Code of Conduct

Default battle of the osmanthus

I love The Different Company's Osmanthus, but having studied reviews am tempted to splash out and buy the Hermessence Osmanthus Yunnan blind. Do any basenoters out there have any opinions about either of the frags? Or Ormonde Jayne's Osmanthus for that matter? I know several people consider it not up to scratch in comparison to her other frags, but I find the OJs v. dense in anycase and want something lighter. Please, please please give me your opinions!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: battle of the osmanthus

Quote Originally Posted by annickaddict
    ... am tempted to splash out and buy ...
    I have nothing valuable to contribute about the osmanthus, but must highlight the birth of a spectacular new phrase.

To Splash Out--1) to go shopping for fragrance; 2) to travel in an effort to spray oneself with fragrances; most often implies visiting a bricks-and-mortar store. Ex.: If I can't get someone to mail a sample of Ange ou Démon to me, I will have to splash out to a Sephora later this year.

This joins the phrase "milking the snake," which means to fill a sample vial by pumping multiple sprays from a bottle.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

It must be a UK expression! It actually means fork out - unless that's a UK thing too. As in throw caution to the wind and stump up the cash! Think your meaning works better, tho.

My favorite fragrance containing osmanthus (not as a single floral, mind you) is the extraordinary 1000 by Jean Patou.

Annick, have you ever tried Keiko Mecheri's Fleurs D'Osmanthus? It is a lemming of mine, described as a greener, lighter, less powdery take on Serge Lutens Datura Noir. That was no help with your question, I'm sorry!

Osmanthe yunnan is really more of a tea scent than the scent of the osmanthus flower.......if you're looking for that divine little white flower with the heady apricot scent Osmanthe yunnan will not provide.

i love the osmanthus flower right on the tree & i have unfortunately not found a perfume that has truly captured this potent little flower.

You can't go wrong with TDC, Keiko mecheri or Ormande jayne's rendition of osmanthus~ three wonderful & all different versions of osmanthus

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gals
    Osmanthe yunnan is really more of a tea scent than the scent of the osmanthus flower.......if you're looking for that divine little white flower with the heady apricot scent Osmanthe yunnan will not provide.

i love the osmanthus flower right on the tree & i have unfortunately not found a perfume that has truly captured this potent little flower.

You can't go wrong with TDC, Keiko mecheri or Ormande jayne's rendition of osmanthus~ three wonderful & all different versions of osmanthus
    I too found Osmanthe Yunan to be quite dissappointing. It's not really an osmanthus scent, the osmanthus is quite hidden and burried in citrus and tea notes.
    I also find Ormonde Jayne's Osmanthus to be way to citrusy, and not enough floral-osmanthusy at all.
    Keiko Mecheri is nice (my favourite of all Keiko Mecheri's scents, in fact), but it is more of a beach and peach floral perfume to my nose...

Never tried the Different Company's Osmanthus (and am very curious about that one!!!), so I can't comment here.

The bottom line, though, as crazy as it may sound - and this is my favourite osmanthus scent - is none other than Rochas' Femme in pure parfum. It most likely does not smell like the fresh flower (unfortunately, I am not familiar with the osmanthus first hand), but it smells like the gorgeous, leathery and apricoty osmanthus absolute. I just adore Femme in pure parfum, and wish it wasn't so hard to find!
    And also I like my own Charisma perfume, which has osmanthus note, along with jasmine, kewda, green tea, musk and oudh. Here is the link to the full description:
    http://quinta-essentia.ca/perfumes.c...&product_id=14

Many thanks for your help! Unfortunately, Rochas Femme is a real no-no for me. Not only was it my grandmother's favourite perfume, I once read somewhere that Margaret Thatcher wore it too. Over the weekend, I phoned Hermes in London on the off chance of receiving a sample, and the next morning I received large samples of all the Hermessences - so full marks to Hermes. The Osmanthe Yunnan is fantastically beautiful in my opinion - but as was pointed out, is more of a tea scent. So, it will probably be TDCs, which I tried in a shop and remember being unable to stop sniffing all the way home. It's also considerably cheaper than Hermes ( and I've got a cracking sample to tide me over anyway.)

