Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Scent usage in your area...

Well, I was thinking about what everyone else wears in their hometown.

Here in Fort Wayne, the smellies that guys wear can be classified in three categories. The first, not suprisingly, is boring ozonic/watery scents. Of course, Acqua di Gio is the most popular in this category by far... everyone from high school students to lawyers spritz it on (most often, in several coats). The runner-up, Azzaro Chrome, is used more sparingly.

The second category? Scents that lack any character whatsoever. Here, you've got Kenneth Cole Black, Z Zegna, any Hugo Boss scent produced since 1994, Hummer, Everlast, and such. Not surprisingly, I despise this category even more than the ozonic/watery one.

And finally, we have the category of sugary sweet gourmands... the only category of the three that I'm a part of. Here, small doses of Angel Men and Le Male proliferate.

Of course, this makes me like my unique scents even more.

And you?
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so new at this passion, I d/k what I smell on others. Only two guys out of about 25 in my office wear anything that has silleage and I don't like what I smell from them. The feeling is probably mutual.

Dan

I don't smell (or notice) guys here in good ol' Pittsburgh, PA wearing many fragrances, especially during the day. Clubs are a different story, but even there, to my nose, it's mostly big designers and the "safe" frags, the popular ones. I think there is a greater than average level of fear here regarding wearing fragrances and being seen as effeminate. With many it's seen as effeminate to care about fragrances at all. For many others, wearing them is considered rude or offensive (and effeminate).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh good!! Another guy from the 'Burgh....well, I've gotten the same impression. Thank god someone else on here is from this area. I started to think I may have been the only one. Only things I smell around are of course AdG, the A&F stuff, everything that is extremely mass marketed...the Pittsburgh area is not a great area for fragrance...purchasing or anything. Like Robyogi said, it's seen as kind of femme. Of course around here, fashion is about 10 years behind....the best local radio station has plenty of comedy bits pertaining to this and the generally backward thinking around here. However, I don't think I would like to be anywhere else... =)

MFFan, it's basically the same here. Lots of ADG, Le Male, you name it. Boring, but I don't think it's any different somewhere on this world .
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

here the biggest sales right now are: Le MÔle, Boss, Aqua di Gio, Eau sauvage, Black Code, Chrome, Hugo
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum ╔go´ste
    my wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

YesYou all said everything I smell. They always go for the same stuff. It is weird how so many people have the same taste in smells.

In Colorado, where I go to school, no one wear cologne that I have noticed but one person and he wears Chrome. It is funny how it is always the same thing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belial
    here the biggest sales right now are: Le MÔle, Boss, Aqua di Gio, Eau sauvage, Black Code, Chrome, Hugo
    Bonjour, Belial,
    C'est interessant - I'm in the center of New York state in the US, and your list looks surprisingly similar to what I would expect to find over here, with the possible exception of Eau Sauvage.

Where I live there aren't too many people wearing fragrances. I would say that the scents only get common as you approach larger cities. I look forward to visiting countries where more people have an affinity for fragrances, France and Italy in particular.

Though my friends often like my frags, I imagine that some people do not. But that's OK - I like having an identity, and if you try to please everyone, you end up wearing the best-sellers, which are boring almost by definition, even if they smell good.

Post Thanks / Like

In Thailand (also in most countries of course), women wear perfumes more then men. As the weather is very warm here people tend to go for fresh/ozonic frags such as Cool Water, Aqua Di Gio, Hugo, Tommy Boy, DKNY, Chrome, Happy, and the unisex CK One & Be. For the sweet/sexy scents most people wear Le Male, Fahrenheit, BLV, and Eternity. These scents are very popular here and I believe the perfume gurus would say "boring."

If I am not mistaken I have never smelt Kouros from anyone here. And I just tried it today on my wrist and I was shocked. Been so long hearing people praising it, hating it, and today, I was very surprised. The white bottle didn't convince me that the scent would be like that, it is so strong and the top note is the killer. But after 30 minutes I kept sniffing my wrist and strangely, still don't know whether I like it or not?
    Last edited by KiatBkk; 21st June 2006 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh...give the Kouros time to develop..I hated it at first..but after an hour or so...it's beauty comes out two-fold...

Seems to be Le Male out in front by a long way. After that, your typical citric concoctions.

Default Re: Scent usage in your area...

