Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi Gen, welcome to BN

Nah the wardrobes are temporarily down now. Don't worry they'll be up soon. You'll be able to tell by the perfume bottle link to the right of your name on each of your posts.

Hello Jillsy,
    Thanks. I read at the top that some categories are out, makes sense now.

I just went through and made a list of my perfumes, (including those on order). Turns out that there are 12 bottles. It must be time for me to hold on hover mode for a while to see which ones I can't put down. Looks like "Enchanting" by Celine is going to be a no go for me, (and the little tester tube seemed so darn nice). I'm glad to find this site since there are options to send the perfume to someone who really is fond of it.

My new list is catelogued by year of introduction of perfumes. Since some are from my grandmother's era, my own era and now my neices, (current) era, I really like it that way.

Looking foward to the categories opening up too in order to read reviews.
    Gen
    p.s. editing to update that the count has gone up to 13 already but, I'm ready to hover and hold for now.
    Last edited by Gennaver; 25th March 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Hello,

I want to thank all of you for introducing me to a wonderfully, fascinating world. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and decided it was time to register and join in on the fun.

I am very new to the realm of fragrance. Iíve tiptoed in a bit from time to time over the years but never truly explored. I had no idea that there were so many wonderful as well as some not so wonderful scents to smell. Thankfully it is possible to find samples for so many. It will be great fun finding a few, or perhaps more than a few, that will become mine.

Thanks again for providing such a wealth of information.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingleaves View Post
    Hello,

I want to thank all of you for introducing me to a wonderfully, fascinating world. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and decided it was time to register and join in on the fun.

I am very new to the realm of fragrance. Iíve tiptoed in a bit from time to time over the years but never truly explored. I had no idea that there were so many wonderful as well as some not so wonderful scents to smell. Thankfully it is possible to find samples for so many. It will be great fun finding a few, or perhaps more than a few, that will become mine.

Thanks again for providing such a wealth of information.
    Welcome to more information about smells than any one person should ever need. You will find so many new smells. Enjoy yourself!

Default Is Cross Posting allowed?

Is it ok if I post some fragrance reviews on Basenotes that I have written and posted in MUA's fragrance review section? I have personally written every word of each review but I wanted to check first to see if cross posting is ok. I am fine to write on there that I have also posted the same review on MUA if that is preferred.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jemimagold; 2nd April 2008 at 05:44 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin View Post
    ... and welcome to Basenotes.

Often on the main discussion boards, there is a lot of talk about about obscure and expensive fragrances and this can be quite overwhelming for a newcomer to the world of fragrance.

The "Just Starting Out" forum is designed to help people who are new to fragrances. You shouldn't be afraid to ask a question, no matter how silly it seems. We aim to provide a friendly area where people can come and learn. It should be a relaxed place but also very informative.

One very important point is helping out where ever you can. We should all try and think back to our early days in fragrance and think of the people who helped us out along the way. The "Just Starting Out" gives you a perfect opportunity to pass some of this information on.

Bear in mind that you are not obligated to post here if you are new to fragrances, but it is sometimes useful to converse with members at a similar level.

We will however sometimes move a thread into, or out of of this board, if we feel it is better suited or more likely to receive a better response elsewhere.

We hope that the "Just Starting" forum will be a gentle introduction to the wonderful world of perfumes. We also hope that some day in the future you will come back to help other users as they start their journey.
    hi to everyone
    i want to learn about fragrance?am new to it
    have lot of interest and would need your guidance.
    Want to know that can essential oils be used as flavours ?flavours like saffron,synthetic musk?,agarwood
    how these can be used as same flavours can anyone give knowledge

Hello and welcome to basenotes, star1234

I am not sure I understand what you mean by flavours. Essential oils are a part of almost every fragrance (some have completely synthetic components). Essential oils are natural so synthetic musk would not be one. Musk, from what I have heard is completely synthetic now as a result of animal rights.

PM me or post in the forums if you have any further questions so that you receive more input from other points of view.

