Code of Conduct
Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1282
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Thanks

Welcome to you Fido! Enjoy your time here!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi everyone,

I've started visiting this forum since 2006 I believe and more frequently in the last 2 years. Only a few days a go I registered to become an active member
    Anyway, I now wanted to proper introduce myself to all of you...

Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

Hi & welcome, _Cristi_

Basenotes Plus

Welcome _Cristi_

Glad to have you on board

Welcome to you Cristi! Enjoy your time here on Basenotes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

After lurking here for a couple months I finally joined. After working at a place for nearly 30 years that didnt allow perfumes to be worn, I was laid off a couple years ago.. I quickly got a lot of scents of ebay and other discount places (think thrift stores and yard sales lol) mostly cheapies like avon, drug store, celeb stuff.. I quite like most of them but now I am trying to figure out what determines what I like & dislike about them so I can splurge on higher end brands. As I'm using Basenotes to cataloge my scents and search out others to try, I'm trying to contribute with reviews and adding missing scents. I'm excited to be here and so far having lots of fun & learning. Thanks for having this site available! - Linda from the hot California valley
    Last edited by MadKat; 12th June 2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: adding forgotten data

It's great to have you MadKat, welcome!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome MadKat

Welcome MadKat!

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Hello.
    Just joined, after lurking for a bit. I actually don't wear perfume much, most commercial perfumes make me very nauseated, whether I like them or not - it's a physical reaction, maybe an allergy to one or more common ingredients. I do like and sometimes wear Chanel Antaeus (I know, I'm gender confused). I also like Magie Noire by Lancome, but it's rather strong so I only wear it on occasional nights out. Very occasionally. My bottles is from... what, late 1990s, early 2000s maybe? Still oodles left!
    I've always loved using my nose though; maybe that's why I don't like dousing myself in fragrance, come to think of it, makes it harder to smell other things. I like cooking, and have always tended to sniff things on nature walks, enjoying and focusing on that sense fully as much as visual and other inputs. I've also enjoyed smelling the occasional essential oil, like rosemary and lavender, though I never used them much, not sure why.
    My sudden desire, and instant obsession, with mixing my own fragrances came as a bit of a surprise. I believe my boyfriend actually sparked it, having tried a few fragrances on his way home from a short business trip and realizing he misses wearing fragrances at least occasionally (on account of my getting intensely nauseated by what he used to wear when we met ... sorry ><, he never found something he liked quite enough since). I can't quite recall how we got to the "let's mix our own" thing, but the enthusiasm for the idea was mutual and immediate. So here I am! I've already collected a nice little starter package of sample-size absolutes and essential oils, many I was familiar with from the natural material, some not. Living "urban" now, I grew up very "rural" in a family that enjoys gardening, cooking, nature walks and all sorts of plant-related crafts like dyeing textiles with plants, fungi, etc, so I've been exposed/educated to quite a few Latin names LOL - My introduction to oakmoss for instance was as a natural, and very colorfast, dark amber dye my mom used/uses on wool... the scent actually lingers pleasantly in the garment for decades. Still a favorite note of mine, finding it in a bottle was like meeting an old friend. Still awaiting my perfumer's alcohol, which I finally found a source for (no Everclear in Massachusetts!), so I can start diluting and mixing. Or mixing and diluting. A bit of both probably. Basenotes was quite useful for finding trustworthy vendors, so thanks already! So far I'm going with natural sources only, because I have yet to meet one that makes me nauseated, so my working hypothesis is that some synthetic(s) is/are to blame in the commercial fragrances. More modern "fresh" fragrances are typically the worst. Vintage, as far as I have tried (which is not much), seem safe enough. An oceanic like Dior's Dune is the death of me.
    One thing that has surprised me is that I have not come across the use of professional/scientific precision pipettes to measure out ingredients. As a scientist, drops seem unworkably imprecise at least for experimenting with small batches (and knowing the proportions well enough to reproduce). I realize they are pricey equipment so that's probably why (I have access at work so lucky me). Then again, I wouldn't think of using a microgram scale and a pipette for measuring out cooking spices, so maybe my science nerd approach is quite silly!
    Let's see how long this obsession lasts, but knowing me, it may be a rather chronic condition. In any case, for now I look forward to "playing with my new toys" some more after my initial paper strip sniffing and note taking of the individual notes and a few gathered strip "combos". It will be fun to experience how mixing is different from this simple juxtaposition of the notes. First thing I will mix is a base of oakmoss, cedarwood, vetiver, and amber! (if I can coax the fossil amber to mix in alcohol, which apparently is not really doable... that would be too bad if I can't find and alcohol-soluble amber...). Some rose absolute will be thrown in there too ( I like the Egypt absolute from Eden Botanicals). Probably very very standard so far, but I care not. Whether anything good comes out of my "playing" shall have to be empirically determined!

