Code of Conduct

Default The vBulletin Quirks Thread

Grant,

I thought it would be a good idea for us to post in one thread some of the little quirks with vBulleting as opposed to having multiple threads that could become difficult for you to manage. With the one thread you could also get a feel for the paticular quirks of the new board considered modifying them if you, indeed, feel the modification justifiable or even necessary. I don't want to seem ungrateful. I think we are all very fortunate to have vBulletin as our software; it certainly is superior to the previous system, and it has a lot of great features and the speed of uploading and access is very impressive. Thanks again for upgrading Grant.

1. The system uncapitalizes thread titles and only capitalize the first word of each word in the title. Is there a reason it does this?

2. Carriage returns at top or the bottom of the page are automatically removed.

3. It would be nice if the modify button was accessible from the top of the page instead of the bottom of the page only.

4. The number of characters allowed in individual personal messages is 5,000. Would it be at all possible to increase this number slightly.

5.It seems you can't put more than one space between words; any number of spaces still show up as one.

scentemental

P.S. My initial attempts at being playful and ironic seemed to have failed. Irony was never my strong point. I have modified my initial posts and the title of the thread so as not to offend anyone. That was never my intention.
    Last edited by scentemental; 2nd July 2006 at 12:44 AM.

Default Re: The Annoying vBulletin Quirks Thread

Awesome idea Scentemental!!!! Leave it to you to be so practical. I will be posting all the weird quirks in here as well. I have already posted a few like threads & forums mysteriously being unsubscribed.

A new one.......For some reason the edits i make to my sell list I often find undone. I will go to edit the list and hit save and edits i made a day or so ago will be undone. This is especially the case with spaces between lines. I will make the space between two lines 2 and will find a few days later its 8
    I redo the edit.....its 2 and then a day later its 8. The system is F*cking with me!!!! LOL and his name is Hal
    Last edited by Buffalo_Gals; 25th June 2006 at 11:24 PM.

Default Re: The vBulletin Quirks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gals
    Awesome idea Scentemental!!!! Leave it to you to be so practical. I will be posting all the weird quirks in here as well. I have already posted a few like threads & forums mysteriously being unsubscribed.

A new one.......For some reason the edits i make to my sell list I often find undone. I will go to edit the list and hit save and edits i made a day or so ago will be undone. This is especially the case with spaces between lines. I will make the space between two lines 2 and will find a few days later its 8
    I redo the edit.....its 2 and then a day later its 8. The system is F*cking with me!!!! LOL and his name is Hal

That seems like a serious glitch. Do you mean like the updating of a price or of a whole listing? That's pretty serious stuff.

I know for sure that you can't put more than one space between words; more than one space still shows up as one. I wonder if there is an autocorrect function at work.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 2nd July 2006 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [color=blue]

[b][color=red]1. Why does the wretched system uncapitalize thread titles and only capitalize the first word of each word in the title. This is a profound blow against freedom of expression and individuality.

]
    Maybe I can help out on this one. Rule #8 includes the following line:

"Members should avoid the use OF CAPS LOCK, using 'leet' speak or using 'u' for you etc. "

In the last few months a few members have used all caps for thread titles on the men's fragrance discussion board. When I've seen that I've asked them not to do it again and they've been apologetic and promised not to. I imagine Grant has set vBulletin to convert capitalized thread titles into standard title which is only the first letter of words capitalized. Thus vBulletin does the rule work for us.

Thus the quirk lies with the rules not with the new arrival of vBulletin.
    --Chris

P.S. I've edited my post because I don't want to give the impression I was offended. I never was.
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 26th June 2006 at 11:48 AM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

4. The number of characters allowed in individual personal messages is 5,000. Would it be at all possible to increase this number slightly.
    increased to 25,000.

Looking at the other points too - (plus BG's point)

Is it only editting to do with spacing, or is it changing text. I imagine if it is spacing etc then I guess vB is trying to be 'helpful' - if it is text then as Mr Scentemental says - its a bit more vSerious

Default Re: testing The vBulletin Quirks

I've put loads of spaces between here---> <----- and here
    plus lots above and below this

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin
    Is it only editting to do with spacing, or is it changing text. I imagine if it is spacing etc then I guess vB is trying to be 'helpful' - if it is text then as Mr Scentemental says - its a bit more vSerious
    Morning grant (for me anyway)

The problem is limited to spacing of line & justification only.
    My addition of tesxt or removal of text remains unaltered after i hit save

The helpful little vB Elf on his own decided to make my whole sell list centered.......It was left justified and one day i opened it after making a few minor test edits and it was mysteriously centered. Nothing serious.....just annoying I have no problem with spaces between letters or words just lines.
    Last edited by Buffalo_Gals; 26th June 2006 at 11:52 AM.

Question Re: The vBulletin Quirks Thread

Where are some of y'all getting Emoticons to post in your posts? I can only get the few at the bottom and they only appear at the end of the Title.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin
    increased to 25,000.

Looking at the other points too - (plus BG's point)
    As always Grant, heartfelt thanks for really attending to the little things and the big things and doing it so readily, efficiently, and graciously.

You are truly the King of Basenotes from which all largesse flows.

Gratefully,

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 2nd July 2006 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Where are some of y'all getting Emoticons to post in your posts? I can only get the few at the bottom and they only appear at the end of the Title.

Dan
    Dan follow Buffalo_Gals instructions to you on this thread for the same issue:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=183504

This is just in case you see this thread/post first.

Regards,

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 26th June 2006 at 07:03 PM.

. . . . I have no problem with spaces between letters or words just lines.
    That's very interesting. I don't have any of the problems Buffalo_Gals has, but I do have problems with something autocorrecting the spacing.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 2nd July 2006 at 12:43 AM.

Whenever I send a message and immediately check the sent message from my Sent Items folder, it always shows up as read. The icon I get next to the message is the "Read Message" and not the "Unread Message" icon.

I'd appreciate it some fellow Basenoters could let me know if what I just described is generally the case or if I am just a special case.

Thanks.

scentemental

I am not a computer expert by any means, but is not how one's browser interfaces with this or other websites going to affect various functions? For example, another member's picture appears as too large for the screen on my GF's computer and the one in my office. My home computer has no such problem. Any IT experts here?

How do we print a thread. I tried to do it using the print option, but it only printed the first page and not the full 9 pages of the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    How do we print a thread. I tried to do it using the print option, but it only printed the first page and not the full 9 pages of the thread?
    The best you can do is go into Thread Tools and select Show Printable Version. Once this displays, look in the upper right and click on "Show 100 posts from this thread on one page." If there are more than 100 posts, you will need to print a page at a time.