Code of Conduct

Default New(ish) to the world of perfume, Female Fragrance suggestions please?

It's been a while since I've been on base notes! Most of my time here, I've been perusing and reading various threads, since I find perfume fascinating. I've dabbled with fragrances here and there and have found a few scents that I definitely enjoy, but I was hoping to find some more suggestions as I'd like to order a batch of samples and find more scents that I love.

I'm a twenty-one year old university student, in my last year of my Bachelors. Currently, I love Hermes' Ambre Narguile, which I finally invested in a (small) bottle of; I like that it isn't too cloying, but has a more deep, complex sweetness. I also enjoy Jo Malone's Blackberry and Bay because it's rather fruity yet earthy, and it's great for autumn/winter. Compared to my high school go-to (mostly Fragonard's Fleur de Vanille, which I don't dislike, it's just not preferred), these scents are definitely more unisex and seem to have more depth to them, if that makes any sense.

I'm not a big fan of powdery notes. I appreciate florals, but soft florals with a powdery scent aren't really my cup of tea. Fresh/"clean" scents are nice but I feel apathetic towards them--although maybe I just haven't found the right one? I've tried most of the more mainstream designer, Sephora-level perfumes and haven't found anything that really piqued my interest. So, your expert suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: New(ish) to the world of perfume, Female Fragrance suggestions please?

My wife has been wearing this a lot lately, and I love it. She also enjoys Ambre Narguile.

High quality, unique with an affordable price tag.

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/64...-4160-tuesdays

Default Re: New(ish) to the world of perfume, Female Fragrance suggestions please?

Since you like ambers, there are very many good ambers in niche perfumery. Perhaps my favorite is Profumi del Forte Vintage Ambra Mediterranea (vintage is part of the name, there's no vintage version). You can also try a couple of other starker, but famous ambers, Lutens Ambre Sultan (dark spicy) and Tauer L'air du desert marocain (incensy).

In general, if you prefer richer and more complex rather than fresh/floral, Lutens is a good house to explore. Other examples in the house include Feminite des bois (woody fruity), Arabie (bitter-spicy-fruity), jeux de peau (caramel immortelle), and others.

If you want to remain in mainstream, as you pointed out, there's much less - the predominant style being fruity florals. You can find stuff here and there. Some classic Estee lauder are very deep (Azuree is a butch leather, Knowing a deep mossy rose, Youth Dew a big spicy).

cacio

I am new to fragrance (exploring actually) as well. Have you seen this site? www.surrendertochance.com They sell hundreds of samples and have put together sets for all different interests.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFrench View Post
    I am new to fragrance (exploring actually) as well. Have you seen this site? www.surrendertochance.com They sell hundreds of samples and have put together sets for all different interests.
    It's well known here at Basenotes. Welcome to you CuriousFrench!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It's well known here at Basenotes. Welcome to you CuriousFrench!
    Thank you kindly hednic This is where I discovered that site as well. I have been coming here to this wonderful site as a guest and finally decided to join. Very excited! I have received my first sampler set and am now ready to begin exploring.