Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Welcome Lady M. and gdawg!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Hi guys....

Just joined the community and I'm looking forward to sharing lots of stuff with you guys..

Merkkleding Nederland

Blog Entries

HIYAGUYS!
    I'm a non computer literarati!! Need to get my avatar etc set up pleez help! luv ya xxxGav

Hi Gav, Welcome to Basenotes!

If you click on your username on the upper-right corner of the screen, you will be able to view your profile. Then if you click User CP next to Forum Rules you will see a whole bunch of options on your left hand side. From there, you can click Edit Avatar, click Use Custom Avatar and Upload!

hello every body

I was in the same kind of forum in France before and when i moved to florida a friend told me about this website.
    I'm really glad to be here, and even more delighted because it is going to be easier to find decants and exchange them here (it is extremely expensive to make exchange between france and the usa and sometimes they do not arrive at all)

Welcome j4ck Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Lady M. View Post
    Hello everybody, I've discovered this community when searching for some reviews and I really like what you guys discuss here. Perfumes are one of my greatest "hobbies", obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here. And..oh well, I hate introducing myself, I'll have to skip this for now.

Mmmm..another Scorpio. My lucky day

thks silverbullet

Blog Entries

Hi ChrisW!! Thank you for your response, still trying!! The finished deal will be worth a laugh or 2!!
    Bisous Gavroche xx

No problem, looks like you got it! If you have any more problems, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Mmmm..another Scorpio. My lucky day
    Yes, I'm a Scorpio, was it that obvious? lol
    Last edited by Lady M.; 30th September 2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Lady M. View Post
    Yes, I'm a Scorpio, was it that obvious? lol
    Your avatar gave it away

I know, I was just kidding.

i'm new to the site, but familiar with perfumes....always got in trouble for using up my mom and grandmothers perfumes.
    i notice that the term "sillage" is used a lot on posts.
    can anyone tell me what that means?

Quote Originally Posted by varvara View Post
    i'm new to the site, but familiar with perfumes....always got in trouble for using up my mom and grandmothers perfumes.
    i notice that the term "sillage" is used a lot on posts.
    can anyone tell me what that means?
    Welcome Vavara. Sillage is the projection of scent, or the trail it leaves behind, like the wake of a ship.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 8th October 2008 at 02:25 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Hello Everyone.
    I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for the wonderful fragrance education I have gotten from reading all your posts. I've lurked for the longest time reading everything .
    So hello all you great people !

Mysticknot
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Hello Everyone.
    I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for the wonderful fragrance education I have gotten from reading all your posts. I've lurked for the longest time reading everything .
    So hello all you great people !

Mysticknot
    Welcome mysticknot. Lurking is cool. But posting and sharing with us all, is even better! :wave:

Not sure how I've managed to miss this section .... welcome to all of you wonderful new people!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Welcome mysticknot. Lurking is cool. But posting and sharing with us all, is even better! :wave:

Thanks for the warm welcome ! Posting is cool . I have learnt so much here just from reading- I used to be a one signature fragrance person and now you guys have morphed me into a multiple fragrance touting woman. Sometimes, it 's L'heure Bleue on my chest and Ava Luxe Midnight Violet on my wrists - which is pretty good !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th October 2008 at 09:53 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Smile Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hello all. My best friend collects perfume bottles and some are so beautiful that I couldn't resist purchasing some for myself on my beloved e-bay. Then I remembered a perfume that was given to me by an aquaintance who was from the Philippines. It only had a few wonderful drops left in it. It was a small bottle and it came encased in a red velvet case that would bend around it and close with a snap. Being new in this endevor I can't describe what it smelled like except that it was a "warm, dark" odor. Not musk, I don't think, but cinnamony (is that a word?!). Thick and oily. I have no idea how old it was at the time. Anyway. Here I am. My new quest, and I'm having a blast on this site. I've enjoyed reading through the "newbie" posts, and, so, here is mine.
    Jill

Glad you found us, Jill! We need all the smell-hungry fellow sniffers we can find.

