Code of Conduct
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hi everyone! i first came across this site about 5 days ago or so while looking up a fragrance... I thought to myself, "-WOW- there are forums to discuss notes in fragrances?? I will never be -that- obsessed. hahaha." Well, just a few days later after several trips to different malls and what seems like hundreds of reviews read and fragrances tested, and here I am! Guess I caught the frag bug pretty fast and hard! All i wanted was a new signature scent... and now I want more fragrances than I can afford to even test out...

Welcome & have fun, SlickTime!

Welcome! And now that the fragrance bug has bitten you, enjoy your time here at Basenotes where you're bound to become even more hooked!
    (1785)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome aboard, SlickTime

Hello, I am new here and happy to be a part of it. Hoping for getting good information for that I am here.

Hi & welcome, Terry_Dawson - hoping we can help you find the info.!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dawson View Post
    Hello, I am new here and happy to be a part of it. Hoping for getting good information for that I am here.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dawson View Post
    Welcome to you Terry Dawson! Enjoy your learning experience here at Basenotes!
    (1821)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hi, been lurking these forums for the last two months or so and decided to finally sign up! Seems like such a great informative community here

Welcome, kitkat19, hope you have fun here!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat19 View Post
    Hi, been lurking these forums for the last two months or so and decided to finally sign up! Seems like such a great informative community here
    It is . Glad to have you here kitkat19.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat19 View Post
    A warm welcome to you Kitkat19!

(1975)

Welcome to you all!

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say "What a great site" you guys have got - not really sure how I have managed to avoid it for so long.

Been reading in for nearly 3 months now and found so much of the info is really really helpful so thanks to all the contributors.

Uk based myself, which has always been tricky but been buying "better aftershaves/scents" for 30 years but still stand by old favorites like Oscar and Quorum that may not be high end but suit me fine.

Have got a few Creed (small bottles though) but hoping to increase that stock and hoping to find where other U.K members buy from.

Scary in here but hope to add to the site at least after a while.

Hi to Everyone. I found this site while trying to find some information on Must de Cartier which had been a favorite of mine for years until several years ago I went to buy a bottle and knew immediately it was no longer the same. I found some vintage items online, but had no idea if what I was about to ask Santa for would be what I remembered from long ago. Thanks to this site and some very knowledgeable posters who answered the same question by a poster back in 2007 I now have it again. After reading quite a few threads I realized how little I knew about scents and decided I had to join and learn from the best. Just wanted to say hi and how happy I am to be here.

Thanks,
    Jacee

Welcome, Jacee & SixCounties!

Welcome to Jacee & SixCounties! Enjoy your time here.

(2367)

Thanks hednic.

Thanks lpp

Hi, I am new here. This thread is very informative- Good Stuff! Are there any thread or topics that you can suggest and interesting to participate in? Thanks for any suggestions..

Hi & welcome, gooddeal123!
    There are some 'sticky threads at the top of this part of the Forum that are worth reading - topics/threads to join depend on your interests, so maybe read a few & see where you go.
    Have fun!

Welcome Gooddeal123! Just browse around and get your feet wet. You'll ultimately find something that draws you back!

(2560)

Thanks for your suggestions, Will check it out... Cheers! By the way, Happy New Year to all..

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Hi & welcome, gooddeal123!
    There are some 'sticky threads at the top of this part of the Forum that are worth reading - topics/threads to join depend on your interests, so maybe read a few & see where you go.
    Have fun!

Thank you. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
    Hi to Everyone. I found this site while trying to find some information on Must de Cartier which had been a favorite of mine for years until several years ago I went to buy a bottle and knew immediately it was no longer the same. I found some vintage items online, but had no idea if what I was about to ask Santa for would be what I remembered from long ago. Thanks to this site and some very knowledgeable posters who answered the same question by a poster back in 2007 I now have it again. After reading quite a few threads I realized how little I knew about scents and decided I had to join and learn from the best. Just wanted to say hi and how happy I am to be here.

Thanks,
    Jacee
    Great to have you here...

Basenotes Plus

Extending a warm welcome to SixCounties, Jacee, and gooddeal123

hi there new to this sort of thing but hopeing someone can help me out. just found out i am allergic to Lanolin and Limonene can anyone suggest any products i can use ?

Quote Originally Posted by gosgka View Post
    hi there new to this sort of thing but hopeing someone can help me out. just found out i am allergic to Lanolin and Limonene can anyone suggest any products i can use ?
    Welcome to you! I can't answer your question, but perhaps if you re-post this question in the DIY forum where there are many perfumers, perhaps you will get a useful and informative answer. David Ruskin, Chris Bartlett, and Paul Kiler are three very knowledgeable people there who could possibly shed more light on your concern. Good luck!

(2774)

I am amazed at how wonderful this discussion board is. But it has made me realise how much help I need. I am VERY new to the world of perfume and fragrances and I don't even know where to start. BUT I do know it's where I want to be.
    I would like a kit - but I don't know where to purchase one that is reliable, easy to use and high quality. I don't know the lingo yet but I have purchased some of Luca Turins books to help me with this.

