Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hello all.. I'm a new member to Basenotes. I luv perfume, fragrances and flavors. There is so much information on this website for me to read, I will need to camp out for a weekend on my couch with my laptop and search away.

The world of fragrance is a delight for the soul....

Quote Originally Posted by luvs_perfume View Post
    Hello all.. I'm a new member to Basenotes. I luv perfume, fragrances and flavors. There is so much information on this website for me to read, I will need to camp out for a weekend on my couch with my laptop and search away.

The world of fragrance is a delight for the soul....
    Ah, it is a delight indeed.

Welcome to basenotes! Glad to see you have found us. You'll certainly learn a ton here, I just don't think a weekend is long enough!

Welcome... Enjoy!

Hi all!

In my 30's I took an interest in wine...

In my early 40's I took an interest in dancing...

I've left it 'till I'm nearly 50 before taking a more serious interest in how I smell...

Look out for tons of questions from me, oh, and Thanks In Advance!

Just a quick question - generally how long do fragrances last for? I bought a little bottle of Terre d'Hermes, but I don't really see myself using it a whole lot just yet as I feel it's a little mature for me (i'm only 20). I don't wanna just leave it in a wardrobe and have it "going off" though.
    Last edited by Smeghead; 17th October 2009 at 06:02 PM.

Hello everyone! I'm from Barcelona, and I've always been into fragrances.

The main problem I have is I can't decide when I feel like buying myself a fragrance!!

Thank you for letting my aboard!!! Let me explore the oceans and the lands of fragrances with you all! (I have a lot to learn)

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Just a quick question - generally how long do fragrances last for? I bought a little bottle of Terre d'Hermes, but I don't really see myself using it a whole lot just yet as I feel it's a little mature for me (i'm only 20). I don't wanna just leave it in a wardrobe and have it "going off" though.
    Your bottle will last as long as you keep it in decent conditions. We have some members who own bottles that are decades old. Keep the bottle out of the sun and away from your radiator or heating vent and you'll be fine storing it for a long time. There is no expiration date, so it's up to you.

One extra thing to think about. If it is a mini, it is most likely a splash bottle, so you'll want to use it a bit faster being that it gets more exposure to oxygen. The contact with your skin will also blend your oils and skin cells with the juice in the bottle. Minis are for testing and decoration. No need to hold on to it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post
    Hi all!

In my 30's I took an interest in wine...

In my early 40's I took an interest in dancing...

I've left it 'till I'm nearly 50 before taking a more serious interest in how I smell...

Look out for tons of questions from me, oh, and Thanks In Advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matti View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm from Barcelona, and I've always been into fragrances.

The main problem I have is I can't decide when I feel like buying myself a fragrance!!

Thank you for letting my aboard!!! Let me explore the oceans and the lands of fragrances with you all! (I have a lot to learn)

Welcome to the both of you. I see you've added a few posts to your count. I hope you are enjoying everything here. Keep posting your questions and reading up!!

hi...everyone...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by isaye99 View Post
    hi...everyone...
    Welcome isaye99. Nice to have you on board.

I joined recently(but have been reading for a while) but only just realized this thread was here. I'm astounded by the amount of knowledge on this forum! I'm in the suburban Detroit, Michigan area.

Is there a thread that talks about places to buy online? There are so many sites and it's hard to tell how legit they are. I'm especially interested in knowing what the safest places are to buy Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by dieudonnee View Post
    I joined recently(but have been reading for a while) but only just realized this thread was here. I'm astounded by the amount of knowledge on this forum! I'm in the suburban Detroit, Michigan area.

Is there a thread that talks about places to buy online? There are so many sites and it's hard to tell how legit they are. I'm especially interested in knowing what the safest places are to buy Creed.

http://community.basenotes.net/forum...c&daysprune=-1

Use that link and you'll find a lot of threads if you scroll down. If you only see a few then you'll need to change how far back you are looking to allow older threads to show up. There are a bunch of reviews of online shopping sources.

I wouldn't know about online buying when it comes to Creeds, but Nieman Marcus has a great creed counter.

^Thanks.

I was just at a Neiman Marcus yesterday checking out the Creeds! Looking to take the plunge on one before the end of the year.

whats good fella's....

just bought some killian back to black & cruel intentions and realized how much i like smelling good...

so i decided to join a forum lol

now that im seeing people pretty much build cologne collections... i might be up next for that

Quote Originally Posted by walk with me View Post
    whats good fella's....

just bought some killian back to black & cruel intentions and realized how much i like smelling good...

so i decided to join a forum lol

now that im seeing people pretty much build cologne collections... i might be up next for that
    Welcome to basenotes! Smelling good is one of our staples here... of course we all think we do

I think you'll find it very easy to get into building your own collection here. Enjoy!

