Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Quote Originally Posted by adzy7777 View Post
    Iv'e finally registered to basenotes having been looking at it for years!
    Glad to hear it, adzy7777

Hello everyone,

I know little to nothing about fragrance but I have been very interested by the world of scent, lately.
    Two things have drawn me closer to the resources found on Basenotes, in particular...

My recent forays into wet shaving have led me to explore aftershaves, which in turn piqued my curiosity about "cologne". (What I recently understood to be a single monolithic category!)

Secondly, I completed some sommelier courses not long ago, and the formal analysis and appreciation of wine aromas sparked my interest in perfumery. As someone who also enjoys the nuances of craft beer, fine cognac/whisky/rum, cigars and pipe tobacco - it is almost a natural extension of my other interests.

I've already learned a great deal from the reviews and forums here. While a lot of people close to me are very sensitive to fragrance, I hope to indulge sparingly as a little luxury to myself. I'm even happy just to expand my general knowledge a bit! I've found reading about various perfumes extremely addictive, so far...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by delamain View Post
    Hello everyone,

I know little to nothing about fragrance but I have been very interested by the world of scent, lately.
    Two things have drawn me closer to the resources found on Basenotes, in particular...

My recent forays into wet shaving have led me to explore aftershaves, which in turn piqued my curiosity about "cologne". (What I recently understood to be a single monolithic category!)

Secondly, I completed some sommelier courses not long ago, and the formal analysis and appreciation of wine aromas sparked my interest in perfumery. As someone who also enjoys the nuances of craft beer, fine cognac/whisky/rum, cigars and pipe tobacco - it is almost a natural extension of my other interests.

I've already learned a great deal from the reviews and forums here. While a lot of people close to me are very sensitive to fragrance, I hope to indulge sparingly as a little luxury to myself. I'm even happy just to expand my general knowledge a bit! I've found reading about various perfumes extremely addictive, so far...
    Great post, delamain !. I concur that fragrant passions have parallels with the appreciation of a good single malt or real ale - connoisseurship exists in both worlds and is no less addictive in either.
    Good to have you here

Thanks a million, Jon. Cheers!

Another parallel between both worlds that is new to me is the controversy surrounding reformulation - I was oblivious to that notion in perfumery until a number of days ago! Of course, beer is constantly "reformulated" to reflect the changing characteristics of the available ingredients but there are also many examples of accountants making a change in the brewhouse that loyal fans bitterly detest! Reading the debates on various forums about differences between Shulton Old Spice and the P&G version also really drove it home for me about the effects of aging and "vintage variation" on fragrance! It should be obvious, of course, but I never truly considered the matter. Intriguing food for thought...

Basenotes Institution

Welcome delamain and adzy7777 !!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Newbie here to Basenotes! I've known about it for years and have from time to time come here for info...a lurker, I suppose. ;-) But I'm interested in checking it out further!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, as a newbie: when am I able to post in the "Items for Sale" forum? Is it after so many posts? I'm not currently able to find the rules on this. It looks like I'm able to post threads in other forums, but not the "Items for Sale" forum.

i just signed up today , i have gone through you post. i don't have much know;edge about fragrances. i am feeling very glad to found this thread and website . I like you post . i want o make a quesion about fragrances which one is best and how to choose rigght one

Quote Originally Posted by ImCoco4Chanel View Post
    BTW, as a newbie: when am I able to post in the "Items for Sale" forum? Is it after so many posts? I'm not currently able to find the rules on this. It looks like I'm able to post threads in other forums, but not the "Items for Sale" forum.
    To post in the "Items for Sale" forum, you have to have 500 posts OR have been a member here at Basenotes for one year, OR be a Basenotes Plus supporting member (i.e, pay a fee).

Hi,

Newbie to the fragrance world here! Been wearing Terre de Hermes for the last coupla years..Discovered Mugler Cologne as an everyday scent last year and it was time for a new one. Guerlain L 'instant, Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, varvatos Artisan, prada amber homme and finally creed original vetiver followed over the next month...

Obsession? hobby?

Wonder what Guerlain Vetiver smells like...

Heh, heh.

Look forward to speaking to you all!

Basenotes Plus

Warm Basenotes welcomes to ImCoco4Chanel, jenifier, and EncreNous (BTW yes, definitely an obsession )

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the noobs!

jenifier, check out the ladies' forum too!

Hallo basenotes community,

I`m very happy that I`ve found a place, where a newbie can get so much information about the world of scents. I don`t know really much about scents so far, but I think it will change in future . After buying a few not really nice edts, I`ve decided, investing a bit more in parfume. To each other newbie who hesitate, through higher prices, I can say do it, invest more money, it`s worth it!

Currently I own Tom Ford Black Orchid and Guerlain Shalimar, both are great fragrances, I think. I`m not scared of wearing parfume, which counts as "femine", when I like it and think it fits to me! Next buy would be Ysl Opium pour homme edp, maybe.

Greetz

thanks, where i can get the ladies froums

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Orchid View Post
    Hallo basenotes community,

I`m very happy that I`ve found a place, where a newbie can get so much information about the world of scents. I don`t know really much about scents so far, but I think it will change in future . After buying a few not really nice edts, I`ve decided, investing a bit more in parfume. To each other newbie who hesitate, through higher prices, I can say do it, invest more money, it`s worth it!

Currently I own Tom Ford Black Orchid and Guerlain Shalimar, both are great fragrances, I think. I`m not scared of wearing parfume, which counts as "femine", when I like it and think it fits to me! Next buy would be Ysl Opium pour homme edp, maybe.Greetz
    You have two great fragrances in Shalimar and Black Orchid (I own and love both myself). Expect your collection to grow - rapidly !.

Welcome aboard

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

jenifier, see Female Fragrance Discussion here:

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/21-F...nce-Discussion

Does anyone know how to get hold of some samples of stange and invisible perfumes aquarian rose?I tried through the company but they were going to charge over 50 dollars to send a 5 dollar sample to the UK from the USA where the company is.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hello chimpet,

On their website they list international stockists. This one is in the UK:
    Content Beauty/Wellbeing
    14 Bulstrode Street
    Marylebone, London
    W1U2JG
    +44(0) 203 075 1066

http://www.beingcontent.com/

Maybe you can stop in there, or call them to see if they can send you a sample.

Hello everyone I have been browsing the forum for a while now but never signed up and finally decided to today. I already have a few frags but not nearly as many as I would like to have meaning I don't think I have a good collection yet. So I am here to learn from all of you and hope to one day have a awsome woredrobe like many on here.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Stayclose!

Wink Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Just found this site !! cool place
    Well I am old timer but always learning new things.
    Never to old to learn. LOL
    I do love making soap and perfume I would say its most gratifying thing I have ever done.
    Well I just go read everything and enjoy!!

Though I've been browsing the site for a while, just registered recently. This is an awesome site to know pretty much everything about fragrances and I gotta say that reading about all the different scents is quite addictive!

I'm a newbie to the world of scents, the only thing I have right now is a EDT of Nautica Voyage (which I think is good).
    Hoping to learn a lot along the way.

Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes, Willard and nazgul104

Hi All, I'm new here and just learning about fragrances seeing I've become interested in starting a collection. I just own 5 so far (Drakkar Noir, Calvin Klein's Obsession, DKNY Men, Dirty English, and an older favourite of mine that I bought about 5 years ago as my first serious fragrance - Givenchy's Gentleman). I'm only 27 though I tend to like the ones that some people associate with older men (from what I've read, the ones referred to as '80s powerhouses/orientals etc).

My question: Can anyone recommend other fragrances that are smell-alikes to Drakkar Noir and CK's Obsession for men? I'd really like to know others that are like these two seeing they're my favourite...

Thanks for posting this very useful thread!

Welcome Classicrock!

One fragrance I think of as related to Obsession might be L'Anarchiste by Caron. It's spicy and sweet, has a slight metallic edge to it. Notes are orange flower, mandarin, cinnamon, mint, vetiver, sandalwood, cedar.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Welcome Classicrock!

One fragrance I think of as related to Obsession might be L'Anarchiste by Caron. It's spicy and sweet, has a slight metallic edge to it. Notes are orange flower, mandarin, cinnamon, mint, vetiver, sandalwood, cedar.
    Thanks furrypine! Those notes sound like my kind of thing! I will try and find it and sample it. Not quite rich enough for blind buys yet haha

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Hello Cindy
    What an exciting world you've yet to discover! I find fragrance just so exciting, and I get a real thrill every time I buy a new one. As for the snooty perfume counter assistants, there is a simple solution. You subtley lean across the counter and whisper, "Listen, love, you're a shop assistant. Get over yourself." Works a treat ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi PB
    Do you wait absolutely ages for people to reply?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Just found this site !! cool place
    Well I am old timer but always learning new things.
    Never to old to learn. LOL
    I do love making soap and perfume I would say its most gratifying thing I have ever done.
    Well I just go read everything and enjoy!!
    Welcome Willard!
    As a maker of soap and perfume I'm sure your contributions in the forum "Fragrance DIY" would be very valuable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nazgul104 View Post
    Though I've been browsing the site for a while, just registered recently. This is an awesome site to know pretty much everything about fragrances and I gotta say that reading about all the different scents is quite addictive!

I'm a newbie to the world of scents, the only thing I have right now is a EDT of Nautica Voyage (which I think is good).
    Hoping to learn a lot along the way.

Cheers!
    Welcome Nazgul! Hope to see more of you. If you want to branch out from Voyage, I suggest trying Set Sail St. Barts by Tommy Bahama; a citrus-aquatic with coconut, guava and tequila thrown in the mix

Basenotes Institution

Warm welcomes everyone here who is new ! It's great you joined us here on Basenotes.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Welcome to all the newcomers!!!

Hi everyone!

What a great site! After years of spending a fortune on the wrong perfumes, I can hopefully find out a lot more about the scents before I purchase them. Whilst writing, can anyone recommend the most realistic jasmine scent? I absolutely love jasmine and really wish to try out some jasmine based scents but the market seems to have quite a few. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for reading.

Marryat x

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Welcome marryat!

Jasmine is a popular note; here are a number of threads discussing jasmine perfumes!

http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=7007664

Basenotes Plus

Hi marryat, welcome to Basenotes.

Here's a few jasmine recommendations.
    1. Thierry Mugler Alien
    2. Serge Luten Ala Nuit
    3. Lush Lust

All 3 are very bold scents, but if you love jasmine you would probably like these.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard the FragTrainExpress.. Take a long ride and enjoy the scene of fragrance knowledge. Hold on tight for it can get bumpy at times.

Thanks very much for the warm welcome and the suggestions re jasmine.

I do wear Alien but but never realised what the appeal was until now, obviously the jasimine!

I have just read through some previous posts re jasmine and have a long list to try out! Off out to get some samples during my lunch break!

Will keep you posted on my jasmine journey

thanks . thankyou very much to gide me for ladies fra
    grances

I'm also new here

Greet you with a BIG HELLO

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by smithsam View Post
    I'm also new here

Greet you with a BIG HELLO
    Likewise

Welcome smithsam !.

I'm COMPLETELY new to fragrance & have been obsessing over basenotes.com. What a wonderful community! Thanks to your terrific reviews, I (at the ripe old age of 52) bought my first perfume, "First" (appropriately) by Van Cleef, and have just anointed myself with its elixir, now wafting up from my ... bosom? Yes, wearing this scent, it seems I've suddenly sported a bosom. I should be wearing something torn and velvety. And reciting William Blake. And raising a glass, feet up, to toast basenotes.com! Bravo to you, my dear scented eccentrics! I've come of age!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Welcome, jouissance! For sure, this is the only place I ever talk about my décolletage. And I'm 56.

Hi all! I signed up a few weeks ago and overlooked this thread to introduce myself properly. Whoops. So, Hi everyone.

I'm new to this website but not to perfume...I've been surrounded by perfumes my whole life. Only now am I starting to understand why I like/love some and dislike others. Hoping to train my nose with some light reading! Oh, and I just bought a bottle of ELDO's Putain des Palaces from MIN NY! for me for my vacation fund.
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”

― C. JoyBell C.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by muskymoi View Post
    Hi all! I signed up a few weeks ago and overlooked this thread to introduce myself properly. Whoops. So, Hi everyone.

I'm new to this website but not to perfume...I've been surrounded by perfumes my whole life. Only now am I starting to understand why I like/love some and dislike others. Hoping to train my nose with some light reading! Oh, and I just bought a bottle of ELDO's Putain des Palaces from MIN NY! for me for my vacation fund.
    Thanks for the introduction and congrats on a great purchase

Hi everyone

I've been reading reviews on here and also youtube, testing and trying fragrances for a few months now and thought it was time to say hello.

So far, my favourites are YSL Rive Gauche PH and Body Kouros, L'instant de Guerlain PH, Bulgari Black, CK One Shock and Paul Smith Man. I've tried most of the designers at stores around here but I'm looking to start getting some niche samples soon.

Cheers
    Last edited by NotPigeons; 31st August 2012 at 12:31 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NotPigeons View Post
    Hi everyone

I've been reading reviews on here and also youtube, testing and trying fragrances for a few months now and thought it was time to say hello.

So far, my favourites are YSL Rive Gauche PH and Body Kouros, L'instant de Guerlain PH, Bulgari Black, CK One Shock and Paul Smith Man. I've tried most of the designers at stores around here but I'm looking to start getting some niche samples soon.

Cheers
    Welcome to Basenotes, NotPigeons - enjoy the fragrant journey

Finally signed up, after viewing this forum as a guest for about a year, hi everyone!
    Simply the best!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Experting View Post
    Finally signed up, after viewing this forum as a guest for about a year, hi everyone!

Thank you Jon Rodgers and Furrypine! WIll definitely try the Tommy Bahama one..sounds enticing..

Just a quick hello, I'm a traditional straight razor user and mostly frequent the shaving forums, aged 53 have been using in one form or another Men's fragrance for the last 40 years, my current lineup being Penhaligon's Castile L'Occitane Baux, and L'Occitane Cedre L'Atlas Eau de parfum, I've also tried many samples through the years, and my current favourite is Creed Tabarone and Creed Neroli Savage.

Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by celticrusader View Post
    Just a quick hello, I'm a traditional straight razor user and mostly frequent the shaving forums, aged 53 have been using in one form or another Men's fragrance for the last 40 years, my current lineup being Penhaligon's Castile L'Occitane Baux, and L'Occitane Cedre L'Atlas Eau de parfum, I've also tried many samples through the years, and my current favourite is Creed Tabarone and Creed Neroli Savage.

Jamie.
    Welcome Jamie! Sounds like you are half-way to becoming a Creedhead , well you are in good company. Just remember if you like Creed you don't like Bond no. 9, these are the rules.

Thanks for the opening hello.

Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Welcome Jamie! Sounds like you are half-way to becoming a Creedhead , well you are in good company. Just remember if you like Creed you don't like Bond no. 9, these are the rules.

Basenotes Member

Hello!

I've been lurking/learning on an almost daily basis since early spring, eventually registered in July, and am finally (happily) making my first post! Awesome forum, cool people, great knowledge. While I'm still learning my notes and enjoying every minute of it, I look forward to chiming in where I can.

A broad and sincere THANK YOU to all of those maintaining and contributing,
    -Delly

Basenotes Plus

Sending a very warm welcome to celticrusader, sergio Butler, and Delly - glad to have you all on board

Hello everyone! Im new to the site n fragrance world.
    Learn a lot from this site and hope can share with you all.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by seizetheday View Post
    Hello everyone! Im new to the site n fragrance world.
    Learn a lot from this site and hope can share with you all.
    Welcome to Basenotes, seizetheday

Basenotes Member

Hola everuone!
    I´m new to perfume/fragance/scent world, I´ve been lurking around the site/forum for a while and finally I decided to join it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by engar View Post
    Hola everuone!
    I´m new to perfume/fragance/scent world, I´ve been lurking around the site/forum for a while and finally I decided to join it.
    Glad to have you here, engar. Welcome and enjoy !.

I' m new here. Need help in choosing the right perfume for me.

Hi another newbie here. I know nothing about the technicalities of perfume but know the smells I like and when a perfume smells good or bad on me so am I odd because I`m happy enough with my simplistic approach to perfume ?
    I can look at a £6million Van Gogh and declare it ugly and view my grand daughter`s painting and declare it beautiful, I`m pretty much the same with perfume. Have smelled some ridiculously expensive ones and declared them awful and smelled some fairly cheap ones and loved them. I`ve just ordered some Attars and would be interested if anybody else has experience of them. I like the thoughts of dabbing little drops from crystal bottles and the lack of chemicals in them and the fact they`re supposed to mature with age. I may hate them but I`ll give them a go.

- - - Updated - - -

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes Jappet and Bronte55!

You can set a introducing page of this forum!

Hello everyone, I am happy to know about this site. Thanks to it I learned about new fragrances, and which ones to avoid.