Hallo. 'Nuther newbie here, having read the NYT article. My technical knowledge of scent is close to zilch, but I have some quirky favorites that I'm looking forward to chatting about with others.

I don't have a signature scent-- wish I did, but there are too many faves!-- but my user name refers to Niki de Saint Phalle, which doesn't appear to have been reviewed (?! I must be wrong??). I lived in France when it was released, around 1980, I think.

Smell you later!

Welcome to basenotes. I'm curious to know your nationality. Are you French, German, or just a Northeasterner?

You'll learn a lot as long as you are active in reading and making an effort to understand. This particular section of the forum is designed specially for those who are at your knowledge of scent level. We will shape and mold you into a guru!

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks! Just your standard-issue East Coast gal, I'm afraid. I live in Boston but grew up in the NYC area (and lived on the Upper West Side for a while in the '80s) and spent a year or so in France.

I'm looking forward to learning from you lot. My tastes in scent are as eclectic as my tastes in most things, which is to say, very eclectic indeed. True for many of us, no? My go-to scent these days is Dior Addict.

Can't wait for the Wardrobe function to be back up; I assume the NYT reference sent the servers here into serious overdrive!
    Last edited by I_love_NikiDSP; 19th April 2008 at 12:53 AM.

Default good evening and thank you for your hospitality...

hello forum friends,

i can't say i am new to the world of fragrance and smells...i've loved perfume since i was 3 or 4 years old and since have done research on how we actually choose our mates based on their "smell/scent." anyway, i am writing because ii am new to the world of decants. there hare three scents that ii loved in the 70's (i'm not really that old...:->); one was inoui by shiseido and i've purchased two unopened miniatrures on e-bay for a fortune, and two decants from two sources for another small fortune, as well as loving amica green tea rose oil which if you've heard of it or have it let me know. point being, i have spent a fortune on scents that i loved back iin the day (the 70's) and i am a bit concerned that i won't love them anymore, but i have a feeling i will as i used to love replique (it's very sharp, but seductive) and recently purchased that and my s.o. is going wild and i had a stranger follow me around a department store to ask me what i was wearing so i think my tastes haven't changed. does anyone own inoui (by shiseido) and/or love it, and/or know of any scents that have the same ambience?

thanks for being here. what a fun forum to attend. i'm usually on a spinal injury forum and this is such a lovely and welcome change.

just deb
    --------------------------------------
    my dad had multiple unsuccessful businesses as i was growing up and one of them was as a perfumer - i will never forget standing by his side as he mixed his magic potions - attar of roses stands out in my mind. and i've never been a fan of overwhelming rose scents since.

have a good night!

just deb
    Last edited by ~*~just deb~*~; 21st April 2008 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi everyone.
    Looking forward to discovering the world of scents with you all.
    In my 20's I liked Paco Rabanne.
    In my 30''s it was Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    For awhile I was lost in the wilderness of of trendy stuff.
    As I prepare to enter my 50's I am looking forward to exploring all the world of scents has to offer.
    Nice meeting you all!

Welcome then Mr. Man. I am sure you are going to find plenty of things you want to wear in your 50's, but probably a whole lot of things you don't want to wear as well. I guess you need one to know the other so it will work itself out.

I still love Chanel pour Monieur. I'm far from my 50's. Scents are timeless in many cases so don't count anything out. I'm sure you'll find yourself liking a whole lot of scents you never expected to pick up off the tester shelf. We'll mold you until you forget what it is like to have no opinions on any smells. All of them will intrigue you in some way.

We'll find you a new scent, or scents, for each new year. I promise that.

Welcome again... have fun...
    Last edited by EnvYuS; 24th April 2008 at 08:55 AM.

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out.../ Intro with questions.