Hi!
    Have been reading an lurking for a while and have discovered some fantastic scents via some really helpful people. You guys are the antithesis of the people who offer fragrance squirts in the department stores ie knowledgable and not on commission!!! Have built up quite an armoury of what my wife calls smellies thanks to the info on here and still on the lookout! Belated Happy New Year to everyone!

Hi from London. Want to start discovering the joy of scents! So will be reading a lot of the posts in this site to give me new ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by telleron View Post
    Hi from London. Want to start discovering the joy of scents! So will be reading a lot of the posts in this site to give me new ideas!
    Welcome to basenotes. Glad to see you here with us. Reading is going to get you pretty far with this crowd because there is a ton on information to find. You just need to look in the right places, which anyone here, including myself, will gladly help you out with.

Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum for a while now and I finally decided to register..I always liked to smell good but I've recently realised I'd like to know much more about fragrances so here I am! I basically know almost nothing about fragrances or such, but I'm here to learn..I'm definitely willing to enlarge my wardrobe.
    This site is amazing by the way I'm impressed by the amount of information it provides..

Hi Serenity*!!

I love your user name.
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Question Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Question: I love Bulgari Omnia Crystalline; I've both read, and noticed myself, that it is a light scent. It disappears rather quickly. I'd like suggestions on a similar scent that is longer lasting.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome Serenity* and Peachallie.

I am not familiar with Bulgari Omnia Crystalline but reading about it, it sounds like it's a musky woods scent - and remember...certain people (like me) cannot smell certain musks so perhaps it smells 'light' to you because you're not smelling/experiencing the musk?

If I were you, I would do an Advanced Search here on BN with the keywords 'musky wood' in the Female Fragrance Board and see what you come up with.

Good luck!

Basenotes Institution

So many new members- what a delight ! Welcome to Basenotes and let your sniffing adventure begin !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Hi Serenity*!!

I love your user name.
    Thank you!
    I actually don't like it but I had no inspiration when I registered, haha

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity* View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum for a while now and I finally decided to register..I always liked to smell good but I've recently realised I'd like to know much more about fragrances so here I am! I basically know almost nothing about fragrances or such, but I'm here to learn..I'm definitely willing to enlarge my wardrobe.
    This site is amazing by the way I'm impressed by the amount of information it provides..
    You are in excellent company, I assure you! Welcome! Glad to have you here.

Hi All, I just found this place, you folks sure know about perfumes, I hope you can help me find something I am looking for, I saw a few suggestions from other posts.

Thanks to all who posted links on where to buy supplies, if I would not have searched on a perfume this evening I would never have found this place.

thanks again
    Last edited by 3nines; 5th February 2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: add

Hello... I just started a collecting fragrances a few weeks ago, and ran into your site while looking for various reviews of cologne online. this website has been so helpful and informative about what types of frags I should sample... Some of my favorite colognes i've tried/purchased so far have been these

YSL M7 (love this)
    Gucci Envy
    Comme Des Garcons 2Man (love the smell, but very bad longevity)
    Gucci Pour Homme I & II
    Terre D Hermes
    Encre Noire
    CDG Kyoto (my favorite)

can anyone recommend any other frags I might enjoy based on the ones I like? thanks!

We're happy to have you. You'll be telling people where to buy samples and sharing your experiences and tastes soon enough. If you can't find what you are looking here then it must not exist...

Omnia Crystalline was supposed to be fruity; I'm currently enjoying Chanel No, 19 but still looking for that great mostly fruity/ touch of floral combo.

Well, I have a question :
    Is it ok to spray so much fragrance, that you actually smell ? (for example, you use 4 or 5 sprays, then you go out). I never did that, I am just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves Saint Lourock View Post
    Well, I have a question :
    Is it ok to spray so much fragrance, that you actually smell ? (for example, you use 4 or 5 sprays, then you go out). I never did that, I am just curious.
    Yes it is. 4-5 sprays seems to be the maximum that many people will spray. You want to smell! And you want to smell good. Don't go crazy and make it that you fill the room with your fragrance when you walk in, but enough so that at the right distance people will enjoy you.

