Code of Conduct
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

I had the same question & posted a simple list of basic categories from another site. I subsequently received this comment from noggs:

"As far as I know, Basenotes does not have and chooses not to use such a system.

I recall reading posts in the past about this. Grant himself may have contributed, I don't remember. The gist was that there are no standardized fragrance categories and no standard system in use within the industry. I suppose the most widely used system might be the one used by Michael Edwards.

The placement of fragrances into various categories is subjective and highly flexible, especially with some perfumers now blending elements of different traditional categories to create "hybrid" scents. I think Basenotes wants to stay away from such arbitrary and subjective classifications."

There are various sites that list various somewhat similar categorizations...I don't know why Basenotes prefers to avoid such lists, although I essentially agree with noggs' comment, most who write here refer themselves to categories such as fougeres, chypres, herbals, aquas, florals, orientals, etc...I agree there are definitely cross-over aromas yet essential categories can be used in at least a general way for the inevitable sake of convenience...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 12th October 2010 at 02:17 AM.

Here's what I had posted in a thread I had started (Fragrance Categories):

I wish Basenotes had a Category (male & female) List of fragrances characterized as predominantly florals, fruits, fougeres, aquas or blues, grasses or greens, chypre or woods. orientals or spices, tobaccos, etc...or however best (professionally) they could/should be categorized...I know there is a certain amount of cross-over of elements...if Basenotes does have such a category page I have not as yet been able to find it...

Here might be a starting point from - http://www.janmoran.com/perfume_101.html#Overwhelmed

Popular Fragrance Categories:

Floral single flowers or classic floral blends, fresh, fruity, or powdery
    Citrus Fruity lemon, orange, bergamot, apple, berries
    Aquatic rain-fresh or ocean aromas
    Nature Greens fresh-mown grass and spring leaves
    Oriental vanilla-ambery or spicy-woody, floral Oriental blends
    Chypre citrus, patchouli, moss
    Fougère(meaning fern) well-balanced citrus, lavender, woods (popular masculine fragrances)
    Woody pine, cedar, sandalwood, patchouli
    Last edited by wggmn3; 12th October 2010 at 04:30 AM.

Default hunting for sen-sen perfume

Hello everyone

I've been lurking in the basenotes forums for a couple of months now, and I'm both impressed and daunted by everyone's knowledge. I decided to create a profile because I don't know much yet about perfume, but I am having a great time learning more. This semester I'm thinking of doing a research paper on perfume and its connection to sublimity--there seems to be so much written on scent, and there are so many ways one could approach a topic like this. Also, it could be fun to look for critical-theory-style explications of perfume names (especially the French ones--l'apres l'ondee?--wonderful). Have any of you heard of such a thing? Long story short, I'm obsessed with perfume and am already beginning to spend money I don't have on it. Yay!

In trying to track down a particular fragrance, I began reading about perfume, exploring brands and notes, buying samples, etc. It didn't take long to become totally enamored of the "suchness" of scent.

Up until this year, the only perfume I had ever bought for myself was Child (don't laugh!). The second time I purchased it, it came with a few samples. Florence by Tocca was one, and the other I cannot for the life of me remember! It's a mystery that neither I nor beautyhabit have been able to solve. The vial had a French word on it, but this was before I took French 101 or recognized perfume houses--thought it might have been Guerlain but beautyhabit has never carried them. All I really do know is it smelled exactly like Sen-Sen--the old-timey breath perfume. Are any of you familiar with those little black tabs and their distinct smell? My internet research indicates that the major notes in sen-sen (not necessarily the frag itself) are licorice+violet or licorice+lavender. I remember sen-sen smelling herb-y, kind of sharp with something like a menthol-tingle, but not menthol. The mystery fragrance may have had some slight orange or citrus notes that were left after the sen-sen smell dissipated. The frag was light, so it may be an EDT or EDC or even a fraiche I'm looking for. Oh, and I lost the vial (of course).

