Code of Conduct

Default A Kouros Mystery

Okay, I'm sure a lot of you are sick of Kouros threads--but you just had to look didn't you ;-).

My question is about the popularity of Kouros. The Basenotes directory states that Kouros is YSL's best seller for men and "features in the best seller lists most years." I've noticed that stores which carry YSL men's fragrances ALWAYS carry Kouros, even if it is the only one they carry (even Target carries Kouros).

I've become a big Kouros convert (and my girlfriend always says I smell great when I wear it), but I can't help wondering, "Who's buying all the Kouros?" Is it really that popular? I'm curious because it definitely took me a long time to appreciate Kouros, so it's not the kind of fragrance I would expect people to fall in love with at first sniff. Here on Basenotes Kouros is certainly very polarizing, again not what you'd expect of a crowd-pleasing fragrance. I've never seen Kouros advertised and SA's don't push it on people (in fact I've only ever heard extremely negative comments about Kouros from SA's).

I can understand why the popular Armanis, Calvin Kleins and Ralph Laurens are popular--they're pleasant and heavily marketed. Does anyone know how the sales of Kouros actually compare? Anecdotally, does anyone out there notice a lot of other people wearing Kouros?

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Talking Re: A Kouros Mystery

Interesting post...
    Personally, I have NEVER smelled Kouros on anyone else....
    Incidentally, I wore "Kouros Fraiche" the other day to bed after a shower and....the wife literally attacked me saying how great I smelled...only one other scent (Lolita Lempicka) has solicited that kind of WILD reaction!
    I'll have to try Regular Kouros another time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Kouros Mystery

Great post Steve.

I too have wondered where are all the Kouros consumers. I haven't smelled it regularly since a friend in high school wore it in the early 1980s. I smell a lot of Le Male, Body Kouros, L'Eau d'Issey, Gucci Pour Homme, and something close to Egoiste, but I have never picked up on anyone wearing Kouros in my major metropolitan area.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Kouros is still the best seller in Europe.

KO

I don't have any market data, but I imagine that the average Kouros customer is similar to the average Aramis Man. These men (or women, we don't judge) will buy the juice consistently and almost exclusively, no matter the packaging, the marketing, the gifts, et cetera. It has true customer loyalty like few other brands in the fragrance world can enjoy (Chanel No 5 is probably a simliar comparison). Kouros will continue to be a powerful brand, even if not in the top five or ten, as long as it elicts a powerful and loyal reaction from it's users.

Other brands have loyalty because of the house name on the box (think the Ralph Laurens, Aramni's, and Calvin Kleins of the world) where as Kouros has loyality from the juice in the bottle.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

In Finland, Kouros can be seen in Top 10 lists of the different stores, but it mainly sells as an after-shave here. So, it is very much in favour of the older gents here.
    I have smelled Kouros on other people, and yes, they all have been...let`s say mature men.
    And overall, in here Kouros is even in bad reputation of being "old man`s" scent, along with other classic best sellers: Fahrenheit, Lagerfeld Classic, Tabac Original and Boss No.1.

Wink Re: A Kouros Mystery

I think Kouros is a mediterranean fragrance (in Greek Kouros does mean not only "boy" but this word defines the archetype of male beauty in classic art: type in Google images "kouros" and see) In Southern Europe this fragrance is very popular amongst men of every age, and you know that usually men from Southern Europe don't use heavy scents, because they are considered as things for women who want to be noticed by men.
    Like every perfume, not everyone likes it, but the most, in the right occasion, do wear it, because it's so sexy and women like it.

For people from Northern Europe or US it can be too much, and they may dislike or even loathe it because of its sexual references, or, they need more time and tests to appreciate it and its animal/dirty notes, which are virtually the opposite of the clean freshness of a snowy country like Finnland. So I think this is the reason why Kouros may not be a best seller in Scandinavia or Minnesota. But once you begin to get it you won't be able to stay without.

Post Thanks / Like

You couldn't have said it better, Waldemar!

It must be popular because I smell it in every gas station restroom I enter.

I really wish I didn't smell urine when I use it, I've tested it 3 times in 3 different stores, and each time, I smelled urine. I admit the dry down is nice, but getting there is hell.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe in Brazil , people's urine are different from the rest of the world, because I own Kouros and the harder I try I still can't smell any urine in it.
    It's just a dirty spicy smell also present in M7 top notes, for example...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm wrong, but almost all the people that claims Kouros has an urine note are from the USA...

In the UK id say Kouros was probably the most popular designer fragrance in the 90's and is now still in the top 5 over here with...Joop, Issey, Tommy, Le Male.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Maybe I'm wrong, but almost all the people that claims Kouros has an urine note are from the USA...
    Yes in the USA our urine smells like Kouros and our feces smell like Jicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    Yes in the USA our urine smells like Kouros and our feces smell like Jicky.

Classic.............

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about all that but I'm damn glad they still make it.

I'm not offended by the smell of a little pee-pee. I LOVE the smell of sex.

"Kouros is for a man who is in touch with his body...A virile and energetic scent, it reflects a liberated, frank and provocative personality."

I find this to be very accurate. I'd bet big money that most of the people who genuinely like and wear Kouros are strongly in touch with their sexuality compared to those who aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    I don't know about all that but I'm damn glad they still make it.

I'm not offended by the smell of a little pee-pee. I LOVE the smell of sex.

"Kouros is for a man who is in touch with his body...A virile and energetic scent, it reflects a liberated, frank and provocative personality."