Any advice I can get would be highly useful.

SOS Information needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    ... and welcome to Basenotes.

Often on the main discussion boards, there is a lot of talk about obscure and expensive fragrances and this can be quite overwhelming for a newcomer to the world of fragrance.

The "Just Starting Out" forum is designed to help people who are new to fragrances. You shouldn't be afraid to ask a question, no matter how silly it seems. We aim to provide a friendly area where people can come and learn. It should be a relaxed place but also very informative.

One very important point is helping out where ever you can. We should all try and think back to our early days in fragrance and think of the people who helped us out along the way. The "Just Starting Out" gives you a perfect opportunity to pass some of this information on.

Bear in mind that you are not obligated to post here if you are new to fragrances, but it is sometimes useful to converse with members at a similar level.

We will however sometimes move a thread into, or out of of this board, if we feel it is better suited or more likely to receive a better response elsewhere.

We hope that the "Just Starting" forum will be a gentle introduction to the wonderful world of perfumes. We also hope that some day in the future you will come back to help other users as they start their journey.

Thanks

Hello, new member here. I have been visiting the site for years, but never actually signed up to post. I love adding colognes to my collection and trying to pick out each of the notes. The site is fantastic and helps me discover new fragrances. I can't seem to figure out how to start a new thread so I figure I would ask here along with a brief introduction. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andROIDs View Post
    Hello, new member here. I have been visiting the site for years, but never actually signed up to post. I love adding colognes to my collection and trying to pick out each of the notes. The site is fantastic and helps me discover new fragrances. I can't seem to figure out how to start a new thread so I figure I would ask here along with a brief introduction. Thanks!
    Welcome to you! Enjoy your time here. Once you enter a forum at the top left, there is a horizontal dark blue cylindrical box that says "Post New Thread"

(2929)

Hi everybody,

Been browsing this site for 5-7 years now. Always loved different fragrances and the moods they evoke.
    I find fragrances and their purchase somewhat addictive, but I believe it's not the worse addiction to have
    I have a small collections of 7 fragrances with Terre d'Hermes being my favorite. I ordered a sample decant of Creed Aventus and A*men Pure Malt due to the hype and was amazed by the smell of those two. Decided to start saving some money so I can purchase these two fragrances among others. Might try going with some community splits to save money..

Glad there is a large community where users are so passionate about fragrances and share their experiences and opinions.

Hi & welcome, scentert & andROIDs!

Hi all, I'm very new to this site. Got to say that I love it! I love perfumes, love trying new scents, and have wanted to try mixing my own for ages. I've seen discussions on a few threads about samples, and what I'd like to know is, where do I go to get samples? I found a couple of places, but wasn't sure if they were good ones or ones to avoid - can anybody suggest some good sites to visit to find samples? People have also talked about mixing different scents - do you do this with samples, or is it just a way of trying new fragrances? Any advice gratefully received!

Hi & welcome, scenttastic!
    A lot of people buy samples from online stores (depending on which country they're in) or visit shops to sample from testers.
    Ebay is another place to find them but that's possibly more costly.
    Free samples may be less common than they were but some places, such as Luckyscent, send them with orders.
    Last edited by lpp; 17th January 2014 at 08:26 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by scenttastic View Post
    Hi all, I'm very new to this site. Got to say that I love it! I love perfumes, love trying new scents, and have wanted to try mixing my own for ages. I've seen discussions on a few threads about samples, and what I'd like to know is, where do I go to get samples? I found a couple of places, but wasn't sure if they were good ones or ones to avoid - can anybody suggest some good sites to visit to find samples? People have also talked about mixing different scents - do you do this with samples, or is it just a way of trying new fragrances? Any advice gratefully received!

Welcome to Basenotes, scenttastic

Ausliebezumduft are reputable, efficient, and have a wide range of samples available for order.

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/marken/

Welcome to you Scenttastic! Enjoy your time here on Basenotes.

(3121)

Hello dear Basenoters, ciao a tutti

After many years of stalking and soaking up this wonderful site, I've finally joined. Thanks for having me.

Warmest wishes to you all
    Lisa

Hi Lisa - and welcome!

Hope you enjoy being here

Thanks dear Lpp for your warm welcome. What a beautiful fragrance wardrobe you have. It would seem you are a devoted Amouagian. I didn't think I would ever have perfume-envy...but I now do Glad to have "met" you and to now be part of this amazing site.

Thanks, Lisa - my collection is pretty modest for here

Which of yours are your favourites?

A modest response Your beautiful bottle collection adds another dimension to it all. I have so many favourites, it's difficult to say, and although I used to have a so-called signature fragrance, I oscillate now. In winter, Coco and Mitsouko are what I wear mostly and in summer I love Eau d'Hadrien and Elie Saab le Parfum, Reading Basenotes in recent times has opened my eyes to Amouage and finally we can test it in selected department stores here in the city (Sydney). So if I can sneak a bottle of this nectar past my husband without him noticing the price tag, I will

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa DP View Post

After many years of stalking and soaking up this wonderful site, I've finally joined. Thanks for having me.