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    Seems to be Le Male out in front by a long way. After that, your typical citric concoctions.
    I smell Le Male everywhere I go. It is by far the most common that I've noticed when I travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is on the Curve bandwagon here in Winter Haven, Florida.They ask, "Are you wearing Curve?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tajsmellsgood
    Everyone is on the Curve bandwagon here in Winter Haven, Florida.They ask, "Are you wearing Curve?"
    Heh... during my brief stint at Anderson University, that and Axe/Tag body sprays were about all I smelled on campus.

From what I'm noticing here, though, it seems like Le Male is growing in popularity here in the Fort as compared to 2 months ago.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can tell, everything.

We have lots of young people, what with the Atlanta University complex, Emory, Georgia Tech, Georgia State and all the communitity colleges (those are, in order: African-American, Jewish and White liberals, techies (still mostly whites, but getting more African-American), a wide gamut of urbans (Georgia State is friendly to continuing ed, so they have older/working students) and poorer, nontraditional college students.

We have ethnic diversity: The largest concentration of African-American middle class in the USA. A large asian portion of town (Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean for the most part). And being in the south where things are being built and cooked, lots of Hispanics.

I think the African-Americans have the edge on the Whites in conspicuous consumptions.

With this kind of diversity and money, you get all the mass-market stuff, you get bleeding edge new stuff and you get rich people with high-end tastes.

Fragrance is not ubiquitous.. it is in certain areas and types of places that you are likely to encounter sillage. (Malls, clubs, and some restaurants and shopping areas)

Here in North Carolina.

Cool Water is popular, so is Curve. Abercrombie and Fitch is all over the place as is Tommy. I've seen guys with Kenneth Cole stuff.

A coworker asked what I was wearing. I told her Green Irish Tweed by Creed; she looked at me like I was speaking Chinese.

Post Thanks / Like

Over here in Jakarta, Indonesia, I haven't really noticed guys wearing colognes at the mall, and Jakarta's lifestyle revolves around malls, mall culture.

So, can anybody give me some suggestions scents that are perfect for mall culture. Forget ozonic/aquatic,coz no way those scents are going be noticed.

I usualy use Angel Men, Roma Uomo or Gigli Man 2004.

Actually I'm going to try these scents at the mall tomorow and going to buy the last bottle of Nicole Miller Man. Please give me your opinion on these!

Nicole Miller Man
    Aramis Tuscany(wore it back in 1990) but haven't smelled it since
    Gaultier 2
    Perry Ellis 360 Black
    Moschino Uomo?

Thanks!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

I go to Texas State, and most of what I smell are the safe mainstream scents (Curve, Chrome, Aqua di Gio etc.) I was actually surprised to smell D&G PH on one guy. I'm glad it's like this-gives me a chance to stand out.

Thrax

People dont even wear Aqua Di Gio out here where I live. I live in a fragrance black hole. People out here think that Chanel has to do with the television, Versace is ver sace, and Giorgio Armani is "what'd you just say to me?"

Post Thanks / Like

"And being in the south where things are being built and cooked, lots of Hispanics."

When you write things like this, it suggests a questionable perspective that undermines the point you are trying to make about diversity.

I almost never notice what people are wearing here in Seattle, but we do have more than our share of "serious" fragrance outlets, so someone is wearing the interesting stuff.

Being 16 and in highschool you can only imagine what the kids are wearing. Tommy, Cool Water, Curve, AdG, etc etc. So when I wear something like M7, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari au the vert, or even Burberry Touch, the girls are shocked and pleassntly surprised. Someones gotta give them a little diversity. I can only imgaine what responses I'll get wearing Bvlgari Black, Body Kouros, By Man, Opium, Gucci PH, Envy, and especially Antaeus.

Thrax

You should show up to school with your underwear on outside of your pants. Wear Opium and M7 together. Thats I.N.S.A.N.I.T.Y......however it is diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy_Thrax
    You should show up to school with your underwear on outside of your pants. Wear Opium and M7 together. Thats I.N.S.A.N.I.T.Y......however it is diverse.

Hahahahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Being a youth in where I live in Norway, scents are very popular.
    Nearly all of my friends have more than 2 colognes.
    Some are Chanel PM, Allure, Platinum Egoiste, Chrome, Silver Shadow, Burberry Touch, D&G PH, Light Blue (a male friend owns this), Armani Mania, Armani Code, and of course True Star, Boss in Motion, Tommy Jeans, AdG...

I can admit I have made some influence on their choises :P