Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Question What form of Musc Ravageur?

After reading many reviews and descriptions of Musc Ravageur by Frederick Malle, I've decided I really want this, albeit, it will be a blind buy. My question is, can someone tell me the differences between the oil and spray? What are the differences, between sillage, longevity, and most of all, scent? How is the oil applied, and in what quanities? I've never had the experience to use perfume oils before, so I have no idea.

Ideally, I'd get both, but it's pretty expensive as is. I just want whatever will give me the best bang for buck in sillage, combined with that infamous predatory, seductive smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What form of Musc Ravageur?

Unless you have tons of expendable income, don't buy it blind. Malle has excellent customer service and they will probably send you a 5ml sample if you ask nicely. No blind buy at $150 is a good idea. Oh, and sorry but I can't help you with this comparison as I've only tried the spray. However, it is AMAZING longevity and good sillage to boot. It just isn't worth $150 to me though when I think about all the other stuff I could get for that much. Maybe 5 different scents from Scentiments?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Unless you have tons of expendable income, don't buy it blind. Malle has excellent customer service and they will probably send you a 5ml sample if you ask nicely. No blind buy at $150 is a good idea.
    ditto... ask around, Im sure a Bnoter can hook you up with a sample. Its a formidable scent; it stings the nostrils.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Borky-

I have both the oil and the EDP. Since I bought two of the same scent, I got the smaller bottle of the EDP. I have the 50 ml.- 1.7 fl.oz-84,5% VOL. I use them for different purposes. I infuse the oil with a non-scented massage oil ,and it's great for that purpose. I use the EDP otherwise. I find that the EDP last longer and has more sillage on me. It's a very sensual and sophisticated fragrance. It's powerful yet controlled. This is an uncomromising Oriental . It's explosive departure of Bergamot, Tangerine, and cinnamon is set against the lusty backdrop of Vanilla, Musk and Amber. No flowers here.. just a refined and exalted skin scent. Need I say more?

Like the other posters have mentioned, you may contact Barney's New York or the Frederic Malle in Paris. I'm sure they'll be happy to send you a sample. I bought mine at he FM boutique in Paris and they have the Musc Ravaguer in one of their "Pods"..... needless to say, I was hooked after the first sniff!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Post Thanks / Like

FM didn't want to send me a sample. I guess it's up to Barneys or a fellow BN'er.

I never really liked MR until I tried the oil, and then I went back to the EDP and now I'm hooked, I'm actually trying to talk the owner of my local niche perfume shop to somehow get the line into her shop.

As for smell, don't see a major difference but the Oil comes on super strong with mega sillage and then disappears at the 6 hour mark, while the EDP stays closer to the skin, but lasts 12+ hours.

BTW: go to the official Frederic Malle Parfum site, I think it's something like editionsdeparfums.com but I'm not 100% sure. Do a quick google search and do their online questionnaire quiz thing...............It will just ask stuff like what perfumes do you like, etc.........and then you'll get an email back with a few suggestions and they'll ask for your address so they can ship out Samples, etc.... In the comment box right down, I'd really like to try Musc Ravager.

You won't miss it, at the very top on their official site, Questionnaire Personal Quiz Thing.

Okay I actually got my lazy butt to do something.

go to editionsdeparfum.com

and the home page you'll see "Choose your own Perfume", click on that to do the test.

Click on "Fill in our Questionnaire" on the right hand side of the page.

Fill out the sort questionnaire and include your email address and add a comment about wanting to try MR.

You'll get an email later asking for your address and they'll send a few 5ml sprays, Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Borky
    After reading many reviews and descriptions of Musc Ravageur by Frederick Malle, I've decided I really want this, albeit, it will be a blind buy. My question is, can someone tell me the differences between the oil and spray? What are the differences, between sillage, longevity, and most of all, scent? How is the oil applied, and in what quanities? I've never had the experience to use perfume oils before, so I have no idea.

Ideally, I'd get both, but it's pretty expensive as is. I just want whatever will give me the best bang for buck in sillage, combined with that infamous predatory, seductive smell.
    I have decants of both the oil and the spray. To my nose, the spray has a stronger scent, projects to a greater degree, and also has more sillage. The oil has a scent that is not as strong as the spray and also does not project as much as the spray. It seems to me that the oil is more of a skin scent to be used mostly for the wearer's own enjoyment. Frankly, I wouldn't want to choose between the two. I think it is worth it to have both. I also think that wearing both of them at the same time is a very nice option to have.

I suggest you first try both versions of Musc Ravageur in the form of decants. Then, if you do not like one or both versions, your monetary loss will not be as great.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the questionaire and all and told them I couldn't get to any of their retailers, however they still sent me to Barneys in NYC. My schedule doesnt allow my getting into the city, but does anyone know if Barney's sends samples through the mail?

Apparently those Frenchmen don't understand that getting into NYC from NJ isn't as easy as a 1-2-3, 10 minute trip.

My advice to Borky: don't buy it blind, get a sample first. I got a sample from Paris after reading reviews here and I was highly disappointed with Musc Ravageur. It was too sweet for my taste and it didn't give me that special feeling which I have with some fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

The url above is incorrect. Try this to get the correct site:

http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/

That last "s" makes a difference.