Hello to everyone from Corfu, Greece,

First I would like to say I'm so thrilled I found this place. I've been searching for 2 weeks to find a forum. I'm so happy now

Here's a bit about myself. I'm a native New Yorker and I reside in Corfu, Greece where I work as a Marketing Director for a yacht charter company ( I work from home b/c I'm a mother to two beautiful children)

About two months I wanted to experiment with perfume making to make a little extra income but I must admit I love this new idea of mine.
    As a beginner I have many questions I need to ask. , here I go:

I've used 2 alcohols one that's 70% proof and one that is 95% proof which is better and which one am I allowed to use so I can sell it? BTW( I would like to sell my perfume in the states) my sister lives there so she will do the marketing.
    Are there any permits or licenses needed to sell homemade perfume?
    What's the shelf life of homemade perfume ?
    I read somewhere that first you mix the oils (you let it sit for about 7days , then you place in the alcohol you let it sit for 10 days than you add the alcohol and you let it sit for month, Is this true?
    And if anyone is from New York besides online stores are there any stores where we can buy empty perfume bottles /supplies?
    I'm sorry if I bombarded with so many questions but I'm very limited to resources here THANK GOD for the INTERNET !!!

Thank you in Advance
    Maggie
    I will appreciate if you can answer my questions and provide me with any further information.

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out.../ Intro with questions.

Helloooooo Mago!!

I'm a native New Yorker as well. I'm out in Colorado as we speak, well... type. To be honest, I have no clue about hwo to create my own stuff. I know how I would like to create my own, personal scent but there is nothing in this brain that has any information on the subject. However, we do have an entire board designated to doing it yourself. Here is the link: http://community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15

I hope you can find your answers there. Be specific and be sure to ask all the questions you would like to know.

I'm happy to welcome you here and I hope you can find what you are looking for!!

Greetings!

I'm new here to the forums, but not to the site. I've been visiting here since early 2007, and posted only a few reviews on the frontpage (which back then, had to wait for approval for comments to go through).

Anyways, glad there's now a forum to search interesting topics.

:-)
    Last edited by LegendaryD; 11th May 2008 at 07:24 AM.

Glad to see you make the leap into our forum discussions LegendaryD. It'll make visiting basenotes much more fun I'm sure. I look forward to reading your input.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    Glad to see you make the leap into our forum discussions LegendaryD. It'll make visiting basenotes much more fun I'm sure. I look forward to reading your input.
    :-)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of fragrances. I started the, "obsession" back in early 2005. Haha. Just like the rest, I'm always trying to experience new, and exotic scents. Think this obsession has gone a bit too far now with my ever-growing collection of about 30+ fragrances. Its just lovely you know? Its easier to associate memorable moments via olfactory.

Anyways, much obliged!

Thank You Envyus,

I will check out the site right now.

Enjoy your day !!!

Mago

AAAA AaAa AaAa!!!
    This was Tarzan's cry.
    Another hello from Greece! Nice to meet you all! After discovering DE shaving on the Badger & Blade forum, I am very happy to find a place dedicated to fragrances. There are few things in life that I would like to have a great variety of, and one of them is perfumes. IMHO, the sense of smell is the most underestimated of the five. When I started paying attention to it, I noticed that it's a lot of fun to smell things and distinguish between different kinds of scents. So, after studying a lot of posts and reviews here, I have to thank you for " opening my nose " to a new world. See you around.

Cheers

Panos

Welcome to basenotes, have fun

This is a gret site!

Does anyone else get sick of their perfumes quickly? I have many bottles of perfume that I only used a little bit...and now I can't stand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    AAAA AaAa AaAa!!!
    This was Tarzan's cry.
    Another hello from Greece! Nice to meet you all! After discovering DE shaving on the Badger & Blade forum, I am very happy to find a place dedicated to fragrances. There are few things in life that I would like to have a great variety of, and one of them is perfumes. IMHO, the sense of smell is the most underestimated of the five. When I started paying attention to it, I noticed that it's a lot of fun to smell things and distinguish between different kinds of scents. So, after studying a lot of posts and reviews here, I have to thank you for " opening my nose " to a new world. See you around.