Off hand I don't know what the scent you mention might be, but just think of the fun it'll be to sniff all the other things as you go hunting for it. And "cinnamony" sure communicates a meaning to me. It's kinda fun to adapt words into different forms when it helps understand a smelling thought I think.

Welcome to the site and make sure you post your thoughts.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I am not brand, spanking new, but I don't know if I have posted to this thread or not. As soon as I got the nerve to post I started bouncing around all over the place, and posting to whatever caught my eye at the moment. So I think, on top of being all over the map, I never even really introduced myself to anyone. So, hello anyone and everyone -- I am Leesee, and I am very happy to have found Basenotes.

Welcome to Basenotes, Jill. We look forward to your second post.

Hm, not sure what that bottle could be. Maybe someone else would know, there are a ton of knowledgeable people here who are very friendly as well.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have posted my perfumes and I wondered if anyone would mind taking a look at them and tell me if I have any "stinkers" on there, or if I have found anything really cool. These are the items that I have purchased over the past month from e-bay. I enjoy reading everyones' opinions, plus it would give me an idea of the terminology as I sniff them and read the opinions. I do understand if only one or two are remarked on, as I think, in my humble opinion, that I have quite a few.
    Thanks all!
    Jill

@Leesee & Jill : Welcome to Basenotes!
    Last edited by Amit; 23rd October 2008 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    @Leesee & Jill : Welcome to Basenotes!
    Thank you JavaGreen!

Thank you javagreen!
    Jill

Welcome Leesee and Jill! We look forward to your contributions

Thank you Dimitri. I've been on this site almost non-stop since last night. This site is wonderful!
    Jill
    Last edited by Jill Merrell; 23rd October 2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: misspell

Quote Originally Posted by Jill Merrell View Post
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have posted my perfumes and I wondered if anyone would mind taking a look at them and tell me if I have any "stinkers" on there, or if I have found anything really cool. These are the items that I have purchased over the past month from e-bay. I enjoy reading everyones' opinions, plus it would give me an idea of the terminology as I sniff them and read the opinions. I do understand if only one or two are remarked on, as I think, in my humble opinion, that I have quite a few.
    Thanks all!
    Jill
    Welcome!

Have you added your collection to "My Wardrobe"? When you've done so, you can go to

http://community.basenotes.net/profi...do=editprofile

and set the detail "Show Wardrobe in Posts" to yes. And since you're a supporting member, you can show a personal bottle icon on your posts if you like. To do this, set it to "See Wardrobe" instead of yes, and go to the Settings button in the My Wardrobe page. Scroll to the bottom to find a combo box of many different perfume icons. It's a pretty cool feature.

Thank you dynendal for the cool and useful info! Navigating this site takes a little time because there is so much of it, I think. But well worth it.
    Happy Friday!
    Jill

Hello everybody!

I've been lurking around for some time now, reading reviews and community posts and building up some basic knowledge. I mean a few months ago I wasn't even aware there was something like "niche houses" (why did this just feel like a major outing??).

So I thought it would be time to say "hi" to all fellow fragrance lovers.:wave:

Greetings All!

Am hoping to educate myself about the world of fragrance and educate my nose as well! I'm not new to fragrances but have questions that I can't seem to find the answers to and after browsing around here have discovered that there is a lot that I don't know.

Locally there is one somewhat high end store that has a fragrance counter and I thought I was alone in being intimidated by the sales staff but post #12 by Torchsong (Cindy) assures me that that is not so. I have purchased fragrances on line, going by the descriptions offered and they turned out to not be what I was looking for.

One of my questions has to do with what I call a tarry smell from a new bottle of spray perfume. I purchased Giorgio's Aire and each time I have used it, as the fragrance evaporates the tarry odor becomes stronger until that's all I can smell. I have only encountered this with sprays (except when I've used too much sandalwood oil which smells tarry). I've had Aire for over a year now and the tarry smell seems to have diminished a little.

