Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello from newbie

This journey started out about 1 week ago when a renewed interest in fragrances developed after a many year absence. The start was probably somewhat unusual as it all started with a shaving topic. As I got somewhat fed up with the high cost of replacement cartridges, I took a left turn into the realm of wet shaving and rediscovered the joys of the double edge safety razor, the badger brush, fine soaps and creams, as well as fragrances. The main shaving boards all have cologne rooms where the gents typically discuss mostly traditional British scents (for example, the three T's, C&E, Penhaligons, etc. ) See http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2128 for a sampling from Badger and Blade.

As one thing let to another, I ended up at Macy's with my wife to try a few frags and ended up with Reaction and Spark Seduction. Soon there were trips to Marshalls, TJ Max, and Burlington to see what discounts were available. Today's purchase was Azzaro PH at Burlington. I've spent some time reading the various posts here, and on the more seasoned male fragrance room. Look's like the next course of action will be trying to obtain some decants. This could get addicting ,and maybe embarrassing, as I know have more scents then my wife. She does have more clothes and shoes though!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello from newbie

Welcome schatz32! You know, you can get your wife started on this site as well. Both of you can share the addiction. Have fun at Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome!! Sounds like you know some stuff. You'll learn a lot more here though.

EnvYuS

Welcome aboard schatz32!
    Maybe you can make a challenge between your scents budget and your wife shoes budget...
    Hoping you're very very very rich... ;D

Mag

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Sounds like you've quickly reached that "slippery slope!" Don't worry, many of us have too! Decants are definitely a way to go. They don't require nearly the commitment of funds or space as full bottles, and they are imminently tradeable (if they are spray atomizers). I would suggest taking a measured, methodical approach, but that course of action totally went out the window within the first month of my joining this forum! Have fun and I'll look forward to more of your posts.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. I'm sure I have much to learn and have just scratched the surface of this fascinating new interest. Today I'm going with "variety is the spice of life principle and wearing Kevin Cole Sensation" after yesterday's first experience with the more manly Azzaro PH. The scent of the Azzaro sure didn't last long compared to others in my wardrobe.

One topic I'm thinking about today is the seasonlity issue. If a scent smells differently as it reacts with your specific chemistry, and if this chemistry is seasonal, then wearing a winter frag in the summer might not be fair trail for the scent. This point is being made on the shaving boards as Badger and Blade is just starting a decanting program. Seems many folks are requesting the heavier winter scents and the more experienced members are gently guiding them back to more appropriate and lighter spring and summer products. As an example, one of the products I wish to try is the leathery Knize Ten. Do you think it's best to wait for the colder weather on this one?

As an aside, one of my wife's colleagues told her about using lavender essential oil (full strength) to mitigate seasonal allergies. I've been trying the approach the past week or so and it seems to be helping. Almost anything is healthier than decongestants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schatz32
    *As an example, one of the products I wish to try is the leathery Knize Ten. Do you think it's best to wait for the colder weather on this one? * *

As an aside, one of my wife's colleagues told her about using lavender essential oil (full strength) to mitigate seasonal allergies. I've been trying the approach the past week or so and it seems to be helping. Almost anything is healthier than decongestants.
    In answer to the Knize Ten question, yes--wait for cooler weather or wear it on cool evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus

In answer to the Knize Ten question, yes--wait for cooler weather or wear it on cool evenings.
    Or a formal event.