Code of Conduct

Default Who works in fragrance retail?

...As an SA, owner, fragrance model, internet retailer etc...

Can you PM me if you are interested in a new idea?

Thanks
    Last edited by Grant; 21st June 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Talking

You can make a lot of money if you buy the right things (discontinued, rare, even used bottles, ....) on eBay and sell decants of it again on eBay. Nothing new here, but still not to be sneezed at.

Please tell me this 'idea' is a Basenotes-shop!

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    Please tell me this 'idea' is a Basenotes-shop!
    Na sorry! Basically I'm considering setting up a 'hidden' board for people who work in fragrance retail to discuss business related matters. I have one interested so far!

Default Re: Who works in fragrance retail

I wish I could work in fragrance retail. At least then I might enjoy my job!

Perhaps I should start sending my cv round to some fragrance houses?

I used to work in fragrance, but let me just offer a warning to anyone looking at the fragrance industry: it's a tough place if you have a true love for fragrances.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    I used to work in fragrance, but let me just offer a warning to anyone looking at the fragrance industry: it's a tough place if you have a true love for fragrances.
    But a GREAT place if you have a true love for Aqua di Gio.
    Last edited by Joel_Cairo; 23rd June 2006 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    But a GREAT place if you have a true love for Aqua di Gio.

Probably also a great place if you have a true love for the latest whims and whinings of focus group participants, or the bizarre wishes of egomaniacal executives.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    Although I can surmise some of the subtext here, I hope you will elaborate on this.

Love your byline by the way.

Although I don't need the job, it would be fun to work in Neiman Marcus part time or somewhere like that. I had a friend that worked in the buisness and he said that he got a new bottle of everything they carried to become familiar with it. I was blown away! I would love that!

Most of us know the ins and outs of the buis. It would be great to read what someone who is in the buisness now reflect upon their daily encounters. Well, I don't suppose we could read it if it is hidden and would draw unwanted remarks if is wasn't so?

Me personally, I have never worked as a fragrance SA but I have endeavored in the lab a bit.

Well I worked for 2 years part-time in a very nice niche perfume store here in Brussels. Yes, it's great to be around fantastic hard-to-find fragrances. Yes, it's great to be able to sample up and coming fragrances before everybody else. Yes, it's nice to work in luxurious surroundings.

But...

It's not nice to work at Christmas with crowds of impatient customers. It's not nice to have customers who think of themselves as superstars and you as a little shit. It's not nice to have customers who hesitate for 45min while you have 3 other customers waiting, even tho you told them they could have samples to try at home. It's not nice to have customers who can't remember the name of their perfume, brand, fragrance type, sometimes even what the bottle looks like. It's not nice to have customers who want the perfume they are sure they bought here, but you know 100% to store never carried. It's not nice to have customers who say the wear "Angel" but want a new perfume, yet you know by experience they will hate everything you will show them. It's not nice to have customers who think you are a moron while you more about perfume than anyone else in your town.
    Oooooh! I don't forget to keep smiling. I think I smiled more and was more friendly than the best Disney cast-member during those 2 years (OK, I did explode 1 or 2 times).

I'm glad I stopped before I brought a shotgun at work. LOL
    I'm now back as a full-time makeup artist for television.

Wow, and I thought I'd be the one to go postal at work (working at the Swedish postal service...).

I've thought several times about applying for a job at one of the frag counters here in my town, but then I think about how lousy I'd be at selling, when I find someone annoying for one or more of the reasons cedriceccentric posted above...

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Wow, and I thought I'd be the one to go postal at work (working at the Swedish postal service...).

I've thought several times about applying for a job at one of the frag counters here in my town, but then I think about how lousy I'd be at selling, when I find someone annoying for one or more of the reasons cedriceccentric posted above...
    Cedric's post cracked me up. I go through the things he mentioned, have not gone postal yet, and I hope to God it never happens.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin
    Na sorry! Basically I'm considering setting up a 'hidden' board for people who work in fragrance retail to discuss business related matters. I have one interested so far!
    Oh what I would give to hack THAT hidden board! Sounds interesting. Alas, I have no business connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Accord
    Oh what I would give to hack THAT hidden board! Sounds interesting. Alas, I have no business connection.
    If you want to know what goes on there:

Basically I go in there to vent, about the kind of customers Cedric talked about, so instaed of taking a shotgun to work, I vent and take out my frustations. Grant is doing the customers a favor by providing retailers a place to vent and take out their frustations .

EVERYTHING I SAID IN THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS A DOGGONE LIE.
    I WAS JUST KIDDING .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I realized a number of years ago that each business has its great stories. They usually involve something exasperating for the participants - but - make for great storytelling. I remember when, I believe it was you, Maisonstinky, told the story of your withdrawal behavior when you could not get access to Basenotes via your own computer. Exasperating, but so funny. Cedriceccentric's vignette above was also fun to read. I think listening to some of you great storytellers "vent" would probably be a delicious experience. Maybe the best of the venting will be published and become a successful book.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Accord
    I realized a number of years ago that each business has its great stories. They usually involve something exasperating for the participants - but - make for great storytelling. I remember when, I believe it was you, Maisonstinky, told the story of your withdrawal behavior when you could not get access to Basenotes via your own computer. Exasperating, but so funny. Cedriceccentric's vignette above was also fun to read. I think listening to some of you great storytellers "vent" would probably be a delicious experience. Maybe the best of the venting will be published and become a successful book.
    Boy, could I tell you some stories of expierences I have had in the business, it would have you rolling on the floor in laughter .
    Last edited by maisonstinky; 27th June 2006 at 10:43 PM.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    Boy, could I tell you some stories of expierences I have had in the business, it would have you roilling on the floor in laughter .
    Maybe there could be a public thread in which people "in the business" told stories. The storyteller could be anonymous to the reader, but not moderator. It could be set up so the characters in the story remain anonymous but the story could be made public.