The great thing about all the TDC imo is that, love or loathe them, they all smell exactly how they're supposed to. Divine Bergamote is exactly that, as is Jasmine de Nuit. If only I could afford them all!

The best Osmanthus scent that I have experienced is The OJ.
    Hermes and The Different Co. do not even com close to competing with this scent IMO.

Doesn't parfums Nicolai have an Osmanthus tea scent? I think I tested this when I was in Paris in May, but I haven't heard anything about it here. Was I jetlagged or what? Does it in fact exist? Anyone know?

Have only tried two- Keiko Mecheri and Ormonde Jayne. I prefer the Ormonde Jayne by leaps and bounds.

Thumbs up Re: battle of the osmanthus

IMO, there is no great osmanthus perfume out there. If only someone would create a great soliflore. Hmm... maybe I will ! What do I recommend for someone who is a perfumista hounded by the fact that no perfume lets the true osmanthus shine through? Buy a tiny bit of the real absolute -- there are several suppliers who sell it by the ml -- dilute it with some oil or alcohol, and layer it, or wear it by itself. Since you're not going to produce something for market, and hopefully you won't mind if the solution is cloudy, you can use high proof vodka for the dilution. Osmanthus is enchanting, and should be experienced by itself to truly appreciate the scent.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

I heard that Patou's 1000 (Mille) is the best osmanthus scent from one of my clients who's opinion I highly regard. But I haven't tried it just yet.
    I agree with Natural Juice - the best so far is the absolute. And hopefully soon there will be a natural perfume that truly celebrates the full glory of osmanthus. I am working on one at the moment, dark and rich. It's scheduled to be launched in the fall. Name TBA.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Blog Entries

I'm bumping this one becuase I love this flower (and for some reason it does not give me a headache.) I will have to try seek out the Different Company's osmanthus. Then yesterday I saw the post in the men's section about an Oud/osmanthus frangrance...http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...dor.html...any other osmanthus picks?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Basenotes Plus

4 you should check out are:

Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus
    The Different Company Osmanthus
    Parfum d'Empire Osmanthus Interdite
    Montale Powder Flowers

Blog Entries

I'm also curious about these Ayala Moriel scents:

http://www.ayalamoriel.com/?PageName...gredientID=150

Any info aprreciated. TAI>>>

Basenotes Plus

I love osmanthus and have the absolute from Nature's Gift. The absolute, by itself, is unpleasantly overwhelming. (No big surprise there, hey, it's an absolute!) Diluted it's pure magic!

My favorite osmanthus fragrances are #1 OJ's Osmanthus (never received so many compliments as with this fragrance), then number 2 Montale Powder flowers (this has a whole lot more than osmanthus going on) and finally, #3 TDC Osmanthus.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I love osmanthus and have the absolute from Nature's Gift. The absolute, by itself, is unpleasantly overwhelming. (No big surprise there, hey, it's an absolute!) Diluted it's pure magic!

My favorite osmanthus fragrances are #1 OJ's Osmanthus (never received so many compliments as with this fragrance), then number 2 Montale Powder flowers (this has a whole lot more than osmanthus going on) and finally, #3 TDC Osmanthus.
    I just sprung for a set of travel vials of OJ Osmanthus...maybe premature BUT most of the reviews I read said a very SAFE scent.

oh and they included 10ml of Ormonde Woman with the order

I love Osmanthe Yunnan but the projection/longevity is atrocious-even on clothing! Still love it though.

Also check out 1000 by Jean Patou which is kind of like Osmanthe Yunnan on full-blown steroids!

