Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

As an avid consumer, i enjoy reading about scents. While I have only 4-5 myself, perfume scented bath gels, and lotions are my usual gifts for family & friends. Two questions for those more knowledgeable than I:

1. I'm wearing Boucheron a lot now, I found it through this site after wearing Orange Tonic, Orange Cream Pop, and orange scented oils. I'd like to try other orange/tangerine/grapefruit scents, preferably ones that last. Any suggestions?

2. A close friend I buy scent for loves Victoria's Secret Pink; I'd like to know if there are any similar scents readily available?

Hi all, Im new and have amassed a small load of samples already.None really blew me away til last week when I recieved my Guerlain Spirituese Double Vanille...HOLD THE PHONES AND CANCEL XMAS!

anyways..hi im new :wave:

Welcome to basenotes Peachallie and 911opr!!!

Unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge of female scents to help you out with your similar scent hunt Peachallie... You should post your question in the woman's board and see if you get any luck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachallie View Post
    1. I'm wearing Boucheron a lot now, I found it through this site after wearing Orange Tonic, Orange Cream Pop, and orange scented oils. I'd like to try other orange/tangerine/grapefruit scents, preferably ones that last. Any suggestions?
    Maybe you can try Eau du Sud or Eau d'Hadrien, both by Annick Goutal. Boss Moves from Hugo Boss also rich in oranges or you might be in love to citronella notes on 212 Splash for men. Good luck!

As an avid consumer, i enjoy reading about scents. While I have only 4-5 myself, perfume scented bath gels, and lotions are my usual gifts for family & friends. Two questions for those more knowledgeable than I:

2. A close friend I buy scent for loves Victoria's Secret Pink; I'd like to know if there are any similar scents readily available?

Welcome Peachallie I'd suggest Beyond Paradise Blue by Estee Lauder or One O One for Women by Giorgio Valenti.

Good luck.

23 year old teacher-student from Sweden. I just registered here, and I hope to learn a lot about the world of fragrances by reading all the interesting posts from all those great perfumeexperts . My english isn't really that great, but the more I read, the more I learn.

I discovered the world of scents when I was a little girl, by the age of five or six, hiding in the bathroom spraying my mothers perfumes and just sniffing, sniffing, sniffing. Perfumes has always interested me, and now by the age of 23 my interest is getting more and more refined, and I'm learning so much from all perfumecommunities and websites! I'm really greatful that this world has opened its doors for me.

One thing that I really have to learn is to identify different scents. When I smell a perfume I always refer to a feeling, a colour, a song or something else, but I can't identify the different notes. I don't smell jasmine or pepper, I feel the sound of a violin or the beat of a big city. This is one thing I really want to learn, any one who has some advices where to start?

Thank you for this wonderful website!

Welcome, MahaKali! :wave: The idea of associating perfume with color & feeling has been an interesting topic -- you're not alone in experiencing perfume that way: Synethesia and Color Associations with Scent

I remember seeing a couple of note-learning links posted recently...

Happy sniffing!
    Last edited by tang; 30th January 2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Welcome to basenotes MahaKali. Enjoy the journey

Just wanted to say thanks for this board! I'm a 25-year-old art/design student in Los Angeles, and I officially tipped over the edge into perfume obsession just this past December. Apres la Mousson did the trick, of all random things. Something about the perfume-as-geographical-narrative got me, despite the melon that now drives me a little crazy. I know a lot of it is ad copy pap, but I love it all the same.

It's been one heck of a journey so far and I couldn't ask for a better road map into perfume obsession than BN and the BN community. Thanks again!

Arrow Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi!

I'm new here.
    I have read so many interesting things on this Website. Wanted to thank all the people that make this Forum so interesting.

I like scents that last a pretty long time, since I'm in the office the whole day.
    For now I like Ralph Lauren Polo-Paco Rabanne-Cool Water-Kouros-John Varvatos...
    I'm not exactly obsessed by fragrances, I just wanna smell good...

Great site!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Hi everyone!
    Another rookie with a life-long passion for scents signing up here. So far, I've mostly tried the classics, but feel like I'm at an awkward age (36) ; too young to wear them "properly", and too old to do it in a more ironic, retro way. Always on lookout for the holy grail of the perfect everyday perfume, I might add...

Thank you for the suggestion Silverbullet, I just got the Beyond Paradise Blue in today; I have been trying samples of Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi the last few days. The top notes are nice. Tomorrow begins the Beyond Paradise days.

I've recently been suring bassnotes and will admit, this site can be overwhelming.

I've been recording my own thoughts on scents I like for a year now and I'm not Chandler Burr. However, I enjoy what they do to me and how they make me feel. What I've learned in that year so men are quite passionate about their fragrance habits. Anyhow, I just love the extra dimension scent adds to life.

I'll continue to work my way around this site and am happy for this section here. Kudos to you guys.

Welcome to the forum fragrantmoments Did you mean basenotes instead of bassnotes?

Question Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hello folks, I've just registered this very day. I confess to surfing the reviews for quite a long time but haven't registered until now.

Being an old girl, I've quite a collection of perfumes, mainly Guerlain, and am still adding to it, hence checking basenotes reviews before buying.

Will work on my wardrobe and try to get up to speed with the rest of the site before I take the plunge.

Welcome to basenotes Skib!
    unico grande amore.

Welcome to the forum Shib

Smile Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

I love the orange in Vanilla, Bourbon and Mandarin of Sicily by Antica Farmacista. Deeper into the niche side, I like Mandarin Tout Simplement by L'Artisan. On the cheapie side try Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange...it's awesome for the price. Those are just a few off the top of my head, and I definitely recommend asking for recommendations on the women's board, OR doing a notes search in the directory. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Skib View Post
    Hello folks, I've just registered this very day. I confess to surfing the reviews for quite a long time but haven't registered until now.

Being an old girl, I've quite a collection of perfumes, mainly Guerlain, and am still adding to it, hence checking basenotes reviews before buying.

Will work on my wardrobe and try to get up to speed with the rest of the site before I take the plunge.
    Yes, it's fun to organize your wardrobe! One of my favorite pastimes! Welcome!

Hi Peachallie and welcome.

The word grapefruit appears in my inbox and i'm instantly reminded of one great fragrance.

Thanks Sudsy for introducing me to Guerlain Pamplemousse.

You should be able to try a little at any dept store that carries Guerlain.

Enjoy. Ed
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. Albert Einstein.

I ordered some samples of the Pamplemousse, thank you for the recommendation.

I ordered some samples of the Pamplemousse, thank you for the recommendation.
    Enjoy - I hope you love it as much as I do. All the best Ed
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. Albert Einstein.

Hello all, long time lurker Adonis here. Big fan of this site. Quite new to the scent scene, but I'm quickly realizing how expensive of a hobby this is . Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Hello all, long time lurker Adonis here. Big fan of this site. Quite new to the scent scene, but I'm quickly realizing how expensive of a hobby this is . Thanks.
    Welcome to basenotes adonis! Glad you could finally join up. Don't spend too much money...

Hello everyone!

I've always loved fragrances but never really bothered to make the time and effort to learn more about it. I've been visiting here since last year and I've learned so much from this site. It's also nice to know there are so many people everywhere that share something in common.

Thank you so much to the creators, moderators and all basenotes members of this wonderful site

Cheers

Jss

Welcome to the forum

Cool Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

I just joined yesterday after 8 months visiting the site. I hope to someday aquire part of the vast knowledge some of the members have.
    Plastykos

Quote Originally Posted by Plastykos View Post
    I just joined yesterday after 8 months visiting the site. I hope to someday aquire part of the vast knowledge some of the members have.
    Welcome to basenotes Plastykos!

Joining will definitely help you gain more knowledge because you'll be engaged in the conversations rather than just reading about them. It'll be nice to hear what a long-time lurker has to say.

Hi all, Will here. I just found the site recently and loving every single minute of it. I have learned alot thus far and still learning. I am very new to the fragrance world, but still own my share. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I look forward to my time here on basenotes..

I have two questions.

1. What is sillage?
    2. Could someone link me or tell me where the basenotes newsletter link is please. I saw the link but dont know where it was.

Thanks
    Last edited by Will1983; 22nd March 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will1983 View Post
    Hi all, Will here. I just found the site recently and loving every single minute of it. I have learned alot thus far and still learning. I am very new to the fragrance world, but still own my share. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I look forward to my time here on basenotes..

I have two questions.

1. What is sillage?
    2. Could someone link me or tell me where the basenotes newsletter link is please. I saw the link but dont know where it was.

Thanks
    Hello Will, Welcome #1 Sillage ( pronounced "see yazh") comes from the nautical term meaning the wake of a vessel that it leaves behind, or projection of the fragrance in terms of distance from others around you. Some fragrances "lay" close to the skin with hardly any sillage, or projection, others are "sillage monsters" which can trail you down Highway 101

#2 Somebody else has to help you with that one.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 22nd March 2009 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Hello Will, Welcome #1 Sillage ( pronounced "see yazh") comes from the nautical term meaning the wake of a vessel that it leaves behind, or projection of the fragrance in terms of distance from others around you. Some fragrances "lay" close to the skin with hardly any sillage, or projection, others are "sillage monsters" which can trail you down Highway 101

#2 Somebody else has to help you with that one.
    SB, thanks alot for the welcome and defining sillage for me. Much appreciated.

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a twenty year old student from England who has fast fallen into an obsession with perfumes over the last three months. I've been making my way through the classic Guerlains, collected a dozen or so decants from TPC, and have just broken my bank account for the month by ordering the perfume notes kit from The Perfumers Apprentice - can't wait for it to arrive (who needs food, anyway?)!

I've been reading Basenotes for a while, and decided it was time to join in .
    Last edited by Daifuku; 2nd April 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Welcome Daifuku!

I'm the same as you, only the guy version from the states. I need my food though. A new scent has not been added to my collection since two winters ago. I'm too poor...

I've always been interested in those kits, wishing I could order one, but I can't so you'll have to let us know what you think of it and what you learn from it. Don't spend too much money! You'll starve, but damnit you'll smell great doing it.

cheers

Hi, everyone! I recently discovered this site and have been eagerly reading reviews, looking up new brands, and making lists of things to try. Iíve been collecting perfume oils for the past two years but now I want to branch out and discover all kinds of new scents. Before my perfume oil obsession I used to wear Coco Mademoiselle, Dior Hypnotic Poison, and Fresh Index Galbanum Patchouli all the time. I hope that Basenotes can help me find fragrances that I will love just as much as these.

Dependent

Linds, welcome!

all thaat you probably will want and need to know will be found in this site. If not asking around after futile searches would definitely provide sources enjoy

I didn't even think to post here haha! I love this website already. I've stumbled on it before when I would look up colognes to see reviews. I was so baffled by the idea of "notes" and yet so interested. I was too young at the time to even know what a forum was. Lately I've been getting more and more into scents so I decided to join! I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay I hope to eventually refine what I like and don't like and why. I've already found about 5 reoccuring elements in cologne that I enjoy! It's like being a detective haha
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 5th June 2009 at 04:28 AM.

Welcome to Basenotes , this a perfect place I've been here almost 2 years and I've learned so much.
    You can also join Natural Perfumers/ Perfume Making on yahoo groups. You will definitely enjoy your stay here.

Maggie

Hi Everyone!

I just signed up recently. Before, I was reading up on the fragrance reviews mostly, and didn't even know about the board. I was originally a fanatic about Jo Malone and fragrance combining, etc. My collection was mostly of JM. Then, within the last year or so, I rediscovered fragrances. Because of that, I have since included other lines in my collection. My interests span from the oils, organic or natural fragrances, to some of the bestsellers at fragrance websites. I only wish my budget for this new passion were bigger.
    I've even drawn one of my closest friends into the wonderful world of fragrances. Although, she isn't an avid collector as I am...yet. It's great to be able to learn and share online, with others who understand what I am talking about.

Basenotes Plus

Big basenotes WELCOME to everyone! Shiba_inu & I have been pm'ing and it's good to see her post here. This is the place to start.
    Basenotes has a long tradition of sharing information. There's information here for everyone of all different levels of experience.
    Poke around, ask questions, use the search function for topics you're interested in & most of all have fun.

Although I am not new to this site, I am looking for floral perfume recommendations. I have always loved Chanel No 5, but most floral scents don't inspire me. I have tried Chamade off & on since the 60's...I was indifferent to it then as I am now. I own Le Temps D'Une Fete, and I'm liking that better as I continue to use it. I do like Anais Anais (I think it's the lily and suede effect) even though I did not care for it when it was first introduced. And I love Odalisque which to me is more of a floral chypre. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's spring (almost summer) and I really would like to find a nice little floral to wear. I have worn L'Heure Bleue and Insolence, but I find that I tire of them rather quickly. I'm guessing that I don't like "florientals", although I love orientals.

Hello! I have lurked as a non member for months and decided to join up tonight. I've become obsessed with perfume. I had held out for a long time, only using what I received as gifts, because of finances. But when my mother gave me all her Estee Lauder minis two years ago, and realized I had choices and deserved to smell however *I* wanted, I realized that I am truly a perfume addict. Here's the story of my first binge...

When I was four years old, my paternal grandmother died of lung cancer. Horrible. But before she fell ill, she always smelled so good to me. I have no idea what she wore, as all the bottles are gone now, but I know she had an Avon collectible french telephone filled with Moonwind perfume (perfume in the hand piece, bath gel in the phone base). I used to play with the phone and talk to imaginary people and this delighted her. Well, upon her death, I was given the telephone. I cherished it and upon stern warning from my mother never opened it to sniff the contents. Well, when I was six, my cousin and I got the bright idea to open the hand piece and "put on perfume like fancy ladies." Indeed, fancy ladies! We put on our playtime makeup and dress up clothes and came out of my bedroom thinking we were dressed to the nines. I think we must have smelled truly awful -- the handset was full and never used when we opened it and when I look at it now, it's just under half empty. After our parents laughter, we were sent straight to the bath.

Now I stop by TJ Maxx twice a week to see what new treasures I can find. I've also been known to dive into Nordstrom after work and make clandestine purchases of Guerlain, Chanel, Hermes and Bvlgari. I've finally admitted to myself who I really am: a budding perfumista. And now, especially, that I've learned about samples I'm never going back to my wearing-gifts-only days.

Hope to get to know you better!

Dependent

Luminous Phenomena, that was a very heart warming sharing you posted. We all have our stories of how we started or which scents had sentimental values. Its nice that you decided to join BN, at least now you can participate in discussions and share your views and knowledge, as well as learn. Hope to see more of you around in the boards. A huge Welcome. You will find your time here very enjoyable

Default Men's FAQ?.

n/m, posted in wrong thread!
    Last edited by gone down south; 24th June 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Hello everyone. I'm a 19 year old Student from New Zealand. I've been lurking around the Basenotes forums for almost a year now but have only just registered, I don't know how I resisted for so long. I visit the site at least 5 times a day. My first fragrance was was Cool Water, a gift from my sister. I got into fragrances about a year ago. It all started with a ride in an elevator with another guy. He smelled amazing and I kept thinking about the scent all day. I found Basenotes soon after and my collection has grown from 1 to 16 full bottles and many samples. I am quite jealous of all you other Basenoters who have access to a lot of niche fragrances. The range around here is very limited.

Thank you everyone for making these forums so awesome.

Default Hello, would love suggestions!

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a little while; I'm hunting for a new signature scent. I've worn Lancome's Aroma Tonic Energie for years as an everyday, don't-have-to-think-about-it fragrance. Fresh, happy, not heavy, never a problem. It could never give me a headache. I go to other, more interesting things on the rare occasion that I dress up and want to smell fancy.

Well, of course Lancome discontinued it a while back (grrrr). I've been hoarding, but have to accept that it's gone and move on.

I loved Ma Griffe as a child, but not so much in the current formulation. I like citrus, aldehydes, and some florals that are not too sweet or heavy. Don't love rose perfumes. Don't love spicy orientals.

There are tons of perfumes that smell wonderful, but are not the everyday me. For everyday, I don't want a big statement; I don't want something that wears me. I work with lots of others in close quarters; I'm married and have a five-year-old; most of the time it's not all about me! (Now, on a date with my husband, that's a different story.)

I've met other scents in the world that seemed as light, friendly and everyday, but they were never formal perfumes--more the scents of lotions, drugstore products, hotel soaps, etc. I never noted what they were, and of course they weren't formulated to last and have much presence. I also always loved the scent (not the soap smell) of Sweetheart Soap, if anyone's old enought to remember it!

Whenever I mention the Aroma Tonic to store clerks, they immediately want to get me to Bvlgari's Eau de The Vert, but that is not it.

Thanks to lurking and reading here, I'm considering Un Jardin sur le Nil, and possibly Versense--I've been able to sniff them locally. I like Petite Cherie, Light Blue, and the new Kenzo Green Tea, but they aren't quite it. I'm hoping to find testers of Vert Vert Mitsuoko, and Eclat de Arpege, but only from reading about them.

Do these thoughts bring anything to mind? I'd love to get everyone's suggestions on what else to go and sniff!

Thanks,

EllenWF

Hey just signed up, just wanted to say hi to everyone

Blog Entries

Hi Nub! Welcome to Basenotes!

EllenWF, I sent you a Private Message (please look for Notifications at the top right corner of this page, under "Welcome, EllenWF"). Hope to see you elsewhere on the boards soon!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Hello from berlin. Mandarinchen = Tangerine is new here.

My english is not so good (i know), but i can read all. I hope so!
    Kind regards.
    http://www.aromatisches-blog.de
    Here`s something for the tip of your nose!

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi everyone!
    I’m a newbie here, although this is not my first post, and I’ve already posted scents’ recommendations (I know, I know, my fault)… I realized I should pay a visit here before it’s too late! I’ve been visiting this amazing site since November 2007, and only just recently I joined. I always loved fragrances, but I thought it was just me and that I should keep it in control, buying only when I needed (silly, isn’t it?). Then came internet and my first visit to this site, and since then my collection has grown to 32 bottles. Now I need some guidance in my (almost) incontrollable online blind buying.
    See you around in the forums!!!
    Last edited by GodISmellGood; 16th July 2009 at 06:42 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome Mandarinchen and GodISmellGood!

