Code of Conduct

Default New: Polo "Double" Black by Ralph Lauren.

From WWD.com

Name: Polo Double Black
    Brand: Ralph Lauren (L'Oreal)
    Nose: Ellen Molner (Givaudan)
    Packaging: Bormioli Rocco

Polo Double Black is an Oriental fragrance, a first for Ralph Lauren.
    top: mango and pepper
    heart: roasted coffee and Indonesian nutmeg
    base: rich woods, cardamom and juniper berry spices.

Though both Polo Double Black and Polo Black use mango as the opening accord, Polo Black emits a freshness, while Double Black offers a spicy aromatic Oriental fusion. "The Polo Double black is more individual and more edgy": said Signe Gammeltoft, president of Ralph Lauren Fragrances Worldwide.

Comes in the same bottle as Polo Black but with a matte black bottle and glossy black cap.

Launch October.

Default Re: New: Polo "Double" Black by Ralph Lauren.

I haven´t given up hope 100% on RL (probably cause I´m smelling my heavenly bottle of Safari as I write) so who knows... I´ll try it that´s for sure, the notes do sound okay.

MMM

Double the bore?

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    Double the bore?
    Heh, reminds me of my take on John Tesh and Yanni: Double the keyboards, half the music.

Seriously though, I hope RL DB is more complex than Black.
    There is no Nose....

I'm trying very hard not to let myself get excited for that coffee accord in the middle... those berries in the basenote could esaily ruin it...

Basenotes Plus

Phooey! I want RL Amber!!!

EDIT: Mediocre witticism respectfully retracted, as Stu had already beaten me to it in the Prada thread.
    Last edited by Joel_Cairo; 30th June 2006 at 01:34 PM.

Sounds more promising than Prada. Thanks again cedric.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    Heh, reminds me of my take on John Tesh and Yanni: Double the keyboards, half the music.
    Hah! Good one, Olfa!

If he does this right, chances are he will have the American market begging for more Orientals and squash the fruity, aquatic, fresh market!! The American market will have to buckle and force warmer scents out there by demand.

This is good news I tell ya', IF he does it right! It might change market preference to deeper scents. The market was just shy of close during '98 and '99, when stuff like Allure, Carven Homme, Diesel Zero Plus, Casual Friday, Ck Contradiction, and Rochas Man, but, excuse the pun, the whole place was already flooded with Aquatics! The whole mindset was about being fresh, and even fresher!

Hopefully the new market focus on men is the more serious, discerning, complex gent.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    If he does this right, chances are he will have the American market begging for more Orientals and squash the fruity, aquatic, fresh market!! The American market will have to buckle and force warmer scents out there by demand.

Hopefully the new market focus on men is the more serious, discerning, complex gent.
    It's already happening.

A spokesperson for BPI USA said at the announcement of Gaultier2 availability in the US that the men's market is shifting in the direction of sensual orientals and away from the aquatics.

And I guess that ol' Ralph Lauren read his lips. Turns out that the five biggest US market launches this fall (Polo Double Black, Euphoria for Men, Burberry London for Men, Gaultier2, and Prada Amber PH) are all orientals so far.

On a side note, I guess Giorgio Armani started the aquatic trend (Acqua di Gio) and is starting the oriental trend (with Armani Code; the #2 seller in the US).
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Also, I just got done talking with one of my former High School teachers. He said that by the time school got out this year, his computer/tech students were starting to stop their usage of Acqua di Gio in massive quantities.

Their new weapon of choice? Angel Men. That chocolatey smell even creeped into their conversations.

The Roman Empire. The Ming Dynasty. The Acqua di Gio Juggernaut. Nothing lasts forever.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    Also, I just got done talking with one of my former High School teachers. He said that by the time school got out this year, his computer/tech students were starting to stop their usage of Acqua di Gio in massive quantities.

Their new weapon of choice? Angel Men. That chocolatey smell even creeped into their conversations.

The Roman Empire. The Ming Dynasty. The Acqua di Gio Juggernaut. Nothing lasts forever.
    Lets hope they won't overdose themselves with Amen during summer! I rather have someone fuming AdG during a hot summer day than being suffocate with Amen. "Chocolate melts in summer heat" - this should be a warning label on every bottle of Amen.

Regarding this Double Polo Black, I must say I am intrigue! I really really hope it will smells like Black coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    I'm trying very hard not to let myself get excited for that coffee accord in the middle... those berries in the basenote could esaily ruin it...
    I was thinking t he same thing. I can't fathom a berry smell with my coffee but who knows......

I'm surprised to see juniper berry in the basenotes, but hopefully the word spices might lend another aspect of the note, perhaps sharper and more cinnamon like.

I'm noticing that there isn't anything in there to smooth the scent over like myrrh or vanilla, although I think the cardamom in there will keep it from being heavy.

I wonder about longevity...the original Black barely stuck for two hours on me.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    It's already happening.

A spokesperson for BPI USA said at the announcement of Gaultier2 availability in the US that the men's market is shifting in the direction of sensual orientals and away from the aquatics.

And I guess that ol' Ralph Lauren read his lips. Turns out that the five biggest US market launches this fall (Polo Double Black, Euphoria for Men, Burberry London for Men, Gaultier2, and Prada Amber PH) are all orientals so far.

On a side note, I guess Giorgio Armani started the aquatic trend (Acqua di Gio) and is starting the oriental trend (with Armani Code; the #2 seller in the US).

you can also add AUgust's Varvatos Vintage to that list MF