Cheers

Panos
    What a lovely introduction to yourself. I havn't seen Tarzan in years. I've been hearing of a few members who heard of come over the from the badger & blade forum so maybe you want to tell some more of the people who are interested in this kind of thing. I hope to see that studying you've done show through in your own posts and reviews. I'll see you around.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthat View Post
    This is a gret site!

Does anyone else get sick of their perfumes quickly? I have many bottles of perfume that I only used a little bit...and now I can't stand them.
    Hi, luvthat and welcome to basenotes!!

I have had a few that make me gag after a year of wearing them. Some have come back to me and I realize what I enjoyed about them in the first place, but some will never be the same. I'm sure everyone had had a similar experience. There are people who wear a scent so often that they don't even smell it anymore because they get so used to it.

I hope you are not talking about your entire collection because then you would have nothing to wear! If that is the case, or you just want to find something that you can stand the smell of for a while then you have found the right place. We'll get you set up and taken care of.

Enjoy

Thanks for the affirmation that I am not weird!

Does anyone have suggestions on a good "primer" for learning about appreciating perfumes? It would seem you wound need hands-on experience smelling the individual notes to be able to recognize them in perfumes. What is the best way to learn? I wish my computer came equipped with "smellivision"!

Thanks for any input! I live in a town of 50,000 in North Dakota....so my local resources are a bit limited.

I PMed you Luvthat. I hope it helps!!

Hello Envyus,

I checked out the community board very interesting threads, I also posted but no reply yet.
    Hey luvthat, nice to meet you here count your blessings that you live in Dakota you can always order things via internet. Here in Greece they don't even provide you with information because they think you might make your own company and take their business. So let's say I need something I have to get someone from the states to get it and wait till they come to Greece. (shipping is expensive) Have a great day !!!!

Maggie

Morning Star

Hello everyone,

I joined up about a week ago, and have been running around in the forums looking at various topics. This seems to be the best set of fragrance forums available on the web, both for its organization and for the sheer number of people on it. I wish I had found BN a few years ago when I started buying cologne.

I'm currently a software contractor, living in West Los Angeles. I moved into software design a little while ago after having obtained a PhD in chemical physics. So I actually spent a lot of time in school identifying and synthesizing a lot of the organic molecules that go into these fragrances we discuss.

There are a lot of times I wish I still had access to a gas chromatograph and an NMR to pull apart some of my colognes into component parts, just so that I could make my own fragrances and emphasize the accords I like most. I'm still planning on doing something like that at some point, but probably limited to just using analyses and patents acquired by other chemists still in the industry.

I'm currently reading the book The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr. I'm just as amazed by the marketing genius that goes into these fragrances as I am in the chemistry that creates them. It's incredible how the fragrance industry will try to hide the creative brains responsible for making these concoctions behind design houses and celebrity faces.

Welcome Astaroth Have fun, you're in the right place.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Welcome Astaroth Have fun, you're in the right place.
    I just noticed that Luca Turin himself pokes his head into this forum occasionally. That's fantastic. I just posted a technical question for him that has been gnawing at me for a while now. Hopefully he'll take a stab at it.

I am compelled to offer some of my experiences that may help out those who are just venturing into this hobby. I would like to advise everyone to stay true to yourselves and your desires. There are two different types of basenoters (at least I have found there to be): the first is the type who values their fragrance like a wine enthusiast and the second is your composition type (which I consider myself to be). The wine analogy has been used to death for the first type, but, it fits. Generally, those who value the development of individual notes are found to lean toward more complex fragrances and this is okay. If you desire to be the type who wants your fragrance to tell your nose a "story" then follow their advice in how to do so. But, if your a composition person from the opening, to the middle, and to the base notes then there is a good chance that your probably going to find a lot of the most hyped fragrance to be a little too eccentric or too much for your nose like I have come to find. So figuring out which type of fragrance fanatic you are will help you to choose the best scent for you and it may save you some time and money also. So don't try to psyche yourself into liking a scent because I have come to find that my first true impression generally is enough to tell if I am going to like a fragrance or not. In spite of the differences, we all have same goal of wanting to smell good and smell something that is rather pleasing to our nose.

