Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default What frags have gone from "pew" to "I love you" for you?

I originally gave Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete a Pew Review. A year later, and I'm singing a different song, "Gotta have it in my wardrobe ... on my wrist and near my ear lobe."

I think we often go from loving a fragrance to tiring of it, but how about movement in the other direction? Have you experienced disgust then attraction?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thumbs up Re: What frags have gone from "pew" to "I love you" for you?

All of the Piguets...Fracas, Bandit and Musc Blanc. I LOVE MUSC BLANC, but hated it at first sniff. Bandit was "sweaty horse" at first smell, but it is in my permanent stable these days.

Default Re: What frags have gone from "pew" to "I love you" for you?

Samsara and Angel

Two that comes to my mind are Shalimar and Private Collection.

For me it would have to be Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain. When I first spayed it on me boy was I was glad that I only ordered 3 dollar samples. A few months later, after a few more tests, I'm really loving it and ordered the whole bottle:-) Kudos to Andy!!

Another fragrance that comes to mind is MPG's Santal Noble. The first whiff was "Argh"..... now i'm getting used to it. It's still falls short of saying I love it.. but then, I haven't given it enough time. I think it's more of a Fall/Winter scent.. so I"ll test it again later in the year.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I thought Fracas was AWFUL,BLEH,EWWW. Now I can't imagine how I had that reaction. My most favorite, my beloved, my cherished Farnesiana was VILE to me at first. Heavy and biting and just plain hated it...now I pray at her shrine. Luckily my words taste like chocolate cheescake, so I don't mind eating them.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline
    Bandit was "sweaty horse" at first smell, but it is in my permanent stable these days.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Estee Lauder's Youth Dew. It made me feel like a cinnamon roll with a clove garnish on the side at first. Hideous combo. Now, I couldn't live without it in winter.

it's strange i don't have in general patience to go back to something that i didn't like at first but i standed corrected with my opinions on these scents: (that now i love)
    tommy summer 2005 for men
    ck's obsession night for men(thanks for the little push to re-try this one perfumecritic!)
    happy in bloom
    a*men (wich was too wodsy at first and then later on i loved the deep dark chocolate in it)

I have to go with Fracas as well. I remember trying it and thinking, ewwwwwwwwwww! Then I grew a little older, and perhaps a little bolder and now I wear it thinking, oooooooooh! Okay, okay--I'm a lot older, but that's beside the point.

Angel. It was the body cream that reeled me in, it's so luscious.

Fracas. I didn't care for it so much in the sample vial, it seemed so harsh. To really test a fragrance, I prefer to spray, so once I was able to spray it on I loved it, the drydown is divine!

That would be:

Une Fleur de Cassie
    Rochas Femme
    Chopard Casmir
    Alien
    Crystal Noir

Light Blue! I could not figure out what all the hoopla was about it. I tried it so many times but would just wash it off and shake my head thinking many of you were nuts.

And then one day... Ta-Da! It is one of my main stays throughout the summer months.
    Last edited by Beebee; 5th July 2006 at 03:52 AM.
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Agent Provocateur, Feminité du Bois and Musc Ravageur are a few I can think of.

Acier Aluminium and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie are the two most extreme examples for me. I did not like either at first sniff. Now they are amongst my favorites.

There are many others I thought were just so-so at first, but which have grown on me with time.

I originally thought Mitsouko was too dry for me. But after wearing it a few times, and really trying to understand it, it is a scent that will never be absent from my wardrobe.

My two new favoaurites - Agent Provocateur and Narciso Rodriguez - I did not like from first sniff at all. I tried Narciso Rodriguez many, many times before I gave up and figured out I actually love it and not hate it. Agent Provocateur smelled to me acidic, sour, uric, anything but a scent that I would like to wear. But after finishing my first sample of it I understood how much I love it. It's hard to find a Chypre I wouldn't like, and even though this is not strictly a Chypre, it has chyprish elements and character. I like the woody, dry vetiver note in it, the spicy saffron-rose accord, and finally - the musky drydown. It's actually not so much an "in your face" scent that I thought it was at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline
    Bandit was "sweaty horse" at first smell, but it is in my permanent stable these days.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    Luckily my words taste like chocolate cheescake, so I don't mind eating them.
    Some of you Basenoters are so cute with words!

I am seeing so many references to Fracas. It is in my "Hope I can sell this" box. Dang, it seemed yucky. I know, I know, now I must go find it in the basement and try to fall in love with that sucker. So I will. It is an arranged marriage that perhaps my wiser superiors are right about forcing me into. Unimagineable today.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Accord
    I am seeing so many references to Fracas. It is in my "Hope I can sell this" box. Dang, it seemed yucky. I know, I know, now I must go find it in the basement and try to fall in love with that sucker. So I will. It is an arranged marriage that perhaps my wiser superiors are right about forcing me into. Unimagineable today.
    I've been having similar thoughts. Musse sent me a sample of Fracas, and I'm trying to bring myself to give it a decent trial, but when I uncork that little sucker, the smell of artificial butter (the kind they use for microwave popcorn) makes me purse my lips and close my eyes. Strange Accord, be brave for both of us, you go first!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Strange Accord, be brave for both of us, you go first!
    I occasionally smell a fragrance that is so difficult for me that I actually feel queesy. Then I can't use fragrance for days. This is what happened the two times I tried Fracas. I honestly worry that some day a fragrance will be so aversive it will take me MONTHS to enjoy fragrance again. It is odd how the experience puts me off all fragrances for a while. Anyway, I have that fear that if I try to work on learning to love Fracas, I will end up off fragrance for months.

Yet I love the idea of working on learning to love a fragrance that I find so difficult.

Mitsouko; took me a while to appreciate her.

Have a couple of frags hanging out there that I hope to (gulp) love. L'Heure Bleu is one that I still can't get the hang of. There are so many raves out there for L'Heure Bleu that I know I should be able to appreciate her too ...

Krysia

I think that for me it must have been Jean Patou's Joy by far.
    I got it unsniffed when I started to collect perfumes. I had my father buy the tiny pure perfume Chinese-like flaconette out of a duty free trolley on a plane. I think I was 15 then (and very spoiled) and sure wasn't ready for a animalistic floral like Joy at the time. To me it smelled like a very strong wine, go figure... Now I find Joy extremely chic.
    Strangely during the same period (maybe a year later) I was already very attracted to 1000, though it isn't the easiest of fragrances.

Wink Re: What frags have gone from "pew" to "I love you" for you?

Nu YSL - at first I did not like at all, but after some time ... I completely change my mind and Nu became one of my favourites.

Caron Tabac Blond extrait.

A year ago, this one was just way too wierd for me.

Now, I love it. The top notes are still a little difficult to accept, but overall, I love this fragrance.