I neglected to post here when i joined.
    I'm Shamsi and I live in New York.
    I know less than nothing about fragrances and am a kid in a candyshop on this site and a couple others.
    What an incredible resource in so many ways.

thank you
    thank you
    thank you

I have another question:
    What the f is sillage ? What does it mean, man ? Dude, in every post someone sais that, but I don't know what it means. It must be silly, but I realy don't !
    Also:
    Is it ok to use unisex perfume ? Won't I smell like a girl ?
    Well, I have something to say about that : In my opinion, a frarance just CAN'T be unisex. It must be either for guys or girls ! So, what does a unisex smell like ?
    Should I buy Mugler Cologne or CK ONE ?
    And the final question:
    Is Terre d' Hermes any good ?
    I read the reviews, but many ppl say that it sucks, but if you read the forum, EVERYBODY has Hermes in their collection, and they say that it lasts for more then 8 hours, and that they had alot of compliments.
    And also, I have a problem :
    I just can't find Opium Pour Homme EDP in my country (Romania, I bet you can't find it in the whole Balkhan Peninsula !).
    Last edited by Yves Saint Lourock; 8th February 2010 at 07:45 AM.

I have another question:
    Well, I have something to say about that : In my opinion, a frarance just CAN'T be unisex.
    You might be surprised. Androgynous smells are very common and in fact I prefer them. If you want to smell like a macho man (whatever that means, anyway) unisex scents are probably not for you. Sometimes, fresh fruity scents are unisex unless they're overwhelmingly fruity or flowery (read: girly, although that's still very subjective). In a certain sense I agree with you. The frag in my avatar that I really enjoy is labeled as unisex but I feel like it's really at least somewhat more masculine.

This is not taking into account the fact that there's girls who wear guy perfumes and vice versa, fully knowing that they're not made for their gender, but who gives a shit really.

As far as Terre goes, I personally don't like it. It's very earthy, mineral-like and uninviting. It's like you bury your face in a metallic burial of soil and burnt orange peels. It's very... formal, masculine and ultimately - flat and boring to my nose. If you want a serious/formal/cold/abrasive scent you might want to try it out.

I feel there's way more playful and and exciting frags out there, even though Terre is very good in it's own right.
    Last edited by Vladdypwnz; 8th February 2010 at 08:44 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Hi all,

Denmark calling.
    I would just like to say hallo all. I've been reading some of all you guys' reviews
    in the directory, and I love it. So why not join? I adore perfumes.
    I'm not exactly what one would call a newbie to the world of perfumes,
    just new to the board.

Anyway, my signature scent is, and has always been, Chanels fab Égoïste,
    but I have multible other bottles in my collection.

Well, see ya,
    fifi pou pou,

LGD
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 9th February 2010 at 01:54 AM.

I have another question:
    What the f is sillage ? What does it mean, man ? Dude, in every post someone sais that, but I don't know what it means. It must be silly, but I realy don't
    Sillage is a french word that refers to the waves/wake behind a boat but it's used in fragrance circles to basically describe how much a fragrance "projects" out from your body. Some, people can smell before you enter into the room, while others are "skin scents", meaning only within a few inches. This of course does vary a bit even with the same frag depending on your skin type, amount and place applied, etc
    Also:
    Is it ok to use unisex perfume ? Won't I smell like a girl?
    Understand this by reading carefully... very few things in this world are actually gender specific. Clothing generally is for functional reasons but in general things like food, wine, etc aren't "gendered". Is Steak manly? sure, but women like it too. Frangrances are only MARKETED as male or female and even then it's often just something they decide later on or even switch up years later. There are very few scents that only one gender can really wear, but what it all comes down to is what YOU feel comfortable with. if at your age/stage of life you're concerned about "smelling like a girl", then sure, stick to "manly" scents. But the more of a man you become the less you'll probably care what others think. Remember pink polos? There's nothing straighter then being comfortable looking like you might be gay, lol

Well, I have something to say about that : In my opinion, a frarance just CAN'T be unisex. It must be either for guys or girls ! So, what does a unisex smell like?
    many are marketed as unisex but actually they just don't sell as well like that. Almost the oposite, there's almost no such thing as gender specific... see above

Should I buy Mugler Cologne or CK ONE ?
    up to you. I'm not the one who'll be wearing it. I suggest you try both and then decide what makes YOU happy.

And the final question:Is Terre d' Hermes any good ?
    is ice cream any good? sure, depends who you ask. I think it's great, but I will say it's probably a 25+ years fragrance. There are very few fragrances I ever draw hard lines about who should/shouldn't wear but this one I'm reasonably set on... How about you try it and decide?