Also, take your time just as you should do with any interest, otherwise, the substance of the hobby will start to wear off. Self-control will sustain and further it for as long as you desire to continue in it.

What a great site
    Do you have to be an experienced basenoter to write review/ comments on perfumes in the directory. I tried to and it just keeps telling me to log in... I am logged in!!
    Oh so glad i found this. never again will i need to wonder alone whether to go for Stella McCatneys Rose Absolute or Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue... I can just research the comments!
    marvellous

http://community.basenotes.net/faq.p...#faq_reviewhow

I would suggest logging out then back in. If not then try some of the other things that this links says to do. You should be able to write reviews.

Welcome to basenotes!

Welcome thespartacats Have fun!!
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    ... and welcome to Basenotes.

Often on the main discussion boards, there is a lot of talk about about obscure and expensive fragrances and this can be quite overwhelming for a newcomer to the world of fragrance.

The "Just Starting Out" forum is designed to help people who are new to fragrances. You shouldn't be afraid to ask a question, no matter how silly it seems. We aim to provide a friendly area where people can come and learn. It should be a relaxed place but also very informative.

One very important point is helping out where ever you can. We should all try and think back to our early days in fragrance and think of the people who helped us out along the way. The "Just Starting Out" gives you a perfect opportunity to pass some of this information on.

Bear in mind that you are not obligated to post here if you are new to fragrances, but it is sometimes useful to converse with members at a similar level.

We will however sometimes move a thread into, or out of of this board, if we feel it is better suited or more likely to receive a better response elsewhere.

We hope that the "Just Starting" forum will be a gentle introduction to the wonderful world of perfumes. We also hope that some day in the future you will come back to help other users as they start their journey.
    Hello

This is a fascinating board. I'm a newbie and did a lot of reading today (fragrance reviews). Some people did a great job!!
    For now I have some questions:
    It seems there are different kind of members. Which is the difference? What is for exemple a "supporting member" ?
    As I understood it is not possible to get an icon (a nince bottle) on my wardrobe yet.
    I would be very interested in knowing more about layering perfumes. In which forum should that be done?
    It would be very kind if someone could shed some light in the dark. Thank you so much.
    Marion

Hey guys,
    Well... I've been on this board for a while now (reading everything, never really posting though because I am not knowledgeable enough). I'm an 18 year old college student, and actually have quite a cologne collection now. I made a few blind buys based on reviews.... some being good others not so much haha. Regardless, I've learned of tonss of new products I never would have heard about, and get a pretty cool insight on everything. Thanks a lot guys... I'll be talking to you all soon ;]

Quote Originally Posted by Marion View Post
    Hello

This is a fascinating board. I'm a newbie and did a lot of reading today (fragrance reviews). Some people did a great job!!
    For now I have some questions:
    It seems there are different kind of members. Which is the difference? What is for exemple a "supporting member" ?
    As I understood it is not possible to get an icon (a nince bottle) on my wardrobe yet.
    I would be very interested in knowing more about layering perfumes. In which forum should that be done?
    It would be very kind if someone could shed some light in the dark. Thank you so much.
    Marion
    Hello Marion! Welcome to basenotes!
    The names for the members are as follows: New Member, Super Member, Junkie, Dependent, Supporting Member, Mod. They change with the number of posts, excluding supporting member and moderator status. To learn more about supporting member status read on http://community.basenotes.net/faq.p...ortingfeatures Mods are seperate because they help Grant out with keeping the boards clean and free of debris.

If you are interested in layering female fragrances then you would want to ask around in this board: http://community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21 . You'll find the women there very resourcefull. I would search for threads about that topic though. I've seen so many about layering techniques and bottles that work well together.

Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by muzicfreak2k3 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Well... I've been on this board for a while now (reading everything, never really posting though because I am not knowledgeable enough). I'm an 18 year old college student, and actually have quite a cologne collection now. I made a few blind buys based on reviews.... some being good others not so much haha. Regardless, I've learned of tonss of new products I never would have heard about, and get a pretty cool insight on everything. Thanks a lot guys... I'll be talking to you all soon ;]
    I'm glad to hear that you are taking advantage of your ability to read. You'll always find the best advice if you look around here for a while. Be careful with those blind buys. They'll kill your wallet. I hope that this is the start of you begining to be confident enough to start your own threads when you need to... I'll see you around.

I am delighted to have found this site, quite by accident. My love of perfume started as a child watching my mother dressed for an elegant night out, red hair teased in an updo and beautiful evening clothes trailing a cloud of Ma griffe. Yes, I am a complete amateur so forgive any naive writings or simplistic reviews...however I am a professional news journalist so perhaps I can at least spell and edit a few lines. Already I've learned so much about fragrancee by reading your reviews (wonderful, interesting and lovely). I knew I was a perfume junkie when I starting layering scents, albeit done blindly and without any professional knowledge. My tastes and the way my body reacts to perfumes has also changed dramatically as entered into my forties, and I now prefer a spicy, musky heavier scent which I would have shunned as a younger woman. I need different types of perfumes now and am seeking them, and your site has been a godsend. Oh...and I promise to look up aviter and sillage (sp?)! Now I have new words for Scrabble! Thanks to all of you...Willow

Hello Willow! Welcome to basenotes.

Sounds like you have nice memories of your childhood. I wihs I liked what my parents wore when they would go out to formal events. I actually got my mom into some lovely new stuff. It'll be great having someone who can write in a sophisticated way. ENJOY!

Good day everyone!

I've been registered here for over a year now and I guess it's about time I speak up. I really enjoy this forum and the information is priceless. Thanks to all who contribute to this learning process.

Smile Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

My grandmother wore Lily of the Valley. When she didn't have the fancy stuff (I'm not sure of the name or the manufacturer, it came from France) she used Miguet du Bois. On her, either one was - well, "heavenly" is the only way I can describe it. Fresh, light, airy, everything you would expect Lily of the Valley to smell like.

My first lesson in individual body chemistry occurred at an early age, when I put some on myself. It smelled like a sour washrag.

I remember my mother and aunts coming in to kiss me good-night on their way to this or that event, looking like princesses in their full-skirted gowns, enveloping me in hugs and clouds of tulle and organza, My Sin and Arpege.

My mother's "signature fragrance," however, the one she used every day in "layers" of soap, body lotion, talc, cologne, was Yardley's English Lavender. This was a long time ago, back when Yardley used to actually put some lavender in the product. A few years after her death, in a fit of nostalgia, I bought a bar of the soap, but instead of the clean, crisp memory I longed for, it smelled mostly of soap, with a barely perceptible hint of fragrance.

As a teenager I discovered that the perfumes that worked best on me were frequently Guerlain ones, and today I still use them, Shalimar, of course, Mitsouko, and my favorite, L'Heure Bleue, which few 16 year olds can carry off, but I was, and still am, somewhat strange.

It was around that time that I realized that Mysore sandalwood soap beat out even the costliest and most fashionable bars hands down, and that the essential oil worked great doing double duty as both fragrance and moisturizer for arms and legs, and I continued that practice for forty years, even long after I was fully aware that this was a barbaric practice, so I accept full responsibility for using up all the sandalwood in India and driving the price of that essential oil into the stratosphere.

My other big fragrance love was oud (agarswood), used only occasionally by my aunts, as even then it was costly, but for years I was able to get my oud on thanks to the Ajmal company, who produced a body lotion with enough of the scent to work just fine as a perfume, and a big $8 pump bottle of the stuff lasted for years.

