Code of Conduct

Default New: Bue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone.

From Moodiereport.com

Name: Blue Agava & Cacao
    Brand: Jo Malone (Estée Lauder)
    Nose: ? Is this the first fragrance created post Jo Malone's resignment?

The Blue Agava & Cacao juice – described as “effortlessly modern”:
    top: lime oil, grapefruit, birgaradia, cardamom and red berry
    heart: agava flower (family of the lily), sea salt, orchid, geranium and white lily
    basenotes: blend of chypre, cocoa, vetiver, cinnamon, musk and vanilla beans.

Default Re: New: Bue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone.

I believe you are correct and this is the first fragrance since Jo retired.
    DONNA

I wonder if Jo Malone worked on it before she left. The composition seams somewhat abstract compared to Malone's signature single notes, though last year's Pomegranate Noir is also rather abstract.

I came across a Jo Malone presentation in a shop recently and hoped it was the arrival of this scent, but it wasn't. I'm finally interested in a Jo Malone with this fragrance. I have gone out of my way to avoid it previously and have only smelled Pom. Noir.

I'm wearing as my SOTD. I bought a sample on ebay which arrived this morning.

First of all I have to say that it's very "un-Jo Malone" in the way that Blue Agava isn't a single noted fragrance. Last year's Pomegranate Noir was already exploring this path with it's fruit and patchouli mixture. With Jo Malone's departure from her company this spring it seams like the people at Estée Lauder decided with Blue Agava to go on step more in the way of "abstract" fragrances and maybe along the way target customers who like more complex blends. This is also the first oriental in the JM line, yet to stay in the house style it's softer than your typical oriental, I'd say it's a creamy woody floral.

Upon application I first smelled the cacao. Directly after that the red fruits and the floral heart; and next to that a soft cinnamon note. Rather quickly, after about 5 minutes, all the different notes become one. The result is something not too far from Dolce Vita by Dior and Féminité du Bois by Shiseido, but not exactly the same either. There is this strange oak barrel note in the base that further reminds me also of Cellar candle by Pierre Frapin.

I would say Blue Agava is unisex even with it's floral heart, the woody notes make it masculine enough. Of course in true JM style you could layer it with another fragrance to make it either more feminine or masculine. The JM website advice to layer it with the Amber & Lavender cologne.

For a cologne Blue Agava has a good staying power, something JM improved already upon with Nectarine Blossom & Honey and Pomegranate Noir.

Overall a nice, different Jo Malone!

I'm glad to hear that Malone's firm is moving away -- albeit with this one scent, perhaps -- from linear compositions. I dearly love Amber & Lavender, true, but the Nutmeg Ginger combo just about killed me with its two-note starkness. (And I'm a spice freak!)

Tonight I have layered Blue Agava with Amber & Lavender like recommended. The result is cleaner and more powdery.