Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Welcome to Just Starting Out...

... and welcome to Basenotes.

Often on the main discussion boards, there is a lot of talk about obscure and expensive fragrances and this can be quite overwhelming for a newcomer to the world of fragrance.

The "Just Starting Out" forum is designed to help people who are new to fragrances. You shouldn't be afraid to ask a question, no matter how silly it seems. We aim to provide a friendly area where people can come and learn. It should be a relaxed place but also very informative.

One very important point is helping out where ever you can. We should all try and think back to our early days in fragrance and think of the people who helped us out along the way. The "Just Starting Out" gives you a perfect opportunity to pass some of this information on.

Bear in mind that you are not obligated to post here if you are new to fragrances, but it is sometimes useful to converse with members at a similar level.

We will however sometimes move a thread into, or out of of this board, if we feel it is better suited or more likely to receive a better response elsewhere.

We hope that the "Just Starting" forum will be a gentle introduction to the wonderful world of perfumes. We also hope that some day in the future you will come back to help other users as they start their journey.
    Last edited by DanielleCooper; 17th January 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Grant, I would like to tell you how much I appreciate this board. It is so useful and it seems to be working for the most part. There are a lot of good questions comming out of the new members and I am happy to answer them in here. Thank you for getting this done so quickly. You really took immediate action after people started to suggest something like this. I think it is going to help keep the Male Fragrance discussion less clustered and let those who give advice do so without the mess of finding the noob threads.

I feel like it is already working in terms of better threads in the MFD. There has been a lot of good threads started and 2 new dependents, which is always nice. It has just been going great IMO and I would like to say keep it up!! I love what you are doing here and I hope it continues to be such an amazing community.

EnvYuS

Just signed up today because of the number of reliable people who can decant samples of fragrances I would like to try and because of the reviews that are really enjoyable and informative to read. When trying to contact a member who has a decant I wanted to try I was informed I would have to at least have one post to contact the person. I did find this a little bit annoying and cumbersome to a first time user. I felt like I was forced to participate in a forum for just for the sake of participating without receiving any real benefit from such a demand. It did make me search for 30 minutes before I could even figure out how to post to this site which is maybe the real purpose behind this? This is rather poor judgment in my mind. I would have rather posted on a forum because I had something to offer after experiencing the site, rather than being forced to post to the board. Well here is my post, now maybe I can actually use all that your site has to offer and contact a member to share what they have to offer.
    Mark

Even though at first I was put off by the demand and difficulty to post to this site as a first time user, I want to say, now that I have experienced this site, I really love it! The reviews and user feedback are incredible and this is a first class site all the way. I have been in awe by the help and courtesy of the members. I have found my new favorite site and I have been on so many times now I felt guilty not becoming a supporting member, so as of today I have paid my dues and am now a supporting member. Way to go guys, this is a site worthy to support. I never knew fragrances could be so fun or bring so many wonderful people together in one place. A special thanks to member scentemental for all his help and putting up with all my rambling and questions as I get my feet wet on basenotes. He is a first class member and an example to be followed and looked up to and one of the reasons I became a supporting member.
    Many thanks to all who help make Basenotes the great site it is!
    Mark

Is there a page with a FAQ somewhere that explains things like the difference between EDP and EDT and Millesime and such?

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba
    Is there a page with a FAQ somewhere that explains things like the difference between EDP and EDT and Millesime and such?
    Check the FAQ on the Men's Fragrance board.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    [quote author=DrBubba link=1144755241/0#4 date=1146697749]Is there a page with a FAQ somewhere that explains things like the difference between EDP and EDT and Millesime and such?
    Check the FAQ on the Men's Fragrance board.[/quote]

Thanks I totally missed that.

Grant,

I feel foolish asking this question, but I'm blanking out on how to add things to my Wardrobe. I already have something in there, but I can't remember how I got it there!

Thanks,

Laurel

Never mind . . . :-[ I just figured it out.

Hello everyone, I just became a supporting member. I have been using this site for reference for quite a while and thought I could help contribute and help keep it running.

Drive Safe
    Drink Milk
    Peace..........

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Quote Originally Posted by Vastare
    Hello everyone, I just became a supporting member. I have been using this site for reference for quite a while and thought I could help contribute and help keep it running.

Drive Safe
    Drink Milk
    Peace..........

