silver Needle white tea with (sambac) jasmine. As well, I would love to find a (mostly) natural single note clover or fern. Something rounder, sweeter, simpler and less sharp than a "fougere." But I love a bitter edged ivy smell too. Should I start a thread?

Good morning, onaluna! I agree that this is a wonderful place! I'm still learning my way around, however it seems that most of the activity takes place on the various threads. I'm very interested in helping out on the Directory, but I haven't found the right person to ask. I believe that some of the long time members spend the bulk of their time on new items in the various threads and not in this place or in the actual database.

Have you tried searching for threads that might already be talking about the items that interest you? I know that by searching on a name or ingredient, I have run across lots of good information that doesn't appear anywhere else. It seems that everything "new" gets talked about there.

Sadie

Hi there!

I'm not exactly new, but still pretty inexperienced here.

A few questions if anyone can help me out:

Is it just me or are the notes and pyramid missing for a significant number of fragrances?

I'm trying to isolate which notes I cannot stand (one smells like bar soap) in order to avoid fragrances that have them, but I can't look up the notes for many of these fragrances that smell soapy to me to figure out which one it is.

Chanel No. 5 and Eau Premiere both have it. Prada's Infusion d'Iris has it, but it fades quickly and I love what remains.

I'd also love to be able to figure out what scent combination in Fracas is so choking in order to avoid it as well.

Lastly, there are certain notes that I'm usually drawn to such as Bergamot, vanilla, sandalwood, incense, iris, etc.. I'd love to be able to find scents with these notes.

Any assistance would be wonderful! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
    I believe that some of the long time members spend the bulk of their time on new items in the various threads and not in this place or in the actual database.

Have you tried searching for threads that might already be talking about the items that interest you? I know that by searching on a name or ingredient, I have run across lots of good information that doesn't appear anywhere else. It seems that everything "new" gets talked about there.

Sadie
    Thank you so much, Sadie! I will be making good use of that search button. I get the feeling I'll really grow and learn a LOT here. Already enjoying some of the articles ...

Basenotes Plus

Extending the warmest of welcomes to marygreenwell, onaluna, innana88, and Sadie. .
    Glad to have you all here.

Hello Basenotes.

Super noob here. Great website. I hope I keep learning more about fragrances here.
    I'm not really that interested in learning everything about fragrances and all that.

I just want to be always presentable, clean and great smelling to the people I meet everyday.

Great site to learn new things about grooming and smelling really nice.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bulakenyo View Post
    Hello Basenotes.

Super noob here. Great website. I hope I keep learning more about fragrances here.
    I'm not really that interested in learning everything about fragrances and all that.

I just want to be always presentable, clean and great smelling to the people I meet everyday.

Great site to learn new things about grooming and smelling really nice.

Hello Basenotes

Don't really know where to start anywhere!! I saw the site last year and had a read and was very interested. Now I have decided to start to learn about fragrances, even though middleaged. The reason for not keeping up with perfumes was having a disabled son who could not tolerate any fragrance near him due to lung abnormalities - if it did, he could have died, so mydesire for perfume quickly had to take a back seat for 29 years. We lost him in 2008, and as abrupt as this post may sound, it is the only way I can express those 29 years without falling to bits. Anyway, the frangrances I remember wearing wereI the original L'Interdit, Youth Dew, Memoirs Cherie (how old am I then eh lol)......... I don't know what my taste would be now - I dislike the new L'Interdit. Still kinda like Youth Dew, probably because it is familiar, but my lasting memory of perfume and the last 20 years would be someone passing me and almost knocking me off my feet with the strength of the fragrance. I know this isn't of any help but I wanted to say hello anyway, and I can't even change my profile..............ah age, age, age lol. Apologies if this is not the correct place to post - please change if necessary. I really look forward to my education!

Hello to all....first time on any forum so apologies if I have done anything wrong. I would love to learn about frangrances but have one disadvantage.....that old thing called middle age! The last time I wore frangrance was 1982......we had a son who had lung abnormalities and could not tolerate frangrances - they could have killed him, so my interest quickly took a back seat. We lost him in 2008 and I feel I can now start again. Sorry if this sounds abrupt but I couldn't go into details or I would go to bits. My favourite scents back then were L'Interdit (original). Youth Dew, Memoirs Cherie (how old am I then eh! lol) Rive Gauche and that's all I can remember. Over the last 20 years I found myself at times standing and someone passing by and their perfume nearly knocking me off my feet and making me feel sick, and that is now, wrongly, how I perceive new frangrances to be. Sorry if I have posted wrong. Can't even change my profile!!! Oh and Love roses by the way, dislike the new L'Interdit, and look forward to being educated.

Oooooooooooops there it goes.................middle age!! think I have posted twice

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes, mistyscot

Quote Originally Posted by teeavigee View Post
    T, the NEWBIE, back again w/more silly questions:

ANYWAY...I have a few questions (well, five questions, as Questions 1 & 2 each have two parts, PLUS! there's a bonus super-newbie question):
    QUESTION 1:
    I came across a couple decants in vials I cannot find in the Fragrance Directory or The Definitive Acronyms/Abbreviations Thread. They are labeled w/handmade labels - please clarify fragrance house/brand if anyone can:
    a) "CD Vanille Chocolat"
    b) "POTL"

QUESTION 3:
    What are they called: "those-other-vials-that-don't-spray" (of which I've forgotten what they're called)?

ANSWERS (if you have them...PLEASE!):
    1a) "Laurence Dumont Vanille Chocolat"
    (it was "LD", not "CD")

1b) "POTL"
    People of the Labyrinths

3) "splash vials" (hey, I was partially correct!)
    confirmation from member "30 Roses":
    "...splash vials or dabber vials (if they have a dabber) or lip vials (if they have a lip.)
    They can also be identified by their volume, although this can be deceiving: the so-called 1ml vials (which are 1.25 inches long) actually only hold 0.7ml when capped-- you can put 1 ml in but it will fill them right up to the brim and then you can't cap them..."

Even though I'm semi-answering my own questions on this post, I still thank you for your kind consideration, patience and assistance (in correcting me)!
    Last edited by teeavigee; 26th September 2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Thank you "30 Roses", RE: POTL & splash/dabber/lip vials

Blog Entries

Mistyscot, Welcome! Happy exploring!

teeavigee, P of the L refers probably to People of the Labyrinths (brand). There are 2 fragrances of this brand in the directory; I am not familiar with how they smell.

The little vials can be called splash vials or dabber vials (if they have a dabber) or lip vials (if they have a lip.) They can also be identified by their volume, although this can be deceiving: the so-called 1ml vials (which are 1.25 inches long) actually only hold 0.7ml when capped-- you can put 1 ml in but it will fill them right up to the brim and then you can't cap them....

Quote Originally Posted by teeavigee View Post
    T, the NEWBIE, back again w/more silly questions:
    Actually, only Question 2 remains:

QUESTION 2:
    The reason I started my obsessive-compulsive plumber's-tape-party with the vials is because as I was updating my Sample Wardrobe, I noticed the vial labeled "POTL" was nearly empty with only a dark residue remaining. I would like to know if:

a) sealing the vials w/plumber's tape (or electrical tape...or whatever-tape) does help slow the processes of chemical breakdown, oxidation, evaporation, etc?
    "...I use plumber's tape/Teflon tape over the threads of screw-on type atomizers (before screwing on the atomizer) to improve the seal. I do not find it to be useful in preventing leaks when placed externally over a cap. For that I like to use Parafilm (I buy it in small amounts on eBay; Wikipedia has an article about the material.) Some people use bandage tape or electrician's tape but both of those are adhesive and can leave residue; the Parafilm is non-adhesive; you stretch it as you apply it and it sort of sticks to itself..."

b) there exists a solution to "thin-out" fragrance residue, to make it "usable" again, e.g. nail lacquer or paint thinner gives aged thick polish or paint (respectively) new life?
    "...As far as the dried residue, I don't know if this will work, but you could try a few drops of plain vodka if you have it. I would not use isopropyl alcohol as it has a strong smell of its own..."
    Last edited by teeavigee; 26th September 2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Thank you AGAIN "30 Roses", RE: Question 2

Blog Entries

I use plumber's tape/Teflon tape over the threads of screw-on type atomizers (before screwing on the atomizer) to improve the seal. I do not find it to be useful in preventing leaks when placed externally over a cap. For that I like to use Parafilm (I buy it in small amounts on eBay; Wikipedia has an article about the material.) some people use bandage tape or electrician's tape but both of those are adhesive and can leave residue; the Parafilm is non-adhesive; you stretch it as you apply it and it sort of sticks to itself.

If it keeps air out it will slow evaporation/prevent leaks. It will not slow aging, and it can still oxidize with the air inside the vial.

As far as the dried residue, I don't know if this will work, but you could try a few drops of plain vodka if you have it, for a sample. I would not use isopropyl alcohol as it has a strong smell of its own. There is also Everclear/Graves which is grain alcohol, and higher proof than vodka.

Thanks again, 30 Roses, for your most helpful answers to my questions - it is truly appreciated!

Blog Entries

Welcome, Arena!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Arena View Post
    Hi !

I'm newbie here. Happy to be members of the forum.
    I hope we will have great time here. and I'll try to contribute to forum develop more.
    I'm positively looking forward to the forum and its members,
    hope all will guide, share and help me to increase my knowledge. Nice to meet you..
    Good to meet you too, Arena. Welcome to Basenotes

Greetings Charismatic,

It sounds like you have already had a more individualized greeting that a few of us have received.

I've also been trying to help out - but my special niche is nit picking, so I've been sending missing notes, houses, and perfumes over to Basenotes Support - after asking around a few places, I stumbled on that one myself.

Like I said, some folks get real attention, and others are ignored.

Sadie

Blog Entries

Sadie,
    Welcome, if belatedly! I just read all your posts and have to add that I, too, love orange blossom.

I think some threads don't get so much traffic-- like this one, which seems mostly for greetings-- and the Today I Bought thread is also not really used much for discussion. Hence fewer replies to questions.

If you have a particular question to discuss, you could just start a thread about it on Just Starting Out (or whatever forum it concerns, like Female Fragrance Discussion)-- and then you will likely get lots of replies because many of us search by "new posts". There is just so much to read here that sometimes questions get overlooked.

Is there something you still need an answer about (I mean about how BN works)?

Thank you very much. Just a grumpy reaction . . . I'm still much the newbie to the actual workings of the site though I had been a lurker for a long, long time before joining.

I have learned to 'keep to your own side of the fence' about posting to certain forums (fori?) where the boys just ignore the girls. And I have also learned that the girls are much more willing to interact with the boys when they join in - gee, my course on child psychology was right! Girls are more social. <heh>

Question - why do I keep getting logged off when I go from thead to directory? It happens constantly and gets annoying.

Sadie

Blog Entries

I don't know-- sounds like a glitch! That hasn't happened to me.
    Instead I have my own glitch-- I no longer get notification emails from BN for private messages or for updates to subscribed threads.

Wait: do you have your computer set not to accept cookies? I think that could do it.

Don't fear posting around the site; that is how people will get to know you. I post anywhere there is a thread that interests me, provided I have something worth adding.
    And I think the plural of forum is fora? Not that I've ever seen it used....

Hey mistyscot - if this elderly hippie can begin to learn her way around this site, you l'il old middle-ager can too! And I truly understand how your nose is now overwhelmed after having been virginal for 29 years! My only advice in learning about the new fragrances is to read, read, read the reviews of various perfumes and read the threads that may talk about them.

And I have found the best place to buy samples of them is on Ebay, if you can access to it. Most samples are very cheap (or should be!) and they will help you learn without breaking the bank. And remember that each scent will change depending on how much it is diluted, and sometimes it depends on how the item has been stored. Colognes or eau de colognes tend to be the weakest, originally designed to be liberally splashed on. But they, and the eau de toilette versions will also be the ones that most easily go bad if they are many years old or have been stored out in sunlight without the boxes - things like that. Look for the eau de parfum (or perfume) samples or mini bottles - cheaper than the real perfume and less diluted than the edt. Those will most closely resemble the review comments (generalization here - but still mostly true).

The real thing is to have fun learning! That is the real joy - stretching your brain and finding new things that will bring some pleasure to your senses. We humans overlook our sense of smell because we no longer have to use it to find food or to prevent us from getting killed. But that sense is still hardwired in our brains, we just have to develop it.

Sadie

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
    I have also learned that the girls are much more willing to interact with the boys when they join in - gee, my course on child psychology was right! Girls are more social.
    I tend to agree, Sadie. I spend proportionately more of my time here on the female side of the forums due to the exceptional level of camaraderie to be found there. Todays SotD thread is a great example.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/285...4-October-2011

My welcome had to be hurriedly done at the tail end of a lunch break and as a result was not as personal as I would normally have liked. I apologise if it came across as insincere - it wasn't my intention. As a reasonably long standing member, I care a great deal about this community and am always genuinely delighted to see new members sign up. I hope you decide to actively participate here for a long time to come and heartily welcome you again. Enjoy the Basenotes experience !.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 4th October 2011 at 09:09 PM.

This post is mostly an experiment to see if I can..... well, to see if I can successfully post a message here?
    Last edited by Wheatstraw; 6th October 2011 at 01:44 AM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hi, Wheatstraw! And congrats on that first post. Welcome, all newcomers!

If you knock around here long enough, the people and internet functions won't feel so foreign. So, mingle wherever you're drawn in the forum.

It's all about having fun -- and I'm quite serious about that.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I just found this site today. I was searching for a discontinued cheapy that my wife loves and stumbled upon this place. Hope to learn some new and exciting things here.

I belong to many boards, mainly cigar and software boards and I like keeping my screen name uniform.

Blog Entries

Welcome, Wheatstraw!

Quote Originally Posted by NASTY View Post
    I just found this site today. I was searching for a discontinued cheapy that my wife loves and stumbled upon this place. Hope to learn some new and exciting things here.

I belong to many boards, mainly cigar and software boards and I like keeping my screen name uniform.
    I'm glad you aren't looking for a nasty smelling perfume then! Welcome to BN.

What cheapie are you searching for?

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Welcome, Wheatstraw!

I'm glad you aren't looking for a nasty smelling perfume then! Welcome to BN.

What cheapie are you searching for?
    Manifesto - Isabella Rossellini and I actually found it on here

Hello again - many thanks for the warm welcome. This will be my premier site I think! I even managed to edit my file and put in an avatar all by myself........now I just need to get with the real business in hand - education of perfume. I am so looking forward to it even though I know it's probably an inexhaustible subject. Again, many thanks - best wishes to all

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw View Post
    This post is mostly an experiment to see if I can..... well, to see if I can successfully post a message here?
    Mission accomplished - Welcome Wheatstraw

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NASTY View Post

Hope you find Basenotes to be a rewarding experience.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by johnclark8932 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am John Clark. Here to share my views on different topics and to ask queries.

Good to have you here, JC.

Good Morning, everyone!!! I am a newbie!!! I love perfumes and colognes!!! This looks like a great site!!!

Just bought myself a bottle of FLORA!!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Karazzy View Post
    This looks like a great site!!!
    It certainly is, Karazzy !.

It certainly is, Karazzy !.

Thanks JON RODGERS, for the 'welcome'!!! Looks like I have allot of reading to do … so many interesting forums!!! I better get going!!!