This was a really long post, sorry I look forward to learning from you all. Since I don't have much perfume knowledge to share, here is a note about fragrance in pre-contact Hawaii (from Peter Buck's Arts and Crafts of Hawaii):

The Hawaiian word for perfume is "wai'ala." Ancient Hawaiians made cloth, called kapa, out of bark. The fun part is that the cloth was infused with various scents: laua'e fern (Phymatosorus scolopendria), kupaoa (Railliardia ciliolata), mokihana & maile (both smell gorgeous, are still used in lei-making today), powdered sandalwood, awapuhi rhizome, ilima, and kamani flowers. Historian Samuel Kamakau said a piece of cloth scented with one such infusion, "it becomes a fragrant thing with a soft pleasant odour like a cool morning." I'll have what he's smelling.

If you haven't, try to find a way to sniff maile and mokihana one day. The two are used together in leis. The former is supposed to be reminiscent of tonka bean or vanilla grass because it contains coumarin (according to wikipedia--I don't know what tonka or vanilla grass smell like). The latter is anise-y but not in a gourmand way.

Here are links with info on some of these plants if you are interested in these plants:
    http://www.canoeplants.com/wauke.html
    http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/carr/natives.htm

Default Re: hunting for sen-sen perfume

To Puce Oublieuse (hhhmmm, qu'est-ce que ca veut dire: "forgetful thumb")

- You'll undoubtedly catch on quickly...as I'm sure you have, it seems all you need to do is read a bunch of critiques for the necessary vocab & the rest is pretty subjective / personal as to what you like or don't...obviously you can only depend so far on other's opinions no matter how well they write, how well they express their pov...& thanks for the very interesting info regarding"wai'ala"...w/ hyperlinks to boot...

Quote Originally Posted by davidwillson View Post
    Is there a page with a FAQ somewhere that explains things like the difference between EDP and EDT and Millesime and such?
    Here's a very informative page which will fill you in on the different concentrations.

http://www.basenotes.net/articles/fragrancefaq.html

And JaimeB has a very interesting article on the meaning of Millésime here:

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/91-...3%A9simes-quot

Thank you so much for this board. I am a newbie and it has really helped me already. Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

Nice to meet you too nikole ^^^ welcome !!.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 3rd December 2010 at 08:25 AM.

Smile Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hey everyone, I was just looking online and I found this wonderful place! I love fragrances, and I finally decided to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Right now, I have about 20 bottles of fragrances, and most of them are mainstream. After a recent visit to Dubai, I have decided that I want to find smells that are bit more excusive, and that can really excite my senses. Just from reading a few posts, I see I have a lot to learn! I'm looking forward to learning more, and seeing what is out there! :-)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Degoody View Post
    Hey everyone, I was just looking online and I found this wonderful place! I love fragrances, and I finally decided to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Right now, I have about 20 bottles of fragrances, and most of them are mainstream. After a recent visit to Dubai, I have decided that I want to find smells that are bit more excusive, and that can really excite my senses. Just from reading a few posts, I see I have a lot to learn! I'm looking forward to learning more, and seeing what is out there! :-)
    You have certainly come to the right place, Degoody. Hope you enjoy being part of this great community.

Smile Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Good Afternoon everyone

I found this forum when it was recommended on another message board as a great resource.

I've never experimented much with fragrances, infact you could probably count on your fingers all the perfumes I've ever worn - or put it another way, am very loyal to what I like.

Now I thought I might try and learn more about what I like and what else is similar to it - so I'll most likely be reading the site rather than posting, but thought I'd say a proper Hello rather than just being an anonymous registered user.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Frillz View Post
    Good Afternoon everyone

I found this forum when it was recommended on another message board as a great resource.

I've never experimented much with fragrances, infact you could probably count on your fingers all the perfumes I've ever worn - or put it another way, am very loyal to what I like.

