Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

I"m talking perfume here that makes a statement. Like Guerlain's Shalimar, Yves Saint Laurent's Opium, or Christian Dior's Poison. I"m in search of a perfume ( as a gift ) that is brazen and has a statement. Any suggestions please?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Default Re: Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

How about MPG's Secrete Datura? It's a mix of white flowers, vanilla, and sandlewood. I bought the small 15ml bottle but it packs a punch so it will last me a looong time.It's so heady and creamy but spicy at the same time. The first time I took a whiff I was was taken aback, but it is my favorite "big" scent. The larger bottle, while pricey is very beautiful. Perfumebay sells samples of the whole Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier line for $1.99 each.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Arrow Re: Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    I"m talking perfume here that makes a statement...I"m in search of a perfume ( as a gift ) that is brazen and has a statement...
    Joy by Jean Patou
    Ysatis by Givenchy

Potent and dramatic is Chopard's Madness.
    Notes are:

"Top note : Pink Lychee, Kumquat, Pink pepper

Middle note : Flamboyant, Rose, Hibiscus

Base note : Palissander, Pao Rosa wood, Cotton Flower"

Definitely NOT a wall-flower, it's also quite unique.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Definitely consider Hermès 24, Faubourg. The elements are simple enough: bergamot, peach, hyacinth, tiare, orange, vanilla, amber; but don't be fooled. This is a worldly woman's perfume--woman as in Ingrid Bergman--confident, elegant, classic.

Darn, I think I just talked myself into getting some. I haven't smelled any in about a year.

Alternatively, take a modern turn and try statement-maker Bond No. 9's New Haarlem. I think it's the most popular of the line, and there ain't nothing else out there like it.
    Last edited by Quarry; 24th June 2006 at 03:28 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I guess it would be hard to beat Aromatics Elixir in potency...
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I'll agree with Aromatics Elixir but will also nominate Shocking and Coco. They'll knock her socks off. I frequently wear Shocking to my Red Hat events since I'm a huge Mae West fan.

Hah! Forgot to suggest Le Baiser Du Dragon and the beautiful Estee Lauder scents, Estee and Private Collection. Stand back for a half hour or so after these guys. The drydown is worth the wait, though.

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

Well, I'm not a female but I know a few of 'your' frags that I love. I just ordered a bottle of Montale's Sandalsilver from Vijay, one of our members as it's the strongest, in-your-face sandalwood, etc. scents I've ever smelled and it's mesmerizing.

Vijay sent me some samples of Montale's scents and when I tried Ss, I was hooked. Gave my sample to a female co-worker and she almost swooned over it! It is truly an outstanding and different fragrance. It may make you perspire(wink!).

Btw, if any of y'all order anything from him, make sure he know's you are a BN member. He just might surprise you.................in a good way!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

How could no one have mentioned Thierry Mugler's Angel? Talk about a statement!
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Tiffany

Wink Re: Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

Fracas!!!

Thank you for all your responses! Wow-- did I come to the right place:-) I'll have to look for Chopard's Madness, Aromatics Exlixir and all the scents recommended. Remember the stronger and more power it has, the better. Ohhh yeah, how can I forget Fracas. Imagine Fracas on amphetimines..That would be awesome! Thanks again... keep the suggestions going!!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I second Angel and Aromatics Elixer. Don't forget Addict and Opium.
    I find Coco, also, a statement, but too green for me.
    Tabac Blond (Caron) makes quite a statement, but of a more subtle nature.

I'd like to add Blonde by Versace, louder than Fracas, Fracas is a kitten on my skin for some reason. Mahora by Guerlain is loud, proud and in your face. I love her!

The aforementioned Fracas would be a good choice.
    While the "other" Piguet scent -- Bandit -- would be a rather brazen
    scent to expect a woman to wear, I think I'd stick with Fracas for a
    gift.

Another oldie but goodie: L'Air du Temps.

If you feel like spending some money:
    Joy parfum
    Jicky parfum

2nd Jicky Parfum.
    Quintissential classic.

I have to go with my Fumerie Turque on this one. It's complex, rich, smoky, honey rose. I always feel it calls for a black leather bustier, stilettos, and ruby red lips. A little goes a long way, it lasts forever, and changes each hour.

Chinatown by Bond #9 is a strong, herbally, tropical gardenia with vanilla that is quite distinctive. It lasts very well, in a bit of a linear manner, but it's so delightful up front I don't mind.

