Code of Conduct

Default I Think I Found my Signature Scent

Well, I discovered www.loveofscents.com where they sell alcohol-free, oil versions of fragrances, so I ordered several samples of different fragrances. With each order, they throw in a free sample, and they threw in "Platinum", their version of Chanel's Platinum Egoiste. I wasn't too impressed with the samples I ordered (I think the Allure had too much vanilla in it), but from the first sniff of Platinum, I was hooked: I REALLY like that unique, cinnamony smell. Actually, I had sniffed the original Platinum before, on paper, and thought it was nothing special... and although they are similar, and I have now worn BOTH, I can honestly say this oil version is BETTER than Chanel's version. So there it is: unless a better scent drifts my way, Platinum is my signature scent.
    Favorite blend:

Piment Brulant by L'Artisan (2 sprays)
    and
    Plum Japonais by Tom Ford (1 spray)

Default Re: I Think I Found my Signature Scent

They offer these same perfume oils on eBay too, right? I'm curious with a lot of their offerings.

Glad you could break out of the designer/niche cluster and found something that you could identify with, something that says it's YOU! Definitely for way, way less than you need to spend for something that makes your nose ROCK!

Well, a few weeks ago I announced I had FINALLY found my Signature Scent: Platinum. Well: almost immediately after my announcement, I lost interest in it, and didn't even want to wear it. Hmmmm: was I so anxious to finally CHOOSE a fragrance that I jumped the gun? Looks like it! Since then, I have fallen in love with another: namely, Nautica Voyage. ( Years ago I actually wore the original Nautica, I don't even like it now: too "salty" or something.) So anyway, I was wrong... or was I? The weather wasn't as HOT as it is now, so maybe that has affected my decision. Maybe there's no such thing as a signature scent year round, since some fragrances seem to fit cold weather better. (As much as I like Gucci, I have NO desire to wear it in the summertime.) Although I didn't decide on Platinum in the wintertime, the fact that it wasn't as hot as it is now has evidently affected my decision. So right now, here in Texas, where it's been triple-digit temperatures for a record number of weeks, my favorite fragrance of all is Nautica Voyage. And although the longevity isn't the best, it doesn't smell like anything else out there. And the deodorant is good, too. I am surprised more people aren't as crazy about it as I am. A truly heavenly scent.
    Favorite blend:

and

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home
    Well, I discovered www.loveofscents.com where they sell alcohol-free, oil versions of fragrances, so I ordered several samples of different fragrances. With each order, they throw in a free sample, and they threw in "Platinum", their version of Chanel's Platinum Egoiste. I wasn't too impressed with the samples I ordered (I think the Allure had too much vanilla in it), but from the first sniff of Platinum, I was hooked: I REALLY like that unique, cinnamony smell. Actually, I had sniffed the original Platinum before, on paper, and thought it was nothing special... and although they are similar, and I have now worn BOTH, I can honestly say this oil version is BETTER than Chanel's version. So there it is: unless a better scent drifts my way, Platinum is my signature scent.
    What's your definition of a "Signature" scent? Does this mean you won't wear other fragrances?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

My sig is Guess Man, I think you'd like it. I love Voyage too. Signature to me is just you wear it more often and you'd like to think that people associate it with you when they smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    .....Signature to me is just you wear it more often and you'd like to think that people associate it with you when they smell it.
    That's how I'd define it also, genvy5.

Certainly I've met some people out who seem to wear one scent almost continuously and it does become associated with them. For example, one good friend of mine owns just three frags in his "collection" (all in largest-size bottles): Chanel Pour Monsieur, Paco Rabanne PH, and Kouros. The one that I always associate him with is the Chanel, since he's usually wearing it when we meet, and it suits him very well. But he told me the other day that his clients like it when he wears his Kouros (he's a private nurse mostly dealing with wealthy elderly patients).

I've also been searching for a signature scent. Out of my current selection it could possibly be a close tie between Terre d'Hermès and Miller Harris Terre de Bois; both get worn a lot, and I feel "right" when I wear them. (Maybe I just like frags with the word "terre" in or something ). But I get so restless and keep wanting to buy and wear other fragrances, so for the time being, I remain a frag-slag!

Allen-at-Home, I hope Nautica Voyage continues to give you pleasure and perhaps become your "sig". You've made me want to try it to see what it's like! It has good reviews on its Basenotes Directory page, but I can't recall ever having noticed it in prominently displayed in any stores that I go to. The proof is always in the smelling, so will try to remember to ask about it next time I'm shopping.

- GIL
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Well, a few weeks ago I announced I had FINALLY found my Signature Scent: Platinum. Well: almost immediately after my announcement, I lost interest in it, and didn't even want to wear it. Hmmmm: was I so anxious to finally CHOOSE a fragrance that I jumped the gun? Looks like it! Since then, I have fallen in love with another: namely, Nautica Voyage. ( Years ago I actually wore the original Nautica, I don't even like it now: too "salty" or something.) So anyway, I was wrong... or was I? The weather wasn't as HOT as it is now, so maybe that has affected my decision. Maybe there's no such thing as a signature scent year round, since some fragrances seem to fit cold weather better. (As much as I like Gucci, I have NO desire to wear it in the summertime.) Although I didn't decide on Platinum in the wintertime, the fact that it wasn't as hot as it is now has evidently affected my decision. So right now, here in Texas, where it's been triple-digit temperatures for a record number of weeks, my favorite fragrance of all is Nautica Voyage. And although the longevity isn't the best, it doesn't smell like anything else out there. And the deodorant is good, too. I am surprised more people aren't as crazy about it as I am. A truly heavenly scent.

hii,. i tried last week and yeah great fragance. i like it very much, but like you,. the weather could be an influence to decide if i buy it or not in this moment. anyway ill wait until i could test " euphoria".

aubrgene wrote: What's your definition of a "Signature" scent? Does this mean you won't wear other fragrances?

Of course not: as others have said, it's a scent I want to be associated with... something I might wear, maybe, 3 days per week, but not all the time.
    Favorite blend:

and

GIL,
    I've never tried either of the "terre" scents, I don't recall ever seeing them: are they hard to find? I'm anxious to see what you think of Voyage: it doesn't smell ANYTHING like the original Nautica. Genvy5: I've never smelled Guess Man either. (Hmmm: maybe I should get out more.)
    Favorite blend:

and

GIL,
    I've never tried either of the "terre" scents, I don't recall ever seeing them: are they hard to find? I'm anxious to see what you think of Voyage: it doesn't smell ANYTHING like the original Nautica. Genvy5: I've never smelled Guess Man either. (Hmmm: maybe I should get out more.)
    Well, Terre d'Hermès seems to be pretty much everywhere (at least here in the UK). Terre de Bois by Miller Harris is a bit niche, and only stocked in certain stores, but should be easily available online somewhere.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews