Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Yatagan is a fantastic choice for HOT weather

It is very warm day here, and Yatagan being my sotd I came to think of this once again: How amazing scent this is indeed for summer!

Yep, to me Yatagan is most definitely a SUMMER scent. And though it may sound strange, I know there must be people who agree with me on this..

I mean, heat treats this scent SOOOOO GOOD! Warmth of sun seems to reveal all secrets of this scent: It is so rich and complex, and to me this is perhaps the most lively scent experience in existance. Yatagan is a real match made in heaven with skin - would be a crime to spray this one on clothes!

Warm, breathing scent that lingers on my skin all day through in spectacular style. Sometimes is smells like a sand on the beach, sometimes I get the notes of some warm animals...and everything in between...
    Really, very much is happening with this scent on a hot day like this. Earthy, animalic and very natural with great forested charachter.

This is what I call Art of Perfumery!

Default Re: Yatagan is a fantastic choice for HOT weather

PM, I couldn't agree more, in fact, it is like this with many of the scents people would classify as 'winter' scents IMO. Antaeus is the same way I've found, the heat brings out the magic in many of these scents.

I find myself agreeing with you guys a lot! I've experienced the same with other so-called winter frags. If I use a light touch, they're not too heavy, and something about the heat and the sweat just makes notes pop out that I otherwise wouldn't have noticed.

Throw in Jicky and Fendi Uomo to the mix, it brings out the best of the fragrance in hot weather! I think that a lot of people just feel bothered by their scent being insistent during the Summer, so that's why a lot of lighter, fresher scents are recommended. But if you prefer the effect of bon sillage on your deeper, or sophisticated scents then no scent at all should stop you.

Come to think of it, did those who wore pure perfumes in other ages and hotter climates change their perfumes when the weather changed? Probably not, since it was generally worth your first born. They probably still remained spicy and aromatic, so, to each his own, wear what you want!

I think a lot of scents with sweet florals a la Gaultier2 and Dreamer smell so smouldering and passionate in hot, humid weather.

I agree- I wore this yesterday on an unseasonably humid LA afternoon and it was great- the heat brought out the depth of the layers in a way that actually softened the scent.

I have to agree!

In my "blind purchase"-thread, I remember several people claiming it was fine for summer days. After using it for the first time, I had some doubts about that. But now that I've tested it thoroughly, I know for sure that I can wear Yatagan no matter what the weather is like. What a brilliant and versatile fragrance!

I could go through a bottle of Yatagan fast if it weren't for all the others I own. It's not the fragrance that is often purported. It is on the other hand quite amazing. It is also one that can be applied liberally and worn most anytime. The women I know all love it. Me too.

I don't like the celery/mustard seed scent to it. Perhaps I will revisit this one day and draw a different conclusion. A fragrance in that vein that might be better in my opinion would be Antaeus.

Haven't tried Yatagan (yet) so I don't know how it performs in hot weather. But you can add Havana to the list. I think the heat accentuates all of its facets and nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    PM, I couldn't agree more, in fact, it is like this with many of the scents people would classify as 'winter' scents IMO. Antaeus is the same way I've found, the heat brings out the magic in many of these scents.
    Yes! I love Antaeus in the heat. And if I had a full bottle, I would definitely wear Yatagan in the summer.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Never tried Yatagan in the heat, but I totally agree about Antaeus and Jicky (specially the magical edp)!

I'll try Yatagan tomorrow. It's interesting how some 'heavy, winter" scents do very well in the summer. I discovered this a couple of weeks ago when I wore Frederic Malle's Noir Epices! Thanks for sharing:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Yes I agree - on hot days, scents can undergo a transformation and some of the more muted notes can come alive. I have experienced this with Guerlain Vetiver - the tobacco in that becomes more pronounced when worn on a hot day.
    -

I have my first blind bottle of Y on the way.

I too just rediscovered Guerlain's Vetiver in the hot days down here. I didn't care for it in the cold months but it's a clean smelling scent as the sun heat's up my skin and the GV sprayed on it.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Man, this is interesting information. I would have never thought of trying Yatagan or Antaeus in the heat, but now I will. Thanks!

I like Antaeus too in summer, but I think Yatagan is even much more amazing "heatwave" scent. Yatagan is more earthy imo. It is surely amazing experience to wear this scent on hot days, and I`m sure I will never wear Yatagan again but only in the summertime.

Yatagan - the BEST summer scent I know!!!

Caron kindly sent me a sample of Yatagan that arrived in the post just this morning, so I may well wear it tomorrow, or more likely on Monday (for work!)

