Code of Conduct

Default Bond no.9 Fire Island

This comes out July 1st. Sounds like it could be an interesting summer scent.

Top notes of: Cardamom and ozone
    Middle notes of: Neroli and white musk
    Base notes of: Skin musk, tuberose, and patchouli

Just got a sample of it but didn't try it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Just got a sample of it but didn't try it yet.

Please let us know what ya think...
    This one does sound interesting.

Unhappy Re: Bond no.9 Fire Island

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    Please let us know what ya think...
    This one does sound interesting.
    I'm sorry. I spoke too soon. I mistook another Bond for FI. Can't help you.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Default Re: Bond no.9 Fire Island

I have been waiting a long time for this one! My SA at Saks, who I talk to a lot about fragrances has smelled it and told me she thought of my 'holy grail' comments. We'll see. But I will be first in line to try this.

Fingers uncrossed........

Blog Entries

Holy crap that sounds right up my alley!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Holy crap that sounds right up my alley!!!
    That's what I'm thinking too. I hope it is as good as it sounds.

I thought that Fire island was a gay mecca. The notes don't sound very gay to me.

I did not know there were gay notes. How ignorant of me.
    The prior post seems inflammatory.
    Ciao
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by ormonde
    The notes don't sound very gay to me.
    I have to agree MisterK. I don't know of any notes that sound, much less smell, gay. Count me among the unenlightened too.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

OK, I'll bite. What are gay notes? I belong to that club but I don't remember that information being in my handbook!

The barrier island of Fire Island has about 20 towns on it. Only two of which are known to be gay resort desitinations. What would you consider a 'gay note'?

...I have a feeling it wasn't meant to be offensive or to poke fun. We're clearly taking the first steps to getting this thread closed by the mods. Everyone caaaaalm down. Deep breaths. Maybe rub your temples. Go find you favorite cologne in the whole world and sniff it a little. It's going to be ok. Getting this thread blocked isn't going to accomplish anything. If the post WAS meant to be incendiary, isn't it better to just ignore it rather than give the writer the satisfaction of seeing us fight about it?

Sorry, I'm just sick of seeing good, informative threads go to waste.

Anyway, sounds like a good scent. Nice skin scents are pretty much the only ones that can go all day without getting on my nerves a little. I hope it doesn't really smell like sunbaked skin though. When I sit out in the sun, the resulting smell isn't pretty at all.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 27th June 2006 at 11:24 PM.

I was unaware that Ozone had an odor? Can anyone provide a little info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by thisguy
    Sorry, I'm just sick of seeing good, informative threads go to waste.
    Yes, but some uninformed notions beg to be challenged.

At least LiveJazz understood that it wasn't meant to be inflammatory.

I have lurked on here for a year, read lots of posts and thought that now was the right time to start posting. Obviously some of the others don't like to make a newbie feel welcome.

I have read various posts in the past on here and on other boards where scent's have been mentioned that are popular with Gay people. A lot of these scents did appear to be quite strong with a good sillage. When I read the notes of Fire Island, they sounded very nondescript and to be honest, it doesn't sound very sillage worthy.

Now calm down everybody and stop being jumpy!

I have lurked on here for a year, read lots of posts and thought that now was the right time to start posting. Obviously some of the others don't like to make a newbie feel welcome.

I have read various posts in the past on here and on other boards where scent's have been mentioned that are popular with Gay people. A lot of these scents did appear to be quite strong with a good sillage. When I read the notes of Fire Island, they sounded very nondescript and to be honest, it doesn't sound very sillage worthy.

welcome ormonde!

When I read your post, I didnt think you were trying to be inflammatory or ignorant, but some members may have. While I appreciate your replying to this thread with an olive branch, it may have been better to include something like "if my post offended somebody, I apologize." Anyway, welcome to posting, your long lurk is over my brother!

I understand what you're getting at, Ormonde. Sorry for what might seem to be an overreaction. There has been a rash of pretty insensitive posts lately and that has led many of us to a light trigger finger (including myself obviously).

In any event welcome to the board; hope you'll stick around. What's in your frag wardrobe?
    K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Thanks Joel and MisterK.

Here is what I have in my fragrance wardrobe (off the top of my head)

Ormonde for Men
    Isfarkand
    Hammam Bouquet
    English Fern
    Blenheim Bouquet
    Millesime Imperial
    Bois de Portugal
    Silver Mountain Water
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    L'Instant pour Homme
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Coriolan
    Sables
    Philosykos
    Prastara Blue
    New Haarlem
    Tabac Blond
    Coup de Fouet
    Biche dans l'Absinthe

I have more but I just can't remember them all at the moment.

^ wow ormonde, for a newbie, you have pretty darn sophisticated tastes! Sounds like you have been lurking quite dilligently!! I can see how you'd find Fire Island rather underwhelming-sounding.

Wow, looks like you're pretty into niche. Lots there I haven't tried yet.

I'm particularly fond of Bois du Portugal since I wore that for my wedding. I really like Blenheim Bouquet - nice persistent pine note on my skin.

You might give Yang - Jacques Fath a shot but it looks like you don't need any help in developing your wardrobe.

Joel, I have been interested in fragrances for over 20 years so I suppose the newbie bit really only applies to my basenotes membership. Over the years I have fallen in love with many scents and fallen out of love with just as many.
    You're right, I love scents that pack quite a punch.

MisterK, thanks for the tip, I will try to sniff it out somewhere.

I have read various posts in the past on here and on other boards where scent's have been mentioned that are popular with Gay people. A lot of these scents did appear to be quite strong with a good sillage.
    so you think there is some correlation between a person's sexuality and their fondness for strong scents with good sillage?

I just bought my bottle of Fire Island today at Saks. It is so totally NOT what I expected. To begin with, I could hardly, if at all, detect cardamom in the opening notes, which was a big disappointment. The white musk and tuberose is most prominent to my nose initially. I was really hoping for something a bit more spicy, more definitively masculine. And I'm still not quite sure what "ozone" smells like...perhaps it's in here but I'm just not sure what it is I'm supposed to be smelling. My nose is still rather undeveloped and not nearly as sophisticated as most here. Maybe this is supposed to be the sun element.

After a short while the white floraly notes begin to subside and what I am left with is the distinct smell of Bain de Soleil. No, really. I think this is what the Bond No. 9 rep told me is the "skin musk" element and that it was fashioned after a "European bronzing oil", to use his exact words. And it would indeed be Bain de Soleil--NOT Hawaiian Tropic, which would make it an Escada yearly limited-edition fragrance, or Coppertone, which is something quite totally different (and could make for something very interesting in fragrance form, but I guess it's been done now). Interesting thing this skin musk....

"A summer's day, laughing and a-hiding,
    Chasing love out on Thunder Island."

That's the tune that kept running through my head...and still is. Thanks a bunch, Jay Ferguson. I guees my age is showing here. A distincly skin-sun-musk-bronzing smell. And it's not synthetic smelling either. However, with all this said, I was still intrigued enough to buy a 1.7 oz, making it the third Bond fragrance that I own along with Little Italy and Bleecker Street. It's been six hours since my first application and it's still going strong.

So is this really a "fragrance" in the conventional sense? I guess so. It's hard to say. I'm very interested in reading someone else's opinion about this. I think it needs something else, though. A bit of a boost. It's going to layer very nicely with Little Italy, which also has a musk base.

Oh yeah....the bottle is gorgeous. But it's NOT the bottle that I've seen pictured before. The bottle is an almost opaque, iridescent gold with a transparent, cobalt blue top. The neck is banded in gold. The medallion on the front is gold with cobalt blue lettering. But unlike the pictures of the bottle I've seen, there is no sun detail on the bottle with rays extending from the medallion. A BIG disappointment for me. I really, really loved the bottle design with the sun detail on the front. Too bad, Laurice, as this would have taken the packaging over the top and would have been hands-down the best of the Bond bottles.

