Code of Conduct

Default Newbie looking for a few suggestions

New here and just getting into being a bit compulsive about fragrances.

I'm looking to broaden my horizons a bit and have recently purchased a few samples based on discussions here and elsewhere.

As a sort of a control scent - my all-time favorite and signature scent for many years was Herrera by Carolina Herrera. Love the spicey, almost black pepper smell it has.

I have sampling John Varvatos, Cavalli Man, Dolce & Gabanna and have recently ordered samples of Bois de Portugal and Rive Gauche.

Of these, I prefer Varvatos and Cavalli, though the Varvatos doesn't last very long. D&G isn't my cup of tea....I'm unable at this point to put my finger on the quality that turns me off about it, but I just don't like it.

Based on this little information, any scents that you might point me towards to try. Comments in general. Thanks.

Default Re: Newbie looking for a few suggestions

Welcome. Have you tried DZING

I have not, though I've been reading a little about it, as well as T42. Will probably give those a try. Descriptions of DZING seem to be all over the board.

Welcome to basenotes!!

I agree with trying Dzing! if you are trying to get out there and experience some good stuff. It is high class, expensive stuff but may be what you are looking for.

Some others I would look at are Gucci pH (if you like Rive Gauche), Gucci Envy, L'Instant by Guerlain, Lolita Lempicka...

There are lots of others but do you like any fresh scents?? Are there any that you may be drawn to because summer is comming up and warmer weather calls for fresher and cleaner scents IMO. I would just go out one day and smell everything you can. You'll get a lot better feedback from your own nose than anyone here can give you.

Bruce^

Overcome By Fumes

Balenciaga Portos

Sure, refer me to something that is really hard to find! I'll get hooked and then not be able to afford or find it.

I ordered a few more today based on some of the discussions I've looked at. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of samples of:

Bois de Portugal
    Rive Gauche
    Geir
    Tea for Two

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Balenciaga Portos
    I concur. 8-)

Herrera for Men is also one of my favourite colognes - a little harsh at first application but the dry down is worth the wait.
    Perhaps you would like another fragrance with a cedar note?

Consider Diptyque Tam Dao - beautiful sandalwood, cedar, vanilla...
    Tam Dao's "cousin" is Christian Lacroix Tumulte.
    While I prefer Tam Dao, Tumulte may be a little more versatile - it's a bit lighter and fresher.

If you like the geranium in Herrera, perhaps you will like Ungaro III?
    It's another Basenotes darling for many...

Just got a 10 mL of Rive Gauche in. Settles down in the drydown and is just....well, terrific. Can see how someone got bitten over this scent! :P

Quote Originally Posted by wcbird
    Just got a 10 mL of Rive Gauche in. Settles down in the drydown and is just....well, terrific. Can see how someone got bitten over this scent! :P
    I'm looking forward to a similar experience as well; just placed my order. How's the longevity of the scent?

just sprayed a test spray on my wrist last night so a little hard to tell.

I'm wearing it today for the first time, so I'll let you know.

Chris -

In my limited experience I would say that it has average staying power. I can still smell it on my wrist but it has diminished pretty significantly. I sprayed 4 times (chest, neck, wrist) which according to some is probably on the light side for this scent. I'll try another day with a little stronger dose.

Thanks pajero. Dang, I was hoping for really good longevity. Oh well, best of luck with the stronger dose!