I find this to be very accurate. I'd bet big money that most of the people who genuinely like and wear Kouros are strongly in touch with their sexuality compared to those who aren't.
    I really don't think it's a matter of sexuality, it's the desire to not smell like urine. If I or others that I've asked their opinion told me they smelled sex, and not urine, I'd buy a big white bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in South Africa the guys who market Kouros are pushing it big time in the print media at the moment.

The last time I saw a Kouros ad was about 8/9 years ago, and then about 2 months ago Kouros ads/promos started appearing again in mags.

I must be honest, I have never seen anyone even testing in stores or buying it or wearing it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't associate the smell of urine with sex, but I know there are people who do like that sort of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I think certain parts of Europe, Men are allowed to smell a little "Bold" not so in North Europe or in the States

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I have NEVER smelled Kouros on anyone here in Miami. Which is why when I wear it (on those rare, hot days...when I have the urge), I feel like I am wearing a niche scent, since I'm sure noone is used to smelling it. The last time I wore it, it was an outdoor event, and the scent positively shimmered all around me, from just one spray.

BTW - I don't think it smells like urine or sex at all. It just smells good. Mind you, I have a very old, mini bottle (from the 70's).

Post Thanks / Like

Great post! Never felt it on anyone + get frowns from the SA when I ask them what they think of Kouros...

I smell it sometimes, always on men that are at least 50. They probably started wearing it when they were young and stayed loyal. I do think Kouros can be pulled of quite easily by someone who is in his twenties, but I doubt someone who has grown up with fresh, "clean" scents will be willing to try it.

This is a interesting post - I believe like Azzaro Pour Homme is Kouros is very popular in Europe and other countries. I don't think USA sales make a dent at least I don't

Post Thanks / Like

I think some previous posters are correct that many buyers have been buying consistently since the '80s.

While I do love Kouros, I can't imagine it attracting many new wearers in today's frag environment.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 25th January 2010 at 03:12 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike a lot of your average mainstream fragrances, Kouros has a very dedicated following. Its admirers (like me) tend to be very hardcore fans of this scent, and we will always buy and have a bottle of Kouros within close reach. Few fragrances elicit such hardcore dedication, and that dedication can make a lot of money for YSL!

I know the minute I run out of Kouros, I'll be out buying another bottle.

P.S. Oops, I just read Informer's post, and he already stated what I just said. Sorry to repeat the sentiment.
    Last edited by shamu1; 25th January 2010 at 01:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

the real mystery here is ..
    Why someone would dredge up a near meaningless 4year old thread ?
    & where in the posts above did he find that quote that made him laugh ?
    sables ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, It does indeed seem a mystery, though, as I find it, Kouros is appreciated though from a mature crowd. A crowd of whom find
    that this "Urinal" Note is defiinitely crass and is completely carried out by a void and conjurement of sensual musks. Erotic and Refined!
    For me it's all about a propper whiff when in contex of "Kouros

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright, Basenoters. Own up. Who's been stockpiling Kouros?

Post Thanks / Like

I always ask the SA at Perfumania if I'm STILL the only one she's sold Kouros to. She answers, "yes."
    Last edited by kxe003; 27th January 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22 View Post
    Interesting post...
    Personally, I have NEVER smelled Kouros on anyone else....
    Incidentally, I wore "Kouros Fraiche" the other day to bed after a shower and....the wife literally attacked me saying how great I smelled...only one other scent (Lolita Lempicka) has solicited that kind of WILD reaction!
    I'll have to try Regular Kouros another time.
    IMO, Kouros is one of the best scents available. A friend of mine was wearing it this weekend and it smelled great! These urinal cake comments get old as they have no bearing on the actual scent. I'm intrigued by your post concerning Kouros Fraiche. I must try it

please delete double post
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 28th January 2010 at 03:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just reading this thread made it just irresistible not to spray some Kouros........Just 2 sprays and whoaaaaaaaaao.........This stuff is just fantastic.......

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly haven't been stockpiling. I have a bottle of regular Kouros and recently picked up Fraicheur. I have received compliments when wearing Kouros. It does really smell beautiful on my skin. On the card, I was offended. I have Basenotes to thank for introducing me to this beauty.
    The same is true for Paco Rabanne PH. When I first smelled it in the store on a card I was assaulted by the sharpness. Now, I wear this regularly to work. Again, I can thank Basenotes here.
    I have learned that I need to smell a scent on my skin to decide if its for me. For example, I love the smell of Guerlain Vetiver, but it just doesnt smell good on my skin. I have been into cologne for about 4-5 yrs now (again thanks to BN) and I tend to prefer fougeres.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Unlike a lot of your average mainstream fragrances, Kouros has a very dedicated following. Its admirers (like me) tend to be very hardcore fans of this scent, and we will always buy and have a bottle of Kouros within close reach. Few fragrances elicit such hardcore dedication, and that dedication can make a lot of money for YSL!

I know the minute I run out of Kouros, I'll be out buying another bottle.

P.S. Oops, I just read Informer's post, and he already stated what I just said. Sorry to repeat the sentiment.
    Shamu....you meant to say that when you run out of Kouros, you will be buying the 99ml I have left or swapping me something for it. Not only do I not wish to smell like an unwashed wrestler while waiting for Kouros's magnificent dry down, but my wife told me the other day that I should ONLY wear Kouros while I am mowing the lawn. What an endorsement!

I have never smelled Kouros in Germany.. I wear it and I am unique here.
    I am 24 and teenagers or mid 20´ tend to buy 1 Milion, Le Male, Aqua Di Gio, Chanel Allure, Terre D´Hermes and so on.

Kouros is probably bought by old men, who have used Kouros since 80´.

I love this scent with Bvlgari Black.