Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Group project ? AKA Sniff'n'Speak Days

Hi all,
    I'd like to propose some possible group activites here on the women's side of BN

I was thinking (inspired by the Guerlain samples thread) that it might be fun to go through a house together (as much of it as possible)
    Each of us would wear the designated fragrance from that house on the same day and return the next day with reviews, opinions, reactions and discussions. if everyone doesn't have the scent others would send samples.......Not sure if summer time is the best time to do this
    Or we could start with summer fragrances......

Certainly the classics would be fun but the newere lines would be just as much fun. I'd love to also see each of us then post our reviews here in basenotes. The women's fragrances are way lagging behind in reviews.

if this is just not doable or no one thinks its a good idea I won't be hurt
    Just a passing thought.....and seems like fun to me
    Last edited by tigrushka; 27th January 2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added another name to the title for reference

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Group project ?

Interesting idea. Deciding what to profile would be a challenge, unless we employ a sort of random-number-generator selection method.

What if we cast a little broader net and chose a class, such as Chypre, and name 10 possible scents from that class members could sample, which would give each person a little freedom of choice. Of course, the more ambitious amongst us, or those who have access to more frags, could test all 10. But, more than likely, almost everyone could test at least one from each class.

What about a monthly theme? January=Orientals, February=Animalics, March=Chypres, April=Florals, etc. Then we could plan ahead.

Just stuff off the top of my head. Love your ambitious creativity!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Sounds good to me!

I am totally open to any organization......I'd just like to get something going.

Lightbulb Re: Group project ?

B Gal, what a wonderful idea! I would love to do something along these lines. I got 34 Montale samples off ebay to explore that house. So far I've tested three. I have 11 samples from Ava Luxe, so I've tested...none. The group project *I* need is a support group -- Kai-sniffers anonymous.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I was thinking it would be fun to have like a tuesday's scent club

we wear a scent one day during the week and Tuesdays (or any other day of choice) discuss it together kind of like a book club, but way better smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gals

we wear a scent one day during the week and Tuesdays (or any other day of choice) discuss it together kind of like a book club, but way better smelling
    That almost made soda *whispering...it's really wine* come out of my nose. I always imagined book club gatherings to smell like moth balls and Denerex for some reason. Not trying to offend book club members here!!

LOL.....Don't ya just love it when you laugh so hard your drink comes out of your nose......Now that's a good chuckle!!!!!!

I like the idea of a discussion night alla a book club. Maybe we could do it under Chat. I know chat can be chaos and hard for everyone to get a chance to speak. But maybe there could be some ground rules to facilitate a better discussion. I guess that would require a facilitator to herd "participants". (I rather mixed metaphors there with the terms facilitating & herding).

I would like to work my way through some "classics" with other members. For Example Tabu (Don't do it!); My Sin (I did it.) Scandal (Oh no! Everyone found out I did it!).

LOLLL I love the Sandra Bullock snort, personally.

I'll go along with it - very imaginative

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Accord
    For Example Tabu (Don't do it!); My Sin (I did it.) Scandal (Oh no! Everyone found out I did it!).
    LOL! It is classic, or will become soon!

Count me in, ladies.

How about Tuesday August 1st -- Yves Mathieu Saint Laurent's 70th Birthday?
    Last edited by Twolf; 28th June 2006 at 08:58 AM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Chat night could generate a very friendly circle, but if we want to encourage broader participation, what about naming four fragrances for members to choose to do reviews on based on monthly themes.
    1) One frag that's easy to find in stores (so most could access at least this one)
    2) One that's a considered a "classic" and has been around a while
    3) One of the most popular frags within the theme
    4) And a new release for the year

*Monthly themes? (apologies to seasonal opposites who live down under)
    January--Oriental
    February--Animalic (civet-, castoreum- or leather-influenced scents)
    March--Chypre
    April--Floral
    May--Fruity
    June--Citrus
    July--Green
    August--Fresh or aquatic
    September--Fougere or men's fragrances
    October--Ambery
    November--Spicy
    December--Gourmand

Yes, some classifications overlap, but these would be just general guidelines. I suggest Buffalo_Gals compose the first year's round of sniffs (48 total), and she could pass the assignment on to someone of her choosing the next year.

Please suggest improvements to this whole notion.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I was kind of hoping to keep it to the same scent so it could really be discussed in full.

I have an idea at least for the first month and maybe someone could do this the next month.

I have huge bottles of a few guerlains all edt ( Vega, Rue de la Paix, & Fleur de feu) We could all decide on one of these three and i will send a sample to all who want to participate that don't own the scent.

