Code of Conduct

Default The Mark of a Good Sales Associate?

I was wondering what most of you would consider to be the mark of a good SA. Some ideas would be common among us all but what are those extra little things that makes your visit to the perfume counter a rewarding visit? This is a personal thing for each of us I suspect.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Mark of a Good Sales Associate?

There's a wonderful lady in my area named Carol. She actually gets to know what kind of person you are first and bases her recomendations off of that. I love being able to look at fragrences without an SA pushing Hugo on me. Its also nice that she learned the various products she's selling and can answer just about any question.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a SA at a fragrance counter. When I was a SA, I'd say hello, let them know I was there to answer any questions or to help in any way, and let them browse, without hovering. I hate when SA's hound over me while I'm sampling, to the point where I'll actually leave if they're persistent(total turnoff) so I treated the customers the way I wanted to be treated.

So, in a nutshell:
    1/Don't hover over the customers
    2/Be friendly and professional without being pushy
    3/Many fragrance SA's know little or nothing about fragrance. It helps big time if the SA is knowledgable about the product.
    4/Go out of your way to make the customer happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say no hovering. I avoid the counters now because I can't learn what I want to when the SA hovers and suggests one scent after another when I'm trying to just experience the scent. I don't mind a little chat as I enjoy talking and I do think that a knowledgable SA will take the time to see what I'm about before recommending.

Post Thanks / Like

A good professional SA in fragrance is someone who:

a.) is genuinely interested in the customer's likes and dislikes.

b.) has very good knowledge of the line the SA represents.

c.) Exercises patience and an earnest desire to keep the customer happy with the purchase. Nothing worse than a 'returned' opened box perfume.

d.) Keeps in touch and establishes a 'relationship' with the customer without being obsequious. This way the SA would contact a customer whenever there's a new scent that SA feels the customer might be interested in.

e.) last but not least, gives samples or offers to make a decant if customer is unable to make up mind which fragrance or fragrances to purchase. That would almost guarantee a repeat customer.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

1) acknowledgement of the customer when they walk in and an offer to help them if they need anything, without hovering.
    2) a reasonable knowledge of the product line and an interest in the customers current preferences - for recommendations.
    3) a willingness to make a sample or two for the customer to try at their leisure.
    4) as little bias as possible for 'pushing' certain lines. let the customer make up their own mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    d.) Keeps in touch and establishes a 'relationship' with the customer without being obsequious. This way the SA would contact a customer whenever there's a new scent that SA feels the customer might be interested in.
    I agree, as long as the customer CONSENTS to being contacted. If you don't establish with the customer that you may call him/her and get them to agree to it, you're just a telemarketer making unsolicited, annoying phone calls.

I personally DO NOT want SAs calling me at home.

Quote Originally Posted by DJB
    I agree, as long as the customer CONSENTS to being contacted. If you don't establish with the customer that you may call him/her and get them to agree to it, you're just a telemarketer making unsolicited, annoying phone calls.

I personally DO NOT want SAs calling me at home.
    This is true. I don't mind a SA calling to alert me of a new perfume but, a SA sent me some samples I requested and was calling every other day to see if I was ready to oreder! ROLMAO!

Also, I had a SA follow me to every fragrance I sprayed on a card and immediately asked "do you like that, what do you think?". There is nothing wrong asking if there is anything I liked but as many of you mentioned, the mark of a good SA will leave you to wander about until you've had time to arrive at some conclusions in your quiet study.