Now I thought I might try and learn more about what I like and what else is similar to it - so I'll most likely be reading the site rather than posting, but thought I'd say a proper Hello rather than just being an anonymous registered user.

Thanks for introducing yourself, Frillz.

Hope the learning curve is an enjoyable one.

Just a quick hello to everyone on basenotes. I would describe myself as keen but inexperienced. Looking forward to learning what's what.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi46 View Post
    Just a quick hello to everyone on basenotes. I would describe myself as keen but inexperienced. Looking forward to learning what's what.

Welcome Rossi46 - nice to have another Brit here. Enjoy the ride !.

Thanks Jon. My fragrance odyssey starts here!

HI all,

Been lurking on the site for a few days now. Found basenotes when I was researching a cologne that I recieved for xmas. I consider myself a noob to fragrances and exited to learn more about them.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gelo View Post
    HI all,

Been lurking on the site for a few days now. Found basenotes when I was researching a cologne that I recieved for xmas. I consider myself a noob to fragrances and exited to learn more about them.
    You won't find a better place to broaden your knowledge. Welcome Gelo !.

Hi, i´m new here,
    i´ve been lurking for a few days on that forum and decided to sign in. After watching a special movie my dad started to mix fragrances with essential oils. I was curious and gathered my own essential oils. But the mixtures were not so successful. For me, it is pretty difficult to make a fragrance only with essential oils. Especially with the information i got on that forum i found out that there may be another way: aromachemicals, and where to order them. I tried a few mixtures with chemicals and essential oils and for my the result is much better...
    Besides, i´m a fanatic for woody fragrances, especially cedar and Hinoki wood. I love insence or olibanum as well. And i have knack for all those light japanese fragrances.
    English is mot my mother - language, so be patient with me !

Just want to send out an all encompassing HELLO! and welcome to y'all. As a recent newbie and still gushing amateur I can relate. So welcome and stick around. Check out the stickied "self education" thread in this forum. if you find other resources or want stuff changed please let me know.
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Hi everyone.

A complete novice to the world of fragrances, (not that I havn't worn any before), but reading your reviews, likes and dislikes I'm sure will help me on my way to a good collection of smells.

Introduced to basenotes by my good friend Rossi46.

Thanks buddy.

Cool Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi everyone!

This is my first comment in basenotes, I hope to learn much from you.

My name is Antonio Medrano and I'm from Mexico.

Nice to meet you guys.

Greetings.

If this is the place for introductions, I'm in. Have been lurking for awhile but not posting. I was absolutely clueless about smells until I started selling Avon a few years ago and had to learn about them to be able to appropriately recommend and describe smells to customers. So I have a little bit of experience. I have been getting some samples from Luckyscent and Indiescent and ideally would like to be able to express myself with scents but not get so many that it takes up too much space in my life, if that makes sense.

Here's a sort of smells-bio...

Rose seems to smell really awful on me.
    Florals and citrus sometimes just sort of sit on top of my skin and smell like air freshener or something.

I am in love with Reglisse Noire and Jailia, already bought the Reglisse and saving up for the Jailia. They are very different from each other, Reglisse cool and licoricey, Jailia like sunshine, but both of them seem to settle in and smell very good on my skin and I love them.

Also wear Love Etc. from Body Shop often as my "safe" office smell. It is sweet and pretty, certainly not challenging or unique; gets compliments all around, it's nice.

My daughters, customers, and I all love Karmala, an avon scent that was discontinued. This is spicy, lasts a long time even on me, beautiful smell. We have a couple of bottles and some of the body lotion so will be able to enjoy it for awhile yet.

Best selling Avon scent for me is still Imari though Bond Girl is a close contender now.

Well, happy Wednesday and hi from Florida.

Welcome Scooter (nice to see you on here mate) and all the other newbies. Everyone on BN has been really helpful and friendly............it's a great place to learn. Enjoy!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Robin-in-FL!

