Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default For the millionth time...

Yes, the same question every rookie asks on Basenotes: please evaluate my wardrobe! Here's what I have now:

Givenchy - Very Irresistable - love it!
    Chanel - Egoiste - probably my favorite right now. Very sophisticated.
    Chanel - Allure Homme Sport - nice, seems good for warmer weather.
    L'Eau Par Kenzo - I REALLY love the first 2 minutes of this, then it dies away to nothing. Very disappointing.
    John Varvatos - very nice.
    Armani - Black Code - I'm not totally crazy about this one, but it's nice.
    Burberry Brit - I like it a little better than Black Code.
    Michael Kors - Michael for Men - I love the booziness of this one.
    Geir Ness - Geir. I got this at Epcot's Norway section. Geir Ness was there, and he signed my bottle. Unfortunately, I'm not real crazy about this one. The bottle may be old tho, cause I got this pre-2000.
    DKNY Be Delicious - I got this one before I started testing fragrances on my skin. I rarely will wear this one.
    Ungaro III - blind buy. Not sure if I like it.

I have hated everything by Yves Saint Laurent (M7, Rive Gauche, Kouros) I've tried.

Right now I'm on the hunt for spring/summer fragrances. Long lasting is important to me. Any suggestions? I'm also open to any suggestions in general for things that are missing. Thanks in advance for your patience and consideration.

Default Re: For the millionth time...

Live Jazz would be in my opinnion great for summer.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121006.html

It YSL , but great

Hey Barnisinko, out of your wardrobe I own Ungaro III and L'eau par Kenzo. I'm not a fan of Kenzo at all, it smells bitter to me. I used Ungaro III for the first time last night, it's not bad. I was expecting more based on good reviews. If you're looking for a good spring/summer scent try Laguna. Chrome is not a bad choice either, the problem is that it's becoming too common of a scent.

You might like M7 Fresh too. I is, again, a YSL but very good. I like to wear Chrome, Cool Water, GIT, Neroli Suavage, Vetever Extrordinare (if you got the money), and live Jazz. Those are all great IMO and long lasting on my sking minus the M7 Fresh. I hope you find a gem...

You might also like Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme, if you dont mind that its pretty popular ;D. Great mix of tobacco and citrus.

You are missing long lasting citrus scents like Chrome, D&G Masculine, Aqua de Portofino, Benetton Sport, Versace Green Jeans and /or watery and marine scents like Kenzo homme, Aqua de Gio, L'Eau Dissey, Gant Indigo, Hilfiger Athletics to name a few.

The rest of your scents look pretty good and versatile to me.
    Renato

Thanks for all the replies! I'm gonna have to check out Live Jazz, M7 Fresh, even though they are YSL. I'll also check the D&G ones that were mentioned, as well as the Versace Green Jeans, some Issey stuff, and the Benetton. Aw heck, I'll try them all!

Hey Barnisinko, I think you should spend some time trying some Lorenzo Villoresi fragrances, I've got the impression that your wardrobe will surely welcome one or two of his creations.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Oops - I forgot to mention the fresh long lasting chypres that work pretty well in summer, like Tommy T, Nautica Original, Dior Dune, Lanvin Ogygene, Weekend Burberry.

The fougere Lanvin L'Homme I also mainly use in warmer weather.

You don't have many orientals in your collection. Probably my favourite summer one is Gucci Envy - though I think it's best at night. The usually pretty cheap Benetton Colors is another oriental I mainly use in summer - though a lot of people don't like it around here.

The trick with summery scents is not to get caught out buying scents that behave like L'Eau Par Kenzo - which only last for a few hours on many people's skins. So test all your scents before you buy. Spray some on your wrist or back of your hand. If it's still there with some strength three hours later, consider it suitable for purchase. If it has totally disappeared, or is extremely weak, consider it unsuitable.
    Renato

YOu may want to try Hugh Parsons Traditional.

It's bright and citrussy, but has more complexity than most citrus scents.

The new Guerlain Veiver Sport might be worth a try also. Although the vetiver pursists may question it, it is quite a good lighter take on vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Gendarme.... I'm pretty new to exploring men's fragrances, but this one really has me from the get go. Plus, speaking on long- lasting citrus, what about Bulgari pour Homme Extreme? Many here like the original best, but not me. It's got a little grapefruit thing going on and you really have to wear it for a hour (much like M7) to realize how nice it is.
    A bull in a china shop doesn't take damage. She delivers it. It's The Great Shy Purge of 2019.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Well, I went to the local Perfumania, and tested a few. A lot of what I wanted to smell they didn't have, like Bennetton Sport, or Vesace Green Jeans, but there was plenty of others there to sample. I wound up with Burberry Weekend. It is a very lavender-based scent, and very fresh and clean smelling. I have nothing like this one in my wardrobe, or should I say I "had" nothing like it, since I picked up the 100ml tester. Too bad they didn't have an after-shave balm for this, but Perfumania rarely does carry them.

I also checked out D&G Masculine, and liked it. I'm going to order a gift set of it from perfume.com.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Barnisinko
    Geir Ness *- Geir. I got this at Epcot's Norway section. Geir Ness was there, and he signed my bottle.
    nice!!!
    your feelings on YSL are, I think, typical for someone new to frags: for a designer line, they are pretty "challenging" and take some getting into. may well be why they are so loved by devout frag-addicts, but generally do poor business in the malls.