I do Love The Different Companies Osmanthus.....This is hard to beat IMO!!!
    Gary

My favorite osmanthus perfume is Parfums d'Empire Osmanthus Interdite followed closely by Osmanthe Yunan. I agree that the longevity of the Hermes is pretty bad. I went through a 15ml bottle in no time, but it is beautiful. I still preffer Osmanthus Interdite
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I do Love The Different Companies Osmanthus.....This is hard to beat IMO!!!
    Gary
    Thank you RHM for the suggestion of the Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus!!!!
    I just tried it and it's wonderful! So summery!!!!
    Now, my next question...should I blind buy The Different Companies Osmanthus as well, or as it similar?
    Thanks in advance>

I don't think OJ Osmanthus and TDC Osmanthus are similar. OJ's version is more "perfume-y" and more complex. If you like it, go for it!

TDC Osmanthus is soapier and more linear. It starts with a fairly alcoholic smell, at least the bottle that I have. It develops as a gentle, white flower. The problem with it is that it disappears very, very quickly on me. I wonder if I got a problem bottle.

Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus is somewhat drier, even a bit powdery. It's a scent that's easy to wear, but once I finished my sample, I am not tempted to get more of it.

Basenotes Plus

Just this week I put Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus on one wrist and Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus on the other. I definitely preferred the Keiko Mecheri. It lasted longer and stayed the same all the way through. The Ormonde Jayne goes on stronger and slightly citrusy, but in the end it wasn't as nice to me. Get samples of all the ones mentioned in this thread and wear them side by side, it really helps nail down how you feel about them and how they compare.

I've only ever tried Ormonde Jayne's Osmanthus and Parfums d'Empire's Osmanthus Interdite, and I prefer OJ's version.

Has anyone tried Serge Lutens's Nuit de Cellophane? It's supposed to have an osmanthus note, and it's a Lutens so I'm quite curious..

My absolute favorite is Parfums 137 Osmanthus. It's juicy and sweet.

http://www.parfums137.com/jeux-parfums.htm

I have both the sets pictured in the page linked above and highly recommend them.

Osmanthus is one of my least favourite notes so far. The Different Company's was terrible IMO of course. Nuit De Cellophane was even worse. The only osmanthus I have found thoroughly enjoyable is in the horrendously expensive Parfum Prive by Aftelier. It's an osmanthus/orange blossom/ambergris scent. I wrote a little review on it here

Blog Entries

l would like to recommend 1000 Kisses Deep by Lush/Gorilla Perfumes; a gloriously rich osmanthus scent, & IMO much more sophisticated than most of their offerings. l finished a bottle of this last year, & am considering another...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l would like to recommend 1000 Kisses Deep by Lush/Gorilla Perfumes; a gloriously rich osmanthus scent, & IMO much more sophisticated than most of their offerings. l finished a bottle of this last year, & am considering another...
    Ooooh thanks for that I'll be sure to check it out

If we want to go into fabled territory, Nombre Noir was also heavy on osmanthus. But, more accessibly, also Sarrasins contains plenty of it. Both frags use osmanthus to smooth out powerful florals (damascones for NN and jasmine for Sarrasins).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by whimsicaldiva View Post
    Has anyone tried Serge Lutens's Nuit de Cellophane? It's supposed to have an osmanthus note, and it's a Lutens so I'm quite curious..
    I'm not familiar with all the osmanthus scents mentioned and thus not in a position to compare, but for a lighter osmanthus scent I would recommend Nuit de Cellophane. It is considerably airier than the density for which Lutens is primarily known. It's a floral very different from most and to my nose it has as well some interesting apricot-like and light leathery notes.

Basenotes Institution

I must admit that it's being extremely difficult for me to find a fragrance that replicates that fantastic smell of osmanthus flowers in full bloom, in nature. It's such a unique smell.

The two that have come the closest, for me, are also polar opposites: 1000 by Jean Patou (vintage parfum) and Hermessance Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes. The Patou was one of those, Instant Love, scents - I really enjoyed it immediately and it left a deep impression on me, even til today. The Hermes took me years to warm to, and now I find it addictive. I find it best, right after a gym workout, when my skin is a bit hot and the extra body heat sort of amps up the scent.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle