Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Are your "real life" girlfriends fragrance fans?

Are you isolated in your enthusiasm for scents, or can you celebrate your hobby with real 3D people outside of basenotes?

Do you shop with smiley-smellie girlfriends? Do you coordinate your scents-du-jour when you party or travel together?

Being self-employed and an only child, I'm relatively retarded in some of my gender's social rituals, but I'd like to hear stories about them.

(BTW, my shopping bags avatar is really a joke --which Chicat saw through instantly--I am so not that kind of gal.)
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Default Re: Are your "real life" girlfriends fragrance fans?

I always befriended boys, maybe because I have younger brothers (twins). My mom didn't really wear perfume. I was alone in my perfume love until Sweet Miss was born 3 years ago. She seems to be my Scent-Soulmate. I actually avoided perfume/scented products for the first year of her life, and she STILL ended up scent obsessed. Must be genetic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nope. One is a Mitsouko devotee, though, but generally they tend to wear one scent which is relatively new and change when the old one gets discontinued or is considered passé...

I have no idea where I have inherrited my passion for perfume from, no one in my family is into them.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

No. One knows I have addictive tendencies and rolls her eyes and looks concerned when I start "talking fragrance." She has Joy (Jean Patou) and looks at me like I am wierd when I say that is fabulous, you want to talk about it? My husband always mentions he notices my frags but is terrified about how much I own. My "best friend" gets a blank look on her face and responds, like, hey, lets just get back to talking about something real.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Are your "real life" girlfriends fragrance fans?

No, nobody I even KNOW here where I live, are the least interested in frags. Somehow I have the feeling that spending money on perfume is looked upon as a bit immoral (you should rather give your money to the church, or at least wear the latest in fashion instead - THAT is totally accepted...), so I don`t even bring up the subject anymore, when I see my girlfriends.

No, not at all! Most of them think I am crazy and I almost thought so myself until I found the internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not even one! My mother considers wearing perfume slightly immoral, I think, and so none of us grew up with any around. But I've always been very interested in it. None of my friends is more interested in perfume than say a Victoria's Secret body spray, sigh.... Fortunately, my husband listens to me go on about the history of perfume, the econimics of different ingredients. He's a gem. And he wears EDT occasionally, too.

Well at least I have someone to blame LOL... both my maternal grandmother and grandfather had more then a shelf full of fragrances which as I child I LOVED smelling... it wasn't just the beautiful smelling fragrances (although that was what I grew to LOVE)... it was the whole ritual of pulling out the most beautiful bottles out of a glass show-case display where they were stored... by grandmother wore a lot of Shalimar I remember... she also wore Alexandra when I was a child and Anaïs Anaïs when I was a little bit older... I always think of her when I smell it on anyone or Beautiful by Estée Lauder but that came almost into my teens My grandfather loved collecting even more then wearing I think... He used to wear a lot of Monsieur Rochas however, when I was a kid... I can't even remember him not ever wearing it... but I know he had a lot of other fragrances, and I think he wore them... Now my mother was really never all that interested in fragrances but my father is another story... There is never any confusion about what any one of us should ever get him as a present... He LOVES fragrances... only the one's my mother usually buys him are terrible, like most hated by me Boss #1. My sister is almost as crazy about fragrances as I am... and my husband now is on the same level as I... Luckily both my sister and my husband enjoy my 'perfume talk' they ask questions And lately at work I've found a fellow perfume-lover as well... so I think I'm set... Still, I would not be happy without you guys at Basenotes
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Talking Re: Are your "real life" girlfriends fragrance fans?

In my case it's family tradition, too. Mother and Grandmother...and one Auntie, were enthusiasts.

As for the girlfriends, nope. They can be broken into three categories, a) those with a signature fragrance they have worn for years if not decades, b) those who wear whatever the DH gave them last, and c) those who use whatever is trendy and frequently toss it at the end of it's season and these usually favor the BBW type scents.

I think they find my obsession to be annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my girlfriends is totally into fragrance like me- but we met on a perfume board initially- it was just destined I guess! (You can imagine how grateful I am for her. PH- you know who you are!)

Another is devoted to Vallee des Roi, but is scholarly enough to enjoy my perfume ramblings "just for the sake of" and will try some things from my stash on occassion. She likes Arabie and Aqaba as well.

One friend I was bringing along very nicely, but then, due to her own aromatherapy blend (she also makes soap) she developed an intense rash and has been off of perfumes since. Her favorite was Shalimar, but I got her onto Winter Delice as well.

A dear friend I've had seemingly forever- her family is in the "beauty business," but she, herself, never really got into fragrance. She does like woody/spicy scents, so I got her Black Cashmere as a birthday gift- which has sort of turned into her signature. From my stash she likes Bois des Ilse, Feminite du Bois, L'Air du Desert Marocain and surprisingly NK Incense.

Another friend that I've known even longer would always wear those vanilla-type fragrances from Spiritual Sky. Recently I turned her onto SL Bois de Vanille and she hasn't forgiven me yet. She gets a lot of my cast-offs, but I don't think she always is happy to get them.

Before I moved, when I'd get my hair cut, I'd always bring along unwanted samples to the salon- they had a great time trying out everything and sharing things with other customers. Gotta spread "the love" you know!

However, my oldest and best friend ever just does not do the fragrance thing. Not even incense. AND her husband is allergic- not only to perfumes but flowers, cats and dogs as well. She is someone I will never convert I guess. However, she says she enjoys reading my perfume writing in my emails to her.

A lot of people don't understand for certain, I'm sure, but it seems mostly the ones closest to me either "get it" somehow, or at least put up with it because they care about me. I'm pretty lucky I guess- or it could be that my personality is so strong that if people want to be my friend they don't have much choice. Yeah, that's probably what it really is...
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Post Thanks / Like

I have four sisters and only one of them is remotely interested in
    perfume. She wears Light Blue and Cristalle most of the time.
    Another one is very into "saving the planet/vegetarianism" and would only
    wear a scent that was totally natural - no chemicals etc. The third one
    has only ever worn Je Reviens and the fourth sister is too busy to think about herself- new baby at forty and a high-powered job in a hospital!!
    None of my girlfriends are as scent-obsessed as me and think I am a bit
    wierd if I try to talk to them about different fragrances. So thank you Basenotes for allowing me to indulge here with you all.

Post Thanks / Like

No girlfriends here to participate in my hobby either. Mr.Timberwolf, his mother and his sister are getting more and more involved, though.

I have one who is a fragrance junkie, although she's more of a bath & body and candle user than a perfume user, per se. Still, we do go out perfume hunting at times. It's a bit frustrating, because she and I seem to have polar opposite tastes in fragrance. So far, she has successfully gifted me with perfumes by buying scents that were "old", "musty" and "smelled like dirt" for me, and I have successfully gifted her with perfumes by picking things that were "boring white flowers", and "utterly artificial".

It's a good thing we don't take it too seriously, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I do my best to get girls involved. I have one friend she is quite interested in perfume, but she only wears one scent till it's empty, so it's not much to share. Most of the time I start telling people about my perfume hobby they get slightly annoyed. I find it really funny...Not if I tell them I collect shoes! That's fine with them! But perfume...such a waste! They do get warmed up when they get a perfume gift from me which is what they were looking for for ages and couldn't find!
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

not really. i have two sisters and they are interested in perfume a little bit, but not as much as i am. every time they come to my flat and have a look at my perfume collection, they are shaking their head.
    so, i stand more or less allone with my passion.

No, not at all, and I don´t know, I think I prefer it this way. Everything has its time and place No, seriously I am very bad at doing all sorts of "shopping" together with others (ie real shopping, window shopping, nostril shopping, etc), I am far too irrational and unefficient, and prefer strolling around by myself, in my own pace and in my own world while doing these things. And the scented discussions I have here with you satisfy my needs perfectly. The only devoted perfumista I´ve known was a man, and he didn´t take it this far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audrey
    Most of the time I start telling people about my perfume hobby they get slightly annoyed. I find it really funny...Not if I tell them I collect shoes! That's fine with them! But perfume...such a waste!
    Yes isn't that so true!

No, not really. My sister is a frag hag though. She buys more than me, but I'm still the expert in the family.

Post Thanks / Like

I have three sisters, one wears nothing, one likes soft florals like me--but nothing else, ever. My other sister's favorite is Tinkerbell from Disney. She told me so. The idea of having perfume as a hobby is respected, though not understood, per se. But my family all have obsessive collecting hobbies--carnival glass, vintage jewelry, antique marbles for example. My parents got interested in hybrid daylilies. Now they have 1700 different varieties, do their own hybrids, and sell to the public. This occurred over five years from the clear blue sky.

When my brother was small, he collected soap. He wanted different shapes, flower/animal/shell, and different colors. He would pocket guest soaps from my mom's friends and neighbors like mad. Eventually, Mom checked his pockets before leaving anywhere. He took to hiding a coveted soap in his socks, then the toe of his shoe, then held in his armpit, then....eh heh, he was very young.

My best friend wears Paris and the Spring releases as signatures. She is dumbfounded by basenotes. She says she can't imagine what there is to possibly talk about.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicat
    When my brother was small, he collected soap... He would pocket guest soaps from my mom's friends and neighbors like mad. Eventually, Mom checked his pockets before leaving anywhere. He took to hiding a coveted soap in his socks, then the toe of his shoe, then held in his armpit, then....eh heh, he was very young...
    This gave me a good chuckle and yet I can't help feeling for him and his "odd" hobby. I suppose if you're that young how else could you get a good soap collection going?
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Nope. not a one of my friends is a perfume girl.

One has several diffferent (christmas/birthday gifts) ones including one called Alchemy (sp?) that came from France and she only wears it on special occassions. She saw my meger collection (compared to some of you people!) and demanded to know what bank I robbed.

Another, she never wore perfume until her sister bought her a VS body spray about 5 years ago, and I think that bottle still isn't even finished. She never was the ultra-girly type no matter how hard she tried.

a third, she wears maybe one or two perfumes and can't even remember their names most of the time.

a fourth, she's got one signature scent (i can't remember what it is at the moment) and she sees no need for anything else.

all of them though... they dread going into department stores with me, as i'll spray anything for a wiff. :-D My ex-male-thing hated it the most... he wore adias and claimed it smelled just as nice as anything that cost mroe than 5 bucks a bottle. We're deffinately not scent soulmates.

but... at least there's Mom! She's a perfume freak just like me, well... actually she couldn't care less about the notes, history, or whatnot of a perfume, she just wants the stuff that smells good... ah, the memories of a dresser full of purdy bottles....

patricia

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Now they have 1700 different varieties, do their own hybrids, and sell to the public. This occurred over five years from the clear blue sky.
    When my brother was small, he collected soap.
    I used to share office space with avid enthusiasts of a number of interests. I had no collections, so I jokingly said, "Okay, I'm going to collect these here plastic coffee cup lids (the ones that sit on take-out beverages)." So I, again jokingly, began displaying every lid that came my way that was different from the others I had. Some had braille imprints, some had tear-away sip openings, some had fold-back-lock-in-place sip openings, and, darn it, if the goofy collection didn't start to become really interesting and diverse. I finally tossed all of them (a couple dozen?) in one of my business relocation moves, but to this day, I can appreciate a well-engineered coffee lid.

Makes fragrance collecting seem down-right respectable by comparison!

Post Thanks / Like

Coffee lids?!? LOL

I know a man who collects those little marks sitting on fresh fruit, where it says for example Granny Smith or Chiquita...he is always on the look for new, so each time I go to the grocery shop I`ll have to check out all fruits to see if I can find some for him. I think that`s kind of a cute hobby for a grown up man.
    Sorry for being opp topic, but you were, too!

Not generally, but they love to be able to take advantage of my obsession by scoring bottles I no longer use or love. In fact, at my wedding 2 years ago, my maid of honor's speech included a reference regarding "shopping" in my large stash of scented goodies and the room broke out into applause when she said that, because all of the women there, had been able to take advantage of "shopping in my closet of scented stuff" at some point or other.

When my brother was small, he collected soap. He wanted different shapes, flower/animal/shell, and different colors. He would pocket guest soaps from my mom's friends and neighbors like mad. Eventually, Mom checked his pockets before leaving anywhere. He took to hiding a coveted soap in his socks, then the toe of his shoe, then held in his armpit, then....eh heh, he was very young.
    Well, I can definitely sympathize with your brother. I have literally hundreds upon hundreds of soaps of my own, the capacity to make anything I want, and I still can't pass up a handmade soap booth at a craft show. I have huge ginger jars full of soap bars in my bathroom and an overflowing fruitbowl full of soaps next to the bathroom sink. Still I can't stop. Must.have.them.ALL.

I imagine his soaps might have lost a little bit of their prettiness in the process, though. Poor kid.
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dinahad
    Not generally, but they love to be able to take advantage of my obsession by scoring bottles I no longer use or love. In fact, at my wedding 2 years ago, my maid of honor's speech included a reference regarding "shopping" in my large stash of scented goodies and the room broke out into applause when she said that, because all of the women there, had been able to take advantage of "shopping in my closet of scented stuff" at some point or other.
    Dinahad, I see you're a new member, but by your comments, you're obviously already one of us. Welcome to the tribe!

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    No, not really. My sister is a frag hag though. She buys more than me, but I'm still the expert in the family.
    Isn't this just because you are so picky?

But no, I have none either really. But I must say I'm surpised to see that women are treated as outcasts when it comes to fragrances, I really thought it would be perfectly acceptable. I guess you can only imagine what a guy will have to go trough when sharing that interest, oh my... I think I here a comment every single day at work. My family has given in though. Even my father requested me to buy him a fragrance on his birthday (and this comes from someone who absolutely not liked my hobby), Bvlgari PH. Today my younger brother is getting Carolina Herrera Chic for Men on his birthday.