Code of Conduct
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 961 to 1,020 of 1170

Default Re: Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Hey I just joined this site yesterday!

I've always loved scents and have raided B&BW shelves, drugstore fragrances, and my mother's unused fragrances for some time before venturing out into the more high end fragrances.
    Needless to say, I am getting hooked. Unfortunately, none of my friends or family members are really into fragrances at all so I had to hope that there was some online community out there that could help me out and give me some seasoned advice!

That's how I came across this site and I've already found it to be really helpful. Ha...unfortunately now there are many perfumes I am dying to try out that I can in no way afford on my current income from my part time job(still a student!).

I am moving out of the States after graduating this spring though, so hopefully access to perfumes won't be greatly hindered at my new place!

My current new perfume is Burberry classic for women.

Welcome Georgiane! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I am new to the site- where do I start? Is there a good way to see a catalogue of the discussion so I can jump in? So many!!!

THx
    rrio

Basenotes Plus

Welcome rrio

This is a link to the main Forum view - clicking on any of the sub.Forums will show a list of current threads.
    http://www.basenotes.net/forum.php

Or, this is a link to threads with new posts today - see the 'Quick Links' drop down in the black line across the top of the page.
    http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=20759488

hi i'm Falah and i just found out about this site. really cool with lots of useful topics to read. more power!

Welcome to you Falah21! Enjoy your time here on Basenotes. There's so much great info here.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes falah21 - indulge and enjoy !

Fantastic site.
    Have thoroughly pillaged the review section for a while before joining.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome, zygalski & Falah

Hello Everyone.

My name's Dragg. I'm from Bristol England. New on here and hoping to learn alot more in the world of fragrances. I love collecting fragrances, body wash and colognes infact, i'm addictive to the hobby. Currently, I have a little wardrobe of woody scents and vetivers. Hoping to increase that along the line.

Anyway, just thought i say hello as i look forward to meeting and making new friends.

Cheers guys.

Welcome to you draggnation! Enjoy your time here on Basenotes.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome, Dragg - enjoy your time here

Thanks Guys

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by zygalski View Post
    Fantastic site.
    Have thoroughly pillaged the review section for a while before joining.
    A veritable mine of information - hope it's been useful.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th April 2014 at 03:49 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by draggnation View Post
    Hello Everyone.

My name's Dragg. I'm from Bristol England. New on here and hoping to learn alot more in the world of fragrances. I love collecting fragrances, body wash and colognes infact, i'm addictive to the hobby. Currently, I have a little wardrobe of woody scents and vetivers. Hoping to increase that along the line.

Anyway, just thought i say hello as i look forward to meeting and making new friends.

Cheers guys.
    Glad to have you with us, Dragg.

Ok guys, i need your help here.

Forgive my ignorance if this question has an answer somewhere in a thread but i have done the search for close to 2hours and not come up with anything similiar...here it goes.

I see there are a lot of sale offers related to CONUS only which i believe stands for Continental United States. Also, i read up (which i've been so oblivious to the fact before now) that shipping to or from countries you are non-resident in causes major setbacks/problems to the extent your packages can get seized, withdrawn or destroyed (oh boy, if that happened to a Safari of mine i would go and bonkers).

Now the thing is i have seen and at least PM'd three members on here on intent to purchase; and sadly all three are CONUS. I have looked possibly for UK members who could have the stock of those i have PM'd and they don't! Yet, i want these fragrances so bad (due to affordable pricing and volume) and I do not want to have stories of my fragrance after payment is made being lost, damaged or destroyed.

I have a relative who resides in Dallas cos of her husband and visits home frequently. Would there be anything wrong or it against the laws/rules of this forum if i have my fragrances delivered to her when i make CONUS purchases? Pls advice me on this before i get done for!

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

I'm guessing there are no mods here who have seen this to reply to....over 24hrs now

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by draggnation View Post
    Ok guys, i need your help here.

Forgive my ignorance if this question has an answer somewhere in a thread but i have done the search for close to 2hours and not come up with anything similiar...here it goes.

I see there are a lot of sale offers related to CONUS only which i believe stands for Continental United States. Also, i read up (which i've been so oblivious to the fact before now) that shipping to or from countries you are non-resident in causes major setbacks/problems to the extent your packages can get seized, withdrawn or destroyed (oh boy, if that happened to a Safari of mine i would go and bonkers).

Now the thing is i have seen and at least PM'd three members on here on intent to purchase; and sadly all three are CONUS. I have looked possibly for UK members who could have the stock of those i have PM'd and they don't! Yet, i want these fragrances so bad (due to affordable pricing and volume) and I do not want to have stories of my fragrance after payment is made being lost, damaged or destroyed.

I have a relative who resides in Dallas cos of her husband and visits home frequently. Would there be anything wrong or it against the laws/rules of this forum if i have my fragrances delivered to her when i make CONUS purchases? Pls advice me on this before i get done for!

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.
    Hi Drag - sorry for missing your post.

Shipping to someone else would be a private arrangement between yourself & the seller - although Paypal expect goods to be delivered to the purchaser's registered address afaik, so maybe your relative would agree to pay on your behalf?

It's probably something that some people may agree to do & others may not.

Maybe someone who sells on here could comment please.

Default Welcome to Just Starting Out...

Greetings all,

After brief lurk decided to reg. Finn, pushing towards fifty, juggling family, work and hobbies like most of us.

I try to chose my fraqrance to fit mood, purpose and occasion. Can't really say how well that works

Anyway, for the past 18 months this has been my arsenal of from which choices are made:

Laura Biagiotti Roma - for office, winter, always worn when commuting with my favorite modern Fiat. Steady scent that I've used since '90ties

John Varvatos Artisan Black - for office and general mixed days of no clear purpose. Bought this for commuting with truck, wearing baseball hats, manual labour, eating burgers and gym, but found it more suitable for these.

Giorgo Armani Attitude Extreme - yet another office scent but this is more for serious play, also for fun days with my diesel engined old Italian. Additionally this is good for going under heavy bars or pulling till eyes pop

Aqua di Parma - summer, Italy, old Alfa Romeos, personal classic I've used come summertime for more than a decade. Espresso is stronger and grappa fiercer with this

Laura Biagiotti Venezia - my party scent. Again used this for ages, tried for office usage in early nineties but moved it for special usage only. Still love this, makes me feel like a Venetian lord

Paco Rabane 1Million - for some reason this is my current cowboy/country scent. Dunno why, but for me this works with boots, in rain, slush and in the cabin of an old Chevy truck. Guess this is the scent I'm starting to seek for replacement in near future

Cadillac - reserved for use in open top Caddy only. Brash and bold but I do like it

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino - summer, classic bicycles used for going for breakfast, tea, espresso, pint of lager or aperol

Truefitt & Hill 1805 - UK, this is the scent that must be in in the air when Land Rover is started or a book starring ACD's Mr Holmes is opened. Also favorite for starting fire and lounging inside during damp autumn days and slaving away in the gym.

Amistad - makers name escapes for now. Picked this from Grasse last summer. I use this when I'm in a mood for modern Italy and France, for driving and enjoying "modern" Alfas, pizza and Moretti (Brunello requires AdP, methinks).

So, main reason for signing in is my interest in enhancing my daily life with scents, and this seemed like the place where attitude is friendly and expertice runs deep.

-Mark
    Last edited by Mark_Trail; 21st April 2014 at 08:27 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Hi Mark & welcome

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes, Mark. Nice line-up you've got there .

Welcome to you Mark. Enjoy your time on Basenotes!

Recently made my first purchase on here and its been sluggish and impolite communication all through. I would wait till package gets delivered before i rant the truth some more. Big shame.

Hi all...my name is arie from Australia...I am new to this forum..so I would like to say hello and hopefully I can learn some things about fragrances a bit more from this forum...

Cheers guys!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome akristian

Welcome to you Akristian! Enjoy your time here.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome akristian

Hello everyone,

I'm French and new to the fragrance game this forum really helps me out a lot.

I own :
    Amen
    Le Male (& the clone Sexy boy by Jeanne Arthes),
    Sunrise Franck Olivier by Franck Olivier (A&F clone, only 1 sotre in my country)
    Unforgivable by Sean John
    Versace Pour Homme

Last edited by fido; 30th May 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome, fido - hope you enjoy yourself here

Basenotes Plus

Welcome aboard, fido

Thanks

Welcome to you Fido! Enjoy your time here!