Recently, when I noticed that I was down to my last big pump bottle, I could find it in only one store, in England, for $12, but they wanted $20 to ship it. A couple of others were offering Ajmal body lotion in their "NEW! light floral" scent. I am sure it is lovely, and I understand that the price of agarswood makes Mysore sandalwood look like canola oil, but my nose and I want our oud, and I don't know how we are going to get it. I don't even know how we are going to get our sandalwood.

In fact, all the essential oils and absolutes on which I had come to depend in my lifelong quest for Smelling Good for Less have gone through the roof. Jasmine, Bulgarian rose, even lavender and whatever it is they do at Liberty Naturals, my usual supplier, to get some kind of gardenia essence.

At least I still have my traditional summer fragrance, Vetiver, from the Hove company in New Orleans, and a small stash of pre-restriction (and accompanying fragrance reduction) Mysore sandalwood soap.

As a perfume barbarian, I am seldom taken with the popular, expensive perfumes one receives as gifts. I tend to use them only when I will be in the company of the loved one who so generouly presented them, and the rest of the time sort of cobble together whatever combination of my little stock of favorite essential oils (and Ajmal oud lotion) I am in the mood for. Sometimes I mix them with a small amount of no-name unscented cream or lotion or liquid soap, other times I dab them on straight.

I realize now that my habits have to change, even though my budget has not, and the frenzied googling brought on by the Fragrance Crisis of '08 has also made me aware that I am profoundly fragrance-ignorant, that I am a perfume barbarian, probably too old to be completely civilized, but possibly not too old to become even more aware of the immensity of my ignorance, and this looks like a good place to sit, listen and do that.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Quote Originally Posted by NyAshia View Post
    Good day everyone!

I've been registered here for over a year now and I guess it's about time I speak up. I really enjoy this forum and the information is priceless. Thanks to all who contribute to this learning process.
    Welcome to the forum
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Hi everyone, total newbie to this so please be patient if I seem like an idiot.
    Have loved fragrance forever. Trying to find a new "signature scent". Will try
    to keep you posted as I travel on my journey. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

THANKS!!

Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by justpj View Post
    Hi everyone, total newbie to this so please be patient if I seem like an idiot.
    Have loved fragrance forever. Trying to find a new "signature scent". Will try
    to keep you posted as I travel on my journey. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

THANKS!!
    Hello and welcom to basenotes!!!

I have a feeling (just a feeling) that you will forget all about finding that one scent that suits you because I'm sure, once you are done learning/receiving suggestions, you will have a wardrobe that is beyond what you ever thought it would be. I think that you will find so many that you will love that choosing just one to wear as your trademark ( your "signature") will be almost impossible to do.

I hope you have fun posting here and you find what you are looking for!!!

Can someone help a noob with a stupid question? I've been PMed that my wardrobe is not viewable by others, but when I check, the box that would hide it remains unchecked. How do I make my wardrobe info viewable to others? Thanks. ::sheepish::
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Hi everyone! Great forum, I can see I'll be spending a lot of time here! I'd classify myself as a total newbie, so I'm sure I'll have some screwy questions. Please bear with me...

I'm a newbie and glad to find a place to ask dumb questions. For years I had gone without fragrances because I found they would irritate my eyes, make me cough and I just could not find any I liked. I recently found Jo Malone products and I am so pleased. Pom Noir and 154 are my favorites. I'm enjoying searching for more.

But - I was amazed to find Jo Malone products are sealed. You cannot open them to fill an atomizer. Is this now common?

Any ideas for brands that would be good for my sensitivies are appreciated.

Hello I am from Dallas TX and glad to be here.

My story is a bit different in that I had a vision.

The vision was that of a large barrel of empty perfume bottles a large hand went down into the barrel and pulled out one trainglar shaped bottle with ripples in it.

Thereafter I went on a search to find out what it was and what it meant. It was Tresor which meant treasure and the bottle is symbolic for a woman in full bloom.

Here recently I was reading my bible and a scripture became rhema to me it was Neh 3:8b "and Hananiah, one of the perfume-makers"
    within the next couple of days my nose opened up and I have been on a mission every since. Going to sephora's or any frag counter is like going to a crackhouse.