Looking forward to some enlightening discussions!

Welcome to basenotes Suzan!

You are not alone in being intimidated by SA's. They tend to be snooty in high end places for reasons I'm unaware of. I can't say that for all places because I know many that have very welcoming, friendly people. They don't always know everything you wish they did but they can be helpful.

When you are avoiding the fragrance counters and buying online based on reviews you are buying blind. I usually don't advocate that because it can be really risky, especially with your more expensive purchases. Samples are well worth it if you buy a large number of them to make shipping costs worth it.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a tarry smell so I'm going to let someone else help you with what's going on there. These are all in my opinion as well so don't take everything I say too seriously. There are other opinions and you'll find plenty here.

hallo basenotes

Hallo Threadra! Welcome to basenotes!

Hello, well as you can guess from the fact I am posting here, I am a bit of a perfume lover, though something of an amatuer compared to many posters no doubt.

I've been enjoying perfume since my first bottle of Chanel 19 as a teenager, but since I moved to London last year I've been enjoying buying some more unusual / niche fragrances.

I don't tend to be loyal to any one fragrance - seem to find my nose gets used to them and I can't smell any more.

Really enjoy finding new fragrances to love, but can find it a bit overwhelming choosing from all the different ones - especially as my tastes seem a little eclectic and I can get a bit intimidated by some of the shop assistants, or just find them a bit too busy talking to each other to take the time to talk to me - anyone else found the same in Liberty?

Anyway, hopefully reading here will give me some great ideas of new things to try. Though I guess I shouldn't buy too many more or they will start to go off before I finish them up!

I am new as well, although I'll admit to lurking here and on another site for a little over year

I have just really begun looking into niche fragances. I spent the day in San Francisco trying to sample the Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, Creed, and Frederic Malle lines. It was a very frustrating day. Barney's had the best sales help I'd found. Needless Markup had the worst. No one gives out samples but I was at least able to figure out which fragrances I want to skin test now.

Welcome, stellastar and Renngrrl! :wave:
    Sniff and let sniff.

Hiya all!

Nice to meet you!

I'm Irina and a beginning perfumista

I was more of an essential oils and natural perfume fan but because of allergies I try to broaden my horizon. A couple of months ago I began experimenting with making my own perfume, inspired by the creativity of BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab). It's a lot of fun and I'm also discovering the classics and designers lines. I also make my own bath & body stuff, but only as a hobby for my own use or to give as presents.

I also love to swap internationally, but I'll have to read more and carefully let all these gorgeous information sink in, before I get to swapping

1 question though: can anyone direct me to more information on how to build my wardrobe? Do I have to place a review first?

As I said still learning

Till soon!
    Irina

Hi Irina, Welcome to Basenotes!

Here is a link about basic wardrobe editing:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=212079

But basically, you go to the fragrance's page, and choose to add it to your wardrobe. I see you already have the icon for "show wardrobe in posts." You do not need to write a review.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Hi Irina, Welcome to Basenotes!

Here is a link about basic wardrobe editing:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=212079

But basically, you go to the fragrance's page, and choose to add it to your wardrobe. I see you already have the icon for "show wardrobe in posts." You do not need to write a review.

Have fun.
    Found it, Thank you so much!

Edit: all found now
    Last edited by Irina; 17th November 2008 at 02:05 PM.

Just wanted to say hi to all teh folk who make this site informative and a pleasure to be at any time. I assure you the wealth of information does not go unnoticed or unappreciated. I am new here but well read, you guys have given me lots of insight. I am basically now into Oudh based scents, once I found them I was hooked on Oudhs. I use Oudhs basically as a staple and have a hint of the Western Colognes on my body. Have a friend from work who willl be visiting Quatar for two weeks and am interested in Getting some genuine Middle Eastern perfumes. any new recommendations or recommendations on the whole weclomed. cheers.

