Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Pour Monsieur

About a year ago, I had an opportunity to try one spray of Chanel Pour Monsieur on my skin. My memory of that one spray is that Chanel Pour Monsieur is quite beautiful, and I have been longing for it ever since.

However, every time I go into a store looking for Chanel Pour Monsieur, all I ever find is Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée, a formulation which definitely does not have good chemistry with my skin.

According to the Basenotes Directory, the original Chanel Pour Monsieur was created in 1955, and Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée was created in 1989.

If anyone has worn both of these fragrances, I would like to hear your experiences and your comparison of the two.

Also, can anyone tell me about the original Chanel Pour Monsieur’s longevity on the skin?

And finally, does anyone have a recommendation of a good place to find either a bottle or a decant of the original Chanel Pour Monsieur?

Thanks!

Hi Rock!
    I can't answer your whole question, but I've tried Pour Monsieur, and I agree, it's really nice - smooth and distinguished. But I don't own it, and I haven't managed to find the Concentree to try.

Something I just noticed... a new feature for this board, apparently... "Similar Threads" down at the bottom. Could be quite useful! That's where I found this thread that seems to indicate possible low longevity; that explains the Concentree, I suppose.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=172408

There are a couple of guys who have it in their swaplist. Maybe one of them would sell it. Bunch of people decanting it too! It's running about 30-40 on Ebay - that's not too awful bad
    Last edited by Cognoscento; 22nd June 2006 at 02:33 AM.

I've tried both, and they're a little different. Chanel pour monsieur is more citrusy and sharper than the concentrée version, which is smoother and perhaps a little more complex. I tend to prefer the concentrée version, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
    Talking about longevity, the 1955 is short-lived on my skin: 2-3 hours at best, but it has quite a strong sillage at the beginning.
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Default Try Tiffany For Men

If you like Chanel Pour Monsieur and can't find it, I would HIGHLY recommend Tiffany For Men as they smell nearly the same. You can only buy it at Tiffany's, the high end jewelry store or Tiffany's on-line. Scentiments or other discount places do not carry it.

By the way, Tiffany and Pour Monsieur are made by the same designer and Tiffany lasts all day long -- I also think Tiffany is one of the finer scents out there today. Elegance in a bottle.

Good luck!

mm

[QUOTE=davycee]Something I just noticed... a new feature for this board, apparently... "Similar Threads" down at the bottom. Could be quite useful!
    /QUOTE]

Wow! What a feature! Those "Similar Threads" are a gold mine of information.

Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is a somewhat citrusy chypre. Elegant, elegant, and elegant are the three words that come to mind.
    It's a fantastic scent, but the longevity is somewhat limited. I can usually
    get a decent smell out of a few sprays for around 4 or 5 hours.

Pour Monsieur Concentree (1989) is less sharp at first spray but has a
    long lasting nutmeg note. I like this fragrance quite a bit, but it's not
    quite the stunner that the 1955 version is. Really, though, if you smelled
    like either one of these frags, you would smell better than the vast majority
    of fragrance wearers around you. I get roughly 6 or 7 hours out of the
    Concentree version.

Regarding getting the 1955 version, I got mine at the duty free shop in
    the Detroit airport. As I am passing through Detroit next week I will make
    a point to check if they still have it. I don't know if they mail stuff out,
    but it's worth a try. It was around $60 for 100ml, as I recall.

Chanel Pour Monsieur was my introduction to men’s fragrances 1982.

To obtain a bottle of the original 1955 formula, I suggest Perfumebay.com
    A side note. Perfumebay is located up the street from my house here in So. Cal.
    I know they have the original formula because I was at their store last week and saw many bottles on the shelf.
    1955 tall square bottle.
    1989 rectangular skinny bottle.

If you want the original Pour Monsieur scent, DON'T buy Tiffany for Men.
    Tiffany for men is similar to the Concentree version of Pour Monsieur.

Good Luck
    Last edited by mason; 22nd June 2006 at 04:10 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Rockford,

I see that you live in California. If you are ever in San Francisco, go to Parfumerie Jacqueline, on Geary Street, near the corner of Grant Avenue, about one block east of Union Square, on the same block and the same side of the street as Neiman Marcus. The proprietor of this shop has both the original 1955 version and the Concentrée version of Chanel pour Monsieur. BTW, across the street on the same block is the Chanel boutique. When I went there, however, they had only the Concentrée version; but who knows if they might not have the original at some future time?

I don't know if Jacqueline does mail order, but you could probably get their number from information for the 415 area code and ask.

It's really très élégant et très chic. I hope you find some really soon!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I have worn both and right now prefer the Concentree version. The original is nice and refreshing but I don't like the prominent neroli note in it. It reminds me of barber shop stuff. And there's no longevity to speak of.
    On the other hand, the bolder nutmeg and espcially the sweeter dry down of the C makes it much more enjoyable for me. Still very masculine and classy. It is available at Sephora.
    RM

I saw the original in Sephora a few days ago. They had it shelved with the Concentree version, and only had Concentree testers open, but they definitely had the original in stock.

This is a lot of good information! Thanks, guys!

In a few hours, I am leaving for a one week vacation out of state, and I will not have access to a computer during that time (deliberately).

But, when I get back home one week from now, I will follow up on your good suggestions. Thanks again!

Chanel PM was the first "proper" fragrance that I ever owned. Back then (About 1980) it was sold in the UK as "A Gentleman's After Shave".

It's never had longevity but I've always thought of it as on the greats. I still wear it today and regard it as one of the classiest fragrances available.

It's an antidote to the "in your face" offerings which are prevalent nowadays

I bought a 4ml bottle of concentree off eBay for comparison purposes and while enjoyable, I find it is less distinguishable and reminiscent of a number of fragrances in the marketplace e.g. Signature by ST Dupont

Hope you're successful in your quest

Default Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur

i thought that the original Pour Monsieur was a cologne that has been discontinued and is now very rare and hard to find. All I see now are the eau de toilette and the eau de toilette concentree. does anybody know if this is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure
    i thought that the original Pour Monsieur was a cologne that has been discontinued and is now very rare and hard to find. All I see now are the eau de toilette and the eau de toilette concentree. does anybody know if this is correct?
    The original is still available. The Concentree is really quite different - much sweeter and with some different notes, notably nutmeg. I don't like the Concentree at all, so sample before you buy.

I haven't seen the non-concentree Pour Monsieur in the US market. I bought it from a UK site as it appears to be in the European market. I've noticed that with a number of houses: there will be products in the line (aftershave, deodorant, etc etc) that will be generally available in one market but not another. The Internet allows us to ignore those decisions. Obviously if you can find it for sale local or in the US it should be cheaper for shipping reasons if nothing else.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    The original is still available. The Concentree is really quite different - much sweeter and with some different notes, notably nutmeg. I don't like the Concentree at all, so sample before you buy.
    So the cologne and the eau de toilette (non-concentree version) are the same?