Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

I had the same question & posted a simple list of basic categories from another site. I subsequently received this comment from noggs:

"As far as I know, Basenotes does not have and chooses not to use such a system.

I recall reading posts in the past about this. Grant himself may have contributed, I don't remember. The gist was that there are no standardized fragrance categories and no standard system in use within the industry. I suppose the most widely used system might be the one used by Michael Edwards.

The placement of fragrances into various categories is subjective and highly flexible, especially with some perfumers now blending elements of different traditional categories to create "hybrid" scents. I think Basenotes wants to stay away from such arbitrary and subjective classifications."

There are various sites that list various somewhat similar categorizations...I don't know why Basenotes prefers to avoid such lists, although I essentially agree with noggs' comment, most who write here refer themselves to categories such as fougeres, chypres, herbals, aquas, florals, orientals, etc...I agree there are definitely cross-over aromas yet essential categories can be used in at least a general way for the inevitable sake of convenience...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 12th October 2010 at 03:17 AM.

Here's what I had posted in a thread I had started (Fragrance Categories):

I wish Basenotes had a Category (male & female) List of fragrances characterized as predominantly florals, fruits, fougeres, aquas or blues, grasses or greens, chypre or woods. orientals or spices, tobaccos, etc...or however best (professionally) they could/should be categorized...I know there is a certain amount of cross-over of elements...if Basenotes does have such a category page I have not as yet been able to find it...

Here might be a starting point from - http://www.janmoran.com/perfume_101.html#Overwhelmed

Popular Fragrance Categories:

Floral single flowers or classic floral blends, fresh, fruity, or powdery
    Citrus Fruity lemon, orange, bergamot, apple, berries
    Aquatic rain-fresh or ocean aromas
    Nature Greens fresh-mown grass and spring leaves
    Oriental vanilla-ambery or spicy-woody, floral Oriental blends
    Chypre citrus, patchouli, moss
    Fougère(meaning fern) well-balanced citrus, lavender, woods (popular masculine fragrances)
    Woody pine, cedar, sandalwood, patchouli
    Last edited by wggmn3; 12th October 2010 at 05:30 AM.

Default hunting for sen-sen perfume

Hello everyone

I've been lurking in the basenotes forums for a couple of months now, and I'm both impressed and daunted by everyone's knowledge. I decided to create a profile because I don't know much yet about perfume, but I am having a great time learning more. This semester I'm thinking of doing a research paper on perfume and its connection to sublimity--there seems to be so much written on scent, and there are so many ways one could approach a topic like this. Also, it could be fun to look for critical-theory-style explications of perfume names (especially the French ones--l'apres l'ondee?--wonderful). Have any of you heard of such a thing? Long story short, I'm obsessed with perfume and am already beginning to spend money I don't have on it. Yay!

In trying to track down a particular fragrance, I began reading about perfume, exploring brands and notes, buying samples, etc. It didn't take long to become totally enamored of the "suchness" of scent.

Up until this year, the only perfume I had ever bought for myself was Child (don't laugh!). The second time I purchased it, it came with a few samples. Florence by Tocca was one, and the other I cannot for the life of me remember! It's a mystery that neither I nor beautyhabit have been able to solve. The vial had a French word on it, but this was before I took French 101 or recognized perfume houses--thought it might have been Guerlain but beautyhabit has never carried them. All I really do know is it smelled exactly like Sen-Sen--the old-timey breath perfume. Are any of you familiar with those little black tabs and their distinct smell? My internet research indicates that the major notes in sen-sen (not necessarily the frag itself) are licorice+violet or licorice+lavender. I remember sen-sen smelling herb-y, kind of sharp with something like a menthol-tingle, but not menthol. The mystery fragrance may have had some slight orange or citrus notes that were left after the sen-sen smell dissipated. The frag was light, so it may be an EDT or EDC or even a fraiche I'm looking for. Oh, and I lost the vial (of course).

This was a really long post, sorry I look forward to learning from you all. Since I don't have much perfume knowledge to share, here is a note about fragrance in pre-contact Hawaii (from Peter Buck's Arts and Crafts of Hawaii):

The Hawaiian word for perfume is "wai'ala." Ancient Hawaiians made cloth, called kapa, out of bark. The fun part is that the cloth was infused with various scents: laua'e fern (Phymatosorus scolopendria), kupaoa (Railliardia ciliolata), mokihana & maile (both smell gorgeous, are still used in lei-making today), powdered sandalwood, awapuhi rhizome, ilima, and kamani flowers. Historian Samuel Kamakau said a piece of cloth scented with one such infusion, "it becomes a fragrant thing with a soft pleasant odour like a cool morning." I'll have what he's smelling.