Many of us enjoyed Avon when we were young; Avon understood the value of introducing young people to perfume. My godmother used to sell Avon and would give me those cute jars of cream sachet for my birthday. (Too bad they don't sell those any more!)

Basenotes Plus

Belated but hearty welcomes to Conni HD, Scooter, A.Medrano, and Robin-in-FL. Great to have you all here. Enjoy !.

Default New to perfumery, not to EO's/scents

Hello!

I'm a noob to the world of doing scents properly, but I've been working with EOs for fun and business (henna body art) for quite some time. I'll be posting momentarily on finding a from-scratch amber recipe, since I'm trying to reverse engineer an incense and I'm stumped. Glad to find this place - my nose is exhausted and even the cats smell funny tonight!

Hello everyone!

I am somewhat new to the site (lurking for a while now)
    I live in Vancouver B.C and have had a love for scents since I was young. I only recently in the last year have become much more into the high end colognes.

My favourite by far has got to be the creeds, with Royal Delight being my all time fave (so far) I tried on Aventus yesterday and have got to say I really liked it, got a compliment almost instantly!

Look forward to sharing and learning with you all.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sniff Tester View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am somewhat new to the site (lurking for a while now)
    I live in Vancouver B.C and have had a love for scents since I was young. I only recently in the last year have become much more into the high end colognes.

My favourite by far has got to be the creeds, with Royal Delight being my all time fave (so far) I tried on Aventus yesterday and have got to say I really liked it, got a compliment almost instantly!

Look forward to sharing and learning with you all.
    Welcome Sniff Tester. Creed tends to polarize opinion but is also my favourite house. Think you will find good company here. Enjoy !.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: New to perfumery, not to EO's/scents

Quote Originally Posted by ladytetsu View Post
    Hello!

I'm a noob to the world of doing scents properly, but I've been working with EOs for fun and business (henna body art) for quite some time. I'll be posting momentarily on finding a from-scratch amber recipe, since I'm trying to reverse engineer an incense and I'm stumped. Glad to find this place - my nose is exhausted and even the cats smell funny tonight!

Glad you found us too ladytetsu. Welcome !.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 2nd February 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Hello; another newcomer here. This place is quite impressive! Such an extensive and useful source of information about fragrances... love it.

So here's my deal:
    I had one very severe allergic reaction to a spray cologne from Elizabeth Arden (sunflower? sunshine?... something like that), and for years afterward I avoided all scented beauty products. I smelled like Ivory soap, and that was it.

Fortunately, it turns out I am not allergic to all perfumes. I tried on something at Origins and tolerated it well, so its seems time to give fragrances another chance.

I think I'm looking for a fresh, flowery fragrance with a hint of spice or musk...? Something feminine and sensual, but not too sugary. Smells I love: lilac, white musk, honeysuckle, lavender, grapefruit and gardenia.

I can't seem to find anything remotely affordable that smells like lilac. Maybe I just don't know where to look? Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction... it would be much appreciated.

~Amanda

Shouting out a big HELLO to all the newbies! Welcome to the fabulous playground, Basenotes!

shanda-manda Nothing wrong with Ivory Soap, but glad you found out you were not allergic. I see you are in Boston (city of my birth). There are a lot of places which carry the more esoteric brands to sniff around Copley Square (Neiman Marcus, Saks, Barney's) so try many things there- even though you might not buy. Also check out essence on Newbury Street for essential oils.

I'm a Lilac fan, but it is a tough note in perfumery- it can just sit on your skin and not play well with other notes. Some of my favorite Lilacs are Highland Lilac of Rochester, a very realistic soliflor under $50 (check their website) and Ineke's After My Own Heart which is like the whole lilac bush in a breeze. There's also been several Lilac threads in the time I've been here, so try using the search function to research, as well.

Sniff in good health and let us know what you try.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Bronze by Ellen Tracy

Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast