Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (2003)

Greetings All,

Has anyone tried "Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (2003)"? Does this have 'lasting power' (i.e. spary in the morning, but can still smell by 6pm)? I would love to hear your experiences with this fragrance. Thanks.

Regards,
    Ash.

Default Re: Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (2003)

This one does seem to last forever on me. I normally spray by 6pm and I can still smell it the next day. Great staying power for such an easy to wear fragrence. I love the smell and have gotten a number of compliments on it,... however,. every once in a while someone will tell me I smell like an old man.

You don't have to look far to hear about people's experience with this one. Type it in in the search function, you will get a million results. Rive Gauche, at least since I got here, has been easily one of the top 10 if not top 5 most talked about scents. I know you're new so it's not your fault, but I can't help but laugh at the idea of someone ASKING to hear about what people think about Rive Gauche. Maybe someone tomororrow will ask if anyone has opinions on Kouros. Boy does YSL know how to stir up some controversy!

Rive Gauche has great lasting power, just like all male YSL frags it seems
    Last edited by dance2trance; 28th June 2006 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I am new to this particular fragrance, thus my initial question. I do not pretend to be a perfume snob and/or a know-it-all. If I don't know about a particular thing/issue/concept, I take the honest approach and ask. That is one of the key features I like about this discussion board - the opportunity to ask, to contribute, and to share understandings about everything perfume. Thanks.

Regards,
    Ash.

ak2146...I see that you are an Aussie, The Perfume Connection currently have the 75ml bottle for $53.20 as opposed to $80 RRP...

EDIT: Perfume Empire has 120ml for $49...they only have stores in NSW, but if you're elsewhere u can order it online
    Last edited by dance2trance; 28th June 2006 at 10:58 AM.

It has amazing longevity on my skin as well.

Super Scent that Lasts a long time !!!

And welcome to BN.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Thanks for the links, much appreciated.

Regards,
    Ash.

Love the scent, but it has poor lasting power on me.

Can anyone tell me about the Intense and the Light versions of RG?

Love RG PH....barbershop fresh, and judging from around these parts I don't think anyone wears this...very nice...can't go wrong with RG PH.

Ash,
    This one has pretty good lasting power. Maybe about 6 hours on me. It starts off pretty fresh and reminiscent of Brut. I think it is the Star Anise. The drydown is much different though. Brut turns pretty floral on me. RG turns somewhat dirty (in a good way) though.

If you don't know, it comes in a can which is much lighter than a glass bottle, so don't think you got an empty container when you get it.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by incedal
    Love the scent, but it has poor lasting power on me.

Can anyone tell me about the Intense and the Light versions of RG?
    I have the intense as well as the original. Intense definitely lasts longer. It has 'beefed up' basenotes, especially the patchouli.

Hi!Just one quick question:Are you aware of the existance of a 1.6 oz / 50 ml bottle of the original (not Light ,or Intense) on offer?I found an attractively priced one,but I think that it comes only in 2.5 oz /75 ml and 4 oz /125 ml bottles.
    Thank's!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

The 2.5oz is for sale in the US on the internet (Amazon.com, Imagination Perfumery, Scentiments, etc.) for about $22-23, the 4.2oz about $30, so I am doubtful that you will find anything smaller/cheaper.

I have the 2.5oz I bought, and love it. I may end up getting a "back up bottle" at 4.2 oz.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Great stuff, lasts forever.

Sorry no lasting power on me not even the intense version. I don't really know were all you guys are getting this last all day effect? Is all heree under the YSL payola?
    Last edited by scentimus; 18th May 2008 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Sorry no lasting power on me not even the intense version. I don't really know were all you guys are getting this last all day effect? Is all heree under the YSL payola?
    Rive Gauche PH lasts an extremely long time. You stop noticing it fairly quickly though. I've had MANY times where I thought it had faded below being noticeable and still got compliments.

I just got some Rive Gauche PH Intense this past week and it's incredible. The difference is like this... With Rive Gauche PH, when you put it on, it scatters like buckshot on your skin-- you try to sniff the spot, but it's seemingly broken up into its different components. Sometimes you only get bits and pieces at a time. However (to bystanders), it's ALL THERE. With the Intense, it's not a shotgun blast, but rather focused like a bullet. It goes on and retains all of the RG signature-- and it lasts incredibly long as well.

Damn this is an OLD thread!

I love this scent...I got the regular and intense version. Both got a very good longtivity. It is sexy and manly. Reminds me something, when I was young. One of the best fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
    Super Scent that Lasts a long time !!!

And welcome to BN.

Dan
    Ditto for me.

Lasts long and smells great on me. Even light version.

Rive Gauche is not a shrieker. It goes on and sills a lot - but it is light and pleasant, nearly unnoticeable to the wearer after awhile, but you will get wonderful whifs throughout the day when you least expect it. And others *will* notice it, but in a pleasant way.

This is a wonderful wonderful fragrance - and perfect everyday. I may have found a signature (and I had not been looking! ) as I got my first bottle in the last week and have been reaching for it daily.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 19th May 2008 at 12:56 AM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Rive Gauche PH lasts an extremely long time. You stop noticing it fairly quickly though. I've had MANY times where I thought it had faded below being noticeable and still got compliments.

I just got some Rive Gauche PH Intense this past week and it's incredible. The difference is like this... With Rive Gauche PH, when you put it on, it scatters like buckshot on your skin-- you try to sniff the spot, but it's seemingly broken up into its different components. Sometimes you only get bits and pieces at a time. However (to bystanders), it's ALL THERE. With the Intense, it's not a shotgun blast, but rather focused like a bullet. It goes on and retains all of the RG signature-- and it lasts incredibly long as well.

Damn this is an OLD thread!
    Spot on! I just blind bought this last week and tried it for the first time yesterday and it was love a first sniff! After 4-5 hours I thought the smell had vanished completely, then I started getting huge wafts of the stuff to my delight. I could smell it on me a full 17 hours after initial application.

By the way, I've just noticed that I'm responding to a post dated 18th May 2008!

Quote Originally Posted by Giannino View Post
    Spot on! I just blind bought this last week and tried it for the first time yesterday and it was love a first sniff! After 4-5 hours I thought the smell had vanished completely, then I started getting huge wafts of the stuff to my delight. I could smell it on me a full 17 hours after initial application.

By the way, I've just noticed that I'm responding to a post dated 18th May 2008!
    Doesn't make your observation less valid!

Its been discontinued for the new reformulated "collection" series, along with M7 fresh and M7 ( maroon bottle)

6-8 hours of longevity the least on me.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Its been discontinued for the new reformulated "collection" series, along with M7 fresh and M7 ( maroon bottle)
    That's why I've stocked up on the tin cans. The new stuff costs about 4 times more and I'm assuming smells different.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Doesn't make your observation less valid!
    Cheers! Happy actually that I've inadvertently sparked off this thread from the abyss!

So is it official then? Has YSL discontinued RGPH in the tin can? I've only worn the fragrance once, but if it has indeed been discontinued, I'll have to stock-up!

How does RG compare with Chanel Pour Monsouir ?

Banned

It's quite strong with good longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    How does RG compare with Chanel Pour Monsouir ?
    nothing alike
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by Giannino View Post
    Cheers! Happy actually that I've inadvertently sparked off this thread from the abyss!

So is it official then? Has YSL discontinued RGPH in the tin can? I've only worn the fragrance once, but if it has indeed been discontinued, I'll have to stock-up!
    I know Boots don't stock the tins any longer. They now sell the new range stuff for £58 for 80ml, as opposed to about £22 for 125ml for the tins online. Not sure about the smell but I doubt they haven't meddled with it.

Hmm, this is odd. I'd have assumed that while the new Collection version might have been reformulated, the old tins, while they continue to be sold, would be unaffected. However, I've just seen this description of the 125ml EDT on Fragrance Direct:

"The classic fragrance has been reworked and is now a fragrance with character and a contemporary charm. It opens with soaring aldehyde notes that gradually move into a luxurious, floral heart. The sensual closing is dominated by woody notes mellowed with balms and musks."

I know that when they're compiling their stock listings, sites like this must copy and paste more text and images in a day than most of us do in a lifetime so I'm not usually too flustered by the odd misaligned product description. But that first sentence does seem a little ominous under the circumstances.

I noted that it was not in stock at Walmart anymore either... May be the end of my great Rive Gauche find.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Compared to Pour Monsouire which is better, and why the similarities if any. I have the Chanel and was debating in Rive Gauche but I get that barbershop feel from the Chanel but didn't know what the huge differences were since I have never smelled Rive.

Hey guys,

I saw a 125ml can of Rive Gauche PH, and I was kinda starstruck and almost impulse bought it.
    It was 40 US dollars for the 125ml. (Yeah. JUST too overpriced, I think)

I already got Brut Classic, and already got Azzaro PH. I use Brut now, when I wanna dress up, retro old school, (plus some old school hair pomade ) but Azzaro, not so much. Only when I'm dressed up formally, and it's not 80-90 degrees outside. (rare)

And since lots of people say RG reminds them so much of Brut Classic and Azzaro PH..

I wanna ask.. should get that tin can of RG?
    Will I be missing something special if I pass this chance?

Or are Brut and Azzaro good enough for the job?
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Quote Originally Posted by Bulakenyo View Post
    Hey guys,

I saw a 125ml can of Rive Gauche PH, and I was kinda starstruck and almost impulse bought it.
    It was 40 US dollars for the 125ml. (Yeah. JUST too overpriced, I think)

I already got Brut Classic, and already got Azzaro PH. I use Brut now, when I wanna dress up, retro old school, (plus some old school hair pomade ) but Azzaro, not so much. Only when I'm dressed up formally, and it's not 80-90 degrees outside. (rare)

And since lots of people say RG reminds them so much of Brut Classic and Azzaro PH..

I wanna ask.. should get that tin can of RG?
    Will I be missing something special if I pass this chance?

Or are Brut and Azzaro good enough for the job?
    I say go for it; I paid about $35 each for my two bottles so the pricing you saw really isn't out of line. I haven't smelled Brut in years so I can't comment on that one, but Azzaro and RG are alike in feel but not really in smell itself, with RG being lighter and "airier", for lack of a better word. Worst case scenario, you don't like RG and hang onto it for a few months and then resell it. With the aluminum can presumably discontinued, I imagine people will eventually start looking to buy that version in the marketplace here and on Ebay as online supplies dwindle.

I just swapped a decant of Original Vetiver for my bottle.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

never heard of it

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    I say go for it; I paid about $35 each for my two bottles so the pricing you saw really isn't out of line. I haven't smelled Brut in years so I can't comment on that one, but Azzaro and RG are alike in feel but not really in smell itself, with RG being lighter and "airier", for lack of a better word. Worst case scenario, you don't like RG and hang onto it for a few months and then resell it. With the aluminum can presumably discontinued, I imagine people will eventually start looking to buy that version in the marketplace here and on Ebay as online supplies dwindle.
    I finally did buy it today. Checking online prices, 40 US doesn't seem as bad now, I guess.
    Some online prices are ridiculously overpriced. Add the shipping costs to that too, and it aint worth the trouble.

This one should last me a long time. I don't wear these types everyday.
    I checked the codes under the can and the box, and the online perfume calculator says it was manufactured April 2004.

Does this mean it might turn bad one of these days? It's almost a decade old.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Quote Originally Posted by Bulakenyo View Post
    I checked the codes under the can and the box, and the online perfume calculator says it was manufactured April 2004.

Does this mean it might turn bad one of these days? It's almost a decade old.
    I wouldn't worry; most people on here have bottles that are at least that old and haven't had problems. I have several bottles that have been around for at least a decade, and it's never been an issue. Besides, the aluminum can will protect the scent quite well from any potential light damage, so it should keep for years to come.