If you haven't, try to find a way to sniff maile and mokihana one day. The two are used together in leis. The former is supposed to be reminiscent of tonka bean or vanilla grass because it contains coumarin (according to wikipedia--I don't know what tonka or vanilla grass smell like). The latter is anise-y but not in a gourmand way.

Here are links with info on some of these plants if you are interested in these plants:
    http://www.canoeplants.com/wauke.html
    http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/carr/natives.htm

Default Re: hunting for sen-sen perfume

To Puce Oublieuse (hhhmmm, qu'est-ce que ca veut dire: "forgetful thumb")

- You'll undoubtedly catch on quickly...as I'm sure you have, it seems all you need to do is read a bunch of critiques for the necessary vocab & the rest is pretty subjective / personal as to what you like or don't...obviously you can only depend so far on other's opinions no matter how well they write, how well they express their pov...& thanks for the very interesting info regarding"wai'ala"...w/ hyperlinks to boot...

Quote Originally Posted by davidwillson View Post
    Is there a page with a FAQ somewhere that explains things like the difference between EDP and EDT and Millesime and such?
    Here's a very informative page which will fill you in on the different concentrations.

http://www.basenotes.net/articles/fragrancefaq.html

And JaimeB has a very interesting article on the meaning of Millésime here:

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/91-...3%A9simes-quot

Thank you so much for this board. I am a newbie and it has really helped me already. Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

Nice to meet you too nikole ^^^ welcome !!.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 3rd December 2010 at 09:25 AM.

Smile Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hey everyone, I was just looking online and I found this wonderful place! I love fragrances, and I finally decided to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Right now, I have about 20 bottles of fragrances, and most of them are mainstream. After a recent visit to Dubai, I have decided that I want to find smells that are bit more excusive, and that can really excite my senses. Just from reading a few posts, I see I have a lot to learn! I'm looking forward to learning more, and seeing what is out there! :-)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Degoody View Post
    Hey everyone, I was just looking online and I found this wonderful place! I love fragrances, and I finally decided to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Right now, I have about 20 bottles of fragrances, and most of them are mainstream. After a recent visit to Dubai, I have decided that I want to find smells that are bit more excusive, and that can really excite my senses. Just from reading a few posts, I see I have a lot to learn! I'm looking forward to learning more, and seeing what is out there! :-)
    You have certainly come to the right place, Degoody. Hope you enjoy being part of this great community.

Good Afternoon everyone

I found this forum when it was recommended on another message board as a great resource.

I've never experimented much with fragrances, infact you could probably count on your fingers all the perfumes I've ever worn - or put it another way, am very loyal to what I like.

Now I thought I might try and learn more about what I like and what else is similar to it - so I'll most likely be reading the site rather than posting, but thought I'd say a proper Hello rather than just being an anonymous registered user.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Frillz View Post
    Good Afternoon everyone

I found this forum when it was recommended on another message board as a great resource.

I've never experimented much with fragrances, infact you could probably count on your fingers all the perfumes I've ever worn - or put it another way, am very loyal to what I like.

Now I thought I might try and learn more about what I like and what else is similar to it - so I'll most likely be reading the site rather than posting, but thought I'd say a proper Hello rather than just being an anonymous registered user.

Thanks for introducing yourself, Frillz.

Hope the learning curve is an enjoyable one.

Just a quick hello to everyone on basenotes. I would describe myself as keen but inexperienced. Looking forward to learning what's what.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi46 View Post
    Just a quick hello to everyone on basenotes. I would describe myself as keen but inexperienced. Looking forward to learning what's what.

Welcome Rossi46 - nice to have another Brit here. Enjoy the ride !.

Thanks Jon. My fragrance odyssey starts here!

HI all,

Been lurking on the site for a few days now. Found basenotes when I was researching a cologne that I recieved for xmas. I consider myself a noob to fragrances and exited to learn more about them.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gelo View Post
    HI all,

Been lurking on the site for a few days now. Found basenotes when I was researching a cologne that I recieved for xmas. I consider myself a noob to fragrances and exited to learn more about them.
    You won't find a better place to broaden your knowledge. Welcome Gelo !.

