Code of Conduct

Default No Shipping Perfume from US to military bases??

> I am very sad to report that it is extremely difficult to buy perfume on the Internet and have it shipped to US military bases overseas. Pretty much impossible, due to restrictions I don't honestly understand. Even solid perfume is verboten! With the euro so high, buying perfume on the European economy is molto caro!! PXes have limited stock and sell at strictly retail prices. Anyone had any good experiences, or at least explanations, on buying perfume from US companies and having it shipped? BTW, shipping from the US to the bases overseas is not international mail, it's *all US Postal Service.

Default Re: No Shipping Perfume from US to military bases??

I'm bumping and answering this old thread because I believe it may bear some relevance on what is currently happening with regard to shipping perfumes.
    This sudden out~of~the~blue crackdown on shipping perfumes, may well indeed be to do with terrorist attempts to send liquid bombs disguised as fragrances in parcels. My message to "sensitive" basenotes members is, (this is not a conspiracy theory). It does make perfect sense that any attempts to send such bombs are going to be kept very quiet at government levels for fear of damaging the airline industry in these globally difficult times.
    This thread, (many thanks Elf) really does make it look as if there have been earlier attemps to send such parcels, targeting US military bases worldwide.
    Further attempts to get such parcels on aircraft would explain the sudden crackdown today and the hush~hush and lack of explination surrounding it.
    The consequences of such a bomb going off mid~air do not bear thinking about, but I really hope there will be a viable solution to this huge problem which is now really affecting small businesses......and all of us.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Basenotes Plus

Well, nobody seems prepared to say anything here, which is unusual, although Ian Hislop was talking about Leveson/implications of, on the radio today.

It looks to me here as though the new regs were designed to come in to force in July, but were suddenly brought forward without notice. Could just be a massive error.

And it was NOT illegal to post/receive scent here before!
    Customs have been merrily charging duty, vat, handling, etc., for years! Not destroying it as 'contraband'.

Not that I've read anything about receiving being a problem, as it's coming in from all reports, just not going out.
    If they were (in UK) just trying to enforce the rules, I don't see the need to send it to Belfast for x-ray!

There was bit in the Spectator (not my usual reading - came up on a Google search) complaining about the recent lack of delivery speed, but they're closing some mail depots, pre-privatisation.

Who knows - if anyone does, please tell us 'cos it's annoying not understanding things
    Last edited by lpp; 27th February 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    > I am very sad to report that it is extremely difficult to buy perfume on the Internet and have it shipped to US military bases overseas. Pretty much impossible, due to restrictions I don't honestly understand. Even solid perfume is verboten! With the euro so high, buying perfume on the European economy is molto caro!! PXes have limited stock and sell at strictly retail prices. Anyone had any good experiences, or at least explanations, on buying perfume from US companies and having it shipped? BTW, shipping from the US to the bases overseas is not international mail, it's *all US Postal Service.
    Shipping to a Military base is not considered International Mail, but Domestic Mail, but would still be under the same restrictions as any other mail, no-go on anything considered flammable that is transported by Air.

I also would guarantee you that the scanning of packages going to a Military base will be much more ridged than regular mail for the obvious reasons.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks for your post Lpp ~ bizarre.....I personally don't see a connection there though.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

@ palmbeach: agreed. My understand of the military mail flow is that it makes its way onto passenger flights provided there is room; hence, it all goes through whatever x-ray screening is done on commercial flights for checked-in baggage.

@ david: You're right. Bombs. Not ones masquerading as perfume... but the real ones that were looking like ink cartridges (iirc). The heightened level of reminders from our post offices and/or increased screenings by them or customs seems to be emanating from the 2010 bomb scare incident (2 separate private carriers, both coming from Yemen) and the U.S. reaction causing havoc in the internation mail flow.

There are 2 great articles (pp. 9 & 13) explaining it all: http://news.upu.int/uploads/media/un..._2_2012_en.pdf

The mentioned UPU security chain standards were apparently both approved at its Oct2012 Doha Congress. As of yet, I've not been able to find any documentation trail referencing the UPU security chain standards to the ICAO, IATA, our goverment regs, or postal regs.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I was at FT Meade and had cologne shipped me to me. I think it was vials though not bottles

Basenotes Plus

Not suggesting mail goes by Military air, just interesting that the unexpectedly sudden P.O. restrictions came in same day as the other announcement?

@ DuNezDeBuzier - thanks!
    Last edited by lpp; 28th February 2013 at 07:58 AM.