Code of Conduct
Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 1810
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Clyde Archibald III View Post
    Hello, I've been reading BN for a weeks now which spurred me on to start a new hobby in scents.

Cheers!
    Welcome to you Sir Clyde Archibald III ! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hello, I've been reading BN for a weeks now which spurred me on to start a new hobby in scents.

Cheers!
    Glad to have ya!

Cheers mate!
    Currently wearing: Kalan by Parfums de Marly

A quick shout out to Zealot Crusader whose many insightful reviews piqued my interest enough to start delving into scents outside my comfort zone of Joop and YSL L'Homme. Kudos!
    Welcome! I see you are in the Midwest. I thought that I'd draw your attention to a Basenotes meetup that is happening in Chicago in May. We've got a good sized group together who will be visiting several different retailers on a sampling spree. Anyone from Basenotes is welcome to participate if you'd like to get involved. You can read about it here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/461...hicago-Meet-Up
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Thank you JPB. Chicago is a bit far from me and I have an annual weekend long convention I attend the prior convention , so I'm unlikely to attend.

I appreciate the gracious invitation though.

Im new to the forum but ive been wearing fragrances for 20 years now and have a decent collection going. Been reading basenotes for a long time and finally decided to join. I just like seeing what others like and getting information on scents im interested in.

Im on alot of the wet shaving forums as thefat98. I see some familiar names on here.

Welcome to you Painterguy! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you Painterguy! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Painterguy View Post
    Im new to the forum but ive been wearing fragrances for 20 years now and have a decent collection going. Been reading basenotes for a long time and finally decided to join. I just like seeing what others like and getting information on scents im interested in.

Im on alot of the wet shaving forums as thefat98. I see some familiar names on here.
    Welcome Painterguy! Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Painterguy View Post

Welcome aboard

Hi all, just signed up today. Going to write a long intro, more for my own enjoyment. Cliffs: Got into scents through my father as a kid, re-found my passion recently in my 30's after getting into DE shaving, will have a few question to ask....

One of my more fond memories of my late father was him always smelling great. It was his 'thing' and he would be gifted bottles and bottles every year. I would go to his house and he'd give me a bottle each time, so I was a good smelling kid.

My interest in having a collection never took off in my teens and 20's, but I did always like to smell nice, and so I would have a mainstay scent for years at a time. These were, in order, Joop Homme, Paul Smith Story, Cool Water, and then in 2015 my Polish barber introduced me to Przemysławka, a citrus and herby scent, which I used for that year. Once my bottle of that finished, and I was about to open one of the 3 unopened bottles of Cool Water I had from gifts, I decided I was done with the many years of citrusy, light, unisex scents. I wanted to smell like a man, just like my father.

I want to my local Boots here in the UK and went to the fragrance section, but as I was a bit broke at the time it was all too pricey. I remembered that there was always some cheap aftershaves in these stores and went to the mens grooming section. There I found the mainstays - Tabac, Jovan Musk, Brut and Old Spice. They were still all a bit pricey, but I saw the Boots own brand 'Freshwood' aftershave, 100ml for just Ł1.99. One sniff and YES, this is what I was looking for. It was harsh and woody and definitely a scent (or type of scent) I remember my father wearing, very manly. I bought 2 bottles, amazed at how cheap it was.

After reading up a bit on it online, I saw that a lot of the UK wet shavers liked it too (PaulHFilms, Kevy Shaves etc...), and saw other old scents in their videos. This started an obsession with cheap drugstore wet shaving. I started buying all the cheap aftershaves, my favourites being Woodspice Burgundy from Marks and Spencer, Denim, Tabac and also Aqua Velva I got imported from the US.

I really enjoyed all these scents but one thing annoyed me, none of them lasted very long. This is when I began to learn more about the differences between aftershaves, EdT, EdP etc...and learn terms like longevity and silage.

I started looking at sites like this and fragrantica and was reminded of some amazing brands from my childhood. So, I started ordering lots of samples.

The first I received was probably the one I remembered most vividly. Drakkar Noir. One quick spray and oh my god, a flood of memories. I was in the office and genuinely welled up. Funny how smells can do that. 100ml ordered immediately and it is still, after all these years, probably my favourite. The others I have now purchased are: Quorom (my second favourite), Sung Homme and Paco Rabane PH. I am awaiting a few more samples now before I decide on what to get next and am excited on what is coming, most notably Azzaro PH, which based on what I've read sounds like another winner for me.

Where will it stop? To be honest, probably just a few more. I have zero interest in high end fragrances, its just not what I'm about. I am in full retro 80's/90's mode these days, paying massive homage to my father. I am rocking the silk shirts (which it seems are this years trend, which is a little annoying!) and have been in love with the whole aesthetic/vaporwave movement of the last few years (watch this and throw on some Drakkar Noir and tell me you've not been hit with a massive wave of nostalgia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZUfiW3W1KY !!).

If you have read this then thank you. I've got a few things to ask and will do so over the coming weeks.

Cheers!

Wow, GREAT post Battlestations! A hearty welcome to You!

Quote Originally Posted by Battlestations View Post
    If you have read this then thank you. I've got a few things to ask and will do so over the coming weeks.

Cheers!
    Welcome to you Battlestations! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Battlestations View Post
    Hi all, just signed up today. .....

Where will it stop?......

To be honest, probably just a few more.....

Hahaha. You've just absolutely made my day/week/life with these comments.

Welcome to the merry-go-round. It smells lovely in here.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Hi , newbie here.
    I'm so glad I found Basenotes, I want to experiment with making my own perfumes
    using some essential oils, with vanillin.
    I'm kinda lost and have a question, and hope someone could help.
    as I read this thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/400...)-and-Isolates
    I was wondering if I could use Vanillin powder mixed with Perfumers alcohol? ( I guess I'll make an extract first.)
    I'm thinking of using Vanillin powder with the formula below. Please let me know your thoughts - thank you
    I copied the info below to my notepad form the link above.

By percentage of formula, I mean that if for example the perfume is at 20% strength (20% is fragrance concentrate and the other 80% is alcohol) then 10% of formula would be 10% of the concentrate, but only 2% of the finished product.
    "Neroli 25% 46
    Blood Orange 25% 46
    Ethyl vanillin 10% 8A
    A quick and straightforward process like the following would be tremendous:
    Step 1) Take 0.99 oz. Perfumer's Alcohol (for alcohol based solution) or 0.99 oz.
    Step 2) Dissolve 0.01 oz. of vanillin crystals into the base (as noted above)
    Step 3) Done.
    Step 4) When creating new blends of essential / absolute oils, add drops of new vanilla solution until desired aroma is achieved.
    Step 5) When desired aroma is achieved, mix 20% of your fragrance concentration with 80% alcohol or carrier oil and voila.
    Your procedure for making your working 1% solution is fine, though the sitting step is unnecessary. Once fully dissolved, no particles visible, it's ready to use.

I would add in a process of diluting essential oils to 20% to have solutions to work with. You can do a lot more work with a given amount of essential oils when doing this than when working with them ""straight."""

Welcome Pscho! Sorry I can't help you with your question.

Interesting. I can only recommend some quality oils here: https://oilscenter.com/oils if you're interested in making something by your own. They've got a lot of flavors, so I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

Welcome to you PSCHO! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!

Hi guys. Am Alex am new here. Been following basenotes for a while now and I must say I appreciate all your comments. But I have a few questions to ask.
    When creating a fragrance how do I formulate accords to make a perfume. And I do I also add other aroma chemicals and synthetics to the perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexzi View Post
    Hi guys. Am Alex am new here. Been following basenotes for a while now and I must say I appreciate all your comments. But I have a few questions to ask.
    When creating a fragrance how do I formulate accords to make a perfume. And I do I also add other aroma chemicals and synthetics to the perfume.
    Hi Alex. Welcome. You'd be better off posting your question in the Fragrance DIY section of the forum. Good luck!
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

Welcome to you Alex! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!

Freed from BN Institution

Welcome aboard Alex
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Hi guys. Am a newbie. Nice to meet y'all please I would like to ask a few questions. Firstly when making a perfume we can have more than one accord in the fragrance say fruity, fresh, citrus, balsamic and woody accords all in one perfume? Secondly if am adding aroma chemical will it be in the fragrance concentrate. For e.g my eo is 20% will my aroma chemical be part of the 20% or its just eoils

Hi guys. Am a newbie. Nice to meet y'all please I would like to ask a few questions. Firstly when making a perfume we can have more than one accord in the fragrance say fruity, fresh, citrus, balsamic and woody accords all in one perfume? Secondly if am adding aroma chemical will it be in the fragrance concentrate. For e.g my eo is 20% will my aroma chemical be part of the 20% or its just eoils
    As mentioned above, you should re-post this in the DIY Forum where experienced perfumers can better address your question.

Hi!
    My name is Chris and I've been always a big fan of perfumes, however after reading Basenotes I know I'm a newbie
    Great to meet you folks!

Welcome to you Chris85! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    Hi!
    My name is Chris and I've been always a big fan of perfumes, however after reading Basenotes I know I'm a newbie
    Great to meet you folks!
    Welcome aboard, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    Hi!
    Great to meet you folks!
    Cheers and welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Feeling Great To Be Apart Of This Great Community. Cheers

Welcome to you Subi! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Subi View Post
    Feeling Great To Be Apart Of This Great Community. Cheers
    Welcome Subi.
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 LastLast