Hi, i´m new here,
    i´ve been lurking for a few days on that forum and decided to sign in. After watching a special movie my dad started to mix fragrances with essential oils. I was curious and gathered my own essential oils. But the mixtures were not so successful. For me, it is pretty difficult to make a fragrance only with essential oils. Especially with the information i got on that forum i found out that there may be another way: aromachemicals, and where to order them. I tried a few mixtures with chemicals and essential oils and for my the result is much better...
    Besides, i´m a fanatic for woody fragrances, especially cedar and Hinoki wood. I love insence or olibanum as well. And i have knack for all those light japanese fragrances.
    English is mot my mother - language, so be patient with me !

Just want to send out an all encompassing HELLO! and welcome to y'all. As a recent newbie and still gushing amateur I can relate. So welcome and stick around. Check out the stickied "self education" thread in this forum. if you find other resources or want stuff changed please let me know.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Hi everyone.

A complete novice to the world of fragrances, (not that I havn't worn any before), but reading your reviews, likes and dislikes I'm sure will help me on my way to a good collection of smells.

Introduced to basenotes by my good friend Rossi46.

Thanks buddy.

Cool Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi everyone!

This is my first comment in basenotes, I hope to learn much from you.

My name is Antonio Medrano and I'm from Mexico.

Nice to meet you guys.

Greetings.

If this is the place for introductions, I'm in. Have been lurking for awhile but not posting. I was absolutely clueless about smells until I started selling Avon a few years ago and had to learn about them to be able to appropriately recommend and describe smells to customers. So I have a little bit of experience. I have been getting some samples from Luckyscent and Indiescent and ideally would like to be able to express myself with scents but not get so many that it takes up too much space in my life, if that makes sense.

Here's a sort of smells-bio...

Rose seems to smell really awful on me.
    Florals and citrus sometimes just sort of sit on top of my skin and smell like air freshener or something.

I am in love with Reglisse Noire and Jailia, already bought the Reglisse and saving up for the Jailia. They are very different from each other, Reglisse cool and licoricey, Jailia like sunshine, but both of them seem to settle in and smell very good on my skin and I love them.

Also wear Love Etc. from Body Shop often as my "safe" office smell. It is sweet and pretty, certainly not challenging or unique; gets compliments all around, it's nice.

My daughters, customers, and I all love Karmala, an avon scent that was discontinued. This is spicy, lasts a long time even on me, beautiful smell. We have a couple of bottles and some of the body lotion so will be able to enjoy it for awhile yet.

Best selling Avon scent for me is still Imari though Bond Girl is a close contender now.

Well, happy Wednesday and hi from Florida.

Welcome Scooter (nice to see you on here mate) and all the other newbies. Everyone on BN has been really helpful and friendly............it's a great place to learn. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Welcome, Robin-in-FL!

Many of us enjoyed Avon when we were young; Avon understood the value of introducing young people to perfume. My godmother used to sell Avon and would give me those cute jars of cream sachet for my birthday. (Too bad they don't sell those any more!)

Basenotes Plus

Belated but hearty welcomes to Conni HD, Scooter, A.Medrano, and Robin-in-FL. Great to have you all here. Enjoy !.

Default New to perfumery, not to EO's/scents

Hello!

I'm a noob to the world of doing scents properly, but I've been working with EOs for fun and business (henna body art) for quite some time. I'll be posting momentarily on finding a from-scratch amber recipe, since I'm trying to reverse engineer an incense and I'm stumped. Glad to find this place - my nose is exhausted and even the cats smell funny tonight!

Hello everyone!

I am somewhat new to the site (lurking for a while now)
    I live in Vancouver B.C and have had a love for scents since I was young. I only recently in the last year have become much more into the high end colognes.

My favourite by far has got to be the creeds, with Royal Delight being my all time fave (so far) I tried on Aventus yesterday and have got to say I really liked it, got a compliment almost instantly!

Look forward to sharing and learning with you all.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sniff Tester View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am somewhat new to the site (lurking for a while now)
    I live in Vancouver B.C and have had a love for scents since I was young. I only recently in the last year have become much more into the high end colognes.

My favourite by far has got to be the creeds, with Royal Delight being my all time fave (so far) I tried on Aventus yesterday and have got to say I really liked it, got a compliment almost instantly!