Oh yeah....the bottle is gorgeous. But it's NOT the bottle that I've seen pictured before. The bottle is an almost opaque, iridescent gold with a transparent, cobalt blue top. The neck is banded in gold. The medallion on the front is gold with cobalt blue lettering. But unlike the pictures of the bottle I've seen, there is no sun detail on the bottle with rays extending from the medallion. A BIG disappointment for me. I really, really loved the bottle design with the sun detail on the front. Too bad, Laurice, as this would have taken the packaging over the top and would have been hands-down the best of the Bond bottles.[/QUOTE]<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I got mine from Beauty Cafe and the bottle was the way you described it. What gives? Did they change their minds about the design or was there a manufacturing problem. I wrote to Beauty Cafe customer service. I will let you know what they tell me.

Oh, and I agree with it smelling somewhat like suntan lotion. I like the scent and think it is unique. I can't think of any other fragrances that smell like it. It is long-lasting on me as well.

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2068

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65
    I got mine from Beauty Cafe and the bottle was the way you described it. What gives? Did they change their minds about the design or was there a manufacturing problem. I wrote to Beauty Cafe customer service. I will let you know what they tell me.

I have a feeling it's one out of two possibilities:

1: the nice bottle was produced for marketing purposes only and only appears in advertising, or...
    2: there's a limited edition of the bottle, like Chinatown with the Swarovski crystals

Either way, I feel a bit cheated--or let down at the very least.

You guys have got me SERIOUSLY wanting to go try this scent. I am off this Friday so i think i'll be heading to Saks to see what the hype is all about. I hate going to Saks, though, because everytime i go end up buying something even when i have planned not to. Invariable, there is always one S.A. who is very nice and helpful at Saks and i feel like i cant skip out on them without buying something from them. Does anyone else ever feel like this?
    Awesomeguy

Sounds like At the beach 1966, by I hate perfume....
    Perhaps another knock off...I can't wait to smell it tho.

I'm very curious to try this. I was at the Bond street store back in May and the assistant promised to mail me some samples. Hopefully, she'll include some Fire Island.

I wonder how it compares to Jil Sander Sun Men. Though a good beach scent, it leaves me wanting more of the sun tan oil notes.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    I'm very curious to try this. I was at the Bond street store back in May and the assistant promised to mail me some samples. Hopefully, she'll include some Fire Island.
    I have NEVER received any samples in the mail from Bond. When I purchased my first bottle I was told..."Oh yeah, don't forget to mail the postcard in. You'll get free samples in the mail and preview samples before new fragrances are released to the public." Since then FOUR fragrances have been released and I've received nothing in the mail. Anyone else had this same problem???

Quote Originally Posted by zestyfresh
    I have NEVER received any samples in the mail from Bond. When I purchased my first bottle I was told..."Oh yeah, don't forget to mail the postcard in. You'll get free samples in the mail and preview samples before new fragrances are released to the public." Since then FOUR fragrances have been released and I've received nothing in the mail. Anyone else had this same problem???
    I did the same thing when I purchased Bleecker Street. I filled up the information and mailed it to them..... I have not received any newletters of samples of this one. What gives with this company? Should I call them up in New York?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    What gives with this company? Should I call them up in New York?
    Ooooooh, call 'em! Call 'em! Maybe someone with the company saw how many sample vials go up for auction on eBay and decided they should stop sending them out gratis!

For the amount of $ their fragrances cost we should get SOMETHING from them! If you buy something from them retail they are ready to give you the folding card with the three samples inside, but if you just want to sample something without buying first you get rolling eyes and a snooty nose. Granted, I've never been to one of the New York Bond boutiques, but that's the reaction I've received at Saks before. There's a new rep at my Saks here Atlanta that's much better now, but before.....JEEZ!

Out of the Bonds i've sampled, only New Haarlem is decent, but none are worth the asking price, imo.

KO

I purchased this last Friday and I have been playing with it all weekend. The association with high end beach lotions is unmistakable. This is definitly a real scent as opposed to 'skin scent'....nice construction. I actually spritzed it on after my sunscreen when going to the beach. Very fun to actually apply fragrance FOR the beach... today's sunscreens don't have the scent that they used to have in the 70s...before the SPF days.

