Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Tam Dao: Damn POW!!!!

Okay, that title makes no sense at all, but that's what happens when I sniff something as incredible as Tam Dao and then scrurry to the computer to write about it. Those that know it know what I mean. Those that have never heard of it, its a creamy cedar-rosewood-sandalwood concoction that just hits the target perfectly. More later!
    There is no Nose....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tam Dao: Damn POW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    Okay, that title makes no sense at all, but that's what happens when I sniff something as incredible as Tam Dao and then scrurry to the computer to write about it. Those that know it know what I mean. Those that have never heard of it, its a creamy cedar-rosewood-sandalwood concoction that just hits the target perfectly. More later!
    Yesssss! You just wait too--ridiculous as this sounds, Tam Dao becomes a three dimensional column in my nose. Sandalwood turning around slowly for me to smell every side of it.

Incredible.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, guys but once again I am the "nay sayer". This one is chock full of Iso E-Super which you can spot if you have a weird nose like mine because along with the wonderful sandlewood I get a dill pickle thing going on. I experience the same thing with Passage D'Enfer and Tumulte. Has no one else experienced this?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like no fun, Paintrman. No, I get no pickles, my friend. (I think pickles smell pretty good by the way, although it might not be a fun association to make in anyone else's nose. I certainly much prefer the glam of slowly rotating columns or incense in old churches.)

I just love the stuff.
    --Chris

One of the Dawg's top 5, excellent.
    It compares very well to an eo sample of mysore, better than most.
    Last edited by Bad_Dawg; 27th June 2006 at 08:21 PM.

I slowly but surely tested the Diptyque line. I must say that I am not too impressed and will have to side with paintrman.

BTW, acetic acid is bascially vinegar. When I smell vinegar, I think pickle among other things. Thus, I wouldn't want my fragrance to smell like pickle as I foresee that as one nasty concoctioin!
    Last edited by Virtuoso Presto; 28th June 2006 at 03:02 AM.

Smile Re: Tam Dao: Damn POW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Yesssss! You just wait too--ridiculous as this sounds, Tam Dao becomes a three dimensional column in my nose. Sandalwood turning around slowly for me to smell every side of it.

Incredible.
    --Chris
    Sir DB, that's an almost perfect description of what this beauty does to your nose as you wear it! Except for me, its a 3-part prism made of three woods.

As far as the sandalwood, you get a pure, frighteningly perfect olfactory picture of it. LV's Sandolo gives you this too, but as good as Sandolo is, its like being smacked in the face with a sandalwood 2-by-4. (Thats a plank for non-US members).

Tam Dao (damn, pow!!), by contrast is like putting your nose over a big kettle of grandma's sandalwood soup, slow cooked, prepared with love, but so potent, its a meal all by itself!

Yeah that's it..........
    Last edited by OlfaOmega; 27th June 2006 at 10:07 PM.
    There is no Nose....

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely LOVE the L'Artisan line. They have nothing I don't like...well, maybe Dzing, but thats it.

Anyway, Tam Dao is spectacular. Creamy sandalwood is the best description of it. Its in my top 10 easy.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the house of Diptyque. I don't want to, and sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on something good and I actively try them, but I just don't like them. This scent though is a major exception. I LOVE THIS SCENT. I absolutely adore it. Taking the medicinal edge off the sandalwood and making it smooth with a light sweet and almost peppery edge to it. Brilliant scent and one of the more wearable and better sandalwood scents on the market today. A lot of people are going to blast it for poor longevity. I don't know how true this is. This scent is a personal scent and a quiet scent. It isn't designed to project like Santal Noble. It's for you and whomever you want to let smell it. Fabulous scent. That being said, I want to try the new Diptyque pretty badly.....the notes sound intriguing.

Post Thanks / Like

OlfaO,
    I'm with you completly. This one is a completely changing and developing beauty. Usually I like some nasty quality as a part of a scent in order for me to think it is complete enough to be beautiful, but Tam Dao is a beauty without anything nasty in it. Beautiful in how it develops and how it puts parts of it in opposition in both time (drying changes it) and what I can't help but call space (somebody shoot me) for how 3D the smell feels in my nose.

Sandalo is a beauty also, and I think is the most hot weather wearable of my several sandalwoods, but it doesn't have the sculpture element that Tam Dao does. You're right to bring up planks and 2-by-4s regarding Sandalo, because that one smells dry to me, like wood planed and cut in dusty sunny lumberyard shacks. Sandalwood lumberyards. Imagine that!

(I see comments on this thread on the L'Artisan line, and those no doubt spring from Paintrman's mention of Passage d'Enfer, but, of course, Tam Dao is a Diptyque product, not one by L'Artisan.)

So glad you love this baby, Olfa. It is a super highlight on my scent adventure quest meter.
    --Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I adore this fragrance but as I mentioned in the other thread, it is one of those my SO can't stomach so I reluctantly traded away my bottle. I wish I hadn't done that though.... sigh.