Code of Conduct
    Hawaii2NewYork

Default Recommend fragrance for boyfriend?

I posted this on the men's board but realized it might be better suited to this board....

Hi,

I hope this isn't TOO redundant, but I couldn't find a thread that exactly matched my question...

I am just getting started with my fragrance obsession, and I'd like to find something for my boyfriend too.

He has worn Polo Sport for as long as I've known him. It smells great on him, but hasn't worn it for while; which I assume is because he is tired of it or finds it "dated."

I think he would like a preppy/fresh fragrance in the same vein but since I'm not familiar with masculine scents I'll take any recommendations! He has a serious dark side when you get to know him, but visually comes off as the monogram-y type that looks good in a pink or light blue polo or button down, with a v-neck sweater if it's cool. I think he would balk at something overly funky-skanky-musty, musky, leathery, pimp-ish, spicy-sweaty, or gender ambiguous. Basically he doesn't have the patience to wait for the more rewarding phases, and he gravitates toward the "modern" (but not conceptual). He is 28.

In other words: What are the best masculine fragrances that are very accessible, modern, and hopefully memorable?

Of the masculines that I've smelled, the ones that have grabbed me have been Calypso Marine, Bond no. 9 Wall Street, and Creed Bois du Portugal.

Any ideas? If anyone can point me toward any relevant threads I would be very grateful for that too...

Thank you, thank you!

Kelly

Default Re: Recommend fragrance for boyfriend?

Welcome to Basenotes, Kelly! Didn't realize you had posted over here too. I answered your question over on the men's board. Best of luck to you in picking out a scent for the bf! Let us know how it turns out.

I wouldn't qualify Bois Du Portugal as easily accesible because it's quite strong and pronounced. But if he does like it, you've got yourself a classy-smelling boyfriend!

For something all-season, non-offensive you could try Dior Homme (which just won numerous awards), Green Irish Tweed (a lot of fans and therefore also reviews and reading material about this one on the board), D&G pour Homme or Live Jazz.

Good luck on your quest!

Why So Serious?

Wow, i've worn Polo Sport for years back in high school, it was my first cologne, ahhh the good o memories. *Anyway, i'd recommend Geir, Allure and Bvlgari Pour Homme to name a few, i'll add some later if i can think of more.

[smiley=azn.gif]
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Like you said, sounds preppyish if I had to figure out a style.

I'm thinking green.

Vintage Caswell Massey Greenbriar
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Gucci Nobile (good luck finding it though!)
    Thierry Mugler Cologne
    Creed - Original Vetiver (similar to TM Cologne IMHO)

Non-green types:
    Worth pour Homme
    Bulgari Aqua
    Gendarme V
    Lalique pour Homme EDT (AKA "Lalique Lion" - it has a lion's face imbedded in the glass)

worth a shot... Tabac Original
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

If he likes fresh scents then a good place to start would be Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. It's fresh, but also distinct and masculine. L'eau D'issey by Issey Miyake is another "safe" fragrance that is universally liked by everyone. Take him to the fragrance counters and see what he likes!

I HIGHLY recommend Marc Jacobs men. It dries down to the nicest scent. I've read that other women have stopped someone to find out what a guy was wearing and this was it. It also has a nice, simple masculine bottle(not like Le Male by JPG, egads)

"He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"