Hi everyone,

I've started visiting this forum since 2006 I believe and more frequently in the last 2 years. Only a few days a go I registered to become an active member
    Anyway, I now wanted to proper introduce myself to all of you...

Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

Hi & welcome, _Cristi_

Basenotes Plus

Welcome _Cristi_

Glad to have you on board

Welcome to you Cristi! Enjoy your time here on Basenotes!

After lurking here for a couple months I finally joined. After working at a place for nearly 30 years that didnt allow perfumes to be worn, I was laid off a couple years ago.. I quickly got a lot of scents of ebay and other discount places (think thrift stores and yard sales lol) mostly cheapies like avon, drug store, celeb stuff.. I quite like most of them but now I am trying to figure out what determines what I like & dislike about them so I can splurge on higher end brands. As I'm using Basenotes to cataloge my scents and search out others to try, I'm trying to contribute with reviews and adding missing scents. I'm excited to be here and so far having lots of fun & learning. Thanks for having this site available! - Linda from the hot California valley
    Last edited by MadKat; 12th June 2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: adding forgotten data

It's great to have you MadKat, welcome!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome MadKat

Welcome MadKat!

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Hello.
    Just joined, after lurking for a bit. I actually don't wear perfume much, most commercial perfumes make me very nauseated, whether I like them or not - it's a physical reaction, maybe an allergy to one or more common ingredients. I do like and sometimes wear Chanel Antaeus (I know, I'm gender confused). I also like Magie Noire by Lancome, but it's rather strong so I only wear it on occasional nights out. Very occasionally. My bottles is from... what, late 1990s, early 2000s maybe? Still oodles left!
    I've always loved using my nose though; maybe that's why I don't like dousing myself in fragrance, come to think of it, makes it harder to smell other things. I like cooking, and have always tended to sniff things on nature walks, enjoying and focusing on that sense fully as much as visual and other inputs. I've also enjoyed smelling the occasional essential oil, like rosemary and lavender, though I never used them much, not sure why.
    My sudden desire, and instant obsession, with mixing my own fragrances came as a bit of a surprise. I believe my boyfriend actually sparked it, having tried a few fragrances on his way home from a short business trip and realizing he misses wearing fragrances at least occasionally (on account of my getting intensely nauseated by what he used to wear when we met ... sorry ><, he never found something he liked quite enough since). I can't quite recall how we got to the "let's mix our own" thing, but the enthusiasm for the idea was mutual and immediate. So here I am! I've already collected a nice little starter package of sample-size absolutes and essential oils, many I was familiar with from the natural material, some not. Living "urban" now, I grew up very "rural" in a family that enjoys gardening, cooking, nature walks and all sorts of plant-related crafts like dyeing textiles with plants, fungi, etc, so I've been exposed/educated to quite a few Latin names LOL - My introduction to oakmoss for instance was as a natural, and very colorfast, dark amber dye my mom used/uses on wool... the scent actually lingers pleasantly in the garment for decades. Still a favorite note of mine, finding it in a bottle was like meeting an old friend. Still awaiting my perfumer's alcohol, which I finally found a source for (no Everclear in Massachusetts!), so I can start diluting and mixing. Or mixing and diluting. A bit of both probably. Basenotes was quite useful for finding trustworthy vendors, so thanks already! So far I'm going with natural sources only, because I have yet to meet one that makes me nauseated, so my working hypothesis is that some synthetic(s) is/are to blame in the commercial fragrances. More modern "fresh" fragrances are typically the worst. Vintage, as far as I have tried (which is not much), seem safe enough. An oceanic like Dior's Dune is the death of me.
    One thing that has surprised me is that I have not come across the use of professional/scientific precision pipettes to measure out ingredients. As a scientist, drops seem unworkably imprecise at least for experimenting with small batches (and knowing the proportions well enough to reproduce). I realize they are pricey equipment so that's probably why (I have access at work so lucky me). Then again, I wouldn't think of using a microgram scale and a pipette for measuring out cooking spices, so maybe my science nerd approach is quite silly!
    Let's see how long this obsession lasts, but knowing me, it may be a rather chronic condition. In any case, for now I look forward to "playing with my new toys" some more after my initial paper strip sniffing and note taking of the individual notes and a few gathered strip "combos". It will be fun to experience how mixing is different from this simple juxtaposition of the notes. First thing I will mix is a base of oakmoss, cedarwood, vetiver, and amber! (if I can coax the fossil amber to mix in alcohol, which apparently is not really doable... that would be too bad if I can't find and alcohol-soluble amber...). Some rose absolute will be thrown in there too ( I like the Egypt absolute from Eden Botanicals). Probably very very standard so far, but I care not. Whether anything good comes out of my "playing" shall have to be empirically determined!