Whoa... that was long winded. I promise most posts will be much briefer ;-)

Basenotes Plus

Hi & welcome, ProfessorBats

There's loads of info. on perfume making in our DIY section and there was a recent thread about scales.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Welcome to you ProfessorBats! Hope you can find and create something that you can live with and from which you can derive pleasure.

[QUOTE=lpp;3177479]Hi & welcome, ProfessorBats

There's loads of info. on perfume making in our DYI forum [quote removed b/c new members can't use links] and there was a recent thread about scales [link removed]

Thank you. Yes, I've lurked the DIY forums before joining, lots of good stuff :-) I did not know professional perfumery worked by w/w, that's interesting. Some of the ingredients look definitely too thick to pipette well (and the less heating the better for preserving these costly resources) so that makes sense, even before you get to the powders.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome ProfessorBats . Appreciate the introduction and the fascinating debut post. Delighted to have you with us here (the obsession will be chronic - rest assured ).

Hello I'm Aaricia and I'm a perfumista.

To be honnest, this is the 2nd time I register. First time, I can't explain why, I was banned after few days... The e-mail I got to explain only said "spam". I only posted 4 messages & they where not spam, so I don't understand why my first account was banned. I would like to understand to issue, because I don't want to be banned again : Can it be because I openned 5 or 6 internet sheets from basenotes simultaneous on my google chrome ?? I did it because I wanted to read the posts...

Welcome Aaricia! Glad to have you back. Hopefully you'll find out what caused that to happen.

Hello everyone,
    Just joined today and already I am learning alot. This seems like an awesome forum and I hope to one day contribute.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Welcome to you platano80! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome platano80

I just started out meditating. I've been reading a book by Lodro Rinzler, and I really want to make meditation a part of my life. I want to find myself and align myself. And then I want to help the world, as cliche as that sounds. Anyways, any pointers and tips would be greatly appreciated as I'm just starting out.

Welcome to you kimb! Enjoy your time on Basenotes.

Just joined after lurking for a while. Really appreciate the variety of posts on fragrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to you mlrevinit! Enjoy your time on Basenotes!
    Last edited by hednic; 20th July 2014 at 01:35 AM.

Basenotes Member
    200 Roosevelt Place Palisades Park, NJ 07650

Welcome!!!!

I finally registered after reading all of the great posts on this forum for the past 6 months or so. I have actually been into fragrances for a long time, but over the years slowly lost interest. The past few months I really got into it again after getting some really fine scents for my birthday. Then I started searching out fragrances for reviews and comments online...and landed here.
    I always search on this site first when I need info on newer and older colognes I didn't even know about. Anyhow, I am glad to be actually posting here now!!

Welcome to you 7dev! Hope you continue to enjoy your time here.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome aboard 7dev

Hi,

I visit Basenotes for many years because my love for perfumes. It began when I first smelled a vintage Arpege some 40 years ago.

Even before, smell was an important part of my “umwelt”: the smell of the blooming cherry trees in the spring, the smell of earth in an oak forest, that of the river bank in the summer, etc. are some of my strongest and vivid memories.

I was fortunate to work for many years in labs of chemical ecology and so, have exposure to literature and aroma chemicals. I also discovered that I am para-/hypo-/an-osmic to some important compounds and hyper-osmic to others. Although it became clear to me that I am in the position of a colorblind person in a gallery full of paintings, I continue to be interested in perfumery, read about perfumes, experiment (fool around) with perfumery raw materials, with a focus on fragrances classification, and lately even registered to the site.

I did not post until now for several reasons. I didn’t have enough firsthand experience to share, and most of the questions I had were already asked. Also a nasty dysgraphia combined with the fact that English is not my first language, didn’t help either. However, my obsessive-compulsive temper sometimes overcomes the barriers and I feel a strong drive to go into some discussions. So, please don’t take irregular posts as attempts of trolling.

arion

Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast