Code of Conduct
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Quote Originally Posted by matfrith View Post
    Wow, a fellow Leeds (and fragrance) fan!

Good win for us today, real smash and grab performance!

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 19th November 2011 at 09:53 PM.

quick question. how do i make a post? i know how to send a comment but making a post asking a qiestion i cant figure out!

a post is the same as a comment , what you just did
    good
    what you want in order to ask a question is to make/create a thread

it goes like this : you go to the head of the discussion/topic/forum by clicking on it titles - for example "just starting out"- there you will see all the threads listed for it.
    on top of this list in a grey menu bar, you see "forum tools" : by clicking this you open a drop down menu, click then on "start new thread"

WELCOME AND ENJOY YOUR STAY AT BASENOTES !
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

^ Thanks a lot! lol didnt realize that i basically answered my question, thanks for realizing what i really was asking haha

Welcome and have fun reading the reviews

Salam alayka & hi to all..
    I'm newbie, from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia..

Post Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi everyone! I am new to the site - just signed up.. I've been drawn to fragrance for my whole life, and have spent a lot of time smelling everything I can, but I have a lot to learn. I just made my first trip to Scent Bar in Los Angeles yesterday. It changed my world. I went in to explore incense as an ingredient. (I'm going through an incense burning phase again in my life... ) The guys at Scent Bar were amazing and introduced me to so many new perfumes. I walked out with L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer, which I'm enjoying a lot right now, but I also liked CDG Kyoto, and I think L'air du desert marocain and I think Craft by Andra Maack, though I need a sample of those to really decide.

When I got to Scent Bar yesterday, I felt like I had found "my people." Hahaha... My friends up to this point in life find my interest/obsession with perfume endearing, but no one really "gets it". I also realized how little I know! There is a whole world for me to learn. Anyone want to take me under his/her wing? I really want to be able to identify notes in perfumes... At this point, my nose is not developed at all. Any suggestions/advice?

I know I'll be back at Scent Bar in the near future.....

Thanks!

Banned

Hello, buddy i am also new member. i have no more idea. please help me.. thanks finally i found perfume, fragrance discussion forum.. i am happy..

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes, OudhFactoryHamilulMissk, BiancaLA and Girish singh!

Quote Originally Posted by Girish singh View Post
    Hello, buddy i am also new member. i have no more idea. please help me.. thanks finally i found perfume, fragrance discussion forum.. i am happy..
    Welcome, Girish and enjoy

Newbie saying hi to everyone. I discovered this site just a few weeks back and it has been invaluable in helping me make some new fragrance decisions. I seem to have been relying on the same EDT (Eau Sauvage) for about 35 years, with a few excursions along the way like Anteaus, Issey Myake, Floris Elite and Givenchy Gentleman - but always its Eau Sauvage that I rely on for the daily wear. I dont think that will ever change - running out would be inconceivable. but Basenotes has inspired to get out and pick up a few new ones. thanks everyone for the reviews/opinions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
    Newbie saying hi to everyone. I discovered this site just a few weeks back and it has been invaluable in helping me make some new fragrance decisions. I seem to have been relying on the same EDT (Eau Sauvage) for about 35 years, with a few excursions along the way like Anteaus, Issey Myake, Floris Elite and Givenchy Gentleman - but always its Eau Sauvage that I rely on for the daily wear. I dont think that will ever change - running out would be inconceivable. but Basenotes has inspired to get out and pick up a few new ones. thanks everyone for the reviews/opinions.
    Another Yorkshireman enters the fold .
    Eau Sauvage is a classic fragrance worthy of many thumbs up - great choice.

Welcome on board, Manticore - good to have you here.

Welcome to you!

I just signed up last night. I was thrilled to find this sight!!! I have tried to talk to several people and get answers, only to have my emails ignored or overlooked. Perhaps now I can get answers. As an art major I studied some chemistry like copels,ambers, and pigments in depth. Several things led to an interest in Perfume designing.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome -
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th December 2011 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks Jon!!!!!!!

I will post some questions later or tonight after I get out of Concert!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dSasha View Post
    Hello everyone!
    My name is Dalia and I'm glad to be here.
    I'm on my way to read FAQ.
    So I just stopped by to say hi.
    Hi back - welcome to Basenotes, Dalia.

Hi I am new to this site and looking forward to reading all the post here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by M.Oltmanns View Post
    Hi I am new to this site and looking forward to reading all the post here

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking the website for a few years now, but was too young to understand much of it.
    I'm a 20yo student in the UK, and I'm looking for a good everyday perfume under 40 pounds. Any starting points? There aren't that many perfume stores in my town, and the ones I could find were massively understocked, so if I am lucky to get to a sephora, maybe you could give some advice on which perfumes to try.

Just tried the Jean Paul Gaultier Le male, and didn't like it, found it a bit too sweet for my taste.
    Oh, and I don't like overpowering perfumes, just looking for something lasting and discernable only from close distance.

Anyway, it feels good joining the Basenotes forums at last.

Cheers,
    EK

Edit: Just tried L'eau d'issey and it's definitely going to be my perfume. It goes so well with my skin it's incredible. It also works really well with my personality. I'm not too keen on the top notes though, although it's definitely the smell I've been looking for all along. Also tried Davidoff coolwater and A*men. Sorry guys, but they don't touch me the way L'eau d'Issey does.
    Last edited by EnglishKnight; 12th December 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Hi all,
    Ive often looked at the basenotes reviews but never realised there was a forum, my apologies, until today so hope you dont mind if i join.
    Im a long time wet shaver DE mainly with a collection of razors, brushes, soaps and creams etc and also a small collection of edt/c's.
    I love the tabac type scents and keep promising myself some Odori tabacco but its not available in the UK as far as i know.
    Anyhow I look forward to catching up with all that happens on the forum and my thanks to basenotes for the splendid reviews.
    Hopefully I'll be able to make a worthwhile contribution to the forum.
    regards, beejay

Basenotes Plus

Extending the warmest of welcomes to EnglishKnight and beejay.
    Glad you both decided to join up

Just a quick hello from a new guy. I have in the past found all your reviews and comments very interesting and thought I perhaps could join in from time to time, though I do not have the language and experience of you all.

Blog Entries

Goodness, lots of new folks since I last read this thread. Welcome all!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Just a quick hello from a new guy. I have in the past found all your reviews and comments very interesting and thought I perhaps could join in from time to time, though I do not have the language and experience of you all.
    Welcome Kwant .

Thanks for the warm welcome :0)

Many thanks for kind welcome although I suspect being a member of this forum is going to cost me dearly
    regards, beejay

I am extremely new to fragrance. I have tried to explain my criteria to many fragrance department ladies and we both end up getting frustrated and I go home one more time with no product. My ideal fragrance would be not flowery or sweet in any way, would be subtle with maybe an amber undertone, and one spritz in the morning would do me for the day. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone. New member here. I just joined but I have been lurking for awhile. This site is addicting! Lots of enjoyable posts and people/personalities here! Look forward to learning more about my new hobby.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 22nd December 2011 at 05:19 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome aboard sharonslilsis and RedRaider430

hellok80

Greetings from an other lurker/newbie. =)
    I've been trying to find a scent I really like for a while now, and am finally steeling myself to go to a brick and mortar store...
    Until then I'm sure this site can keep me busy. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge - this is an amazing site/forum!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hellok80 View Post
    Greetings from an other lurker/newbie. =)
    I've been trying to find a scent I really like for a while now, and am finally steeling myself to go to a brick and mortar store...
    Until then I'm sure this site can keep me busy. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge - this is an amazing site/forum!
    Great to have you here, hellok80

Just wanted to post to say "Hello" to all... I've used fragrances in the past for creating bath oils/bath salts, but I'm interested now in learning about perfume-making and hopefully trying to recreate a few old favorites... or at least something similar. I have dozens of questions, but they can wait while I explore the site a bit. I'm really looking forward to this new adventure.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shahara View Post
    Just wanted to post to say "Hello" to all... I've used fragrances in the past for creating bath oils/bath salts, but I'm interested now in learning about perfume-making and hopefully trying to recreate a few old favorites... or at least something similar. I have dozens of questions, but they can wait while I explore the site a bit. I'm really looking forward to this new adventure.
    Welcome aboard Shahara.

just a quick thank to the basenote community. i have been checking this site for some time and felt it was time to say hello and thanks So much to learn and so much fun. i Enjoy the reviews and all the available information. Ty all very much

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharonslilsis View Post
    I am extremely new to fragrance. I have tried to explain my criteria to many fragrance department ladies and we both end up getting frustrated and I go home one more time with no product. My ideal fragrance would be not flowery or sweet in any way, would be subtle with maybe an amber undertone, and one spritz in the morning would do me for the day. Any suggestions?
    Welcome-- try posting your question by starting a thread in Just Starting Out and you will probably get lots of suggestions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tucansam View Post
    just a quick thank to the basenote community. i have been checking this site for some time and felt it was time to say hello and thanks So much to learn and so much fun. i Enjoy the reviews and all the available information. Ty all very much
    Hello back, Tucansam. Welcome to Basenotes !.

Hi

My friend recently passed me an attar which he had make using rose,musk and ambergris. I found the smell to be extremely pleasant and found out he had concocted it himself which got me interested in scents.

I also went to an arab scented oils shop and purhased myself 6 ml of bulgarian rose and 6 ml of oudh which cost me SGD 150 but love the smells. I mixed the 2 oils to make a blend of the smells, but i think need to learn more about perfumery and the mechanics in mixing so that the 2 smells can be incorporated well as a dynamic scent rather than just a mixture of 2 pure scents

Cheers

Blog Entries

After lurking for a couple of years now, I finally decided to sign up and make a post here. Just wanted to say that Basenotes is an awesome site and the members sound very knowledgeable. Everytime I search for a cologne/perfume, it's always here. It is like a perfume wiki, very useful and informative.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    After lurking for a couple of years now, I finally decided to sign up and make a post here. Just wanted to say that Basenotes is an awesome site and the members sound very knowledgeable. Everytime I search for a cologne/perfume, it's always here. It is like a perfume wiki, very useful and informative.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Hello all. Have been using this site for years for reviews, and have been interested in fragrance for years and years. Finally I'm ready to learn more...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tindara View Post
    Hello all. Have been using this site for years for reviews, and have been interested in fragrance for years and years. Finally I'm ready to learn more...

I lurked for years too - good to see you finally join up.

Blog Entries

Welcome! It's great to have some new members!

Hi another long time lurker who thought i should finally sign up. im john from England, i have a very varied taste in scents & always buy what i like, if its a "cool" brand thats great but if not then so be it. I seem to have knocked the obeseeion with buying (edt's mostly) scents up a gear lately. The forum looks great & im looking foward to chatting with new people who all smell good lol.

on a side note i have looked at the FAQ & abrevations thread but i cant find one that explains sillage / longivity etc could somebody explain these & the other simlar terms or link me to where i can read about this

many thanks , John

Hi, from a 28yr Male in Sydney.

Like others I stumbled upon this site via DE shaving threads - the natural progression is colognes/perfumes right heh.
    Anyway, also like others, I did not realise you needed to post in here before being able to create threads?

Hi All

I might be the first Thai guy in here...im such a very newbie in perfume. I accidently found out this website and glad to join a member. I plan to open my aroma business so I may ask a lot of stupid question to you guys to getting some advice. By the way I might not good in typing in English..and all may forgive me. Peace

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Petakung View Post
    Hi All

I might be the first Thai guy in here...im such a very newbie in perfume. I accidently found out this website and glad to join a member. I plan to open my aroma business so I may ask a lot of stupid question to you guys to getting some advice. By the way I might not good in typing in English..and all may forgive me. Peace
    Welcome to Basenotes, Petakung - I think we have one or two Thai members already here
    Don't worry about your English - you're doing fine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john122 View Post
    Hi everybody! nelson new here......
    Welcome!
    And Happy Birthday a day early, in case I forget tomorrow. Are you getting any fragrance to celebrate the occasion?

Hello! This is a valuable resource and and such great, helpful, knowledgeable people. And boy, do you all smell great!

I have been reading and learning so much from this site. For years, I wore whatever frag I was given for gifts, only buying one for myself every year or so. Then, I blind bought Angel. I read some gushingly positive reviews of it (admittedly not here) but on me it was disgusting. I smelled like burnt toast. I gave it away.

Anyway, I am in the phase of acquiring LOTS of samples and decants, as there as many many "classics" which I've never smelled.

So far, my favorites are Acqua di Parma Profumo, Dior Hypnotic Poison, Lancome Magie Noire and Serge Lutens Filles et Anguilles.

I'm spending too much money, but it's a lot of fun.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RingER View Post
    I'm spending too much money
    Sounds familiar !

Welcome to Basenotes, RingER

Hi, I'm new! I recently acquired a perfume I'd been interested in (Guerlain Double Vanille) and wanted to learn a little bit more about the world of fragrance. I starting searching for a good book and then I stumbled upon this site. What a wealth of knowledge! I'm really looking forward to learning a whole lot more!
    Last edited by Koren; 4th February 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Koren View Post
    Hi, I'm new! I recently acquired a perfume I'd been interested in (Guerlain Double Vanille) and wanted to learn a little bit more about the world of fragrance. I starting searching for a good book and and then I stumbled upon this site. What a wealth of knowledge! I'm really looking forward to learning a whole lot more!

Welcome aboard, Koren !.

Hello all!
    Just starting out in the world of fragrance, and the info in this forum is mind-boggling!
    Looking forward to learning more

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bradman View Post
    Hello all!
    Just starting out in the world of fragrance, and the info in this forum is mind-boggling!
    Looking forward to learning more
    Welcome Bradman ! - hope the journey is a rewarding one. You should find all you need here.

Basenotes Institution

A warm welcome to all new members- it's really good to have you all here. I've been away for sometime but I hope you get to know you all and I hope you have fun here.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Dt : 06.02.2012.
    Hi Grant,

I am a beginner here and have not crossed infancy & so feeling shy to ask silly questions. I have read in some blog that some great formulas were lost because the creator forgot to record it in paper.
    The same incident happened with me and due to my overconfidence i have lost it thus missed my only harmonic creation (natural & so beautiful that through closed container the room was full with its aroma) Though i have not surrendered, i am still after it.
    I can give you the materials if you can help & it goes as:
    Ceder,Juniper,Coriander, Cinamon Bark,Nutmeg Ylang Ylang,Vetiver,Benjoin,Labdanum,Myrrh,Vanilla (synthetic),Sandal & Musk (synthetic),Bergamot,Neroli,Patchouli & Gerenium.
    If you can help me with the formula i will be obliged.
    Thanks.
    Mysoresandal.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by nelson1234 View Post
    Hi! i am nelson new here and i like this forum therefore, i use this forum daily........

Hi ,
    what is the best possible medium / solvent for diluting thick oils like benjoin,myrrh,olibenum,oakmoss etc.

Thanks
    mysoresandal
    india.

Hi everyone! Fragrance noob here, but I'm already learning a lot from this awesome site! Looking forward to learning everything I can about my newest obsession and maybe make some new friends along the way