Welcome Irina and Loveisintheair.
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thrse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amre, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

Welcome to Basenotes Irina and loveisintheair

Thank you both

Hi! basenoters! just want to say how lucky I am to found this website !! recently I was trying to research just one fragrance and then end up in this wonderful website which has tons of information, and I have been on it ever since. and I think this website is the reason why I am more and more into fragrance each day!! anyway, looking forward in sharing and discussing, and of course learning from all you frag guru !!

ps: sory for the bad english!
    Last edited by djobeat; 20th November 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Welcome djobeat Have fun. Heck, your English is better than mine
    Last edited by silverbullet; 20th November 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Hi everybody!

I have been reading you for a while and decided to join this awesome community!
    I'm sure this will be useful and funny!

Amarok

Thanks for the welcome guys, am on board this most beautiful experience.

Hi,

I am new to basenotes and need some help. I have a big collection of perfume which grew even bigger through the holidays. I want to sell some perfume bottles that have only been sprayed once (I didn't like them). Being that this is the just starting out thread, I figured someone would be able to help me out and direct me to the proper thread for selling perfumes. If anyone is interested in the perfumes, they are for women- Bill Blass by Bill Blass (no cap), Sung by Alfred Sung, and Bob Mackie by Bob Mackie (no cap). I applogize if this is in the wrong thread but I am new to basenotes and figured this was the place to start. Thank You :bounce:
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

Nevermind, I figured out what I wanted to do.
    www.rigosplace.com

...xXjEnNyXx...

====MY ADDICTION====

<3<3 PERFUME<3<3

Hi everybody!

I am new here, but I love perfumes many years.......

Welcome, BlueBell! You will love it here!!!

I am grateful to be a part of this community. Many thanks to Mario Justiniani, my screenwriting partner for turning me onto this site.

Basenoters are awesome.

FYI--I wear a lot of mens colognes as well as girlie girl perfumes. Im a lesbian whos all about impressing the ladies. I wish I could say I wasnt shallow and state its all about the artistic creation of perfumery. However I do draw the line at wearing anything on me that stinks. No matter how much attention I get.

Lovingly
    Liz

:wave:

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethSimmons View Post
    .....I wear a lot of mens colognes as well as girlie girl perfumes. Im a lesbian whos all about impressing the ladies. I wish I could say I wasnt shallow and state its all about the artistic creation of perfumery. However I do draw the line at wearing anything on me that stinks. No matter how much attention I get.
    Welcome to Basenotes, Liz! The folks here are the UNstinkiest -- and among the nicest and smartest -- on the planet. It can happen though, that one man's/woman's stink is another's sweet delight!

wrong post
    Last edited by Ms_Laine; 6th January 2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: deleted

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethSimmons View Post
    I am grateful to be a part of this community. Many thanks to Mario Justiniani, my screenwriting partner for turning me onto this site.
    What a great reference! Mario's posts are one of the reasons I started posting here, too.

Welcome to Basenotes, Liz! I think you're gonna have a good time.

Red face Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

wow!!! this is the most amazing "waste of time" that i have ever found on the internet... i have been a lover of fragrances for more than two thirds of my life, and this website is the "mecca" of all fragrance blogs... thank you so much for creating this beautiful masterpiece!

Quote Originally Posted by decillisjl View Post
    wow!!! this is the most amazing "waste of time" that i have ever found on the internet... i have been a lover of fragrances for more than two thirds of my life, and this website is the "mecca" of all fragrance blogs... thank you so much for creating this beautiful masterpiece!
    At first I saw amazing waste of time and I was confused and shocked.... I haven't really woken up yet. This truly is a wonderful place to spend your free time, especially when you have a passion for smellies.

Welcome to basenotes decillisjl! Lets see how this not so wasteful waste of time treats you.