Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

As an avid consumer, i enjoy reading about scents. While I have only 4-5 myself, perfume scented bath gels, and lotions are my usual gifts for family & friends. Two questions for those more knowledgeable than I:

1. I'm wearing Boucheron a lot now, I found it through this site after wearing Orange Tonic, Orange Cream Pop, and orange scented oils. I'd like to try other orange/tangerine/grapefruit scents, preferably ones that last. Any suggestions?

2. A close friend I buy scent for loves Victoria's Secret Pink; I'd like to know if there are any similar scents readily available?

Hi all, Im new and have amassed a small load of samples already.None really blew me away til last week when I recieved my Guerlain Spirituese Double Vanille...HOLD THE PHONES AND CANCEL XMAS!

anyways..hi im new :wave:

Welcome to basenotes Peachallie and 911opr!!!

Unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge of female scents to help you out with your similar scent hunt Peachallie... You should post your question in the woman's board and see if you get any luck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachallie View Post
    1. I'm wearing Boucheron a lot now, I found it through this site after wearing Orange Tonic, Orange Cream Pop, and orange scented oils. I'd like to try other orange/tangerine/grapefruit scents, preferably ones that last. Any suggestions?
    Maybe you can try Eau du Sud or Eau d'Hadrien, both by Annick Goutal. Boss Moves from Hugo Boss also rich in oranges or you might be in love to citronella notes on 212 Splash for men. Good luck!

Blog Entries

As an avid consumer, i enjoy reading about scents. While I have only 4-5 myself, perfume scented bath gels, and lotions are my usual gifts for family & friends. Two questions for those more knowledgeable than I:

2. A close friend I buy scent for loves Victoria's Secret Pink; I'd like to know if there are any similar scents readily available?

Welcome Peachallie I'd suggest Beyond Paradise Blue by Estee Lauder or One O One for Women by Giorgio Valenti.

Good luck.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

23 year old teacher-student from Sweden. I just registered here, and I hope to learn a lot about the world of fragrances by reading all the interesting posts from all those great perfumeexperts . My english isn't really that great, but the more I read, the more I learn.

I discovered the world of scents when I was a little girl, by the age of five or six, hiding in the bathroom spraying my mothers perfumes and just sniffing, sniffing, sniffing. Perfumes has always interested me, and now by the age of 23 my interest is getting more and more refined, and I'm learning so much from all perfumecommunities and websites! I'm really greatful that this world has opened its doors for me.

One thing that I really have to learn is to identify different scents. When I smell a perfume I always refer to a feeling, a colour, a song or something else, but I can't identify the different notes. I don't smell jasmine or pepper, I feel the sound of a violin or the beat of a big city. This is one thing I really want to learn, any one who has some advices where to start?

Thank you for this wonderful website!

Welcome, MahaKali! :wave: The idea of associating perfume with color & feeling has been an interesting topic -- you're not alone in experiencing perfume that way: Synethesia and Color Associations with Scent

I remember seeing a couple of note-learning links posted recently...

Happy sniffing!
    Last edited by tang; 30th January 2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes MahaKali. Enjoy the journey
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Blog Entries

Just wanted to say thanks for this board! I'm a 25-year-old art/design student in Los Angeles, and I officially tipped over the edge into perfume obsession just this past December. Apres la Mousson did the trick, of all random things. Something about the perfume-as-geographical-narrative got me, despite the melon that now drives me a little crazy. I know a lot of it is ad copy pap, but I love it all the same.

It's been one heck of a journey so far and I couldn't ask for a better road map into perfume obsession than BN and the BN community. Thanks again!

Arrow Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi!

I'm new here.
    I have read so many interesting things on this Website. Wanted to thank all the people that make this Forum so interesting.

I like scents that last a pretty long time, since I'm in the office the whole day.
    For now I like Ralph Lauren Polo-Paco Rabanne-Cool Water-Kouros-John Varvatos...
    I'm not exactly obsessed by fragrances, I just wanna smell good...

Great site!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Hi everyone!
    Another rookie with a life-long passion for scents signing up here. So far, I've mostly tried the classics, but feel like I'm at an awkward age (36) ; too young to wear them "properly", and too old to do it in a more ironic, retro way. Always on lookout for the holy grail of the perfect everyday perfume, I might add...

Thank you for the suggestion Silverbullet, I just got the Beyond Paradise Blue in today; I have been trying samples of Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi the last few days. The top notes are nice. Tomorrow begins the Beyond Paradise days.

I've recently been suring bassnotes and will admit, this site can be overwhelming.