These are the only two in my collection that I think of as potent, and in a good way. I apply them with a carefully light hand.

i agree with many of the scents posted here but i would never think that l'air du temps to be strong nor potent..maybe in parfum form? cause the edt is not so strong i mean...
    i have also been told by some women that they find lagerfeld's sun moon stars to be strong but i think it's more due to the sillage and longevity (wich is very long) than actual potency..
    i mean i would call Poison strong as well as both Trésor and Poème..
    there are many more (usually french) perfumes that are potent..i think the list would be very long

hi
    i have one to recommed that describes what your looking for ..have your tried "Or Noir "by Morabito? i highly reccomend it..a real statement maker.....stop you dead in your tracks .type fragrance,..i mean that in a very good way ..suzy

Quote Originally Posted by keyescrib
    hi
    i have one to recommed that describes what your looking for ..have your tried "Or Noir "by Morabito? i highly reccomend it..a real statement maker.....stop you dead in your tracks .type fragrance,..i mean that in a very good way ..suzy
    I've heard of that one Suzy. Thank you for your suggestion. Next time I go to a perfume shop, I'll definitely keep that on in mind. Thanks again.

Basenotes Plus

Rochas Femme is goddess perfume.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961
    Rochas Femme is goddess perfume.
    That is docluv45's SoTd. Interesting-- it must be good!

Giving a new gangbuster as a gift sounds like a risky proposition. What is your thinking on this Aubrgene? Are you going on the recipient's personality or her already disclosed preferences? I'd be afraid to do this, although I am one who wants to be quite sure that if I give a gift it will be well received. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Eau_Boy
    Giving a new gangbuster as a gift sounds like a risky proposition. What is your thinking on this Aubrgene? Are you going on the recipient's personality or her already disclosed preferences? I'd be afraid to do this, although I am one who wants to be quite sure that if I give a gift it will be well received. What do you think?
    I'm giving it as a gift to a long time friend whose taste I know in fragrances well enough. She wears Opium perfume at daytime and sports a Clara Bow haircut. Very unique indeed. In fact I saw her last night at a dinner party. I've asked her 3 times what fragrance she was wearing and adamantly refused to give me a straight answer. It was strong....very potent! Very spicy/ floral.

Try Samsara.

Just adding...forgive me if some of them already have been mentioned:

Narcisse Noir
    Mitsouko
    Habanita
    Vol de Nuit
    Bal a Versailles
    Diva
    Paloma Picasso
    Panthere
    Byzance
    Nu

A lot of good suggestions here, IMO. And BTW, all Pascal Morabito fragrances are real jewels, virtually impossible to find and test on this side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by dorthea
    Just adding...forgive me if some of them already have been mentioned:

Narcisse Noir
    Mitsouko
    Habanita
    Vol de Nuit
    Bal a Versailles
    Diva
    Paloma Picasso
    Panthere
    Byzance
    Nu
    Thanks Dorthea for the list. I think she wore Habanita once at a Christmas party. That's a good one!!

Hello,

The moment I read the thread topic I thought of Poême for some reason... have not worn it myself for ages... but maybe tomorrow

Also I'd love to second NU, Coco, Rochas Femme, Youth Dew and add to the list
    Hypnotic Poison
    AGENT PROVOCATEUR
    Trussardi Donna
    Fendi
    GUCCI EAU DE PARFUM
    Sublime

Best of luck

i love Mahora too !! sooo good..suzy

Wink Re: Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    I'd like to add Blonde by Versace, louder than Fracas, Fracas is a kitten on my skin for some reason. Mahora by Guerlain is loud, proud and in your face. I love her!
    i love Mahora too !! sooo good..suzy
    im here looking for Twolf

Page 3 Suzy, look right hand corner #28

Overcome By Fumes

Little did I know that I had reached Goddess status...

I'd consider Schiaparelli Zut, a great spicy oriental with an audacious name and packaging to boot!

Bulgari Black. Very original.

The Basenotes reviews are at: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120268.html

Closely related to Chanel 'Cuir de Russie', Caron 'Tabac Blond' and Gres 'Cabochard'. All huge beauties.

Sold as a "shared" gender fragrance.

Luca Turin, if he is familiar to you, considers this one of his top 10 modern fragrances.

It is terrific stuff. For a woman who believes in confidence, is an original and has some attitude.

A plus is that, since it was designed for men as well as women, it was produced as Eau de Toilette. (Bulgari's marketing people know men get nervous about wearing Parfum or Eau de Parfum.) It is inexpensive - 2.7 ounces a mere $30. Don't let the price make you think less of this. It is a great creation. The creator was Annick Ménardo a highly respected perfumeur. It is a BIG fragrance.
    Last edited by Strange Accord; 29th June 2006 at 07:18 AM.

Hi, I'd go with Hermes Calèche, a true lady's perfume. Extremely elegant and refined.

May I suggest Feminite du Bois (Shiseido) as it is a real gem.
    Quite spicy/woodsy and bound to get you noticed.

Malabah by Penhaligon's -
    a real gentlemenizer!