And also, I have a problem :
    I just can't find Opium Pour Homme EDP in my country (Romania, I bet you can't find it in the whole Balkhan Peninsula !).
    I've seen the Opium PH EdT around fairly commonly, just not the EdP version. I have both and can say the EdP is much nicer but the EdT is no wussy. It's great stuff. I smelled it once and bought the bottle right away, and I'm not rich and I only have about 20 bottles total - it was that good. Again though, maybe a little "complex" if you're under 20

Hope that helps a little... Stick around and read bro, there's lots to learn, take it slow and enjoy it (That's what SHE said, zing!)
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 15th February 2010 at 05:56 AM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Greetings!

I joined a few months ago but am finally getting around to saying hello! I'm a long-time fan of fragrances but for years bought bottles based only on a quick sniff at the counter. As you might expect, not all those purchases turned out so well! Anyway, I took a break for a few years before getting some advice and samples from a friend over at B&B. That was only a few months ago and I've since acquired about 80% of my wardrobe! Thanks for all the great information this site has provided me and I look forward to contributing more very soon.

Bill
    Last edited by TexBilly; 11th February 2010 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexBilly View Post
    Greetings!

I joined a few months ago but am finally getting around to saying hello! I'm a long-time fan of fragrances but for years bought bottles based only on a quick sniff at the counter. As you might expect, not all those purchases turned out so well! Anyway, I took a break for a few years before getting some advice and samples from a friend over at B&B. That was only a few months ago and I've since acquired about 80% of my wardrobe! Thanks for all the great information this site has provided me and I look forward to contributing more very soon.

Bill
    Welcome TexBilly!!

Glad to see that you are posting now. It's a lot more fun when you are in the mix of things rather than just reading up in the background. I look forward to seeing you posting more on the boards! Have fun!!

Hi,

I registered today at your forum and tried to look at reveiws about FeatureFragrance.com but didn't found any. I want to buy some fragrances from then that are hard to find and no other website carries them in that low price. but before placing order would like to know the reputation of that online perfume store.

if someone ever shopped from FeatureFragrance.com please reply ASAP

Thank you,

New to the world of cologne!

Hello! I am a new member and also somewhat new to the world of cologne! I have about 15 currently as you can see from my wardwrobe it's pretty basic! I'm a 25 y.o. college student and am open to new suggestions! Feel free to add me as a friend!

Andy

I found a nice NEW (for me) scent: Noa Perle. As my mother bought me Anais, Anais it seems natural. *

*First gift mother-age 6 was a tiny bottle of "evening in Paris" I THINK, purchased at a Woolworth's decades ago I was estatic leaving the store with the very "fancy" gift for her............................

Is there any Chanel fragrance that is good for a teenager (Age 17/18) ? In all the reviews I saw that everybody said that these fragrances are more for mature people. I don't have, in my city, a mall where I can test them therefore an Egoiste or Egoiste Platinum will suit me ?

Basenotes Institution

Wow ! Lots of new members- welcome to you all .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    Is there any Chanel fragrance that is good for a teenager (Age 17/18) ? In all the reviews I saw that everybody said that these fragrances are more for mature people. I don't have, in my city, a mall where I can test them therefore an Egoiste or Egoiste Platinum will suit me ?
    The orig. Égoïste is not for young men.
    Then I'd go with Platinum instead.
    But better yet, try the classic Allure,
    it's perfect for your age..!

Welcome on board!

Thanks Le Grand Duc!
    And also thanks altough I'm here for a while :P:P

I am now pleased with Noa Perle; any suggestions on a floral fruity with the emphasis on FRUITY? I've tried Demeter's line but would like a more classic FRUITY/floral.

I just typped a whole long story,and then lost it,by hitting a key,or the touchpad,so I'm not typuing anymore;(I just told my Dragon NaturallySpeaking to wake up, because I tacked a whole long story about how I got into cent, and then I hit the wrong key, or the damn touchpad, and I lost the whole thing. I have to replace my keyboard, it's malfunctioning.) I'm just a frustrated perfume lover, who can no longer buy wonderful French perfumes or colognes, because of the ridiculous prices now, compared to what they used to be years ago. I switched over to perfumed oils, kind of hippie like, but they were very nice, although they were a lot cheaper and they're nice on your skin. So I got into this just because I'm a frustrated consumer. I was reading this book "de-luxe" on the fashion industry, claiming that fashion is over, and it's just a huge global business, and all the quality is very bad now. That is the truth, and also I no longer can find good perfume at reasonable prices, so I thought to myself on reading this book, "why don't I find out how to make the oils or perfumes, and make some myself?" Well, everybody else in the world wants to do it to, so it's very expensive. So I found several websites that have all the supplies, all the fragrance oils and the stuff you mix with it, so I'm testing them for quality. I can't even find good producers.in the book, perfume experts say that the very high quality classic perfumes have been very downgraded, and are no longer very good. So it doesn't sound good for perfume, unless you have a ton of money, or unless you are in the business or can figure out how to throw your own together just to function. So I'm looking for very basic good-quality oil-based fragrances, that I can slightly blend together, just as perfume. I'm not rich, so I can't afford the very best ingredients all the time. But I found a few websites that have bare base prices, and I'm trying them out for quality right now. There are a lot of them.they also tell you just enough so that you can figure out how to make some of your own either oil combinations in neutral bases, or inexpensive body products.

Okay, that's all about me. I don't want this fragrance hobby to get too complicated or costly, I already have too many hobbies, and I can't get them done either. However, in the defense of trying to find something good enough quality to wear, that doesn't smell like J. Lo, I guess I have to do this. I'll be darned if I'm going to wear Paris Hilton or some such junk. Believe me, if you go to Walgreens now, you don't find good perfume sets anymore, you only find really bad crap.I used to like all the old classic perfumes and dusting powders. My favorite perfume is "Maja, by Myrurgia"and i love the dusting powder. I also used to like Shalimar. And those hippie fragrance oils you find in little stores are also nice.(I burn incense, with a charcoal base, in my house all the time and I love frankincense and myrrh.) I did resort to them, and now I'm trying to find decent quality fragrance oils. There was one place in Eugene, Oregon, that was selling very cheaply something known as "flower water". You guys probably know what that is, well it smelled wonderful. I hope I find more of that. I tend to go on the side of floral fragrances, and I really do not like food flavors as perfume. I don't want to smell like a raspberry truffle, or citrus and lemon and pears. Why do people want to smell like food? It just makes you hungry, and you can't eat the scent.I would rather have peppermint flavoring to put in warm milk, not on my skin.

Okay, that's enough about me. I did want to find a community of people who were into perfume and fragrance of all kinds, to learn about it and compare notes, and figure out why we are doing this, and what it means to us, if anything. I'm glad to be here, thanks for reading this, sincerely, dorothyblueeyes, in Oregon

Hi. I am new. Thank you for providing this forum. I am willing to learn from others .I have always been selective when it comes to searching for a perfect cologne or perfume but I didn't know about this forum of other like-minded individuals. After testing many colognes many years back, I settled on just wearing one b/c it seemed to fit any situation ( & it never seemed to bother any lady I was with at the time). Old Spice. Yes, I know...not very adventurous but is just worked :-)

I am more adventurous now. This past christmas, I received a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed as a gift. Without knowing any of the history or clout surrounding this cologne I settled on wearing it as my daily scent. Little by little, I've noticed casual compliments about my cologne.

Now I just want to be simple and have 2 colognes. One for day & one for evenings. I want find something that is the exact opposite of GIT, something that is perfect for nightss out. I've noticed that I don't like clean citrus scents like any Aqua De Parma; it all smells like Pine-Sol to me.
    I am looking for something "animal" but nice. I have stumbled upon a Kheils Musk scent and a Serge Lutens Musc Kublei Khan. Both are nice, but the Serge Lutens seem about as animal as you can get. Maybe I have missed a nice scent that others know of?
    Btw, I'm Mongolian. That is why Khan is in my username. It has nothing to do with a preference to Serge Lutens :-)
    Last edited by boldkhan; 14th March 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Hi, my name's Patrick and i've been 29 for more than two years now. I just recently developed a sudden interest in scents. I have no idea where it came from, but there's so much to discover that i'm really enjoying it. I love reading the forums here and the really really great reviews. I have to keep myself from buying samples of everything that sounds interesting. But i'm not very successful doing so. That's why i smelled like a buddhist temple for most of today.

Welcome! I would suggest that you do a wardrobe, or something of the sort!

Andy

As a cigar connoisseur I have been surprised to find that the forums on this site are very similar to the discussions I partake in on various cigar sites. Both perfume and cigar connoisseurs focus on the various "flavor profiles" that make up their favorite scent or cigar. In fact, some of the colognes I wear go very well with certain cigars that I smoke. You could almost say that they complement each other. Thus far, I have found that I am much more particular about the type of cologne I wear than the type of cigar I smoke. I have joined this site in the attempt to refine my understanding of the various components that are involved in the making and enjoyment of colognes.

Greetings,

Having lurked and learned for the last few years, I've decided it is time to finally join the crowd.

Scent must be the most neglected of the senses. It is difficult to articulate, although I now realize it has its own language.

For years I have been a fan of fine Japanese incense, and enjoy agarwood, sandalwood, spices and other varieties and blends produced by Shoyeido, Baieido, Minorien, and many of the smaller traditional incense makers. Like ProustianScent, I enjoy the occasional cigar, and am always amazed at the depth that can be found in something as apparently simple as unadulterated rolled tobacco leaf (nutty, chocolate, sometimes oaky or cedarish, etc). In recent years I have also become something of a "tea snob", and have learned to appreciate the subtle variations among types of leaf depending upon a leaf's origin, type, preparation, etc.--once you try loose leaf special varieties, you'll never go back to the bag

Fragrance (perfume) in its many forms is simply another form of appreciating scent. Like incense appreciation, it is tied to the nose...unlike cigar and tea appreciation (never at the same time), or say perhaps food or wine tasting, it does not utilize the palate. It is unique and requires focus...I am constantly amazed by the world of scent.

There is so much to learn, there are so many opportunities to experience something new! The impact of a particular fragrance on state of mind is another avenue to explore, from fragrance memories to emotions evoked.

Thank you for providing a place where anyone may learn and share.

Happiness,

Blue Coyote

Hi, I'm new and excited about being a member. Only today was a disaster! I'd read the reviews on Gurlain's Mitsouko and L'Heure and could'nt wait to sample the scent for myself, big mistake! Within 20 minutes, first a headache, then my nose starting running, and then nauseous. I thought, please shoot me and get me out of my misery. I never felt so violated and assaulted in my life. What happened? Maybe these two bottles have been sitting on the shelf for the last 90yrs. Thanks

Hi Dorothyblueyes, I just finished reading your comments on "Just starting out" I went out this saturday to a place recommended to hunt for some scents no longer carried in most dept. stores in Albuquerque, NM and low and behold I came across the scent Maja. OMG I was transported back in time reminising about playing in my mothers bedroom playing dress up!! Immediately I bought three bars of soap wrapped in that distinctive red tissue paper with the Maja label. I'm going to store them in one of my seldom used lingerie drawers, where when I'm feeling nostolgic and missing my mother I can retreat to another time and once again be close to my sweet mom. Their is something so comforting about some vintage scents!! Forgive me for rambling, I just wanted to share and extend a warm welcome. Bye until next time....

Hi all,
    Another new member here, very excited about being part of Basenotes. I've followed certain threads for a long time and am now finally posting messages, hurrah!! Thank you!

Cool Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hello, all.

Like so many others here, I have an interest in fragrances but am a total novice.

I wanted to join in part to say "thank you" to all the members who take time to post reviews; your collective knowledge and insight has been very helpful!

MT

Default Hi

i am newest member here from INDIA.I really like the forum for the vast info it have about different fragrances i am happy to be a part of BN

hi to all and anyone from india?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy Powder View Post
    Hi all,
    Another new member here, very excited about being part of Basenotes. I've followed certain threads for a long time and am now finally posting messages, hurrah!! Thank you!
    Be sure to keep posting. Welcome aboard.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 18th May 2010 at 12:52 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Merrythought View Post
    Hello, all.

Like so many others here, I have an interest in fragrances but am a total novice. MT
    We've all been there!. Welcome - nice to have you here.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 18th May 2010 at 12:53 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Hi

Quote Originally Posted by cell View Post
    i am newest member here from INDIA.I really like the forum for the vast info it have about different fragrances i am happy to be a part of BN

hi to all and anyone from india?
    You're right - the wealth of information is indeed vast. Hope you will get as much out of being here as the rest of us do.
    Welcome.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 18th May 2010 at 12:58 PM.

Red face I am very excited to be here !!!

I am also just learning about the world of perfume. I have 3 proper perfumes at this moment. Stella by Stella McCartney, Poison by Dior and Opium by YSL that I just purchased this weekend. I am very intrigued by Rosines as well as Orientals with strong staying power. Any suggestions on how to purchase / obtain samples to try fragrances before buying as well as great places for discount fragrances would be much appreciated. I want to currently find samples of Tom Ford's Black Orchid and Lolita Lempicka. Any suggestions regarding a rose / incense / woodsy blend would be super helpful!!

Thanks!