We could pick a date & time to dicuss....chat would be lovely
    I personally will wear the named scent to the discussion so i have my reference immediately at hand

if we like the results maybe someone else could do the same thing for the next month ~ offer a scent that they have alot of & wouldn't mind sending samples out. if we find it was a flop we move onto a different method
    If its a success then each member could take on a month and send out samples......to those who need them

Let me know what you guys think!!

I think it's a very nice idea, Buffalo Gal and I will certainly participate (if I'm on the mood for the scent in question...)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

B Girl I think that's a fantastic idea

I'm in!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I would love to have the opportunity to learn more about fragrance NOTES. For example I would like to try aldehydic, ambery or powdery fragrances that were considered excellent examples in each of those categories. I would like to try them in the company of people who are more skilled than I am at recognizing notes. BG do you think that angle could be worked into this project? If during a month the topic was, for example, amber, then it would probably be most effective to try about 4 fragrances in the note category that were definative examples of the note. I know working with more than one frag would make things more difficult so perhaps this would not be a good idea early on.

That is brilliant
    You have just married my idea and Quarry's idea LOOOOVE IT

We could pick a note maybe dcide on one or two perfumes that are classically & predominately that note.
    Then pick an offshoot & make a list of perfumes that have that note present but are not predominately that note and people can at their leisure smells those & find the note in it.

We could discuss the one or two scents that have the main note we picked

sorry i'm rambling......

Also we could do the one scent as i suggested before....no reason not to do both ideas.....

lets keep hammering these out and then lets do some sniffin!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

You have just married my idea and Quarry's idea
    Throw the rice!

Do not agree with discussing them in the Chat format, would rather do a post on the board, since all our impressions would be lost. This is just IMO, but whatever we all as a group decide, I am all for it.

So, will we be wearing defferent scents belonging to the same group with the occasional intervention of a particular scent that everybody will be wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf
    Do not agree with discussing them in the Chat format, would rather do a post on the board, since all our impressions would be lost. This is just IMO, but whatever we all as a group decide, I am all for it.
    I agree. Besides, people are from different time zones so if the discussion will take place in the chat room, it will be an US only discussion.

Doing it in the forum is fine with me.....and you're right in chat its not recorded......

We are still sort of hammering and forming the particulars.
    I had suggested we all wear one scent

Another suggestion was each wear a scent from a category or subheading of a category

another was decide on a common & particular note and find a few perfumes that are classicly known for that note and all wear one of them

I hadn't thought about the time zone issue. I see now that if it was 6 PM on the US west coast, 9 PM in New York, it would be 2 AM in London

Perhaps a sort of hybrid approach could be used. Those who wanted to huff together could meet on the forum at a agreed upon time. It could even happen more than once per fragrance.

(1) If it was done at 7 PM London time, (8 PM Vienna), it would be 11 AM on the US west coast and 2 PM in New York. That would allow some Americans to gather with some Europeans.

(2) If it was done again at 6 PM US west coast time, (9 PM EST) americans could meet with americans after work. I don't know if there are people from Asia who would be interested in participating with americans, but 9 PM EST is 10 AM in Tokyo.

(3) If it was done at 6 PM London time it would be 9 PM in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 10 AM Los Angeles, 1 PM New York. I would love to meet with people form the Middle East too.

I think it would be delightful to put a fragrance on at the same time as some other people and share our immediate impressions and ask each other questions about our immediate experience. But I see that factoring in time zones is a consideration and recording the dialogue a desireable thing. Also creating an opportunity for people to participate in the dialogue if they can't make a meeting time is appealing.
    Last edited by Strange Accord; 28th June 2006 at 09:37 PM.

Why not simply just start a thread like we have done with the Scent of the Decade Days? (the last one of which is on 16 July)

Then anyone can participate when they have time.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Why not simply just start a thread like we have done with the Scent of the Decade Days? (the last one of which is on 16 July)

I think the difference is that putting on the fragrance at the same time as other people is "funner".

I live in a state that has a very low population density. I live in a city of maybe 60,000 people. We are hundreds of miles/kilometers from another city as "big" as ours. I don't know anyone in my city that is passionate about fragrance. I like the idea of getting together for a scheduled "ladies party" to try fragrances TOGETHER.

Ladies who can't "get to the party" because of scheduling conflicts can read and post when they have time.

Going to parties WITH people is fun. To be WITH people you have to decide when to get together. I'm guessing most ladies will want to come to the party

If they can't make it (probably because of work or family DEMANDS) of course that is a truly unfortunate thing. (If a person merely PREFERS not to come to the get together, that's no reason not to have a gathering for those who want to make a fragrance party their priority.) I'd like to try to be as accomodating as possible to those ladies (& gents, if they are welcomed) who have compelling personal demands. But, I hope we don't give up on the "get together" part of this project because of members who "merely" don't want to show up for a social event.

I think the difference is that putting on the fragrance at the same time as other people is "funner".

I live in a state that has a very low population density. I live in a city of maybe 60,000 people. We are hundreds of miles/kilometers from another city as "big" as ours. I don't know anyone in my city that is passionate about fragrance. I like the idea of getting together for a scheduled "ladies party" to try fragrances TOGETHER.

Ladies who can't "get to the party" because of scheduling conflicts can read and post when they have time.

Going to parties WITH people is fun. To be WITH people you have to decide when to get together. I'm guessing most ladies will want to come to the party

If they can't make it (probably because of work or family DEMANDS) of course that is a truly unfortunate thing. (If a person merely PREFERS not to come to the get together, that's no reason not to have a gathering for those who want to make a fragrance party their priority.) I'd like to try to be as accomodating as possible to those ladies (& gents, if they are welcomed) who have compelling personal demands. But, I hope we don't give up on the "get together" part of this project because of members who "merely" don't want to show up for a social event.
    I get your point but putting the fragrance on at the same strike of the clock is impossible when people live all over the world.

But if you insist, it means the party will be an US only event. If that's what the majority prefers, fine.

[i]t means the party will be an US only event. If that's what the majority prefers, fine.
    DEAR tigrushka, I did post that 'If it was done at 7 PM London time, (8 PM Vienna), it would be 11 AM on the US west coast and 2 PM in New York. That would allow some Americans to gather with some Europeans."

(7 PM London time is 9 PM Helsinki time.)

I really DON'T want a US only event. Many people don't work a "traditional" daytime schedule. If it was done at a reasonable time for people outside the US, people in the US might be able to join in. I have a "home office" and could be on the board at 7 PM London time (9 PM Helsinki time) with no problem. Would that work for you?
    Last edited by Strange Accord; 29th June 2006 at 08:12 AM.

DEAR tigrushka, I did post that 'If it was done at 7 PM London time, (8 PM Vienna), it would be 11 AM on the US west coast and 2 PM in New York. That would allow some Americans to gather with some Europeans."

I really DON'T want a US only event. Many people don't work a "traditional" daytime schedule. If it was done at a reasonable time for people outside the US, people in the US might be able to join in. I have a "home office" and could be on the board at 7 PM London time with no problem. Would that work for you?
    This is not about me, is it? So drop the "DEAR", could you please?

There have been several Scent Synchronization Days on Basenotes during the years, and the regular thread system has worked just fine for them. People come and go as they please and join when they can and there haven't been any problems with that.

Though I understand that it might be a nice idea to have everyone joining in at the same time, I don't get this insistance that is has to done in the chat room and at a certain time because that excludes many members. Not everyone has the luxury of a free day schedule.

But as I said before: if that's what the majority wants, that's what the majority gets.

I personally think this would work out the best. If we have it in "chat", I guess other people who are not joining this theme, will interfere (sp?), and start chatting about other things, when they see there are lots of people at the chat room.
    Posting to the thread, I think will work as chatting, too.

OK......It is not important to WEAR the perfume at the exact same time.....
    What i was hoping to achieve was more than just a common day of wearing the same scent as done before. I was hoping as a group we could
    pick something specific to experience together & really discuss it.

What is important is we all wear the perfume within a day of the discussion day. Europeans will get to post first as they are ahead.......or if you're an early riser in the USA you can get some posts in there early too. Certainly the posting can way beyond "the day" as hopefully people will have new insight or retry the scent to see if they can see what someone else saw.

I just wanted to really explore & sink my chomps into a scent with other people.

Like I said when I started the post.......its an idea......it will either materialize or it won't

If its not a good one then it won't be done.......

Certainly my goal was not to argue.......

I really believe we can accomadate EVERYONE as best as humanly possible.

OK......I'm off to work

We sure can make the project work, and most of us do have daytime jobs and tight schedules. If need be, I can take a sample of the fragrance to work and then secretly apply it at the appointed time :-) and share the impressions when I am back to comfort and privacy of my own computer at home. We have 3 or 4 people from Australia and NZ who might want to participate too (it still surprises me how they are having the middle of the winter now! I have known the fact since high school and only on the Basenotes it really became a fact of life!) and for them it is a totally different concept of day and night.

I would say let's play it by the ear, get the first round going and work on the details as we go. It is all part of fun.

It's a great idea, Buffalo Gal, so "the more the merrier", eh?

Like Twolf said, let's just pick the date, the scent and get the ball rolling!