Lisa
    Welcome to you! Enjoy your time here on Basenotes.

(3268)

Basenotes Plus

Lisa

Delighted to have you on board, Lisa

A modest response Your beautiful bottle collection adds another dimension to it all. I have so many favourites, it's difficult to say, and although I used to have a so-called signature fragrance, I oscillate now. In winter, Coco and Mitsouko are what I wear mostly and in summer I love Eau d'Hadrien and Elie Saab le Parfum, Reading Basenotes in recent times has opened my eyes to Amouage and finally we can test it in selected department stores here in the city (Sydney). So if I can sneak a bottle of this nectar past my husband without him noticing the price tag, I will
    Good luck doing that, although Amouage, in common with other brands, have changed most of the old ones a bit in recent years.
    Mitsouko is always lovely!

Thank you Hednic and Jon Rodgers. I feel very welcome here already. Considering that in the past 5 years I have never bought a perfume without consulting Basenotes, joining was inevitable.

Lpp - yes, even with my meagre knowledge of perfumes, I've had 23 years of wearing them to have noticed the difference in formulations. It's something that's been reinforced on Basenotes and elsewhere too. My biggest heartbreak was what they did to so many - including my old haunts Le Must De Cartier and Caleche, and dare I say it, Shalimar . Unless big money is parted with, those halcyon days are just a dream for me.

I'm really impressed with the knowledge you all have. Being so technical, It's almost scientific and yet so passionate. You've got to respect that.

Thanks once again
    Lisa
    Last edited by Lisa DP; 23rd January 2014 at 10:38 AM.

Wow, Lisa - another Caleche fan

It was my first scent & has always been with me since!
    (Not the new stuff 'though)

First post. I just developed an interest in fragrances as a spin off from my interest in high end wet shaving products. I enjoyed the nice creams but they aren't really meant to have a lasting scent I guess. I've never been a regular fragrance wearer and don't think I've ever spent more that $50 for a fragrance. Trying to find a nice scent or two that will be versatile. Got a decant of GIT and I really like it. Found the treads on fakes informative so hopefully I can steer clear of that. And notice please that i didn't start a "is my $10 decant real" thread. You're welcome. I might order a large bottle of that from fragrancenet. Any suggestion for other decants or samples I should try to track down. I'm a 45 yo married man. Not a particularly fancy dress kind of guy but I'm a realtor so my attire is usually a business casual slacks and sport shirt. Maybe a jacket if the weather in Memphis is cool enough. Definitely not a suit and tie guy if I can avoid it.
    Jeff
    Using Tapatalk

an old Caleche fan - in every sense - in that I'm old and that I love the old Caleche. Lucky you owning it, and as much as I love it, am quietly impressed that it was your first fragrance. It was never an "easy" perfume, kind of complicated and something I'd never have handled as a Learner Driver, if you know what I mean. So I take my hat off. What they've done to the new formulation should be a war crime and tried in The Hague. Even attempting Kelly Caleche made me sad

Hello,

I am Javed Khaanzada from Pakistan, recently got interest in essential oils, oin this forum to get fruitful tips from friends.

Regds-Javed

Hi Javed - suggest reading some of the 'Sticky' threads in the DIY section to start with - good luck!

This is a useful one.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/158...-(Version-1-0)

Thanks.
    Regds- Javed

hey people!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BradV View Post
    hey people!
    Welcome BradV

Welcome, BradV - hope you enjoy yourself here!

Welcome to you BradV! Enjoy your time on Basenotes.

(3548)

Brand new as a member here. I have lurked on here at times and have been interested in all the fun topics. Wondering if anyone can help me identify/find what has turned out to be an obscure cologne that I've never found anywhere else. Several years ago I was in El Salvador and was shopping with a friend (who was local) who recommended I buy a bottle of cologne. It was a Puig that I thought was called "I". That's what was on the front of the bottle.

I have never been able to find it again here in the U.S., have never found anyone who had even heard of it, and haven't seen it on any of Puig's lists of cologne.

Does anybody have any idea what it was I got.

It was the best smelling cologne I've ever had. I've seen the "I want a Central/Latin American cologne" thread from a couple years ago, and agree, that I really like some of their colognes.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings everyone. At 54, I didn't think I needed help with fragrance, but here I am. I've been wearing some form of fragrance my entire life, but have become increasingly frustrated by my inability to find fragrances that appeal to me. Have I changed? Has the world of fragrance changed? Am I expecting too much? I decided to join the forum to explore these questions, learn from others, and broaden my perspective.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiane View Post
    Greetings everyone. At 54, I didn't think I needed help with fragrance, but here I am. I've been wearing some form of fragrance my entire life, but have become increasingly frustrated by my inability to find fragrances that appeal to me. Have I changed? Has the world of fragrance changed? Am I expecting too much? I decided to join the forum to explore these questions, learn from others, and broaden my perspective.

You've come to the right place