Just wanted to drop a general "welcome" to all the guys and dolls. Come on in, the water's warm!
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Red face Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

I found this through another site (yesterdaysperfume) and I am definitely a newcomer but eager to learn more. I have always loved collecting perfume but never knew much about notes, different manufacturers and designers, etc. I am looking forward to learning more ... wish there had been a major at my college for fragrance studies, lol. Thanks for the welcome thread!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose125 View Post
    I found this through another site (yesterdaysperfume) and I am definitely a newcomer but eager to learn more. I have always loved collecting perfume but never knew much about notes, different manufacturers and designers, etc. I am looking forward to learning more ... wish there had been a major at my college for fragrance studies, lol. Thanks for the welcome thread!
    Thanks for the introduction, BlueRose125 .

One more newbie ;-)
    Hi everyone ! Hope you're all fine. I'm a huge fragrance lover.
    This forum is so amazing : I've been reading it for quite a long time. There're so many experts over here. I've learned so much recently. Thanks to all of you ;-)

Blog Entries

Welcome, Anta79!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Anta79 View Post
    One more newbie ;-)
    Hi everyone ! Hope you're all fine. I'm a huge fragrance lover.
    This forum is so amazing : I've been reading it for quite a long time. There're so many experts over here. I've learned so much recently. Thanks to all of you ;-)
    Welcome aboard, Anta79

Hello everybody, I am a new here,just got registered. I love essential ois deluted in usual carrier oils. Never had insolubility issues till now. Which is not a lot to say, because I am just starting. Well, I am crazy about blue lots EO. I bought a little of it, said to be "absolute", 100% pure. Wnen I dissolving it in jojoba oil the solution is becoming cloudy. Does anyone knows what to do? Any answeris greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone, I'm a fragrance lover like the rest of you. I haven't really seen any fragrance forums that stand out like basenotes, so I decided to join this one.

Welcome Corrozia and Posh Honey ! Have fun here in this great place !!!

Corrozia, maybe you could put your question to the DIY thread : there you shall get expert answers
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes Posh Honey and Corrozia. Glad to have you both here

Found this site two weeks ago and was just thrilled ........and love the comments and especially the information.

Hello everybody!

Sea Roses

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Found this site two weeks ago and was just thrilled ........and love the comments and especially the information.

Hello everybody!

Sea Roses
    Hello right back - nice to meet you, Sea Roses.

Hi all. Just found this site for the first time today. I've always enjoyed fragrances but never really delved further than the commercial brands. I've tried a number of the known brands. A brief run down of my fragrance history so far:

CK One, CK Be, CK Man, CK In2U, CK Truth, CK Crave, Fahrenheit, Clinique Happy, Hugo Boss, Boss In Motion, Joop Go, Paul Smith Extreme, Obsession, Obsession Night, Aramis

At 27 I've decided that it's time to start doing some research and broadening my horizons. I'm looking to move away from the stuff aimed at the younger end of the market. Basenotes certainly looks like the best place to start my journey.
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 13th November 2011 at 09:59 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Basenotes certainly looks like the best place to start my journey.
    Without a doubt !.

Hi,
    my name is Nadia, I'm from Brazil and I'm crazy about perfumes, but my skin its "picky" and can turn marvellous fragrances in to stink ones at me
    I started to looking for samples and found this amazing place which I'm just starting to explore.

Blog Entries

Welcome, Nadia!

You have the right idea about using samples to find which perfumes work well with your skin, and which don't.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by nadiatavar View Post
    Hi,
    my name is Nadia, I'm from Brazil and I'm crazy about perfumes, but my skin its "picky" and can turn marvellous fragrances in to stink ones at me
    I started to looking for samples and found this amazing place which I'm just starting to explore.
    Welcome to Basenotes, Nadia

Basenotes Member

Hi everyone, been an admirer of many an EdT and EdP but never been able to afford to have a decent collection until now.

This place looks perfect for me to broaden my fragrance horizon.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by matfrith View Post
    Hi everyone, been an admirer of many an EdT and EdP but never been able to afford to have a decent collection until now.

This place looks perfect for me to broaden my fragrance horizon.

There is nowhere better - good to see you here, matfrith

Basenotes Member

There is nowhere better - good to see you here, matfrith

Wow, a fellow Leeds (and fragrance) fan!

Good win for us today, real smash and grab performance!