I don't get this insistance that is has to done in the chat room
    Speaking for myself, there may be a misunderstanding. At my post #22 I agreed with the concerns that people before me had expressed about doing a project like this in the chat room.

OK......Here's the deal

Twolf has come up with a great name for our perfume discussions
    ER (Ensemble Redolente) -- 'smelling good together'

1) we need a scent I suggest Guerlain Vega since its been reintroduced. But the Vega I have is vintage. I am willing to send samples to those who need them

2) We need to pick a date in August for the discussion.......when you try out the scent is up to you. I personally need to do it close to the discussion date as i do not have an educated nose & my memory sucks LOL.......I need enough time to gather addresses and ship out the samples
    which can take up to 2 weeks to reach Europe & Australia & NZ

Lets see if we can pick out notes......when they develop...etc.....
    Not so much about liking or disliking it.......for me anyway......

As always feel free to add....suggest....work out the kinks with me
    Remember......the first of anything is a learning process & we can tweak this as need be as we go along.

Thanks to all who want to do this.....I really hope it will be fun!!

Diane
    Last edited by Buffalo_Gals; 29th June 2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: more info

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Ensemble Redolente

C'est magnifique! To paraphrase a line from the TV show "Frazier": "We'll name our restaurant Les Frères Heureux--just difficult enough to say to keep out those who can't pronounce it."

Thank you, Twolf, for again bringing poetry to our world and to you, BG for giving birth to this idea and for being so magnanimous. Where's that kissie-face symbol when you need it???

Vega sounds like a plan to me, more so that is is vintage (Jacques Guerlain) while new EDT is available in a Paris boutique only! Please also do your homework, you can read more about Vega at Peppermint Patty's (Dec.02, 2005) and Bois de Jasmine's (Dec.05, 2005), both are about the new Jean Paul's version.

As a date I suggest we do it on Saturdays because some people attend church on Sundays, how about August 5th?

I also believe that we can do the project twice a month -- the first and the third Saturday, when the first Saturday it will be the same scent and the third Saturday it will be the same group (in August it will be aquatic/fresh, and not being much of a Fresh scent addict, it will be a good exercise for me to pick and sent out the samples).

As for the participants, so far we have:

Buffalo_Gals
    Tigrushka
    Quarry
    Strange_Accord
    Artisankey
    Tinker424
    Chicat
    FufuLaRue
    Goddess_Dreams
    Twolf

and about two weeks to make the list longer.
    Last edited by Twolf; 29th June 2006 at 04:40 PM.

Sounds good to me!
    (except that I don't have a single drop of Vega but I guess that can be arranged... )

Sounds good to me!
    (except that I don't have a single drop of Vega but I guess that can be arranged... )
    Tigs
    Message me your address and I'll send you a sample of Vinatge Vega

Ansd that goes for anyone else who wants to participate & doesn't have Vega....message me your address

Talking Re: Group project ?

Greetings,

Had some glitches with my username so I haven't been able to log on (Grant fixed me up though -so I'm set to go now!)

Just wanted to say I think this is a lovely idea as I love to read/hear others describe scents and love to do it myself when I have time. It would be especially valuable to do one scent at a time to hear everyone's impressions.

While the chatroom is certainly an interesting idea, logistically I don't think a system like that is sophisticated enough yet for our needs here. The more people we can include the better, I feel- so posting our thoughts to a thread during one, 24 hour period is probably the best way to go.

The short of it is: I'm in!

As I don't have Vega, I'll be PMing you B-Gal.

Great idea!

Sounds like it is shaping up nicely. The name is great. I think it would be fun to do this on a Saturday. That seems close enough to doing it at the same time to meet my craving to do this as a group activity.

SAT AUG 5th ~ BE THERE OR BE SQUARE

Please also do your homework, you can read more about Vega at Peppermint Patty's (Dec.02, 2005) and Bois de Jasmine's (Dec.05, 2005), both are about the new Jean Paul's version.
    Thanks for the leads. Here are links to the articles you mentioned.

Peppermint Patty
    http://www.pdawwg.com/blog/archives/000916.html

Bois de Jasmine
    http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...e_revie_2.html

Hi--I am pretty new 'round these parts (although I know Diane) but I want to say that I think this is a fabulous idea! I would participate, but I will be away on Aug. 5. Perhaps I can check in later. I don't know whether this matters (because this is a--mostly--different group of people, but there is also a sniffa event on that date in NY.
    Judith

summer means fireflys

This sounds REALLY fun! Hmmm Vega? don't have any, guess I need to bum a drop too.

Hi J.!!!!! If the sniffa poses a conflict for people we can surely change the date to Aug 12th.

