Code of Conduct

Default Just can't find that exceptional scent

Hi all,

My compliments on the great website, it has a ton of information!

I've recently been looking around for some nice fragrances, online, in store's, samples, etc. And I just can't seem to find the "right" fragrance for me. I'm basicly looking for one I can wear casually to work/school and another I can wear out on a friday/saturday evening.

I recently bought a bottle of Chrome by Azzaro, the sample smelled lovely and alot of people on this site seemed to like it and recommend it as a "young and fresh" (I'm 20) fragrance. The thing is, after wearing it a couple of days now, it just isn't "strong" enough, I find it too light and it doesn't last long on me. The scent also seems a bit "too fresh" for me although I find it a pleasant scent (not a big fan of the citrus I must say).

I can't really explain what I'm looking for but everything that I've sampled in a perfume shop just didn't cut it. I'm looking for a fragrance that is "clean", Mysterious (something "the cool guy" would wear - that sounds lame ), not too light, suitable for my age(20) and long lasting.

Hope someone can recommend something that might suit me!

Thanks,
    Peter

Default Re: Just can't find that exceptional scent

Hey peter, welcome to basnotes.

I'm 20 as well, so maybe we'll have similar preferences. I think you'll like Gucci Envy, especially for wearing out on the weekends. It isn't light, it's spicy, woody, and smells awesome. I think you'll like orientals in general, since you seem to be not like Fresh scents as much. I think you should also try out Dior Homme. It's a bit floral and sweet, but I like this scent a lot. I just wore it for a week straight last week. If I were to pick a signature scent, I would probalby choose that at the moment. Good luck on your decision, and remember to try out the scents before you buy! Hope you have a good basenotes experience!

Something stronger and longer lasting than Chrome would be between Cool Water and Geir. They are both outstanding smells and they are perfect for the upcomming summer. I would test those out on your skin in the store and see if they are what you are looking for.

Geir is a little bit more high end though. It is and EDP as well. You will need to use less but it lasts for ages and it has become my favorite summer smell. It is just perfectly made.

Cool Water is something you can't go wrong with. It is way less expensive than Geir and always gets me compliments. I am not a person who gets compliments so that is a big thing.

I am a little baffled about Chrome. I own it and I think it is way too strong at times and I don't really apply that much to my skin. I think it lasts forever and smells so great.

Well I hope you like Geir or Cool Water. Those are two exceptional scents to me...

EnvYuS

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Hey peter, welcome to basnotes.

I'm 20 as well, so maybe we'll have similar preferences. I think you'll like Gucci Envy, especially for wearing out on the weekends. It isn't light, it's spicy, woody, and smells awesome. I think you'll like orientals in general, since you seem to be not like Fresh scents as much. I think you should also try out Dior Homme. It's a bit floral and sweet, but I like this scent a lot. I just wore it for a week straight last week. If I were to pick a signature scent, I would probalby choose that at the moment. Good luck on your decision, and remember to try out the scents before you buy! Hope you have a good basenotes experience!
    I have a bottle of Envy, I like it alot, when I smell I think that this is a fragrance that someone who is wealthy, sophisticated, and educated should wear. I'm 24 and my top three are Le Male, the Paris Hilton cologne, and Dolce and Gabbana for him.

Thanks alot for the replies, very helpfull.

I will definatly have to go and ask for a sample of Le Male and Envy, both sound like they could be something I want.

I've read alot around here about Geir, and it sounds like just what I'm looking for. Sadly enough I can't find it anywhere online in a holland-based store. I'll have to go look for a shop offline that sells it.

Also, you might want to check out Armani Mania Pour Homme.

Have you tried Essenza di Zegna? While not an 80s-type powerhouse, this is a very nice fresh/citrus/spice scent in a typical pleasing Italian style. In addition, I think that the fairly new Bulgari Aqua could work well for you. It is quite long-lasting, with a salty marine character on top of the Bulgari house tea note. I was surprised at how well I liked this one, because I otherwise do not care for many of the aquatic types.

Jeff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter
    Thanks alot for the replies, very helpfull.

I will definatly have to go and ask for a sample of Le Male and Envy, both sound like they could be something I want.

I've read alot around here about Geir, and it sounds like just what I'm looking for. Sadly enough I can't find it anywhere online in a holland-based store. I'll have to go look for a shop offline that sells it.
    If Le Male turns out to be one you love may I respectfully recommend The Body Shop Javari which is a spicier. sexier less sweet version of the same scent.
    With all of these scents I would recommend that discretion is key and that you do not over apply.

Enjoy!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Thanks for the various suggestions, I will definatly add "The Body Shop Javari" and "Essenza di Zegna" to my list of things to try as I've never heard of them.

I honestly am not such a fan of Le Male, It smells very generic to me, probably because so many people wear it over here.

I've sampled Envy recently and loved it and I have 2 Geir samples being sent to me which I'm REALLY looking forward too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    Have you tried Essenza di Zegna? While not an 80s-type powerhouse, this is a very nice fresh/citrus/spice scent in a typical pleasing Italian style. In addition, I think that the fairly new Bulgari Aqua could work well for you. It is quite long-lasting, with a salty marine character on top of the Bulgari house tea note. I was surprised at how well I liked this one, because I otherwise do not care for many of the aquatic types.

Jeff
    I am not sure what 20 years old in Holland wear, but I agree that Bulgari Aqua PH is a great scent. It's a nice change from Chrome, which i wear to work alot. While you are there, you might want to sample CK Eternity Summer for Men. It's another good daytime scent.

I sampled Envy and bought it, will try it out tomorrow, but from the sample it's definitely a great evening option. I'm not sure if it's too "old" for you, but Armani Black Code gets alot of compliments as well.

Hi Peter,

Welcome to our side of the world .

If you need a sample of Geir email me at maisondeparfum@ij.net. I have mailed samples to Europe. (This is free).

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Blog Entries

I second CK Eternity Summer! I just picked this one up about a month ago & am loving the heck out of it. Also, try Creed Original Vetiver. It's very clean and soapy & lasts forever! It's a very unique frag.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

If you're going to test Le male, don't forget to test Guerlain L'Instant too!