Look forward to sharing and learning with you all.
    Welcome Sniff Tester. Creed tends to polarize opinion but is also my favourite house. Think you will find good company here. Enjoy !.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: New to perfumery, not to EO's/scents

Quote Originally Posted by ladytetsu View Post
    Hello!

I'm a noob to the world of doing scents properly, but I've been working with EOs for fun and business (henna body art) for quite some time. I'll be posting momentarily on finding a from-scratch amber recipe, since I'm trying to reverse engineer an incense and I'm stumped. Glad to find this place - my nose is exhausted and even the cats smell funny tonight!

Glad you found us too ladytetsu. Welcome !.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 2nd February 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Hello; another newcomer here. This place is quite impressive! Such an extensive and useful source of information about fragrances... love it.

So here's my deal:
    I had one very severe allergic reaction to a spray cologne from Elizabeth Arden (sunflower? sunshine?... something like that), and for years afterward I avoided all scented beauty products. I smelled like Ivory soap, and that was it.

Fortunately, it turns out I am not allergic to all perfumes. I tried on something at Origins and tolerated it well, so its seems time to give fragrances another chance.

I think I'm looking for a fresh, flowery fragrance with a hint of spice or musk...? Something feminine and sensual, but not too sugary. Smells I love: lilac, white musk, honeysuckle, lavender, grapefruit and gardenia.

I can't seem to find anything remotely affordable that smells like lilac. Maybe I just don't know where to look? Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction... it would be much appreciated.

~Amanda

Basenotes Plus

Shouting out a big HELLO to all the newbies! Welcome to the fabulous playground, Basenotes!

shanda-manda Nothing wrong with Ivory Soap, but glad you found out you were not allergic. I see you are in Boston (city of my birth). There are a lot of places which carry the more esoteric brands to sniff around Copley Square (Neiman Marcus, Saks, Barney's) so try many things there- even though you might not buy. Also check out essence on Newbury Street for essential oils.

I'm a Lilac fan, but it is a tough note in perfumery- it can just sit on your skin and not play well with other notes. Some of my favorite Lilacs are Highland Lilac of Rochester, a very realistic soliflor under $50 (check their website) and Ineke's After My Own Heart which is like the whole lilac bush in a breeze. There's also been several Lilac threads in the time I've been here, so try using the search function to research, as well.

Sniff in good health and let us know what you try.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Thank you very much Jon, Nice to meet You, this is very nice.

Red face Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi Everyone! I've lurking the site for a few days (yeah, I'm the epitome of newbie-ness), and have decided to join

I had been interested in scents ever since I was very young, but haven't found the right perfume for me. I'm in my late teens and I have yet to find my fragrance (By yet I mean all of my friends that are my age already have a favorite perfume)

I like the scent of vanilla, strawberry (hence my user name :P), and anything sweet and edible. Unfortunately I have only found that type of scent on body lotions and other light-weight fragrances sold at bath and body works and that type of stores... I like the scent since its fresh and lightweight (perfect for daily-wear and school) but it’s too subtle! I can smell it when I first put it on but then the scent fades very quickly and not even my boyfriend can catch the scent. So even if I spend a lot of time (and money) in these types of body-butters people tell me I don’t really smell like anything at all.

The thing I just adore about scent is that I can remember people by the way the smell. I can remember places by scent, and I can get a lot of different emotions from various different aromas.

That’s why I’m looking for the right perfume. The one that will suit me and that will not only make me smell nice, but also become my signature scent

I hope to learn a lot from you guys and slowly start building my perfume collection.

Kind Regards from México!
    Last edited by Strawberry9; 16th February 2011 at 11:15 AM.
    "The chin a little higher, dear. Style largely depends on the way the chin is worn. They are worn very high, just at present."
    - Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, Act 3

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry9 View Post
    Hi Everyone! I've lurking the site for a few days (yeah, I'm the epitome of newbie-ness), and have decided to join

I had been interested in scents ever since I was very young, but haven't found the right perfume for me. I'm in my late teens and I have yet to find my fragrance (By yet I mean all of my friends that are my age already have a favorite perfume)

I like the scent of vanilla, strawberry (hence my user name :P), and anything sweet and edible. Unfortunately I have only found that type of scent on body lotions and other light-weight fragrances sold at bath and body works and that type of stores... I like the scent since its fresh and lightweight (perfect for daily-wear and school) but it’s too subtle! I can smell it when I first put it on but then the scent fades very quickly and not even my boyfriend can catch the scent. So even if I spend a lot of time (and money) in these types of body-butters people tell me I don’t really smell like anything at all.

The thing I just adore about scent is that I can remember people by the way the smell. I can remember places by scent, and I can get a lot of different emotions from various different aromas.

That’s why I’m looking for the right perfume. The one that will suit me and that will not only make me smell nice, but also become my signature scent

I hope to learn a lot from you guys and slowly start building my perfume collection.

Kind Regards from México!
    You sound like a fully fledged Basenoter already Strawberry9. Welcome - nice to have you here. Don't worry about not finding the right perfume as yet. The fun is in the quest.

PS - Based on your tastes you might like to try Juste un Baiser by Fragonard.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    You sound like a fully fledged Basenoter already Strawberry9. Welcome - nice to have you here. Don't worry about not finding the right perfume as yet. The fun is in the quest.

PS - Based on your tastes you might like to try Juste un Baiser by Fragonard.
    Thank you so much JON RODGERS!

Nice meeting you! And thanks again for your suggestion I will try that fragrance right away (it might just be the one )

Happy weekend! (Or almost weekend)
    "The chin a little higher, dear. Style largely depends on the way the chin is worn. They are worn very high, just at present."
    - Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, Act 3

Blog Entries

Wink Introduction to Just Starting Out...

This seems to be the place to introduce oneself. Or, at least, one place to do so.

Well here is my story. Like some others (above) I have an allergy to some scents, esp. those that are put on too strong (you know the type person, a little is good so...ALOT must be even better!!!) This seems especially true in the case of some men, although some women do it too. So I have not worn any fragrance at all for most of my life, which to date, spans about 62 years.

Now, how did I find my way from not wearing any fragrance at all, and disliking most that I had to smell, to here? Well I was in my local library last week and on the new books shelf happened to see a title that I thought might be interesting: The Secret of Chanel No. 5. I read it straight through and became more interested in the fragrance industry than in Coco herself, so I looked to see what else we had in this particular branch of the library system. That's where I found what seems to be a bible of fragrances, PERFUMES the A-Z guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez (2009 ed.).

For the last several days I have been working my way thru this A-Z guide. The authors are, for me anyway, very entertaining, but they also share alot of their personal knowledge, which is voluminous. Here I learned more about the various quasi-categories of scents used in the perfume industry, some of which I really had no idea about. Going from a complete ignoramus about scents, terms like fougere and chypre and vetiver were total mysteries. But they were interesting mysteries.

After doing alot of reading in Turin and Sanchez, I began to make lists. My first list was entitled "11 Fragrances", and mainly included "masculine" fragrances that T & S had given 5 stars; or if not, then ones that illustrated a certain type of scent. Here's that list:
    1. Sycomore (Chanel)
    2. Timbuktu (L’Artisan)
    3. Habit Rouge (Guerlain)
    5. Vetiver Extraordinaire (Frederic Malle)
    6. 31 Rue Cambon (Chanel)
    7. Lime Basil & Mandarin (Jo Malone)
    8. Lavender (Caldey Island)
    9. New York (Parfume de Nicolai)
    10. Cuir (Lancome)
    11. Yohji Homme (Yamamoto)
    Also after reading in Turin and Sanchez I began to surf the Internet for more on fragrances and that's where I found y'all. Plus places like The Perfumed Court, which sells decanted samples (and which I almost spent alot of money on!)

Then I made another list of fragrance brands that I thought would be most likely to be found at department store perfume counters (because I realized that I needed to stop thinking about fragrances and actually go smell some!). Here's that list:
    POSSIBLY AT MOST COUNTERS?
    Grey Flannel (Geoffrey Beane, 1976) sweet green
    Arpege (Lanvin) unisex classic
    Canoe (Dana)
    Guerlain Homme (Guerlain) rum wood
    Vetiver - Men’s (Guerlain) reference vetiver
    Tommy Bahama (Tommy Bahama) tobacco/spice/leather (cedar?)
    Mitsouko (Guerlain) reference chypre
    Bambu Hombre (Adolfo Dominguez - new)
    Aramis (Aramis 1965) leather chypre
    Apres L’Ondee (Guerlain, 1906!) heavenly heliotrope
    Tommy Girl (Tommy Hilfiger) tea floral
    Paris (YSL) roaring rose
    Osmanthe Yunnan (The Different Company) milky tea
    Probably not at counters but curious: Jasmine (Keiko Mecheri) soliflore, Concentre d’Orange Verte (Hermes), Eau Parfumee au The Vert (Bvlgari/Ellena 1993), Velvet Gardenia (Tom Ford) real gardenia, 4 stars, Sel de Vetiver (TDC/C.Ellena).
    These were mostly taken from highly rated scents by T & S, but also some that I thought represented a certain class of scent. The little epithets after each name are the ones given by T & S.

