Code of Conduct
o

Default Newb looking for a good Prom Dance fragrance

Hey
    Total newb here (male). Only experience I have with cologne is Adidas Moves that I got as a gift. Didn't like it so I never really used it. Now, however I'd like to start using some. This is especially true because I have prom coming up. I'm looking for a fragrance that will last through the whole schbeal (sp?) ie pictures, limo, dance, etc, but I don't want it to be too overpowering since I will be in close quarters with my date (dancing consists of basically grinding and slow dancing). It's obviously spring and the weather here in IL has been pretty weird, we hit 87F today but are back in the 60's for the rest of the week so i don't know what it will be like for prom 3 weeks from now (however don't forget that at the dance it gets pretty warm).

We're just going as friends for right now and I'm leaning towards something a little sophisticated/classy since that reflects my date's personality as well as mine (I'm 18 if age makes any difference), but don't want it to be boring or unstylish. Something that also attracts the interests of the lady would be great. 8-)

Basically need some suggestions!

Thanks,
    JayBlay77

Default Re: Newb looking for a good Prom Dance fragrance

These were the first two scents that came to mind after reading your needs:

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme - It starts off with a prominent citrus note very similar to sweet lemon. It's sharp and catchy, but it stays clean. As it develops over time, it evolves into a tobacco note. It's not a stale tobacco note that smells like burned cigars. It's a pleasant and rich tobacco note that doesn't offend.

Gucci Envy - It's sweet and spicy. It has notes of nutmeg and cedar. This is a very romantic scent that is perfect for close encounters. After a few hours, it becomes somewhat musky and a little powdery, but it always retains its soft sweetness. Staying power is average on skin, but if sprayed on your clothes, it will last well into the next day without a doubt.

I'm 22 yrs old so I have a pretty good recollection of what it was like to be 18.

First, I would like to say Welcome!

Second, is that I had no idea teflon was 22. His knowledge makes him seem 52...

I would second his choice for Gucci Envy. Woody with a little bit of spice to make it just right. It is a romantic scent that dries down to a vanilla base, which most women I know LOVE. It is very inexpensive and easy to find, which is good because you are buying this just for the occasion. Buy online, not in the stores... you'll save a lot of money. There are threads here about the sites you can use but if you can't find it them PM me and I'll send you some links...

There are more classy scents that I could suggest but they are expensive and you would have a hard time aquiring them. Envy is perfect for what you need IMO. I'm 18 as well (going on 19 in August) but I never went to my Prom. I wish I could tell you what I wore. It probably would have been Envy. It was my first really amazing fragrance and I hope you like it... Enjoy the prom...

EnvYuS

Hey guys
    Thanks for the replies so far. Definitely leaning towards Gucci Envy. It was on my original "thinking about it" list. My next question though is what's the staying power of Envy? I don't want to go through all the pre-prom stuff only to get halfway through the dance and have it fade away to nothing. Should I keep a bit with me to refresh the scent or will it be fine through the night. Also how much do you usually apply? I don't want to completely stuff my date's nose up with the smell but also don't want it to be completely unnoticable. I'll probably have to do my own tests too, but input from the knowledgeable is great.

Thanks Again
    JayBlay

Everyone always raves about the longevity of Envy, but, at the beginning, I thought I didn't have the proper skin chemistry. On further testing, I did find that, on drydown, Envy stays very close to the skin and does have decent longevity. In order to smell it though, one has to be very close to you. I would say I get about 6 hours or so from the scent. I usually wear 1 or 2 sprays. 2 for a long day, and 1 just for my own enjoyment. You can always reapply, but the trick is, you don't want to wear too much. The first sprays of Envy can become very stuffy, especially if you are in close proximity with a lot of other people, but the drydown is a lot smoother. Hope this helps you, good luck with your decision.

Oh yeah,

[move]Welcome to Basenotes![/move]

Good suggestions but I'd like to add Geir Ness EDP.

I'm busy right now doing some work, so I can't really talk too much but hopefully someone else can back me up.
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicola

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    Good suggestions but I'd like to add Geir Ness EDP.

I'm busy right now doing some work, so I can't really talk too much but hopefully someone else can back me up.
    I will back this up fully. It is a great scent and perfect for a Prom. You will smell sophisticated and crisp the whole time. It is and EDP so you don't even need that much. Great stuff all around.

The one flaw is that it is so expensive. Since you are in HS and are trying to get something specifically for the prom it would make sense to buy this 75 dollar bottle. If you really like it then I think this one would be a great investment but don't rush into anything because we tell you that you should think this is good.

I happened to suggest this to another member who was going to a prom. I don't know how his went or if he went yet but I deffinately think that this is another great choice if you have the money.

Sorry if I am confusing you. I told you that Envy was a good choice and now I say that Geir is. I chose Envy because I was thinking of money as well. Geir would be my choice if you want to spend a lot more... It is all up to your nose so make sure you give these two a good long sniff... ;D

EnvYuS

If the weather is on the cool side on the day of your prom, try Zino Davidoff. It's one of the best oriental colognes I've ever smelt. There is nothing on the face of the universe that smells like it.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

JayBlay