Last purchase was D&G light blue.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by torchsong View Post
    Hi all,

I am what I would call a Semi-Newbie in the world of Fragrances. I have for years bought the over the dime store stuff because I was "afraid" to go into the upper scale stores because the people behind the fragrance counters, seem to look at me (Paranoia on my part?) as beneath them. I felt intimidated. I was relieved and very excited when Sephora and Ulta came along. I was finely able to sniff the perfumes that I had always wanted to smell without feeling intimidated. Along the way I ending up writing to a kind Gentleman by the Name of Luca Turin who kindly wrote me back giving me scent advice. I found out much later he is a "Legend" in the Fragrance field . But you couldn't tell by the way he wrote to me. At any rate at the age off 44 I find I am just now starting to enjoy finding new scents, and have even found some sites whom make knock off scents that smell even better then the real stuff (to me at least) I would like share some of these sites if I may. I also wanted to know if anyone else ever felt or feels the same way, about being intimidated, by the different department stores.. I feel it's really an hindrance to the manufactures of perfume when these people act in such a way . At any rate HI all!
    Cindy
    Ive had a fair share of upper class complex air from SAs. But ive since not bother anymore. I always dread the chanel counters where im from. if im treated with blatant disrespect, i usually just ask the the supervisor or the manager in charge for a satidfactory explanation for the lack of courtesy. works wonders. ive been a sales promoter b4 and ive always enjoyed serving. if they cant serve you with the least bit of making u feel comfortable, then they are obviously not suitable for the job, coz all promoters/SAs have to go thru some form of training prior. so dont feel intimidated at all, if anyone is ever rude, i strongly urge u to lodge a complain, coz that person's probably giving attitude to everyone else as well.

Wink Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi Basenoters! I just joined and I am very happy to be part of this community. I am considering trying my hand at perfuming. Any advice you could offer for starting up would be truly appreciated. Bless you all!

A great big thank you from Jenny Po.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by magicpotion View Post
    Hi Basenoters! I just joined and I am very happy to be part of this community. I am considering trying my hand at perfuming. Any advice you could offer for starting up would be truly appreciated. Bless you all!

A great big thank you from Jenny Po.

Ive been growing more and more intrigued by DIY perfuming, Its barely a mth since i joined BN and tho its left me almost penniless for the month, I have absolutely no regrets. Its not easy to find a community that brings so many cultures together with one similar obsession. I used to feel really left out coz i just didnt enjoy what many of my best mates do. Ive finally found a family of the warmest ppl around......

AromiErotici

This is my first post after reading the reviews and some of the forum threads for a few weeks. I've always enjoyed mens frags but never considered joining a site as a member until now.

SirSlarty's reviews prompted me more than most; seeing we have very similar taste in fragrances. I look forward to sharing info,reviews and learning on this board.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    This is my first post after reading the reviews and some of the forum threads for a few weeks. I've always enjoyed mens frags but never considered joining a site as a member until now.

SirSlarty's reviews prompted me more than most; seeing we have very similar taste in fragrances. I look forward to sharing info,reviews and learning on this board.
    Welcome AromiErotici!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Welcome AromiErotici!
    Thank you !!!

Hi folks, thank you for running this wonderful and informative site. I have been a frequent visitor of basenotes for years and today I decided to register as a member. MIllion thanks to you guys!

Welcome Eros. Error Have fun.

Hello everybody, I've discovered this community when searching for some reviews and I really like what you guys discuss here. Perfumes are one of my greatest "hobbies", obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here. And..oh well, I hate introducing myself, I'll have to skip this for now.

I'm new to this forum on this site even though I have been reading reviews on this site at least 4-5times a week...actually this website is set as my homepage so I always end up spending time on here...a lot of time...sometime too much but then again who is to blame...perfume/colognes are my favorite thing to use and give as gifts for all occasions.