Whoa... that was long winded. I promise most posts will be much briefer ;-)

Basenotes Plus

Hi & welcome, ProfessorBats

There's loads of info. on perfume making in our DIY section and there was a recent thread about scales.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Welcome to you ProfessorBats! Hope you can find and create something that you can live with and from which you can derive pleasure.

[QUOTE=lpp;3177479]Hi & welcome, ProfessorBats

There's loads of info. on perfume making in our DYI forum [quote removed b/c new members can't use links] and there was a recent thread about scales [link removed]

Thank you. Yes, I've lurked the DIY forums before joining, lots of good stuff :-) I did not know professional perfumery worked by w/w, that's interesting. Some of the ingredients look definitely too thick to pipette well (and the less heating the better for preserving these costly resources) so that makes sense, even before you get to the powders.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome ProfessorBats . Appreciate the introduction and the fascinating debut post. Delighted to have you with us here (the obsession will be chronic - rest assured ).

Hello I'm Aaricia and I'm a perfumista.

To be honnest, this is the 2nd time I register. First time, I can't explain why, I was banned after few days... The e-mail I got to explain only said "spam". I only posted 4 messages & they where not spam, so I don't understand why my first account was banned. I would like to understand to issue, because I don't want to be banned again : Can it be because I openned 5 or 6 internet sheets from basenotes simultaneous on my google chrome ?? I did it because I wanted to read the posts...

Welcome Aaricia! Glad to have you back. Hopefully you'll find out what caused that to happen.

Hello everyone,
    Just joined today and already I am learning alot. This seems like an awesome forum and I hope to one day contribute.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Welcome to you platano80! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome platano80

I just started out meditating. I've been reading a book by Lodro Rinzler, and I really want to make meditation a part of my life. I want to find myself and align myself. And then I want to help the world, as cliche as that sounds. Anyways, any pointers and tips would be greatly appreciated as I'm just starting out.

Welcome to you kimb! Enjoy your time on Basenotes.

Just joined after lurking for a while. Really appreciate the variety of posts on fragrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to you mlrevinit! Enjoy your time on Basenotes!
    Last edited by hednic; 20th July 2014 at 02:35 AM.

Basenotes Member
    200 Roosevelt Place Palisades Park, NJ 07650

Welcome!!!!

I finally registered after reading all of the great posts on this forum for the past 6 months or so. I have actually been into fragrances for a long time, but over the years slowly lost interest. The past few months I really got into it again after getting some really fine scents for my birthday. Then I started searching out fragrances for reviews and comments online...and landed here.
    I always search on this site first when I need info on newer and older colognes I didn't even know about. Anyhow, I am glad to be actually posting here now!!

Welcome to you 7dev! Hope you continue to enjoy your time here.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome aboard 7dev

Hi,

I visit Basenotes for many years because my love for perfumes. It began when I first smelled a vintage Arpege some 40 years ago.

Even before, smell was an important part of my “umwelt”: the smell of the blooming cherry trees in the spring, the smell of earth in an oak forest, that of the river bank in the summer, etc. are some of my strongest and vivid memories.

I was fortunate to work for many years in labs of chemical ecology and so, have exposure to literature and aroma chemicals. I also discovered that I am para-/hypo-/an-osmic to some important compounds and hyper-osmic to others. Although it became clear to me that I am in the position of a colorblind person in a gallery full of paintings, I continue to be interested in perfumery, read about perfumes, experiment (fool around) with perfumery raw materials, with a focus on fragrances classification, and lately even registered to the site.

I did not post until now for several reasons. I didn’t have enough firsthand experience to share, and most of the questions I had were already asked. Also a nasty dysgraphia combined with the fact that English is not my first language, didn’t help either. However, my obsessive-compulsive temper sometimes overcomes the barriers and I feel a strong drive to go into some discussions. So, please don’t take irregular posts as attempts of trolling.

arion