Code of Conduct

Question USA -vs- Europe: The Best Fragrance Houses

What is the reason for Europe having superior frangrance houses to that of the the United States?
    Last edited by Red_Rose; 21st June 2006 at 09:24 PM.

Its all about tradition. When spices came to Europe form the orient, people who did not have the luxury of warm water and everyday shower needed a way to smell good, and invented perfumery...

I would think that hundreds of years experience might have something to do with it, as well as cultures that care more about scent.

Are there any perfumes made in the U.S., other than maybe a few intrepid small makers? Pretty much nothing that I own comes from the U.S. I'm pretty sure that even U.S. companies use foreign (mostly European) "noses" to develop their scents, as well as having them manufactured in Europe or elsewhere outside the U.S.

Or maybe you were just joking, and I fell for it!

I think Bond No. 9 is a new American fragrance house based in New York. So far-- they're doing well and I own a fragrance from them. The company keeps growing.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Its the same thing with wine, food, and fashion - europe leads the way.

The USA is an extension of Europe as we were once all European. Everything we learned was from accross the pond. I feel that there are so many more traditions there. We have taken from all over to create our own.

Fragrances is something they do very well. I think it is more accepted in France for a person to become a perfumer. Men here would rather ride a harley...

Just talking for the masculine part of it: while Europe historically has had the lead in P, EDO, EDT, and EDC, other fragrant stuff was rather ignored by Europeans, or invented / first marketed in the US! Home fragrances, perfumed detergents, deodorants, shower gels, shaving cream and after shave.

The now almost universal habit of applying fragrance on your skin has been started in Europe by US products (!) related to daily shaving (Palmolive, Gilette, and other brands). Men did use perfumes and Colognes before. But that had been developped in different (imperial) societies, and it was for a very small, elitary (kind of) group and their own life style. The average man was led by Mennen SB to scent wearing, and only then he was ready to try colognes. The change in habit took more like two generations, not just one! It started after WW2 and US troops helped the innovations to spread, believe it or not! In turn, they may have helped the french perfume industry to boost exports (a fortunate win / win situation) !

Democracies in Europe are rather young and mass market production only made it possible for a majority of people to enjoy the goodies in life, from tooth paste and cologne to designed clothes and automobiles. Modern production, and sales policies still profit from a huge heritage of perfume craftsmanship and know how. Modern market conditions also have a victim: product integrity. I am afaraid scents will continue to be watered down, as a whole. They will remain affordable, will be 'easy to wear' any time, any place - seasonal scents, quickly purchased and forgotten - on both sides of the ocean. It seems that design houses take the lead in that.

Now - specifically US perfumes and colognes: aren't Arden, Beene, Bond NY, Clinique, Klein, Kors, Patricia NY, Lauder, Shulton all great american enterprises? I feel they compare with European market leaders very well - although the best reputed firms do not even bother to sell in Europe, for whatever reason!

ps: European fragrance knowledge: Americans may know more british perfumers' names than Yardley. Their Lavender is known, but the firm is not english any more, it's german, and the lavender is not grown in England any more, it's just imported. Everybody in Europe knows, and most likely wears, Armani scents or Acqua di Gio - and then? Hugo Boss and Axe. 'Chanel - french stuff is more for women, isn't it?' ....
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd June 2006 at 02:08 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    The USA is an extension of Europe as we were once all European.
    gotta pull you up on this.

apart from the africans, south and central americans, asians, indiginous people and a whole lot more!!!!

perfumery has a long history in asia too.

Default Re: USA -vs- Europe: The Best Fragrance Houses

I might be wrong, but I think the average American male has absolutely no interest in fragrances. They might get the latest Axe body wash and be satisfied because it's cheap and easily found. Other fragrance experiences during their lives might include smelling a few in magazines and when their girl buys them the latest Tommy Hilfiger for Xmas. So, I guess my answer is Europe is currently better in the fragrance game because there is less demand here.
    Last edited by Stew; 12th September 2011 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    perfumery has a long history in asia too.
    You'd never know it by living here. At least the eastern part of it.
    Last edited by Partario; 12th September 2011 at 12:05 PM.

History and tradition.

A big reason why is because the major fashion houses are based in Europe (Chanel, Christian Dior, Giorgio Armani, YSL, Jean Paul Gaultier, and the list can go on forever). Fragrances were not why these houses were established, it was fashion, but they eventually decided to use their huge name to make money on fragrances.