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hey everyone,
    After lurking for a few months finally decided to sign up and join the party

I started buying fragrances two years ago, but I haven't been on it for a while, so right now I'm kind of drying out.
    My collection now consists of 8 fragrances but I still feel like im very new to it all, I can't really distinguish the different ingredients, but my love for fragrances got me really wanting to get to know more about it all.
    My favourite fragrance at the moment would be GIT from Creed, and something I would be really interesting would be buying a 1L from it and splitting it with several people on this board (I just found out that is also done on this board aswell )

Hope to see everyone around!

hello all, i've been enjoying basenotes for a while and just started writing some reviews, never thought to check the forum! what a rich resource, thanks everyone!

Hello. I just joined the community a couple of days ago and wanted to introduce myself. I love perfumes - and want to learn more about them.
    Last edited by Mazenderan; 3rd August 2009 at 03:43 PM.

Hi everyone! I'm new here, although I'm not really a freshman when it comes to perfumes. I registered today and I hope my english will be good enough to take part in the discussion! :wave:

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie125 View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new here, although I'm not really a freshman when it comes to perfumes. I registered today and I hope my english will be good enough to take part in the discussion! :wave:
    Welcome Aggie125, I have already noticed your thoughtful inputs on the boards and I am glad that you are on basenotes! Do stick around and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Welcome Aggie125, I have already noticed your thoughtful inputs on the boards and I am glad that you are on basenotes! Do stick around and enjoy
    Thanks!

my shaving soap acquisition disorder, shaving cream acquisition disorder and aftershave acquisition disorder has now drifted over to a cologne acquisition disorder ... its only natural that I found myself over here to feed my latest addiction.

I'm enjoying my stay and even with all my other disorders, I have never smelt better that most recently!

Basenotes Institution

Hello everyone new whom I have not said 'welcome' to, yet ! Hop on board for a fragrant ride and WELCOME!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

hi everyone, I'm kinda new here and also kinda new in the perfume thing but learning fast. I tend to prefer unusual or rare scents, and i only have Altamir and Bulgari Aqua Marine (which i am not that happy with, but so far its okay to be used in the office)

i am hoping to own a bottle of Guerlain but thanks to the limited range here and exorbitant prices, only Heritage is available. Hope to get to know everyone!

Good evening to all!

Big ups to all the Basenoters! This site has been very helpful as well as detrimental to my wallet.

It had been years since I last purchased a bottle of fragrance. In fact the last time I purchased a bottle was when Calvin Klein had just released Contradiction. For reasons still unclear to me, I stopped purchasing any fragrance at all.

Then, for Christmas my sister gifted me a bottle of The One from Dolce & Gabbana but I was still not too serious about it. Not that I didn't like it I just wasn't moved to exploration.

One day while shopping with said sister I came across the fragrance counter at a department store. There was something there that caught my eye. A bottle of Eternity. I used to wear that all the time, I remembered just how many compliments I used to get from wearing it. So I ask the SA for the price. Really? Over 60 American greenbacks for that?

As soon as I got home I searched the 'net for an online perfume purveyor that could help me with a discounted bottle of Eternity and successfully acquired a bottle for less then what I used to pay when it was first released.

This was only late July and along with Eternity I also purchased Bijan for men after reading a review at the NST blog. Sadly the Bijan turns bitter on my skin. But then it happened... I have been smitten by the fragrance bug.

You see, along with Bijan and Eternity I also bought a sample of Prada Amber. Two weeks later, I bought the 3.4oz refillable and just love it. Then I purchased Prada's Infusion D'Homme. Followed by a 1.7oz bottle of Amber since the refillable doesn't travel well and I use it for work after showering at the gym. That same day I also bought Subtl by Ferragamo which smelled better on the paper than on my skin. Oh well, it makes a nice gift. This was followed by Terre D'Hermes.

Then, just this past Saturday (Sept. 5) I did the very thing I should not have done. I walked into the Scent Bar in West LA. I walked out with a bottle of Dark Angel by Mark Buxton, samples of Nuit de Cellophane(Serge Lutens), Giulietta(Tocca), Fiore D'Ambra(Profumum) and arms covered in Fiore D'Ambra, Bois 1920 Extreme 1920, Attar Homage and Ambre Sultan.

My list of wanted frags is getting ever longer and more expensive. On the short list is:

Green Irish Tweed

Nuit de Cellophane

Giulietta

Fiore D"Ambra

and am looking for a sample of Creed's MI