With these lists all done, off I went to Macy's and Nordstrom's today. Out of the study and into the Real World. Well...! was I surprised. Most of the scents on my lists were not even carried by these two department stores. However, after looking at my list and seeing under my arm a copy of Turin and Sanchez, the middle-aged saleswoman quickly realized that I was in no way her average male customer! She was very nice and soon had sprayed half a dozen smell-strips for me of what she did have that came closest to some of my scents. I had to be careful to keep them separate from each other as I made my way to Macy's. There I found a Men's Fragrance counter and stayed there (keeping it simple, stupid). The saleswoman there was much less interested in me but did help me get a sample or two of some things not on the counter, such as Aramis. Then I had even more samples to keep separate!

I decided "enough was enough" and made my way back to my car. On the way home I was just about transported to uber-Paris in some parallel Universe of mega-scent-ville, so lowering the windows I made it home without sneezing.

In another post I'll continue this account, focusing upon the scents I have in hand and what I have been doing with them...til then...your friendly novice bid Adieu!
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; 4th March 2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: grammar corrections

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Introduction to Just Starting Out...

A big welcome to you Santapauliana! I loved your story and wish you fun and happy exploring on your journey. If there are Nieman Marcus, Saks or Barney's near you- check out the counters there as well.

Sniff in good health!
    A Scent Rescuer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Introduction to Just Starting Out...

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    A big welcome to you Santapauliana! I loved your story and wish you fun and happy exploring on your journey. If there are Nieman Marcus, Saks or Barney's near you- check out the counters there as well. Sniff in good health!
    Thanks Knit at Nite. Well the Dutch for 'saint' is 'santa' so all is well LOL. Check out the next installment below. You know, given that new posts on this thread are placed at the end of the thread, on the LAST page, makes them unlikely to be seen by alot of folks...so I wonder who will read what is basically an introduction.

Hello... I joined basenotes mid january, so I'm reasonably new here. I just realised that I haven't introduced myself - how rude!!
    I first found basenotes while trying to satisfy a curiosity about Creed - Original Vetiver I'd smelled in a gift shop. I soon became obsessed / addicted to tracking down scents that I'd like to wear, other than the CK ones or run of the mill / safe / trendy / common ones I'd always gone for in the past. After 6wks here, I have learned so much about scents, just by reading reviews and stumbling around on the forums. I still have so much to learn, sample and smell though - I'm sure I'll be saying the same in years to come. Feel free to check out my wardrobe and all advice and suggestions are more than welcome here! thank you
    Last edited by LOST!; 7th March 2011 at 06:07 PM.
    LOST! in scent and music

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Hello to all here.

Welcome Blanco!
    A Scent Rescuer

Hello everyone...

I too am very new, although have been reading here for some time, and yes, I guess, "lurking".

I've loved perfume for as long as I can remember, but my knowledge is pretty well zilch compared to most all of you here. I've been reading here, and oh, how I've used the search option.. then too, I've been reading many of the great perfume blogs, often until the wee hours, and of course, I'm still a rank novice... but what could be more fun and enchanting than learning more about perfumes? !

I've ordered once from the perfumed court, and have another wishlist ready to put on the order block, but it's oh, so hard to choose... I've been an Opium fan from way back, and I find that so many of the scents I'm drawn to are the orientals. Still, now that I've been reading here, I do know that there are so many incredible perfumes out there, and I'm looking forward to trying them. Thanks so much for having this board.
    * I'll have to find an avatar and signature, I'm sure this post will look quite naked..

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IngaMi View Post
    Hello everyone...

I too am very new, although have been reading here for some time, and yes, I guess, "lurking".

I've loved perfume for as long as I can remember, but my knowledge is pretty well zilch compared to most all of you here. I've been reading here, and oh, how I've used the search option.. then too, I've been reading many of the great perfume blogs, often until the wee hours, and of course, I'm still a rank novice... but what could be more fun and enchanting than learning more about perfumes? !