As far as the European niche dominance, I have no idea.

misread a post, so i edited this
    Last edited by finsfan; 12th September 2011 at 10:56 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I don't know why, but, it sure is right!
    The only American houses of perfume I
    really like are Bond and Este Lauder.

Europe rules and have ruled for waaay
    longer than USA has existed! Yay!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 12th September 2011 at 09:06 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Rose View Post
    What is the reason for Europe having superior frangrance houses to that of the the United States?
    Well it certainly is not based on what they are currently releasing........
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    A big reason why is because the major fashion houses are based in Europe (Chanel, Christian Dior, Giorgio Armani, YSL, Jean Paul Gaultier, and the list can go on forever).
    Quite true.

Honestly I think it's because the average American believes items from European countries like France are more high-class and many French look down on American products and don't by them. Hence the majority of high-end fashion and perfume companies end up in Europe and ones that start out in US really have their work cut out for them and don't attain the same level of success and eventually go mid-level (just look at Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren)

I think it's largely due to the fact Americans think luxurious stuff come from Europe (as above posters have mentioned, most popular perfume houses worldwide are designer houses, and most of them are based in Europe).

The other issue is certainly historical and cultural, but mainly cultural. I think it's agreed upon by most people that Americans, especially the male market, just wants to smell clean. Perfume is not something that Americans seem to grow up with as much as Europeans or middle easterns. For me, wearing perfume in the united states has been stressing since I always fear someone will get offended. It's like shinning blinding bright light to someone who has been in a dark room. Perfume in America equals smelling clean and that's it, thus there's little market for it outside of the low-end spectrum of things. And those who are willing to spend the extra penny obviously want something with a fancy celebrity or designer name on it, so it has to come from Paris or something.

And America did not invent home/clothes perfumes. Please look At the middle east and Asia....Perfume existed there before europe and the middle eastern market is as big as europe if not bigger. However, middle eastern houses are still struggling to compete with european houses as well.

There are many variables in the equation, cultural, historical, perhaps skill based. But I think the designer issue is really the main thing...perfume is assigned with fashion, and good fashion comes from Paris, Italy...etc. Or as someone who I can't recall put it "even though a chanel perfume has nothing to do with chanels fashion prestige, a chanel perfume is the cheapest way to have a 'chanel' product". But perhaps chanel is not the best example since they actually make great perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    The other issue is certainly historical and cultural, but mainly cultural. I think it's agreed upon by most people that Americans, especially the male market, just wants to smell clean.
    LoL

And America did not invent home/clothes perfumes. Please look At the middle east and Asia....Perfume existed there before europe and the middle eastern market is as big as europe if not bigger. However, middle eastern houses are still struggling to compete with european houses as well.
    I wish there were on the Market more sort of Amouages like houses.
    In fact things are changing at this point in time, look at the currently general obsession with OUD, IMO OUD gives a perfume somewhat of Arab vibe which I personally love it;-) maybe in the future Arab houses will be at central stage once again...

even though a chanel perfume has nothing to do with chanels fashion prestige, a chanel perfume is the cheapest way to have a 'chanel' product". But perhaps chanel is not the best example since they actually make great perfumes.
    Chanel does some Amazing scents, if we look at tradition, I would think French perfumery is well represented by Guerlain and its Unforgettable Classics.
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 13th September 2011 at 05:47 AM.

Estee Lauder is one of the few American cosmetic/fragrance houses that can hold its own with the Europeans, but I really can't name any others off the top of my head...

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Estee Lauder is one of the few American cosmetic/fragrance houses that can hold its own with the Europeans, but I really can't name any others off the top of my head...
    Tom Ford absolutely can. Most definitely the Private Blend line.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Is this really a question that needs asking ? The U.S has some really superb fragrance houses , Del Rae , Liz Zorn amongst many. The U.K isn't too famous for fragrance but now Grossmith is back and maybe all countries should teach perfumery in the art departments ? I hope the art grows on all continents and who knows what fragrances might exist in hardly known areas of the World ?
    Last edited by memories; 13th September 2011 at 12:33 PM.

I think it also as something to do with the soil. The country of Grasse is richer in indols wich make better flowers absolutes.