Looking forward to experiencing it in the heat after reading all this. I haven't tried Y before, in any weather, so it could be very interesting.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I got Yatagan a couple of months ago. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. It's strong going on, but when it dries down, it becomes a very nice incense type of fragrance. It has a slight sweetness to it, but definitely not a floral type of sweet. It's more like an animal, fleshy sort of sweetness.

S
    Last edited by stevolution; 30th July 2006 at 01:40 AM.

Update to my earlier post....

Well, I tried out a tiny amount of the Yatagan sample on the back of my hand earlier this morning and have discovered I don't like this at all! The celery is very prominent, and then it dries down to a salty, savoury broth. There is something meaty like dried blood that I assume must be the castoreum basenote. The idea of wearing this through a hot day is scary!

No offence intended, but I can't understand what anyone could find to like about this awful "fragrance". Where is the beauty? No matter what the weather was, I could never enjoy wearing it. Too animalic for me.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Update to my earlier post....

Well, I tried out a tiny amount of the Yatagan sample on the back of my hand earlier this morning and have discovered I don't like this at all! The celery is very prominent, and then it dries down to a salty, savoury broth. There is something meaty like dried blood that I assume must be the castoreum basenote. The idea of wearing this through a hot day is scary!

No offence intended, but I can't understand what anyone could find to like about this awful "fragrance". Where is the beauty? No matter what the weather was, I could never enjoy wearing it. Too animalic for me.
    I guess the beauty of Yatagan is that it has no beauty in the traditional sense. It is perhaps a different perspective on beauty: natural, raw, earthy, and animalic. I wouldn't wear it to the office, but it's great outdoors in the summer, especially if you are in a rural setting. Then it blends perfectly with the surroundings. Even then, I have to be in the mood for it. When I am in the mood for Yatagan, nothing else fits the bill.

Yatagan is a fragrance I had to get used to. I was'nt sure about it and I found simularities upon application to Devin, which I hate. The dry-down is what got me locked in. On my skin, it's a warm, aminalic, incense-y smell that's not to loud. It's actually quite subtle. There's also a note in it that reminds me of distant bonfires. And as far as the celery note?...It reminded me more of fenugreek than celery.

If you are the type of person that likes the fresh type of frags, stay away...you won't like it. I happen to love dark, animalic frags, although I do enjoy quite a few fresh ones too. My recently acquired Harissa is getting alot of use.

S

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution
    And as far as the celery note?...It reminded me more of fenugreek than celery.
    Some days it smells like mustard to me. Those are the days I have a tough time wearing it. On those days, I feel like a hotdog.

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution
    If you are the type of person that likes the fresh type of frags, stay away...you won't like it. I happen to love dark, animalic frags, although I do enjoy quite a few fresh ones too. My recently acquired Harissa is getting alot of use.
    For sure - not for the fresh crowd! If you like dark and animalic, if you haven't already, try Balenciaga Portos. Somewhat similar, but replace the herbs and dustiness with dirty spices.

Thumbs up Re: Yatagan is a fantastic choice for HOT weather

It is. I have always wondered when to wear Yatagan. After reading this thread I tried it in the summer and it is perfect this time of year. Its herbal nature is just as refreshing as any aquatic on a hot and humid summer day.

I actually find Yatagan hard to wear when it is cooler, or in an air-conditioned office, it seems like it only works when it is very hot outside, and then it is just right.

By the way, other scents that are great for the summer: Guerlain's Vetiver and YSL's Kouros.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for bumping this thread Atlas. I agree with you, having been playing around with the samples (new and vintage) of this juice since last week it wears incredibly well in sticky, hot Miami summer weather. In fact, wet perspiration (like in Terre de Hermes and Virgin Island Water) brings out another dimension to the scent entirely.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

This is a good example of experimentation with different fragrances in different conditions yielding positive and often surprising results. Some choices of fragrances seem obvious when it is warm or cold, but there is a strong case for simplying following your nose. I keep a scent log recording what I wear, in what circumstances and in what temperatures they were applied. It ensures that moments of serendipity can be beneficial for future choices. I shall endeavour to try out Yatagan in the warmer weather, having arrogantly consigned it to my cooler weather wardrobe.

I've never owned a bottle of Yatagan so far but I did have a large sample out of which I've given it a test ride about twice. I'll agree with you guys -- it works very well in hot/humid weather. So much so that I can't see it working to it's fullest potential in cold weather.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sur la Plage

I have worn Yatagan in all different seasons/temperatures. It is a great choice anytime.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yatagan, along with Versace L' Homme, is a teriffic year round fragrance that I can wear without even regarding the weather conditions. Always nice and delightfully fragrant. Don't like aquatics or citrussy fragrances ( save Signoricci) in the cooler months and can't bring myself to use K10, JHL or even Heritage in the heat and humidity of our summers.

Yatagan is one for the ages