Its just a tad feminine if you ask me. The tubrose and neroli do battle in the middle and the patchouli never really emerges... the scent is fun... and really is 'beach in a bottle' as the SA said when I tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    Sounds like At the beach 1966, by I hate perfume....
    Perhaps another knock off...I can't wait to smell it tho.

yeah, smells like it too. very similar impression, would love to hear someone with a better nose make a comparison between At the Beach 1966 and Fire Island. i have bobbi brown beach which also smells like old school suntan lotion. i like Fire Island better, i think, it's more mellow. more bain de soleil less coppertone.

Went to Bond no. 9 today......Fire Island was THE WORST FRAGRANCE I'VE EVER SMELLED !!! Cloying, and cheap....Could not wait to scrub the "blue electric guitar ozone accord" OFF.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but smelling like sun tanning lotion, whether it be just a general association or strong, striking resemblance, is definitely NOT something I'm after. I'm aware that statement could be replaced by numerous other fragrances, but sun tanning lotion of all things? Bleh... pass on that.
    Last edited by Motecuzoma; 13th July 2006 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    I don't know, maybe it's just me, but smelling like sun tanning lotion, whether it be just a general association or strong, striking resemblance, is definitely NOT something I'm after. I'm aware that statement could be replaced by numerous other fragrances, but sun tanning lotion of all things? Bleh... pass on that.

sun products are some of the strongest scent memories i have from childhood. other than mosquito repellent and various shampoos and soaps, there weren't very many other scented products that got applied directly to my body. and given that being in the sun at the beach is a very positive association for me, these suntan lotion smells put me in a good mood. when, or if, i get Fire Island it'll be something i wear for my own enjoyment... probably not one of my office scents. i suppose if one doesn't have good associations with these types of fragrances, you might not understand the attraction. some bad sunburns perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure
    sun products are some of the strongest scent memories i have from childhood. other than mosquito repellent and various shampoos and soaps, there weren't very many other scented products that got applied directly to my body. and given that being in the sun at the beach is a very positive association for me, these suntan lotion smells put me in a good mood. when, or if, i get Fire Island it'll be something i wear for my own enjoyment... probably not one of my office scents. i suppose if one doesn't have good associations with these types of fragrances, you might not understand the attraction. some bad sunburns perhaps?
    I realize 100% where you're coming from. Fragrances, then again, are a completely personalized feature for one's self.. I didn't mean for my post to come across as a slight on Fire Island, although after re-reading it does sound as such.

Don't get me wrong though. I, too, undoubtedly love the sun-tanning lotion aroma... when it's on a blonde in a bikini.

Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    I realize 100% where you're coming from. Fragrances, then again, are a completely personalized feature for one's self.. I didn't mean for my post to come across as a slight on Fire Island, although after re-reading it does sound as such.

Don't get me wrong though. I, too, undoubtedly love the sun-tanning lotion aroma... when it's on a blonde in a bikini.
    i liked that your post got me thinking about why it is that i kinda like Fire Island.

My wife said I smell like our 2 week old baby...
    I think this is a Gendarme-a-like...

Anyway,
    its smells good but I regret I purchased retail...that's for sure.

Wearing this as SOTD today and I am quite liking it. One spray this morning and its still going strong 9 hours later. A very clean and soapy smell on me. Easy to overdo, however. One spray has blended nicely with my skin and creating just enough, but not too much sillage. Overdone and it would probably be suffocating the people around me!

In fact, it could almost be a part of the new CDG series "Clean" - I could totally see CDG doing a scent like this.

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by sjas1962; 25th July 2006 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962
    Wearing this as SOTD today and I am quite liking it. One spray this morning and its still going strong 9 hours later. A very clean and soapy smell on me. Easy to overdo, however. One spray has blended nicely with my skin and creating just enough, but not too much sillage. Overdone and it would probably be suffocating the people around me!

In fact, it could almost be a part of the new CDG series "Clean" - I could totally see CDG doing a scent like this.

Regards,
    Steve

Does it compare in any way to Mugler cologne? I will have to get out and try this over the weekend.

I would probably put them in same category only is so much as they both are soapy type fragrances. Muglers Cologne, to me, is much greener than Fire Island. Fire Island is more creamy, probably due to the tuberose and white musk.

Regards,
    Steve