Shadesofbleu message me your address and I'll send you a sample of Vega
    for the sniff club ER

Hi D!!! Don't change the date if it's just for me; I can always catch up when I return.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Meant to start new thread. Ignore this post.
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd August 2006 at 06:54 PM. Reason: meant to start new thread

I know, I know it is the last part of summer and everybody who did not take vacation are doing it right now before the start of the school year.

Do you believe we need to get the Group Project going again? On the Gentlemen's Board they are planning a SSD for September 1st. Are we in or are we going by other guidelines, i.e. as suggested by Quarry? Is anyone interested at all?

I'm in

If someone wants to organize it this time.......pick the scent....etc

I really enjoyed hearing everyone's impressions of vega & thanks to everyone who participated

Diane

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Is anyone interested at all?
    Count one interested person here. I don't care how we proceed.

Yes, I am interested. I´ll have to think a little about suggestions. (I like Quarrys ideas)

I'll unstick the Vega thread and add the link here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=185213

I'm in

If someone wants to organize it this time.......pick the scent....etc
    Ditto. I have organized several Scent Synchronization Days and the Scent of the Decade Days series, so I'll gladly leave further organizations to someone else, thank you very much.

To be frank this thread speaks volumes. Read it from the beginning. There are so many enthusiastic posts and when you check out the Vega thread (the link is in the above post) you can count how many people actually did take part in the Vega day and contributed to the thread...

It has been pretty much the same story with every other group project. But I'm still all for these projects/special days!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    January--Oriental
    February--Animalic (civet-, castoreum- or leather-influenced scents)
    March--Chypre
    April--Floral
    May--Fruity
    June--Citrus
    July--Green
    August--Fresh or aquatic
    September--Fougere or men's fragrances
    October--Ambery
    November--Spicy
    December--Gourmand
    To keep the ball rolling, I'll suggest the following in hopes my girlfriends here will tweak any shortcomings in my thinking.

Shall we look at fougere or some men's frags for September? The only fougere I'm very aware of is Guerlain's Jicky.

Yesterday I ordered 3 samples from perfumeworldwide.com (Angel for men [A*Men], Rochas for men, and Paco Rabanne Black XS). Maybe it would make good policy to nominate frags that can be ordered from such websites (in the U.S.: $2.99 ea., includes shipping), so they're accessible to those who can't spritz a sample at a store. I'm guessing some members may not have wanted to impose upon Buffalo_Gals' generosity in mailing out Vega samples, so that may have dimmed participation in our first group sniff??? At any rate, it's a joyous experience for those who do partake of the experience, and "lurkers" may be getting something from it, too.

If the first Saturday of the month isn't a problem, let's continue that pattern. Okay?

A note about ordering samples of Paco Rabanne Black XS: Nirav, who works for perfumeworldwide.com, instructed me to order any Paco Rabanne sample and then to add a message in the comments window during check-out that I wanted the "Black XS" because it's not shown in the pull-down menu.
    http://www.perfumeworldwide.com/try-before-buy.php

So, I nominate Jicky (any concentration) and any of the men's frags above. Feedback, dearies?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    If the first Saturday of the month isn't a problem, let's continue that pattern.

So, I nominate Jicky (any concentration) and any of the men's frags above. Feedback, dearies?
    Sounds good to me!

Sounds good to me!
    Me too.

Jicky is also one fragrance I´d have the resources to supply people with samples of, if needed. That´s if they don´t mind wearing the EdT......I have nothing to compare with, so I dig it.

Jicky sounds great!
    I have EDP Parfum & have worn the EDT.....There is a differnece between the different strengths especially the PDT/EDP which has more civet than the EDT & Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by vinterdroppe
    Me too.

Jicky is also one fragrance I´d have the resources to supply people with samples of, if needed. That´s if they don´t mind wearing the EdT......I have nothing to compare with, so I dig it.
    Me three, but I do need to get hold of that sample. Can we arrange something vinterdroppe?

Shifts, I sent you a pm.

So...is this a decision, or are ther other ideas / nominées? I guess we should set a date too, but lets see first if anyone has different opinions, or other suggestions.

(and if we decide on Jicky, please do not feel embarassed to pm me for a sample of the EdT. I love this scent, but I am also a little intimidated by it, so it doesn´t get as much usage as my others)

Hey, hey, wait a moment....
    Guys and Gals, it's going gon a scent synchronization on Jicky without me, isn't it?
    Let me tell that when it comes to wear Jicky, every excuse is good, specially a synch scent day! So count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by vinterdroppe
    I guess we should set a date too
    The first Saturday of the month is the chosen pattern which means 2 September will be the Jicky Day (it is there in Quarry's post... )