I've been recording my own thoughts on scents I like for a year now and I'm not Chandler Burr. However, I enjoy what they do to me and how they make me feel. What I've learned in that year so men are quite passionate about their fragrance habits. Anyhow, I just love the extra dimension scent adds to life.

I'll continue to work my way around this site and am happy for this section here. Kudos to you guys.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum fragrantmoments Did you mean basenotes instead of bassnotes?

Question Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hello folks, I've just registered this very day. I confess to surfing the reviews for quite a long time but haven't registered until now.

Being an old girl, I've quite a collection of perfumes, mainly Guerlain, and am still adding to it, hence checking basenotes reviews before buying.

Will work on my wardrobe and try to get up to speed with the rest of the site before I take the plunge.

Welcome to basenotes Skib!
    unico grande amore.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Shib

Smile Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

I love the orange in Vanilla, Bourbon and Mandarin of Sicily by Antica Farmacista. Deeper into the niche side, I like Mandarin Tout Simplement by L'Artisan. On the cheapie side try Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange...it's awesome for the price. Those are just a few off the top of my head, and I definitely recommend asking for recommendations on the women's board, OR doing a notes search in the directory. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Skib View Post
    Hello folks, I've just registered this very day. I confess to surfing the reviews for quite a long time but haven't registered until now.

Being an old girl, I've quite a collection of perfumes, mainly Guerlain, and am still adding to it, hence checking basenotes reviews before buying.

Will work on my wardrobe and try to get up to speed with the rest of the site before I take the plunge.
    Yes, it's fun to organize your wardrobe! One of my favorite pastimes! Welcome!

Hi Peachallie and welcome.

The word grapefruit appears in my inbox and i'm instantly reminded of one great fragrance.

Thanks Sudsy for introducing me to Guerlain Pamplemousse.

You should be able to try a little at any dept store that carries Guerlain.

Enjoy. Ed
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. Albert Einstein.

I ordered some samples of the Pamplemousse, thank you for the recommendation.

I ordered some samples of the Pamplemousse, thank you for the recommendation.
    Enjoy - I hope you love it as much as I do. All the best Ed
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. Albert Einstein.

Hello all, long time lurker Adonis here. Big fan of this site. Quite new to the scent scene, but I'm quickly realizing how expensive of a hobby this is . Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Hello all, long time lurker Adonis here. Big fan of this site. Quite new to the scent scene, but I'm quickly realizing how expensive of a hobby this is . Thanks.
    Welcome to basenotes adonis! Glad you could finally join up. Don't spend too much money...

Hello everyone!

I've always loved fragrances but never really bothered to make the time and effort to learn more about it. I've been visiting here since last year and I've learned so much from this site. It's also nice to know there are so many people everywhere that share something in common.

Thank you so much to the creators, moderators and all basenotes members of this wonderful site

Cheers

Jss
    Currently wearing: L'Eau de L'Eau by Diptyque

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum

Cool Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

I just joined yesterday after 8 months visiting the site. I hope to someday aquire part of the vast knowledge some of the members have.
    Plastykos

Quote Originally Posted by Plastykos View Post
    I just joined yesterday after 8 months visiting the site. I hope to someday aquire part of the vast knowledge some of the members have.
    Welcome to basenotes Plastykos!

Joining will definitely help you gain more knowledge because you'll be engaged in the conversations rather than just reading about them. It'll be nice to hear what a long-time lurker has to say.

Hi all, Will here. I just found the site recently and loving every single minute of it. I have learned alot thus far and still learning. I am very new to the fragrance world, but still own my share. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I look forward to my time here on basenotes..

I have two questions.

1. What is sillage?
    2. Could someone link me or tell me where the basenotes newsletter link is please. I saw the link but dont know where it was.

Thanks
    Last edited by Will1983; 22nd March 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will1983 View Post
    Hi all, Will here. I just found the site recently and loving every single minute of it. I have learned alot thus far and still learning. I am very new to the fragrance world, but still own my share. I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I look forward to my time here on basenotes..

I have two questions.

1. What is sillage?
    2. Could someone link me or tell me where the basenotes newsletter link is please. I saw the link but dont know where it was.

Thanks
    Hello Will, Welcome #1 Sillage ( pronounced "see yazh") comes from the nautical term meaning the wake of a vessel that it leaves behind, or projection of the fragrance in terms of distance from others around you. Some fragrances "lay" close to the skin with hardly any sillage, or projection, others are "sillage monsters" which can trail you down Highway 101

#2 Somebody else has to help you with that one.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 22nd March 2009 at 11:34 AM.