-
    My ten favorites in September (fragrances alphabetical)

Blu di Provenza Pal Zileri Collezione Privata
    Cedre Ambré Pierre Cardin Collection
    Eau de Cologne of Turnball & Asser Penhaligon's
    Eau de France - Rue Rancé Rancé 1795
    Eau de Santal Floris
    Homme Marbert
    No. 88 Czech & Speake
    Pour Homme S.T. Dupont
    Royal Arms Diamond Edition Floris Private Collection
    The Dreamer Versace

Joop Femme

This scent very boldly makes a potent statement and leaves a signature card behind of were you can be found......

I've seen good suggestions here, but I may add Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood.
    It's very potent, very feminine, in the lines of Hypnotic Poison.
    The other one making a real appearance is Narcisse Noir Caron.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Adding to the list:

Norma Kamali Perfume (that's what it's called) a very heady floriental bound to turn heads- wow!

Jil Sander No 4 - rich, lush, floral with Oriental undercurrents.

Aqaba - a strong, spicy, rose laced with incense.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

i forgot to mention some other "potents":

organza indécence (givenchy)
    and the original fendi for women..

Don't know if you you are a Patchouli fan but I think Jalaine's Patchouli makes a statement. I am often complimented when I wear it by both men and women and it seems to have fabulous staying power on me. Also, I was thrilled to see that Jalaine finally launched her own site which makes sampling a lot cheaper than purchasing them from Aedes or Luckyscent.

It's at jalainesfragrances.com

Chloe Narcisse

Caron's Narcisse Noir will definitely make a statement: Look out folks, here I come!!

Musc Ravageur my man! my wife has hidden my bottle!

Youth Dew, or Youth Dew Amber Nude. Not a shrinking violet molecule in the whole bottle.
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

Caron Tabac Blond!

Well, the ones that seem like they make a "statement" to me are the richer, deeper more classically-styled ones. I'm thinking of Le Parfum de Therese from Malle, and also the Divine women's scents. They smell like "woman" to me, as opposed to so many others, which smell like "girl" to me.

... and also, I forget "CORNUBIA" by Penhaligon's

My ten favorites in September (fragrances alphabetical)

Blu di Provenza Pal Zileri Collezione Privata
    Cedre Ambré Pierre Cardin Collection
    Eau de Cologne of Turnball & Asser Penhaligon's
    Eau de France - Rue Rancé Rancé 1795
    Eau de Santal Floris
    Homme Marbert
    No. 88 Czech & Speake
    Pour Homme S.T. Dupont
    Royal Arms Diamond Edition Floris Private Collection
    The Dreamer Versace

Prada
    Youth Dew
    Shalimar
    Royal Secret

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

Opium Fleur de Oriental and Tom Ford Youth Dew Amber Nude and Hermes Ambre Narguile

Smile Re: Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

I love the strong stuff. I like wearing it to bed. My favorites are:

1. Krazy Krizia--super strong. Once a lady followed me into the bathroom from the dining room of the restaurant to find out what I was wearing. I have a big bottle. Think it is not hard to find online.

2. Dior Addict. Really great stuff! A lot like Krazy Krizia.

3. George Sand from MPG, This one is comforting and strong. Like a good glass of bourbon whiskey.

4. Latest that is a love/hate thing. Allure Sensuelle. Very strong but great when you want to feel like a cozy cat (Me! all the time).

Dior Addict,Lush Karma,Opium

get a bottle of serge lutens ambre sultan there can't be many more potent than this ,smells great on me and even better on my girlfriend .
    Last edited by fenton_t_fox; 13th July 2006 at 07:25 PM.

adding Montaigne from Caron

How could I have forgotten Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

Yes, it's for "Men" but believe me, it's a potent, long-lasting, sweet scent that fit's a Woman just fine IMO. Eh, V!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Frederic Malle Une fleur de Cassie
    Frederic Malle Une Rose
    Last edited by Tovah; 15th July 2006 at 02:26 AM.

Red face Re: Looking for a Potent Women's Fragrance.

Would have to be Opium the new one is Fleur Imperial, marvelous, Tom Ford Youth Dew Amber Nude and my all time favorite Hermes Ambre Narguile, also Narcisco Rodriguez is wonderful, you cant go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    Adding to the list:

Norma Kamali Perfume (that's what it's called) a very heady floriental bound to turn heads- wow!

Jil Sander No 4 - rich, lush, floral with Oriental undercurrents.

Aqaba - a strong, spicy, rose laced with incense.
    YES! I tried the Norma Kamali perfume in Paris last month and wow... a dab from the stopper is all I needed and this one stayed with me for hours! The drydown is also quite hauntingly beautiful. I am buying the Norma Kamali Incense blind as I read that layering them together is nothing short of amazing. Thanks for all the suggestions!!