I've ordered once from the perfumed court, and have another wishlist ready to put on the order block, but it's oh, so hard to choose... I've been an Opium fan from way back, and I find that so many of the scents I'm drawn to are the orientals. Still, now that I've been reading here, I do know that there are so many incredible perfumes out there, and I'm looking forward to trying them. Thanks so much for having this board.
    * I'll have to find an avatar and signature, I'm sure this post will look quite naked..

Glad you decided to join us IngaMi. Welcome aboard !.

Love! this board, just starting out in my obsession with scent. There really is no other word. My husband and I both have AOS degrees in Culinary Arts from the CIA in NY; he is currently pursuing his graduate's in Food Science at the U of A and on track to be a flavorist. (how similar!) I wish I had found this path sooner. Now I want to go back to school to learn more about perfuming (is that a word?) - but to really make a career- I think I have missed the boat, I am 41 and have a very successful and lucrative career as a corporate restaurant manager.

Fragrance; both nature and food evoke such memories, loving what cb has done....gonna break the bank on samples this week. HAVE to have "In the Summer Kitchen", "At the Beach 1966" (Mom's Coppertone!) and "Gathering Apples". As a chef, smell is the first "taste", umami is of special interest to me.

I know I have a good nose, a scent or smell of a person, place or ingredient will recall the name faster in my memory, than ever, by rote. Kinda scary!

Advice?

Kendra Kristine
    Last edited by KendraKristine; 16th March 2011 at 05:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Welcome, KendraKristine!

I think you have the right idea about starting with sampling. Even samples can get expensive, as you know, but your money will go a lot farther and you'll discover what you like faster than by sinking it into full bottles right off.

There are many sources for samples, including Luckyscent (which has detailed description of the fragrances, with notes.) Keep notes; this may help you figure out which types of fragrances and which notes work best for you.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on basenotes for a very long time, mostly to use the wardrobe since it helps keep track of what I have. I stopped logging in for years but decided to come back. I have this renewed fragrance obsession; although I have a large collection already. >_< I hope everyone is well! I love sampling and trying new fragrances.

Default Another rank newbie

Hello All!

This is a bit intimidating to me, as I am an absolute virgin to the world of perfumery (right word?), but was recently "turned on" to it via an improbable, roundabout manner as a result of a trip to Hawaii, and being exposed to sandalwood (the Hawaiian species, very rare) for the first time. As a result, I began to research and explore that subject, then sandalwood oil, then essential oils in general .... and the rest just snowballed. Now, I seem to be frantically making up for years of neglect!

Anyway, I am particularly interested by the woody/spicy/balsamic fragrances, and hope to explore that end of things my making up my own blends of such essential oils. I have learned a lot in the last few weeks by browsing through older threads here, and hope to learn much more as time goes by. I just hope my beginner's passion, combined with beginner's ignorance, does not prove too annoying to the many other forum members here!

Glad to have found this forum, though. Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome akguy and princessofpinays !. . Good to have you both here.

I just joined yesterday and I'm already loving it here. I've been a lover and buyer of perfumes since I was a teen and my obsession has yet to fade I live in Australia, love my perfumes/colognes (of course) and luxury scented candles, books, design and having fresh flowers constantly in my house. I love wearing my most expensive perfumes around the house while lounging in my pajamas. I wear them for my enjoyment only. I'm pretty selfish like that
    ♥ Tom Ford Private Blends, Diptyque candles, Jo Malone, Frederic Malle, Auric Blends.
    Please let me know if you're selling a bottle of Tom Ford - Noir de Noir

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by seaofghosts View Post
    I just joined yesterday and I'm already loving it here. I've been a lover and buyer of perfumes since I was a teen and my obsession has yet to fade I live in Australia, love my perfumes/colognes (of course) and luxury scented candles, books, design and having fresh flowers constantly in my house. I love wearing my most expensive perfumes around the house while lounging in my pajamas. I wear them for my enjoyment only. I'm pretty selfish like that

A hearty welcome to you seaofghosts (like the username !).

Hey Everyone,

Fantastic forum/website you've got here. I've just started looking for a new perfume for myself. I've been wearing Coco Mademoiselle for years (say at least 6!) I think I'm due a change.