Everyone has made good comments! I have only found a few willing to make small decants if a sample was not available. I think that is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    A good professional SA in fragrance is someone who:

a.) is genuinely interested in the customer's likes and dislikes.

b.) has very good knowledge of the line the SA represents.

c.) Exercises patience and an earnest desire to keep the customer happy with the purchase. Nothing worse than a 'returned' opened box perfume.

e.) last but not least, gives samples or offers to make a decant if customer is unable to make up mind which fragrance or fragrances to purchase. That would almost guarantee a repeat customer.
    Second all that.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    Second all that.
    I third all of the above, but want to add that the SA should not just be familair with the product line they are selling, but should have a good general knowledge. I want to be able to ask for something "herbal" or an "oriental" or something with "leather notes" without being directed toward Lacoste Essential. Now I know this is the real world and SAs arent Basenoters, but this is what I'd want from an IDEAL sales associate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    I third all of the above, but want to add that the SA should not just be familair with the product line they are selling, but should have a good general knowledge. I want to be able to ask for something "herbal" or an "oriental" or something with "leather notes" without being directed toward Lacoste Essential. Now I know this is the real world and SAs arent Basenoters, but this is what I'd want from an IDEAL sales associate.
    I agree with Joel. That's one of the two things that I think makes a good SA--if they have made it their business to know what's generally out there and what's sold at the rival stores. I should be able to mention Hermès or some other main house and the SA should know generally what I'm talking about even if his/her store doesn't carry the line. Similarly, if the store carries Guerlain Vetiver I sort of expect the SA to know that Guerlain makes another famous classic, Habit Rouge, even if the store doesn't stock it.

The other thing that makes a good SA is one that doesn't BS me. So many times I've heard how impossible certain scents are to get--I should give up now--when I know that $20 to $40 in an online purchase will get them. A normally great SA who sells Molinard in her family's store told me I'd never find Madrigal since they didn't carry it. My twenty bucks said differently. That hurt her otherwise good credibility.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Very compelling indeed! I have only had the priviledge to work with such honorable SAs. On average, like the rest of us, I work with bad ones more often than good ones.

On one shopping spree, I went into a jewelry store just wondering around waiting for the cards I sprayed to settle down. A guy asked me what those where and I had no problem telling him what it was. Not only did he know all about hermes, he shared his thoughts about fragrance in general and seemed quite knowledgeable. The store? It was tiffany and co. BTW, I like their scents for men and women and wanted to buy it but thought I better wait.

VP

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a wonderful experience @ Dillards on Sunday. I initially went just to sniff & MAYBE pick something up. Of course I had already sniffed out most of the stuff there. A really nice older SA named Judy struck up conversation. She didn't try to push anything on me at first, she asked what all I liked. From there she recommended stuff, and of course most I had already tried and dismissed. She was very attentive when I told her what I liked and disliked about certain frags. And when I mentioned a few of my favorites, she asked if I needed back-ups because of certain free gifts I could get. In the end, I decided to get a back-up bottle of Reaction, because a) it's one of my very favorite scents (stop laughing), and b) they were offering a pretty cool free watch. Also, she said for the same price for one 3.4oz bottle, I could get a gift set w/ a bottle of aftershave which was basically a weaker version of the frag, so it was like I was getting a second bottle of cologne for free. She sold me on this...AND threw in 2 free Kenneth Cole bags (one tote and one messenger). She kept on saying how much she appreciated how nice and informative (she used that word!) I was. She's a winner in my book!

Post Thanks / Like

I like this one.I always tell a sales person not to harrass me. I hate those aggressive sales people.I know what I like when I smell it.Most times,these sales people are trying to sell the newest release.One sales lady in Orlando asked me what fragrances did I own.I named a few including A*men.She said,"Then you might like...Before she could finish,I said,"A*men".I stopped her dead in her sentence.This came as a spontneous reaction,as I dont like to be "know it all".Having been told it is against policy,I have received up to 5 samples.Maybe youve gotten more,but I consider this quite generous without a purchase.Its usually obvious what they are trying to sell.I always ask the sales person what do they personally like to test their honesty.If a woman is browsing,I ask her what purchases she has made.Ill just throw this in.Today, my car broke down.I knew I had plenty of gas.Anyway, just to be certain,I began to walk with my gas can.(I dont mind walking)I was passing an outlet mall.As I was walking,I decided to visit one of the stores to conduct an experiment.Upon entering,I went straight to the testers to find something to try in the hot weather as I was walking.I applied Chrome on my left wrist.I was looking for at least one more,but the sales person asked if she could help me.Gas can in hand and a bit greasy,I knew she though I was an unsavory character.I didnt ride with the initial sting.I told her the truth."While Im walking for gas,I decided to see what really lasts in hot weather.She just gave me one of those "ass kisser" laughs.Well, I finally got my gas.Chrome lasted pretty good considering it is a lighter scent.As it turns out,I had some bad gas in my car.I put some 93 octane in "Vanessa" and thats the end of the story.

oops said too much will restore later

anyone who can convince me to buy something i don't want/was not looking for.

I also agree with what was mentioned by DJB, aubergine and bad_dawg!

Post Thanks / Like

Anita, my main squeeze over at Barney's cosmetics counter, has my cell-phone number on speed dial for when Dzongkha hits the shelves. Massachusetts is having a tax-free-shop-till-your-credit-card-melts weekend, and I called ahead to make sure they have a psrticular Serge Lutens Im looking for. Anita put the last one aside with my name on it. She's the bees knees!

I have to amend Castorpollux's benchmark: any SA whose service is so superior that it makes me want to buy something for them, is solid gold

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: The Mark of a Good Sales Associate?

I am laughing my ass off reading this and being reminded of what happened to me the other day at Younkers. This cracked-out looking SA (female in her early 40's, short brown hair) would ask me if I'd smelled a fragrance (the obvious ones right now - Nautica Voyage, Reaction Ugh.) and I'd respond that yes I was familiar with it and give her a complete "Basenotes-esque" explanation as to exactly why; Naming particular notes, longevity issues etc. She didn't understand that I didn't need her help reccommending popular fragrances. Then, when I'd ask to try something, she'd spray the card and hand it to me, then give me this insane crooked-headed stare with her cracked out eyes, looking me straight in the face the entire time while I smelled it, just waiting for my response. It was really, really awkward. lol~
    Last edited by Scentronic; 19th August 2006 at 03:49 PM.

The main thing I ask is they stay the hell out of my way.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

The most important thing to me is generosity with samples.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    I am laughing my ass off reading this and being reminded of what happened to me the other day at Younkers. This cracked-out looking SA (female in her early 40's, short brown hair and cocaine eyes) would ask me if I'd smelled a fragrance (the obvious ones right now - Unforgivable, Nautica Voyage, Reaction Ugh.) and I'd respond that yes I was familiar with it and give her a complete "Basenotes-esque" explanation as to exactly why; Naming particular notes, longevity issues etc. She didn't understand that I didn't need her help reccommending popular fragrances. Then, when I'd ask to try something, she'd spray the card and hand it to me, then give me this insane crooked-headed stare with her cracked out eyes, looking me straight in the face the entire time while I smelled it, just waiting for my response. It was really, really awkward. lol~
    Sounds like an interesting experience though :-) Should have smoked a draw yrself just before going shopping - get on the wavelength etc!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

someone with genuine interest in/love of what they are selling

best of all someone who opens my eyes to something I would have missed on my own

well, I feel I shouldn't say it but the "it" factor matters, one way or the other. after all what is it we're shopping for? at least, it's been the thumb on the balance that weighed in finally with a "sale" in more than one instance. salesperson should either be a kind of star in my eyes or even better perhaps, make me feel like one. am speaking of charisma more than sex appeal.

It goes without saying salesperson should be honest, say, when something might not work as well as you think.

I have this gaultier shirt I bought that was a L and they told me "Oh it's one size only they didn't make a XL or XXL" and I realized later that must have been a BIG LIE! once I went to the good guys and had a particular model of camcorder in mind they didn't have so the salesperson assured me that this other one was the newer version of the same thing. it wasn't. also at good guys I paid way too much for it!
    Last edited by supermarky; 14th August 2006 at 11:23 AM.