Welcome aboard!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Red face Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi all,

I am what I would call a Semi-Newbie in the world of Fragrances. I have for years bought the over the dime store stuff because I was "afraid" to go into the upper scale stores because the people behind the fragrance counters, seem to look at me (Paranoia on my part?) as beneath them. I felt intimidated. I was relieved and very excited when Sephora and Ulta came along. I was finely able to sniff the perfumes that I had always wanted to smell without feeling intimidated. Along the way I ending up writing to a kind Gentleman by the Name of Luca Turin who kindly wrote me back giving me scent advice. I found out much later he is a "Legend" in the Fragrance field . But you couldn't tell by the way he wrote to me. At any rate at the age off 44 I find I am just now starting to enjoy finding new scents, and have even found some sites whom make knock off scents that smell even better then the real stuff (to me at least) I would like share some of these sites if I may. I also wanted to know if anyone else ever felt or feels the same way, about being intimidated, by the different department stores.. I feel it's really an hindrance to the manufactures of perfume when these people act in such a way . At any rate HI all!
    Cindy

xxx
    Last edited by rubyred; 17th November 2012 at 01:16 AM.

Cool Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Just HAD to say SOMETHING! Am so excited to have found this site. Will now rush upstairs and catalogue the thirty some bottles of fragrances clustered on the bathroom (I know. I know) shelves and then go SOMEWHERE to learn how to decant and get RULLY involved. Was raised to believe that a lady is not fully clothed until she's wearing gloves (!!!) and fragrance. Bag the gloves - I live at the beach - but the second commandment is spot on!

And thanx for the site - allthough it comes up with some weird characters on my browser.

kisskisskiss

hello everyone!
    I've been using the basenotes directory for months in my hunt for a 'signature' scent. I love fragrances but I'm a picky devil and the hunt continues...
    I'm glad to have the opportunity to ask advice from other enthusiasts!
    cariad oll

Hello:

Total newbie here. I don't really know much about fragrances at all, but I have been lurking about on the site, reading member comments, etc, and found it very interesting, so I thought I would sign up. Looking forward to learning about this intriguing world and getting a few tips on what I might like to try.

Thanks.

Buzzley

Talking Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Welcome welcome fellow newbie! The long-timers here ae incredibly helpful - I'm sure you'll make some great connections...check out the marketplaces for samples (check the directory for info on scents) Welcome aboard!!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley
    Hello:

Total newbie here. I don't really know much about fragrances at all, but I have been lurking about on the site, reading member comments, etc, and found it very interesting, so I thought I would sign up. Looking forward to learning about this intriguing world and getting a few tips on what I might like to try.

Thanks.

Buzzley
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

i am knew to this site and am not sure how to manuver around yet, so this at dvice is helpful. i really want to experience everything this site has to offer. thank you, Laura w.

i am knew to this forum and unsure how to manuver around,so thanks for the info. This sight looks great and i want toparticipate in everthing it has to offer.

Another newbie here :-)

I'm learning all I can about fragances and this is an awesome site. So far I picked my first cologne (Vetiver by Guerlain) based on the recommendations here and what was available locally and I like it quite a bit.

I know I'll definitely want to expand that and explore many other fragances.

Thanks for a great site!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this directory and I also think this is a good forum. However I cant find any FAQs or GUIDES. Are there any guides or literature that we can read to educate our selves. I do not like to go through all the posts.

Thanks
    xerxes

Hi everyone!
    I can not believe how long it has taken me to find this community! I've always been a huge fan of fragrance. Generally I make my own, but I have a good collection of retail as well. I am so glad to find a community of people who think like me! I adore light, clean, and florals, but I love everything else as well. So glad to meet all of you!
    Lauri
    Urban Botanic Consultant
    http://www.urbanbotanic.com/lauri

Smile Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi everyone, yet another newbie joining the ranks...

The name is Karen, and I notoriously have no sense of fashion, style, whatever you want to call it. I'm that girl who wears a skirt and tennis shoes. Yup. Needless to say, I've always thought fragrances were for prissy little bimbos who had mommy and daddy pay for everything. A few days ago a co-worker of mine showed me the error of my ways. Thanks go out to DrBubba for his kindness!

I will confess to knowing exactly nothing about scents, but I'm always willing to learn! Hope to be a regular poster soon!

- kB

Hi basenoters ! I am so pleased to have found this site through related blogs - my interest in fragrance is only recent and my "wardrobe" modest and probably quite pedestrian but I am astounded at the many fragrant experiences and opportunities that lay before me ... I look forward to learning and smelling all I can now ... I currently have just a few - Cacharel Amor PH. Gucci PH. Bvlgari Black, Helmut Lang Cuiron, Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir - all purchased for different reasons at different times in my life - but I appreciate them all in their own way ... I would like to try Creed fragrances - for their poularity , Guerlain fragrances especially jicky and Lheure Blue, Robert Piguet Fracas and Bandit - and kouros all just out of curiosity. I would like to own Dior Homme and Terre D'Hermes right now.
    I am also eager to own a copy of an earlier edition of Michael Edwards Fragrances of the World - 2006 or earlier - If any fellow Australian or international member is updating and would like to sell their earlier edition I would love to hear from you! I am also mad for home fragrances, candles and room sprays such as diptique, costes and etro candles- but again looking for new and wonderful things there as well..
    Thanks for everything - Jasp...

Talking Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hullo to all and nice to meet everyone-What a great idea...having just stumbled upon this board!
    Hurrah and many thanks for having a place for us "SCENT-Istive people".
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
    Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by gardyngrrrl
    Hullo to all and nice to meet everyone-What a great idea...having just stumbled upon this board!
    Hurrah and many thanks for having a place for us "SCENT-Istive people".

Hello gardyngrrrl! Welcome to basenotes. I like you already, because I like your name and your avatar. I look forward to seeing more posts from you!

Hi all...

I found this place through Badger&Blade, and I am looking at different ideas for colognes. I heard this was the place to be.

However, I, too, am having trouble finfing an FAQ to help me understand the lingo, but i'm sure I will learn more as I explore the site.

Hello everyone, i stumbled across this site as i am on a perfume journey of finding that signature scent!! hope to chat to you soon
    PB

Question Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hey there,

I'm new to basenotes and am trying to figure out how to put my colognes into my wardrobe from the directory. I've tried using the directions but to no avail. Could someone tell me how to add a cologne?

Thanks
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by BigE
    Hey there,

I'm new to basenotes and am trying to figure out how to put my colognes into my wardrobe from the directory. I've tried using the directions but to no avail. Could someone tell me how to add a cologne?

Thanks
    Eric
    Hi, Eric! Welcome to basenotes!

In order to add to your wardrobe you'll need to use the directory. There is a link at the top of the page on the left side. When you search your fragrances that you own there will be a pull down on the left side, under the image of the fragrance. You will be given options of where you want it. If you own it then put it in "my collection." You'll have to do it that way for all the bottles you own but it will be worth it. Let me know if you need any further help.

Hi everyone!

I cannot even begin to express how amazing I think this website is. I'm over here visiting a friend of mine in California (also a member) and was curious as to what he was always browsing. He linked me up and I am so fascinated with how much depth and eloquence there is in the fragrance world.

I feel that a community like this that specifically targets the subject of fragrances allows for so much growth, evolution, and higher education on the subject rather than your typical responses on other forums that seem so elementary compared to the knowledge here.

With that, i'm looking forward to a lot of exploring that will undoubtedly be ahead of me.

Just a hasty sidenote: are there any "guides" I can read so I can learn to classify fragrances, how to smell them, describe them, etc? So far i've just been reading the reviews on this site and trying to get a feel for what is what.

Hiya everyone. I'm new to this.

Came across this website through google. Looks great - can anyone suggest any good fragrances?

Foth x

Exclamation Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hello. Just wanted to introduce myself
    I'm from Portugal and love fragrances. The review section is great! One thing that still bugs me is that I don't know how to "check" the different notes (as you say, right?)... Generally I just notice if the smell is good or bad, but cannot (or haven't tried) to source the different smells.
    Cheers everyone

I'm new on this forum as well, having found it by running a search for MPG's Racine. Now I've looked the site over and there is so much more to know, I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can about fragrances. I'll be looking around for all the FAQs I can find, so as to understand some of what is being discussed here.

Do I need to be a Supporting Member to get the Wardrobe icon on my posts, so that those interested in my wardrobe can just click on it? If not, then how do I put it on there?

JD

Well, I guess I'm just starting out? I've owned Purple Sung, Eternity, Obesession, Tuscany, and basically anything on the popular level in the clubs and bars on Long Island in the 90's! lol

So I hear that Le Male is the new big cologne and a lot of names I'm not familiar with? I am kind of dissauded with the new "Androgenous" scents that are out and have been popular. I guess it started with CK One and never stopped! lol

I want to thank the Administrators who've put up with me this past week with my inquisitions. I have so many questions about "High End Cologne" ???

I cant find any of the recommended Colognes the guys gave me here at my Macys. I researched and found that here on the Island it is Nordstroms at Roosevelt field that has the most.

The Squire

So again I thank you guys and Moderators too! I hope to stay on this community, ask questions and get some help before I go and re-up with 5 new colognes.

Thank you gentlemen!

I just thought I'd say "hi" on the newbie thread. I'm trying to expand my fragrance wardrobe right now, and I'm excited about this community. I'm also hoping to make my own 'fumes sometime in the (hopefully near) future...

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatequark View Post
    I just thought I'd say "hi" on the newbie thread. I'm trying to expand my fragrance wardrobe right now, and I'm excited about this community. I'm also hoping to make my own 'fumes sometime in the (hopefully near) future...

Hello and welcome to basenotes! You'll deffinately be able to expand your knowledge and certainly your wardrobe. The only thing that will shrink is your wallet

EnvYuS, you are always eager to help us newbies. Thanks.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Hi to everyone!!!

I'm new to this wonderful world of "scents"... but great site !!! Go on

Quote Originally Posted by EncreNoir View Post
    Hi to everyone!!!

I'm new to this wonderful world of "scents"... but great site !!! Go on
    Welcome EncreNoir!
    This is a wonderfully good smelling world to be new to. Just post all your questions and like magic they shall be answered.

Hello all BASENOTES members!
    I am really pleased to have found this site. :-)
    I have just turned 50 on the 28th of May just past, and for most of my life, perfume has not been something I thought all that much about. However, since moving from Canada to Australia, and having made a lovely friend here, who is passionately wild about her scents, I've been giving it much more thought.
    The thing is, that I have an extremely well developed sense of smell, so there are some scents that repel me in the extreme and others that I have always been drawn towards. Since having found BASENOTES I've been doing tons of reading about perfumes and have found a new interest. I've, of course, made sure my friend knows all about the site, and I am constantly telling my husband the things I'm learning from the site. (He's always been more of a scent buff than I.)
    I've especially liked looking through the decades that different perfumes were introduced, even finding long forgotten perfumes that I used to have/use that I'd completely forgotten about.
    Thank you so much to the creators and supporters of this extensive & delightful smelling site!!
    CHEERS from AUSTRALIA!!
    ;-) SUDSY

Welcome Sudsy!

We look forward to interacting with you here at Basenotes !
    -

Welcome Sudsy - great to see more Australians on board ! All the best !

Thank you very much zztopp for your welcome!
    I love your name, one of my all time fav American rock bands; "Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man".
    I see that you decant quite a few CREED fragrances... I'd like for my husband to try some of them one day soon. Perhaps we'll do some business together in the future.
    --------------------------------------
    Hi jasper_244!
    Thanks for your welcome also, mate.
    I noticed that you own Cuir de Russie. Are you able to decant it at all? I would be interested in sampling it as my heritage from my mother is Russian.
    Last edited by Sudsy; 4th June 2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hello, everyone! I am new to this site, however, rather familiar to fragrances; being an addict of great scents. My question is this: What is the most effective way to wear cologne?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdene9 View Post
    Hello, everyone! I am new to this site, however, rather familiar to fragrances; being an addict of great scents. My question is this: What is the most effective way to wear cologne?
    Welcome to basenotes! I see you've been a member since last month but finally decided to post!

The most effective way to wear cologne is by applying the scent, whichever way you decide (samples, splash, spray), on your pulse points (wrists, chest, neck, inner elbow). How many sprays and which combination changes from person to person so I would advise testing out where you want to wear the scents and see which works the best.

Test it for yourself; it is worth it.

Cheers!

EnvYuS,

Thank you for the tips! I will most definitely give them a try. One of my aggrevations of cologne is that I'm the only one that seems to know I am wearing one. Although it could be that no one says anything, I'm still unsure. What would you say to spraying cologne onto moist skin?

We don't always get comments even when people notice and are pleased--scent is personal and many times a positive comment can seem like a come-on in conservative communities. Ask an honest friend if they notice your cologne, if you have on too much/too little.

Skin should be moisturized to help a scent last longer--not with water, but with something fragrance free and a bit oily. Many here rub on a bit of Jojoba oil, I use sweet almond oil, but anything unscented will help.

And welcome to basenotes! Explore! Learn! There is a lot of good information here.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Shycat,

Thank you! I am going to look into getting some Jojoba oil and see how that works.
    yours,
    Jdene9

Can someone please tell me how to post feedback for another user? Thanks.

Lightbulb Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Quote Originally Posted by michelle_gale View Post
    Can someone please tell me how to post feedback for another user? Thanks.
    Go to the top of this page.
    Click on MEMBERS LIST.
    Search for the BASENOTES user you require (the set up is alphabetical).
    Click on their link and that will send you to their PROFILE page.
    You can leave them feedback from there.
    Cheers!!

I have been looking into getting some jojoba oil for my cologne wear, but the lady at the store I shop at says jojoba oil is not what im looking for because I'd have to dilute it; that it is not good alone and needs to be mixed with something else(lotion, other oil, etc.). She said that I should look into getting some sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil. I'm now wondering which to go with. Any advice?
    --------------------------------------
    Well I went ahead and purshased some Grapeseed oil, but I haven't had a chance to use it and my cologne together. Another very important question that I'm curious about is: How long do colognes last, and what are the best ways to store/keep them to make sure they last a long while?
    Last edited by Jdene9; 20th June 2007 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    yours,
    Jdene9

Question Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi! Wondering if someone can help out a newbie. I've tried the help section and sending a email but I'm aware there can be some delay in reply so...
    The problem is:
    - I've registered, got my username and password;
    - I sign in BUT when I go to the directory of fragrances (I'm looking forward to setting up my wardrobe, I have over 700 bottles!), a message says I'm not signed in and so I keep going in circles: I sign in (welcome, perfuma - is the message), I go to the directory and from there I'm directed to the sign in page and there I gat an error message saying that either the username or password aren't ok...
    Could this be a glitch and when will it be gone?
    Am I missing something cause I'm new to the community?

Many thanks,
    Perfuma.

Perfuma,

This sounds like it could be a glitch. Grant is hosting the board in a different place so this is something he has to deal with. He's going to be away for a few days tending to his family, but I'll let him know there's a problem and he can get to it as soon as he gets back. Sorry for the hassles and welcome to Basenotes

I have been looking around here for many months and have finally decided to take the plunge. Basenotes has been very helpful as a research tool when I am deciding on a new (or old) fragrance. I look forward to joining the fray and hopefully can contribute to your forum.
    Cheers,

Johnnie

Remember, if you drink don't drive. Don't even putt. - Dean Martin

WELCOME :wave: johnniegold ... we're glad you decided to dive in!
    Hope to see you posting around the forum!!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all. W.SOMERSET MAUGHAM

Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
    WELCOME :wave: johnniegold ... we're glad you decided to dive in!
    Hope to see you posting around the forum!!
    Thanks Sudsy.
    Cheers,

Johnnie

Remember, if you drink don't drive. Don't even putt. - Dean Martin

I'm so happy to have found this forum and website!!!

I've always had a massive thing for fragrances but never really bothered to make the time and effort to really learn more about it and work on building a collection that I can really love and be proud of, but after browsing this site I think I may just become addicted.

I'm so impressed by everyone's knowledge of perfume, particularly when it comes to the niche fragrances (I think I'm developing an obsession with Caron's Tabac Blond even though I've never smelt it!).

Just a couple of quick questions:

1: Are there any perfume boutiques in the Sydney or Melbourne CBD that sell niche perfume brands like Caron, L'artisan parfumeur etc???? Or is the web the only way to go?

2: I'd love to play around with the wardrobe function, but whenever I cruise the directory it says the wardrobe function is not available until the site changes servers...does anyone know when that will be?

Cheers everyone, I look forward to perfume-obsessing with you!!!

xxx Lauren.

I'm not sure about the Australia question, sorry. We have tons of people here who would have insite as to where to buy those kinds of high end bottles Renato is the name of one that I can think of off the top of my head.

I just tried the wardrobe adding and it worked just fine. You should try it again and see what happens. I think it will work this time.