I'm based in the Midlands, UK, however I went to Les Senteurs in London the other day out of curiosity. Fantastic shop, but overall my experience was a little confusing. I know so little about describing perfume that I'm unsure of exactly what type of fragrance I am looking for. I said oriental but the lady felt I liked floral, inparticular, tuberose and so kindly gave me lots of samples. However I found it quite different trying to say if I liked a perfume judging it on it's top notes. I've always found I need to give it a good few minutes before I have any idea.

I was thinking of ordering a few more samples online to "smell around" and find out what I like and what suits me. I'm 27 years old, half Mauritian (so quite hard to place as to my origin looks-wise) and am looking for something that's mysterious and maybe a bit sexy based on my notes below does anyone have any recommendations?

Perfumerie Generale, Tuberouse Couture 17 - waaaaaaay too sweet, I can't stand it.

Les Nez, Manoumallia - I actually love this one, but every now and again I get a really offensive whiff of rubber and worry that other people may smell this constantly and think I pong...

Caron, Tuberouse - quite green, it's nice although a bit boring.

Anik Goutal - Passion - clean and white, liked the middle, but felt sick a few hours in from it.

Heely - Opheilia - beautiful jasmine with a whiff of melon, I didn't really feel it was unusual enough to warrant the money.

I also tried Coco by Chanel to see if I did actually like orientals. I thought it was lovely but a bit too sweet.

Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone. Just signed up and I know it will be the beginning of a long relationship. I'm a newbie and mainly here to learn and discover new fragrances that are not widely available in stores. Actually just purchased (blind) a bottle of encre noire due to this site!

Also just bought a bottle of bleu de chanel from ebay since the GF liked it on me and it just arrived but the bottle looks fake (no serial number, non magnetic cap) but I am not sure how to tell, hoping to learn all that from here too.

I've only tried a few, but so far hugo boss baldessarini is one of my faves. Can't wait to try more!

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post.
    I should say ' Hello' to everyone here, and i believe i would love to stay here. :-)
    Love Summer so much, that I could wear my favorite Tom Ford Sunglasses, and my beautiful dresses....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnet View Post
    I'm a newbie here and this is my first post.
    I should say ' Hello' to everyone here, and i believe i would love to stay here. :-)
    Hello back, Cygnet. Do stay - you'll enjoy it here.

Welcome aboard guys!

Hello my fellow fragrance aficianado's.

I'm Tyler-Durden, and hope to "qualify" as an aficianado very soon.

I'd be lying if I said that I was more than a novice, but I am known for my taste in aftershave, and colleagues both male and female have previously commented on my taste, so I guess that's a start.

I am a fan of some commercial classics, but for years have become increasingly frustrated at getting a new bottle, only to smell like everybody else. I have ventured in to the House of Creed today for the first time (so that might qualify my worthiness to some of you at least).

I will offer my opinion where i can, but am looking to learn from your shared experience.

Hello, everyone! I've been chasing scents for about 7 years now. I've stumbled across this site several times and never realized how extensive it is. I thought there were only reviews. I just today found the forums and other fun stuff and decided to sign up. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the inner workings of perfume and have a difficult time trying to describe what I'm smelling in words. So, I hope to learn a lot here and extend my fragrance education to more than what it has been.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome, Cygnet, tyler-durden, and littlerose! I hope you enjoy it here.

Thanks, matildaben!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by littlerose View Post
    Hello, everyone! I've been chasing scents for about 7 years now. I've stumbled across this site several times and never realized how extensive it is. I thought there were only reviews. I just today found the forums and other fun stuff and decided to sign up. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the inner workings of perfume and have a difficult time trying to describe what I'm smelling in words. So, I hope to learn a lot here and extend my fragrance education to more than what it has been.

Thanks for having me!
    Welcome littlerose

Very glad to have you here.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    Hello my fellow fragrance aficianado's.

I'm Tyler-Durden, and hope to "qualify" as an aficianado very soon.

I'd be lying if I said that I was more than a novice, but I am known for my taste in aftershave, and colleagues both male and female have previously commented on my taste, so I guess that's a start.

I am a fan of some commercial classics, but for years have become increasingly frustrated at getting a new bottle, only to smell like everybody else. I have ventured in to the House of Creed today for the first time (so that might qualify my worthiness to some of you at least).

I will offer my opinion where i can, but am looking to learn from your shared experience.

Thanks for the introduction and welcome to Basenotes !.

Thank you, Jon Rodgers, for the welcome and the rose.